R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
MthreeComp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

HK speaker upgrade...

Bimmer tech alpha one vs. bavsound with stock hk amp till the f80 m3 amp version becomes available.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Cars are the new horse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Bavsound makes a huge difference on the HK. The underseat woofers are the biggest improvement. I’ve also been told that Bavsound has an amp/DSP that will replace the HK amp coming out in Q1 2020, so if you go that route, you’d have a matched system. Of course that means waiting, and it always could be vaporware.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
MthreeComp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Bavsound makes a huge difference on the HK. The underseat woofers are the biggest improvement. I've also been told that Bavsound has an amp/DSP that will replace the HK amp coming out in Q1 2020, so if you go that route, you'd have a matched system. Of course that means waiting, and it always could be vaporware.
Yea I know, I had the bavsound upgrade to the hk in my f15 on the stock hk amp.it a total difference once you hit the break in period, i was just curious about the bimmer tech alpha one.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
Cars are the new horse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev... View Post
Yea I know, I had the bavsound upgrade to the hk in my f15 on the stock hk amp.it a total difference once you hit the break in period, i was just curious about the bimmer tech alpha one.
It’s a relatively new product. I did a lot of searches and found more info on the F32 forum than this one. That said, no one has done a direct comparison in the same vehicle model (one guy compared Alpha One in his F32 to Bavsound in an older car but I didn’t consider that a fair comparison).

The bottom line is that they’re both “direct to consumer” models at about the same price point and thus are probably similar in quality. They both use non-paper materials, except that Alpha One uses paper on their underseat woofers whereas Bavsound does not. Bimmertech has posted in these threads saying that they went with the paper because it sounded better in the test models, which may be true.

One other factor is that Bavsound allegedly has the upgrade amp coming out in 6 months. I’m not sure whether or not Bimmertech does. The Bavsound amp will have DSP settings for stock speakers and Bavsound speakers. That may be reason to pick Bavsound if the amp is something that you will go for, but keep in mind that it could end up being vaporware.

I do not work for either company or have inside information. The information above may be incorrect — I’m simply relying on what others have said.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I would like to know this also.

I decided against this only because meddling with the equalizers helped me enough on the HK in my 18 that I didn't see 100% necessity for it. The other part was, my OCD didn't really allow people to tear up my interior to do all of this to begin with.

Would like to know though. Started a thread to ask few months back, even when I had my 15 M4. Got... absolutely no where, everyone has their own opinion on the matter and especially sound is subjective it's hard to get a direct answer.
      07-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
Cars are the new horse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I would like to know this also.

I decided against this only because meddling with the equalizers helped me enough on the HK in my 18 that I didn't see 100% necessity for it. The other part was, my OCD didn't really allow people to tear up my interior to do all of this to begin with.

Would like to know though. Started a thread to ask few months back, even when I had my 15 M4. Got... absolutely no where, everyone has their own opinion on the matter and especially sound is subjective it's hard to get a direct answer.
I think that the difficulty and cost of the DSP/amp upgrade and the general “ok-ness” of the system has severely limited the number of people who are willing to upgrade. When searching, it’s helpful to also check the F30/F32 forums.

I’m still thinking about it, but honestly it’s probably too much money without the guarantee of expected improvement. For me, it probably depends on if there really is a plug and play amp solution coming.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:16 AM   #7
larsek
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

hey, any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 05:46 PM   #8
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i | Z3 2.8 | F30 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars are the new horse View Post
I think that the difficulty and cost of the DSP/amp upgrade and the general “ok-ness” of the system has severely limited the number of people who are willing to upgrade. When searching, it’s helpful to also check the F30/F32 forums.

I’m still thinking about it, but honestly it’s probably too much money without the guarantee of expected improvement. For me, it probably depends on if there really is a plug and play amp solution coming.
I'll guarantee expected improvement https://integralaudio.com/soundstagedsp-ultra.html

The MatchUp7 (which is what the Bavsound amp is) is LESS powerful than the HK amp in all current gen and most previous BMWs...

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      11-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #9
JButz6342
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Guarantee how? ANY expected improvement? Seriously considering your product.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #10
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

LOL the ghost subwoofers provide a minimum upgrade. this car simply cannot hit the mid bass.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
JButz6342
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
LOL the ghost subwoofers provide a minimum upgrade. this car simply cannot hit the mid bass.
Yeah that was my experience too. That's why I'm looking for something else.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #12
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JButz6342 View Post
Yeah that was my experience too. That's why I'm looking for something else.
same man. sounds system is totally third class for "harmon kardon" just more brand dilution lol. some stock systems sound way better than my HK
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #13
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin @ Integral Audio View Post
I'll guarantee expected improvement https://integralaudio.com/soundstagedsp-ultra.html

The MatchUp7 (which is what the Bavsound amp is) is LESS powerful than the HK amp in all current gen and most previous BMWs...
Black Friday sale?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #14
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JButz6342 View Post
Guarantee how? ANY expected improvement? Seriously considering your product.
Well, like this: try our SoundstageDSP™ Ultra. If you don't get the improvement you expect send it back. To be fair, others offer similarly decent return policies. The difference is that we don't get returns. And this is the best product we've ever made. I'll be shocked/embarrassed if we ever get one back.

I'll go this far with it: if you don't love it, we'll pay to have it uninstalled (or credit you $250 if you DIY the install).

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #15
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Black Friday sale?
Maybe. Be tough on the SoundstageDSP™ Ultra since it is already discounted $1,000 at pre-order pricing. But if there is interest we'll try to make something work. Would love to get more folks on Bimmerpost talking about it - there is lot's of chatter/traffic about other products on here, I can assure you ours is better

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #16
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Maybe. Be tough on the SoundstageDSP™ Ultra since it is already discounted $1,000 at pre-order pricing. But if there is interest we'll try to make something work. Would love to get more folks on Bimmerpost talking about it - there is lot's of chatter/traffic about other products on here, I can assure you ours is better
I'll be more than happy to be a reviewer if you are willing to work on BF pricing. I used to run Tru Bullets and Morel/Seas 3-way active with a dex-p99rs. The problem is most people aren't crazy audiophiles and see that a full system at $3k is a bargain compared to some of the crazy stuff people out there run.

Your ARC Amps are pretty solid too...
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #17
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I'm interested in this Phantom. Would be interested in Black Friday
pricing. https://integralaudio.com/phantomtm-...eries-f30.html

Does this come with a wiring harness that taps into the line level low frequencies?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 02:06 AM   #18
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Well, like this: try our SoundstageDSP™ Ultra. If you don't get the improvement you expect send it back. To be fair, others offer similarly decent return policies. The difference is that we don't get returns. And this is the best product we've ever made. I'll be shocked/embarrassed if we ever get one back.

I'll go this far with it: if you don't love it, we'll pay to have it uninstalled (or credit you $250 if you DIY the install).
What would it cost to install your whole system typically? I am a DIYEr but this looks like a lot of work. I live in Los Angeles specifically 90025 and saw that Al and Eds in Marina del rey is one of your authorized dealers. If I call them and ask about this specific upgrade, would they know it?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #19
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I'll be more than happy to be a reviewer if you are willing to work on BF pricing. I used to run Tru Bullets and Morel/Seas 3-way active with a dex-p99rs. The problem is most people aren't crazy audiophiles and see that a full system at $3k is a bargain compared to some of the crazy stuff people out there run.

Your ARC Amps are pretty solid too...
Thanks

Decided to run 15% off site-wide for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. This even applies to the already $1,000 discounted pre-order pricing on the SoundstageDSP Ultra. Use code BFCM2019 at checkout.

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #20
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
I'm interested in this Phantom. Would be interested in Black Friday
pricing. https://integralaudio.com/phantomtm-...eries-f30.html
15% off from now thru end of (cyber) Monday....code BFCM2019 at checkout

Quote:
Does this come with a wiring harness that taps into the line level low frequencies?
No, recommend using Technic's harness if you are going to go that route. Just note that you are NOT getting a flat signal if you do it this way - the underseat woofer signal has significant EQ. See my other posts on this for more detail. This is why we don't offer an amplified subwoofer package - by the time you add what's required to get a flat input signal you're most of the way to a full SoundstageDSP Ultra.

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #21
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
What would it cost to install your whole system typically? I am a DIYEr but this looks like a lot of work. I live in Los Angeles specifically 90025 and saw that Al and Eds in Marina del rey is one of your authorized dealers. If I call them and ask about this specific upgrade, would they know it?
I do not believe Al & Ed's at Marina del Rey has installed a SoundstageDSP Ultra, but they have done lots of our other regular Soundstage's in BMW and MINI's. The SoundstageDSP Ultra is simpler and easier than our older products.

I'll be adding another installer to that recommended list also: Haas Entertainment in Culver City. Jorge there has done a SoundstageDSP Ultra, highly recommended.

I did not ask cost from Haas, but I would budget $500-600 for a quality, skilled shop. Also, FWIW, the installation is really not difficult. There's really very little difference in installation between the SoundstageDSP Ultra and the more simple/basic offerings from Bavsound or Bimmertech. 90% of the work is simply removing/reinstalling interior trim/panels/etc. The instructions may look long/daunting, but a big part of that is because they are extremely detailed - we make zero assumptions, and we show every little step so there is no confusion. If you need to know it, we include it.

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #22
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
15% off from now thru end of (cyber) Monday....code BFCM2019 at checkout

No, recommend using Technic's harness if you are going to go that route. Just note that you are NOT getting a flat signal if you do it this way - the underseat woofer signal has significant EQ. See my other posts on this for more detail. This is why we don't offer an amplified subwoofer package - by the time you add what's required to get a flat input signal you're most of the way to a full SoundstageDSP Ultra.
What kind of subwoofer is in the Phantom? Is this at least comparable to a JL 10w3v4?
Appreciate 0