Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #45
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
We are also just completely blowing by the e36, which in its own right, is a beauty. I get it isnt very loved here on the F8x forums, but it is universally appreciated. First youtube video I have appreciated in quite some time that I disagreed with a few points.
I've come to appreciate it in recent years for sure.

Touring car dreams.

Another classically gorgeous 3 series body
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #46
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
For sure it is better performance wise, it is the latest generation, no one would expect it to be worse. How much better is what is in question. 7-years in in chassis and tire tech is substantial, and the latter element is very important. The weakest point of the F8X has always been its stock tires, BMW seem to have rectified that with the G8X.
Tires, a S58 and weight is what it gained.

It lost DCT, a better chassis and looks.
You believe the F8X chassis is better than the G8X?
Yes! Less cost cutting of materials, especially the 15-16.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:25 PM   #47
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

For me the m3 is a package. And the new one doesn't have the "design package". The End

Ps. Why no one is talking about the fact that the Giulia QV (a car from 2016) is only 00:00:02 slower!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #48
verruckt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, G05 X5, Gen 2 Raptor

I've owned and driven all M3s from the E30 through the F82 at this point. I've worked on all up to the E90 as a BMW tech, and have personally known engineers at M.

The F82 M4 is the best one yet capability wise right off the factory. With a few mods (namely suspension) it is insane. It has been the best balance of tech and capability. The first factory FI M3 too.

Just look at the position of the F80 on the lap times at 27:40. It's second place. Behind a 911... almost imperceptibly so. Close enough, that the F82 might have closed that gap, putting it quicker than the 911. Just think about that for a second.

That said, I have zero interest in the new G80/2. Its not what BMW M should be doing. I'll just leave it at that.

Is it quick? Yes.
Is it capable? Yes.
Will it prove as reliable as previous generations? I doubt it.
Is it hideous? zero doubt.
Is it soulless? Bingo.

For the video - not a fan. Not even 3 minutes in and he was claiming the E30 M3 was terrible? Later he goes on about the E46 M3 being the standard? I'll catch flak for this, but the E46 M3 is overrated as shit compared to the E30 and E36 before it, and E90 and F82 after it. People love the engine in the E46 but don't realize that essentially the same engine was in the Euro E36...

I see no reason for the E46 love outside of it being the first car a new generation of BMW enthusiasts got into. It was "affordable" as a used car in a time period when used cars weren't insanely overpriced, and new cars depreciated rapidly. The time period between its release in 2000 and 2009 meant it was widely available for relatively low cost, and without the maintenance of the E36 and E30 which were going on 10 and 20 years old respectively. That is, before federal programs were implemented that absolutely murdered the used car market. That's why its so "loved." Affordability vs capability and availability.

As an M car? The E46 sucked. It was a continuation of the E36, with small evolutions, but with very little change for almost 15 years. There. I said it.
Appreciate 5
      06-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #49
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by verruckt View Post
I've owned and driven all M3s from the E30 through the F82 at this point. I've worked on all up to the E90 as a BMW tech, and have personally known engineers at M.

The F82 M4 is the best one yet capability wise right off the factory. With a few mods (namely suspension) it is insane. It has been the best balance of tech and capability. The first factory FI M3 too.

Just look at the position of the F80 on the lap times at 27:40. It's second place. Behind a 911... almost imperceptibly so. Close enough, that the F82 might have closed that gap, putting it quicker than the 911. Just think about that for a second.

That said, I have zero interest in the new G80/2. Its not what BMW M should be doing. I'll just leave it at that.

Is it quick? Yes.
Is it capable? Yes.
Is it soulless? Bingo.

For the video - not a fan. Not even 3 minutes in and he was claiming the E30 M3 was terrible? Later he goes on about the E46 M3 being the standard? I'll catch flak for this, but the E46 M3 is overrated as shit compared to the E30 and E36 before it, and E90 and F82 after it. People love the engine in the E46 but don't realize that essentially the same engine was in the Euro E36...

I see no reason for the E46 love outside of it being the first car a new generation of BMW enthusiasts got into. It was "affordable" as a used car in a time period when used cars weren't insanely overpriced, and new cars depreciated rapidly. The time period between its release in 2000 and 2009 meant it was widely available for relatively low cost, and without the maintenance of the E36 and E30 which were going on 10 and 20 years old respectively. That is, before federal programs were implemented that absolutely murdered the used car market. That's why its so "loved." Affordability vs capability and availability.

As an M car? The E46 sucked. It was a continuation of the E36, with small evolutions, but with very little change for almost 15 years. There. I said it.
Oh boy, now you done did it...lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      06-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #50
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

F82 is the most well rounded of them all... BY FAR. The only real negative about them is that it was the first serious step into BMW saying "fuck the M brand, lets just make cars for instagram roll racers" without them actually ruining the car. It has excellent power, ridiculous chassis, engine cooling is out of this world, and beauty. The suspension, steering and brakes were trash from the factory but otherwise they managed to balance it while adhering to leaps in emissions and federal safety regulations compared to previous gens.

My favorite will always be the E92 but unless you're driven by purely nostalgia (like me who has a soft spot for that V8 in the E92) and romanticize weird personifications about a car - the F8X was without a doubt the best M3/M4 and it was more successful than a whole lot of cars in performing the "dual role."

G8x is just the next iteration of MPact social media roll race goobers who think mashing a pedal is skilled.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3328.50
      06-16-2021, 04:39 AM   #51
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
no m3 was the 'best' imo. they all did different things. I had a e36, 46, and f80. with a good amount of seat time in the e92.

The best M3 for me would be an F80 with the S65 or shelby voodoo. Turbos just give more drawbacks than benefits for me. You get better mpg, more outright power, less weight... but you lose responsiveness and sound.
Tidbit: the S55 is heavier than the S65

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      06-16-2021, 07:27 AM   #52
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by verruckt View Post

Is it quick? Yes.
Is it capable? Yes.
Is it soulless? Bingo.

All good points....... I still love everything about my F82. I just think the E46 is wonderfully shaped, the lines just grab my eyes, love the look in track spec.....
Appreciate 0