European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
edb4164
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW ///M4

Question Do I have this trickle charger connected correctly?

Hi everyone,

Just recently purchased a CTEK 56-926 LiFePO trickle charger as suggested for my 2017 M4. The car will be parked for at least 4 months here in northeastern Pennsylvania during these snowy and cold months.

This is the first time I’m doing this and I’d like you to see the attached photo to determine if I have the black (ground cable) hooked to a good spot on the car.

Also, please see attached photo of the lights that are stationary on the charger, this is as of about 15 minutes ago. I read the CTEK manual and am still confused as to what each light means.

Any information is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Yes, you have the cables connected correctly. The black cable is connected to the designated ground location in the engine compartment.

For an faster and more permanent connection, I strongly recommend the CTEK Comfort Connect Indicator Eyelet. The version you want is the 56-382 with M8 eyelets: https://smartercharger.com/collectio...dicator-eyelet, available here on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
RS->M->?
Protomotive 996TT, Switzer GTR, 18M3, B7 RS4
Rep
Drives: 996tt, GTR, M3, B7 RS4

yes
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Yes, you have the cables connected correctly. The black cable is connected to the designated ground location in the engine compartment.

For an faster and more permanent connection, I strongly recommend the CTEK Comfort Connect Indicator Eyelet. The version you want is the 56-382 with M8 eyelets: https://smartercharger.com/collectio...dicator-eyelet, available here on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...UTF8&psc=1
Yes to going the m8 eyelet "comfort connect" route.

Thanks for your previous post on this, fits our bay perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
edb4164
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

For an faster and more permanent connection, I strongly recommend the CTEK Comfort Connect Indicator Eyelet. The version you want is the 56-382 with M8 eyelets: https://smartercharger.com/collectio...dicator-eyelet, available here on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My CTEK charger came with those eyelets in the box, however, how do you connect those? I don’t see a hole on top of the positive or negative connector where I can screw down into with the eyelets in between. Any help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
chatoyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb4164 View Post
My CTEK charger came with those eyelets in the box, however, how do you connect those? I don’t see a hole on top of the positive or negative connector where I can screw down into with the eyelets in between. Any help is appreciated!
I had the same question so went snooping around on YouTube. Found this. Looks easy enough, but at the end of the day I can’t help wonder how this is more efficient than just using the alligator clips (apart from one less thing to connect when using the eyelets). I’ll prob stick my just using my gator clips and having my hood open.

https://youtu.be/2Cm3cxV72Vc
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Both the positive and negative connection points in the engine compartment can be unscrewed. If you don't have the correctly sized star socket, use a pair of pliers or channel locks. Loosen and remove the connectors, put the M8 eyelet on the bolts underneath the connection points, then re-attach and tighten the connection points.

Here's a link to my post from last year showing how I attached the CTEK Comfort Eyelet for both my M4 and my wife's M3: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=19. I used a different bolt on her car to attach the negative eyelet because she had my car and I couldn't remember how I did it 2 years previously.

I also use these on my Z4 M Roadster. Since this car doesn't get driven frequently, I have a different CTEK charger that I use with that car and it stays connected unless I decide to drive it. When I want to drive it, I pop the hood, unplug the charger and I'm ready to go. With the Comfort Eyelet you don't have to worry about accidentally closing the hood on the alligator clamps and causing a dent in the hood. You also don't have to worry about the alligator clamps touching each other.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
edb4164
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both the positive and negative connection points in the engine compartment can be unscrewed. If you don't have the correctly sized star socket, use a pair of pliers or channel locks. Loosen and remove the connectors, put the M8 eyelet on the bolts underneath the connection points, then re-attach and tighten the connection points.

Here's a link to my post from last year showing how I attached the CTEK Comfort Eyelet for both my M4 and my wife's M3: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=19. I used a different bolt on her car to attach the negative eyelet because she had my car and I couldn't remember how I did it 2 years previously.

I also use these on my Z4 M Roadster. Since this car doesn't get driven frequently, I have a different CTEK charger that I use with that car and it stays connected unless I decide to drive it. When I want to drive it, I pop the hood, unplug the charger and I'm ready to go. With the Comfort Eyelet you don't have to worry about accidentally closing the hood on the alligator clamps and causing a dent in the hood. You also don't have to worry about the alligator clamps touching each other.
Very good points about the alligator clips causing a dent in the hood if they aren’t position correctly. I had worry while slamming the hood shut today. Thankfully, all was well.

Isn’t the red star socket connected to something? So if I unscrew it to attach the eyelet below, wouldn’t it disconnect from wiring or some sort of terminal to the battery that runs to the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:24 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Isn’t the red star socket connected to something? So if I unscrew it to attach the eyelet below, wouldn’t it disconnect from wiring or some sort of terminal to the battery that runs to the trunk?
Yes, but that's all below the post. The post doesn't hold anything on, it's just there to provide a positive battery connection. I've installed the indicator eyelet on 4 different BMWs, my wife's 2011 335is Coupe (which got moved to her M3), my M4, and our Z4 M Roadster, with no problems.

Appreciate 0