BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

02-19-2021, 09:02 PM   #1
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Venoxy F8X/F3X Gauges

I received my Venoxy BMW F3X/F8X colored gauges. The design is different than the BMW E9X M3 gauges, which have an adhesive backing. The OEM gauges are two pieces with raised surfaces, so these custom gauges have a flat back and a thicker raised profile.

https://venoxy.com/en/main/753-bmw-f...-mph-gray.html
Added the ///M logo (like the E9X M3 gauges) and F8X arrows on the F3X design. F3X gauge page is missing most colors for the MPH selection (except red), but they make all the colors shown for the F8X M3/M4.

These photos show the raised profile on an F3X/F8X. The numbers are raises and the inner and outer sections of the gauge are sunk.

https://mashimarho.com/collections/b...31847849853027

Lord Venon got back to me and provided some beautiful DIY install instructions for the new F3X/F8X gauge faces. They replace the original gauge faces. There is a metal/plastic ring that holds the new gauges in place under the needles. You pop the ring out and install the gauges, then replace the ring.

So if you ordered the F3X/F8X custom gauges, ask for the F3X/F8X gauge install pdf, while waiting for the shipment from Poland.

Also order tiny plastic trim tools, while waiting. You need to put thin cardboard under the trim tool, while working on the delicate gauges faces when popping the needles and ring.

Cheers

Last edited by nyc_dude; 02-22-2021 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Any pics of your gauges?

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

Seconded. Very interested to see more pics of this
      03-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #4
IRNM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post
I received my Venoxy BMW F3X/F8X colored gauges. The design is different than the BMW E9X M3 gauges, which have an adhesive backing. The OEM gauges are two pieces with raised surfaces, so these custom gauges have a flat back and a thicker raised profile.

Added the ///M logo (like the E9X M3 gauges) and F8X arrows on the F3X design. F3X gauge page is missing most colors for the MPH selection (except red), but they make all the colors shown for the F8X M3/M4.

These photos show the raised profile on an F3X/F8X. The numbers are raises and the inner and outer sections of the gauge are sunk.

Lord Venon got back to me and provided some beautiful DIY install instructions for the new F3X/F8X gauge faces. They replace the original gauge faces. There is a metal/plastic ring that holds the new gauges in place under the needles. You pop the ring out and install the gauges, then replace the ring.

So if you ordered the F3X/F8X custom gauges, ask for the F3X/F8X gauge install pdf, while waiting for the shipment from Poland.

Also order tiny plastic trim tools, while waiting. You need to put thin cardboard under the trim tool, while working on the delicate gauges faces when popping the needles and ring.

Cheers

Can you share the DIY guide? I am curious to see how much trouble it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The F3X/F8X Venoxy gauge overlay pics installed are on the Venoxy website. The only difference is that I added the ///M logo (like the E9X M3 design) and arrows around the perimeter like an F8X style gauge. Look great during the day and at night. E9X M3 gauges are much much cooler looking than the F8X M3/M3 gauges.

Install is the same as the BMW E9X M3 that is all over youtube. Needles can be pulled off with your fingers. The only difference is that these are not stickers, but solid pieces of plastic that sit in place. They are held in place by the silver surrounds and a metal ring.

The main difference in the installation is the metal ring under the needles that holds the speedo/tach gauges in place is hard to remove. So you need a set of precision screwdrivers to carefully pry it out. Larger plastic trim tools are too big. I just ordered smaller radio trim tools.

Also take some time to clean the clear window with IPA (alcohol) without scratching it. Static dust is hard to remove, so the IPA evaporates, making it easier.

The three cable plugs in the back of the gauge cluster are a pain to remove and reinsert, since you are working blind. All three plugs have different shapes with different release tabs and they plug in vertically. E9X M3 has one giant plug that releases easily.
Get one of those small mirror inspect tools to see the back.

One of the two c-clips for the two T20 screws also disappeared into the dash. Easy to get a replacement.

It is a snap to install on a F3X/F8X vs E9X M3...I just had to redo it to realign some needles that were off, and to clean the window (to remove trapped dust).

Before you go with these Venoxy Gauges, consider a 6WB digital instrument cluster upgrade. HW is $1800 from Bimmertech plus remote coding.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #6
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRNM3 View Post
Quote:

Cheers

Can you share the DIY guide? I am curious to see how much trouble it is.
* 1 Interested in a play by play or video.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
The F3X/F8X Venoxy gauge overlay pics installed are on the Venoxy website. The only difference is that I added the ///M logo (like the E9X M3 design) and arrows around the perimeter like an F8X style gauge. Look great during the day and at night. E9X M3 gauges are much much cooler looking than the F8X M3/M3 gauges.

Install is the same as the BMW E9X M3 that is all over youtube. Needles can be pulled off with your fingers. The only difference is that these are not stickers, but solid pieces of plastic that sit in place. They are held in place by the silver surrounds and a metal ring.

The main difference in the installation is the metal ring under the needles that holds the speedo/tach gauges in place is hard to remove. So you need a set of precision screwdrivers to carefully pry it out. Larger plastic trim tools are too big. I just ordered smaller radio trim tools.

Also take some time to clean the clear window with IPA (alcohol) without scratching it. Static dust is hard to remove, so the IPA evaporates, making it easier.

The three cable plugs in the back of the gauge cluster are a pain to remove and reinsert, since you are working blind. All three plugs have different shapes with different release tabs and they plug in vertically. E9X M3 has one giant plug that releases easily.

One of the two c-clips for the two T20 screws also disappeared into the dash. Easy to get a replacement.

It is a snap to install on a F3X/F8X vs E9X M3...I just had to redo it to realign some needles that were off, and to clean the window (to remove trapped dust).

Before you go with these Venoxy Gauges, consider a 6WB digital instrument cluster upgrade. HW is $1800 from Bimmertech plus remote coding.

Cheers
Is there a way to get the 6wb to work with the f8x's?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 05:11 AM   #8
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Cheers
The website photos are of F30's. Non-marketing photos of an F80 cluster would be great. There are major differences in the dials.
      03-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #9
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
6WB Digital Cluster Bimmertech page. (F3X and F8X compatible).

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...trumentcluster

Cheers

Last edited by nyc_dude; 03-18-2021 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #10
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List

So Yes, there are differences between the F3X and F8X gauges.

M3/M4 Gauges
- Top speed is 200 mph
- 8k+ Revs redline
- Shift lights show thru the clear windows on the tach
- M Logo is in the digital screen under the speedo, so you don't need it printed in the Tach.
- Arrows around the gauges instead of dashes

Pretty simple....UR not inventing cold fusion.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:26 AM   #11
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So Yes, there are differences between the F3X and F8X gauges.

M3/M4 Gauges
- Top speed is 200 mph
- 8k+ Revs redline
- Shift lights show thru the clear windows on the tach
- M Logo is in the digital screen under the speedo, so you don't need it printed in the Tach.
- Arrows around the gauges instead of dashes

Pretty simple....UR not inventing cold fusion.

Cheers
So you don't have pictures of these installed on your F8X?
      03-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #12
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have the Venoxy gauges installed on an F30 335i M-Sport and E90 M3, so there are differences with the F8X M3/M4 gauge design. But on the Venoxy site you can see that the top speed/max rpm and shift light windows are included in the F8X M3/M4 gauge design.

I can't upload photos to bimmerpost.com.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #13
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the Venoxy gauges installed on an F30 335i M-Sport and E90 M3, so there are differences with the F8X M3/M4 gauge design. But on the Venoxy site you can see that the top speed/max rpm and shift light windows are included in the F8X M3/M4 gauge design.

I can't upload photos to bimmerpost.com.

Cheers
Thank you. These look like nice pieces, and the price is good. Might have to go out on a limb and check these out. Cheers.
      03-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #14
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Quote:
6WB Digital Cluster Bimmertech page. (F3X and F8X compatible).

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...trumentcluster

Cheers
I know both you and their site say this is compatible with the F80 platform, and while it might work, you will loose the "M" aspects of the cluster (eg. red needles, backlit M display, higher redline, higher speedometer, etc".
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 05:24 PM   #15
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
I know both you and their site say this is compatible with the F80 platform, and while it might work, you will loose the "M" aspects of the cluster (eg. red needles, backlit M display, higher redline, higher speedometer, etc".
None of that is correct. The photo of the gauge overlays shows the correct
M aspects. The M logo is in the digital display, not the gauge overlays. The photo on the F80 page of the gauge overlays installed in the instrument cluster are actually the F3X gauge overlays.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:16 PM   #16
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
None of that is correct. The photo of the gauge overlays shows the correct
M aspects. The M logo is in the digital display, not the gauge overlays. The photo on the F80 page of the gauge overlays installed in the instrument cluster are actually the F3X gauge overlays.

Cheers
I think he was referring to the 6WB digital cluster, which is not compatible with the F8x (even though the bimmerTech site says M3 & M4).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1