EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #45
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSaphire View Post
So, F80 M3 has been out for awhile now, any comparos between the 550xi and the new F80 M3?
I didn't have the x but I had the M-Sport 550i before my F80 M3 and they really couldn't be more different cars. The 550i was my stealth rocket. It accelerated quickly and was just DEAD quiet! Great comfort and definitely a big car. So if those two things are high on your list of wants then maybe it's the car for you. However, that's where the pros ended for me. The M3 is just light years more responsive, quicker, handles much better. It's just overall SO much more fun to drive. It makes me happy every time I get in it and I've had mine since launch day.
It's the DEAD quiet part that really sucks. well, for me. others will want that. It kills any sporty intentions
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #46
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSaphire View Post
So, F80 M3 has been out for awhile now, any comparos between the 550xi and the new F80 M3?
I didn't have the x but I had the M-Sport 550i before my F80 M3 and they really couldn't be more different cars. The 550i was my stealth rocket. It accelerated quickly and was just DEAD quiet! Great comfort and definitely a big car. So if those two things are high on your list of wants then maybe it's the car for you. However, that's where the pros ended for me. The M3 is just light years more responsive, quicker, handles much better. It's just overall SO much more fun to drive. It makes me happy every time I get in it and I've had mine since launch day.
It's the DEAD quiet part that really sucks. well, for me. others will want that. It kills any sporty intentions
I agree. But let's be honest. I think the 550 was made for the exec looking for quiet luxury. For more $$$$, the M5 will give you that real aggressiveness you want in this segment.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #47
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
now that my 550 is officially gone and I'm in my m4, i wanted to comment on the differences. I miss the 550 seats (ventilated and massage), loved the large idrive screen, soft touch doors, but really only miss the awd pull off the line in crappy weather. but the m4 is pure driving joy: love the sounds, steering, newer idrive/nav, the balance and the "experience"
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #48
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

These are two very different cars. From a money for stuff point of view, the 550 is a better deal because it uses a lot more materials (and better materials). BMW definitely makes more by selling a M3 vs a 550. Also 550 today is much cheaper than M3 because you can probably get 8000 off under many circumstances, while there isn't much off on M3. This results in significant leasing (and of course buying) payment differences even if the cars have similar MSRPs.

Now, to boil it down, M3 is fast, nimble, but stiff (not as comfortable) and very loud (car and driver measures it at 76 dbs at 70mph cruising, that's seriously loud, like having a vacuum cleaner on the whole time you are cruising...)

550 is luxurious, comfortable, quiet, and fast, but not as fast, and definitely not nimble

Basically, do you want speed and handling or do you want comfort?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #49
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
These are two very different cars. From a money for stuff point of view, the 550 is a better deal because it uses a lot more materials (and better materials). BMW definitely makes more by selling a M3 vs a 550.
Not trying to slam your post as it was mostly on point but I'd wager the above is incorrect. Think about, on the M3 more than 50% of parts are unique to the car from the brakes, to the entire suspension, to the subframe, to the engine, to the hood, to the roof, to the seats, to the dash, to the wheels, to the widened track, to the exhaust system, to the cooling system to the transmissions etc.

On a 550, the only thing different between a 520d, a 525d, a 528i, a 530d and a 535i is the engine. Everything else is carried over. This exact engine is also found in the 7-Series, X5, X6, 6-Series as well as the 5-series.

Yes, the 5 is a bigger and more luxurious car than the 3 and yes BMW makes a profit on every car they sell, but look at how many 5-series are sold compared to M3s and you'll have your answer as to whether the 550i (think of cost needed to make a 528i a 550i) or M3 makes more profit per unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #50
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post

Now, to boil it down, M3 is fast, nimble, but stiff (not as comfortable) and very loud (car and driver measures it at 76 dbs at 70mph cruising, that's seriously loud, like having a vacuum cleaner on the whole time you are cruising...)

550 is luxurious, comfortable, quiet, and fast, but not as fast, and definitely not nimble

Basically, do you want speed and handling or do you want comfort?
My 2015 550xi is stupid fast, indeed faster than I can ever drive it (monster Twin Turbo V8 with 20 more horses and 75 more torques than that wimpy run of the mill 3.0L 6 cylinder ((I kid I kid ) supremely comfortable (large, plush heated and cooled multi comfort seats with adjustable bolsters), with handling limits I could never even hope to approach (unless one is a pro driver, he/she won't either) , much moar room inside with moar better materials and finishes, huge trunk, quiet at cruise speeds (no fake engine sounds and vacuum cleaner drone at 70 mph) and all season capability with the extra measure of safety with BMW's excellent all wheel drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post

On a 550, the only thing different between a 520d, a 525d, a 528i, a 530d and a 535i is the engine. Everything else is carried over.
nothing can be further from the truth.

Last edited by PawnStar; 12-14-2014 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #51
xnu
Private
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
My 2015 550xi is stupid fast, indeed faster than I can ever drive it (monster Twin Turbo V8 with 20 more horses and 75 more torques than that wimpy run of the mill 3.0L 6 cylinder ((I kid I kid ) supremely comfortable (large, plush heated and cooled multi comfort seats with adjustable bolsters), with handling limits I could never even hope to approach (unless one is a pro driver, he/she won't either) , much moar room inside with moar better materials and finishes, huge trunk, quiet at cruise speeds (no fake engine sounds and vacuum cleaner drone at 70 mph) and all season capability with the extra measure of safety with BMW's excellent all wheel drive.

Smells like a troll.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #52
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnu View Post
Smells like a troll.
You must be smelling your upper lip, dude
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #53
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:

Please enlighten us...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #54
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Please enlighten us...
You mean enlighten you. Nah, got better things to do...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #55
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:

I came from a 2013 Dinan Stage 3 550i with considerably more power than a stock 550xi...and while it was fast and comfortable in a straight line...those were its highlights. If you can't approach that pigs handling limits...you seriously dont know how to drive.

The car is 800lbs heavier than an M3, and handles like a barge. Please dont begin to try and compare it to the F80....totally different cars.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #56
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-TownM3
Quote:

I came from a 2013 Dinan Stage 3 550i with considerably more power than a stock 550xi...and while it was fast and comfortable in a straight line...those were its highlights. If you can't approach that pigs handling limits...you seriously dont know how to drive.

The car is 800lbs heavier than an M3, and handles like a barge. Please dont begin to try and compare it to the F80....totally different cars.
Right there with you. it's also missing that fun factor, you don't want to explore the limits. yes, it's fast and comfortable but I never wanted to just go for a drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 05:03 AM   #57
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-TownM3 View Post
If you can't approach that pigs handling limits...you seriously dont know how to drive.

The car...handles like a barge.
I'll bite: A pig? A barge? You must be a hot shoe, since you know so much about performance driving. What exactly are your pro driver credentials to make such bold statements? (Hint: high school drivers education class does not count).

Last edited by PawnStar; 12-15-2014 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #58
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
I'll bite: A pig? A barge? You must be a hot shoe, since you you know so much about performance driving. What exactly are your pro driver credentials to make such bold statements? (Hint: high school drivers education class does not count).
I had an f10 550i M-sport before and it's like driving a fast couch. It will turn, but it isn't going to be happy about it.. It's really mushy and floaty, hence the nickname I gave it...the black cloud, and feels even heavier than it is. I gave it to my (now ex-) wife and got an X5 50i instead, which was much more fun and has a better feel, and it more agile and tossable despite weighing more. The N63 is a great engine, though, and the 550 is probably faster than an e9x M3 in many situations...in a straight like anyway. It's definitely not as fast as the F8x M3/4 in stock form...it may have more power but it weighs much more. The only advantage a 550xi would have is in off-the-line traction.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #59
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
I'll bite: A pig? A barge? You must be a hot shoe, since you you know so much about performance driving. What exactly are your pro driver credentials to make such bold statements? (Hint: high school drivers education class does not count).
You don't need to be a professional driver to know this. Just owning/driving the car for 2 years provided me an experienced opinion.

But please keep up the passive-aggressive, witty arguments. I won't be biting.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #60
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-TownM3 View Post

Yeah, I agree. I still have my Dinan S2 hippo and she is scary fast. I tell my wife to keep the RPMs low so I can return my lease in one piece. I push it to the limit and often enjoy the 4500 RPM Dinan power Like you said, if you don't know how to handle this much power, you'll find yourself in trouble really fast (pun intended). Having said that, can't wait to get rid of her for the F80.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 04:14 AM   #61
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ive owned 2015 550xi now since about October, drove it through the entire North East winter on stock all season rubber and have had a chance to reflect on the entire ownership experience. In short, awesome machine. Rock solid reliability, stupendous traction in snow, great utility and comfort, more power than can ever be responsibly used on public roads.

Those that have claimed that stock F80/82 'faster than' and 'will blow the doors off' the 'heavy barge' 'fast couch' 550xi in a drag race are encouraged to come forward so we can set up a track day to find out if indeed it's true
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #62
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Been a few months since I posted my love for the M over the 550, I recently had a new 550 as a loaner. Great cushy ride but it felt HUGE, couldn't believe how big it felt.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #63
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

lol this thread
      07-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #64
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Ive owned 2015 550xi now since about October, drove it through the entire North East winter on stock all season rubber and have had a chance to reflect on the entire ownership experience. In short, awesome machine. Rock solid reliability, stupendous traction in snow, great utility and comfort, more power than can ever be responsibly used on public roads.

Those that have claimed that stock F80/82 'faster than' and 'will blow the doors off' the 'heavy barge' 'fast couch' 550xi in a drag race are encouraged to come forward so we can set up a track day to find out if indeed it's true
Be serious. Just go drive an M4 and you will see the difference. I looked online for some track times or videos on a 550i, but not surprisingly, there aren't any. You know why? Everyone knows a 550i doesn't belong on a track. Seeing as how it weighs 700+ lbs more, is a second slower in the 1/4 mi with 10 mph slower trap speed, and pulls 0.84g (vs. 1.00g for the M4), poor slalom performance (almost 10 mph slower than the M4!), etc...I think you can see that the odds are not in your favor. The 550i is a nice car, no doubt, but it's more luxury oriented. Hence, fast couch. Enjoy it for what it is.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #65
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

Aren't you being a little delusional here?

The 550i is a fantastic "full size" performance sedan. But it is in a very different market segment than the M3. The M3 is designed as a daily driver that you can take to the track. The 550 is just no match for an M3 on a track. Heck, an M4 beat the 30 jahre M5 with 600hp around a road course in a recent comparo .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #66
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Lets not forget the M3 is underrated, so 425hp is actually more like 460 at the crank, so that's higher than the 550. Add in the 1000+ extra weight, the slushbox and last but certainly important is the AWD!! That sucks power away in addition to extra weight for the extra differential.

One will feel pretty porky and soft, the other not. Even the M5 has been said to be very soft from previous iterations.
Appreciate 0