Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #7437
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Thanks fellas. I opted to stick with the base trim. One thing I've noticed is the small leather details really appeal to me, so I've added the leather wrapped steering column and the leather wrapped area by the rear view mirror (..with the matching Chalk deviated stitching like the doors and seats). I figure since I'm going to keep this car, I might as well build it in a way that's going to keep me satisfied over the long term.
So I thought about adding that leather wrapped steering column and asked my dealer and a good friend (who actually helps his local dealer order cars) about it -they both laughed at me. "You will never see it". They were correct - you don't see/notice the steering column on this car. Save your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Speaking of small leather options... don't forget the passengers side cup holder. That thing comes in plastic stock, but for $390 you can get "passenger cupholder trim in leather." I left it off my build b/c I didn't notice it at all in any of the 992s I test drove and checked out.
Unless full leather adds this, I have yet to notice that mine is any different. Once again, I think it is one of those things that people should not get. I'd go take a picture of my car, except I drove the M3 to work today - rumor has it it might be my last day to do that.

Short story, these little things add $$$ and are not noticed by anyone - unless you point out "and look at my cup holder! It's leather!" Then people are like "ok dude, if that makes you feel better"
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
alex23642846.50
      05-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #7438
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was more referring to the exterior window trim around the outside of the windows.
It should be the blinding white sliver thing. Not the darker, matte like silver that you can option for.

Edit: Chrome! Sorry my brain is slightly lagging atm~
So if it's already chrome, what's the silver option?

Never mind, I'll check the linked thread.
Sorry, my brain is lagging from recovering from my Moderna shot (sick lol)

It's Black. A matte like Black is standard. You can change to Gloss Black or Silver for the exterior window trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Another P-Car question. I apologize for another deviation from the G8X slamming. Lol! If I don't opt for gloss black or silver window trim, what is the OEM option?!? Rubber?
From what I gather, it is the same options an BMW:
  • Flat black (base trim)
  • Gloss Black
  • Silver
Thanks fellas. I opted to stick with the base trim. One thing I've noticed is the small leather details really appeal to me, so I've added the leather wrapped steering column and the leather wrapped area by the rear view mirror (..with the matching Chalk deviated stitching like the doors and seats). I figure since I'm going to keep this car, I might as well build it in a way that's going to keep me satisfied over the long term. I'm going to Walter's Porsche in Riverside today to check out a 4S they have that is optioned pretty well. I'm hoping to find a car with a Race-Tex steering wheel somewhere as that's the last option I have on my build that I still have a question about.

I have attached photos of the leather wrapped areas I mentioned. I also attached a photo of the mirrors completely body colored. What do you guys think? Currently my build (.. PNH65SW3) has the upper/lower portions in body color, but the base in gloss black.
I'm not a big fan of the leather column and map lights (we have chatted about it before) but at the end of the day it's your car and if you want to keep it long term and think you will regret not getting it then get it. How I look at this option is - if you think that if you don't get it you might regret, but if you did get it you wouldn't regret it (unless you are counting pennies to stay within a proscribed budget) then get it.

Re the Race-Tex steering wheel. 2 thoughts (1) the GT wheel is so chunky that it cuts off more than just the outside screens (why I'm going with the standard non-GT wheel) and (2) while I LOVE my alcantara steering wheel on my F80CS (even though it's matted a bit now and not the best to look at), I decided against optioning it for my 911 because nothing else in the car is race-tex (unlike my F80CS) so it felt a bit out of place for me. I know I could add other race-tex bits but decided to opt for the Sport-Tex seats instead as I loved the cloth seats on my wife's F80.

Did you get your allocation through Walter Porsche? That's where I got my allocation last week (I think I scooped up their last one). What SA did you use? Just found out today I'm tentatively scheduled for ED in early October!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
Arcades8136.50
minn1913970.00
      05-17-2021, 03:54 PM   #7439
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hate the chip shortage.
Bad news re your allocation?
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #7440
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I went with Chalk deviated stitching.

Today I looked at two 2021 992 Carrera S's. One in Lava Orange (?) and the other in Chalk. The Lava Orange was a dealer demo car that was actually for sale while the Chalk was an ordered car tucked away in their service bay. The Chalk car had SPASM and I didn't notice any discernible difference between it and the PASM-only equipped Lava Orange car. I ended up removing SPASM from my build after seeing the two cars. I also removed unlimited Apple CarPlay after playing around with it in my Corolla.
You should make your decision on SPASM on how you want the car to drive, not how it looks.
Agree with this re SPASM. It's less about the look and more the driving experience for me (though don't mind the look).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #7441
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Today I looked at two 2021 992 Carrera S's. One in Lava Orange (?) and the other in Chalk. The Lava Orange was a dealer demo car that was actually for sale while the Chalk was an ordered car tucked away in their service bay. The Chalk car had SPASM and I didn't notice any discernible difference between it and the PASM-only equipped Lava Orange car. I ended up removing SPASM from my build after seeing the two cars. I also removed unlimited Apple CarPlay after playing around with it in my Corolla.
You should make your decision on SPASM on how you want the car to drive, not how it looks.
I agree completely, but without many/any options to drive.....and thus, no point of reference, it's hard to really decide which direction is best with regards to SPASM. The 911 I drove weeks ago was a 991.2 without SPASM and the Lava Orange 992 didn't have SPASM either. I loved the way the 991.2 drove, so that's my only reference point. My connect has an AeroKitted base 992 without SPASM, so the only thing his car was good for was confirming that, A) I love the AeroKit, B) the base interior is unsatisfactory and C) the base stereo was sufficient......at the time. I heard the BOSE stereo in the Lava Orange car yesterday and immediately came home, ditched the Sport Design side skirts and optioned the BOSE.
Good idea on Bose for the side skirts. Re SPASM, do the PECLA Carrera S experience. There is a 20% discount right now for SoCal residents and it has the SPASM.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #7442
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
A little because of it yes.

From all the signs I have been told by the GSM, 2022 build production for the GT4 is going to be very limited. Same for the Spyder.

So, sadly all the talk AP mentioned when the GT4/Spyder first was revealed back late 2019 probably won't happen. Meaning, so long as people keep asking for the car, they will give as much allocation to dealerships so they will build them as possible. That isn't going to happen.

In AP's defense, no one foresaw COVID or the global chip shortage so that was just out of his hands.
Thescout134944.00
irunalot1515.50
minn1913970.00
      05-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #7443
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

From all the signs I have been told by the GSM, 2022 build production for the GT4 is going to be very limited. Same for the Spyder.

So, sadly all the talk AP mentioned when the GT4/Spyder first was revealed back late 2019 probably won't happen. Meaning, so long as people keep asking for the car, they will give as much allocation to dealerships so they will build them as possible. That isn't going to happen.

In AP's defense, no one foresaw COVID or the global chip shortage so that was just out of his hands.
Man what a bummer. What's the eta looking like for you now? Any chance a dealer in the Midwest may have one (or a broker can help you track one down)? I feel like it's the luck of the draw. Two weeks later and I wouldn't have had an allocation until next year, two weeks earlier and I probably would be sitting at V070 because my dealer passed the allocation to someone else. I thinks it's all about timing sometimes.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8136.50
      05-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #7444
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Quote:

Ugh another GT car hurdle I was told the same about the 2022 GT4.

I can't catch a break...
Appreciate 2
Arcades8136.50
minn1913970.00
      05-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #7445
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Man what a bummer. What's the eta looking like for you now? Any chance a dealer in the Midwest may have one (or a broker can help you track one down)? I feel like it's the luck of the draw. Two weeks later and I wouldn't have had an allocation until next year, two weeks earlier and I probably would be sitting at V070 because my dealer passed the allocation to someone else. I thinks it's all about timing sometimes.
I legit don't know. When I picked up our Macan GTS, they showed me how many allocations they had for the GT4 (not Spyder) and around January/February delivery 2021. All 4 of their allocations were spoken for minus 1 as that was for me that I skipped out on. So, that was 5 total.

So far, all the talk from Rennlist and what I have been told by the GSM (with a grain of salt as even dealerships aren't told either) most dealerships have been given 1 or 2 barely for the start of 2022 Model year which is abnormal. And it may stay that way for the rest of the run for that year unless something changes. The dealership I work with have a wait list of 13+ people. There is no way they can get to everyone. That post I posted here about BH Porsche, that was the reason for the flip on price.

2022 will most definitely be the final year for the GT4/Spyder at the very least due to the 2023 change for cars when it comes to standard options having to include things that the GT cars don't have. Unless I have been told wrong on this part of course.
irunalot1515.50
minn1913970.00
      05-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #7446
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Thanks fellas. I opted to stick with the base trim. One thing I've noticed is the small leather details really appeal to me, so I've added the leather wrapped steering column and the leather wrapped area by the rear view mirror (..with the matching Chalk deviated stitching like the doors and seats). I figure since I'm going to keep this car, I might as well build it in a way that's going to keep me satisfied over the long term.
So I thought about adding that leather wrapped steering column and asked my dealer and a good friend (who actually helps his local dealer order cars) about it -they both laughed at me. "You will never see it". They were correct - you don't see/notice the steering column on this car. Save your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Speaking of small leather options... don't forget the passengers side cup holder. That thing comes in plastic stock, but for $390 you can get "passenger cupholder trim in leather." I left it off my build b/c I didn't notice it at all in any of the 992s I test drove and checked out.
Unless full leather adds this, I have yet to notice that mine is any different. Once again, I think it is one of those things that people should not get. I'd go take a picture of my car, except I drove the M3 to work today - rumor has it it might be my last day to do that.

Short story, these little things add $$$ and are not noticed by anyone - unless you point out "and look at my cup holder! It's leather!" Then people are like "ok dude, if that makes you feel better"
Are you selling the M3?

P.S. I'll have to go look at the CS again and see how much of the column is visible to my eye.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was more referring to the exterior window trim around the outside of the windows.
It should be the blinding white sliver thing. Not the darker, matte like silver that you can option for.

Edit: Chrome! Sorry my brain is slightly lagging atm~
So if it's already chrome, what's the silver option?

Never mind, I'll check the linked thread.
Sorry, my brain is lagging from recovering from my Moderna shot (sick lol)

It's Black. A matte like Black is standard. You can change to Gloss Black or Silver for the exterior window trim.
Quote:
Quote:
Another P-Car question. I apologize for another deviation from the G8X slamming. Lol! If I don't opt for gloss black or silver window trim, what is the OEM option?!? Rubber?
From what I gather, it is the same options an BMW:
  • Flat black (base trim)
  • Gloss Black
  • Silver
Thanks fellas. I opted to stick with the base trim. One thing I've noticed is the small leather details really appeal to me, so I've added the leather wrapped steering column and the leather wrapped area by the rear view mirror (..with the matching Chalk deviated stitching like the doors and seats). I figure since I'm going to keep this car, I might as well build it in a way that's going to keep me satisfied over the long term. I'm going to Walter's Porsche in Riverside today to check out a 4S they have that is optioned pretty well. I'm hoping to find a car with a Race-Tex steering wheel somewhere as that's the last option I have on my build that I still have a question about.

I have attached photos of the leather wrapped areas I mentioned. I also attached a photo of the mirrors completely body colored. What do you guys think? Currently my build (.. PNH65SW3) has the upper/lower portions in body color, but the base in gloss black.
I'm not a big fan of the leather column and map lights (we have chatted about it before) but at the end of the day it's your car and if you want to keep it long term and think you will regret not getting it then get it. How I look at this option is - if you think that if you don't get it you might regret, but if you did get it you wouldn't regret it (unless you are counting pennies to stay within a proscribed budget) then get it.

Re the Race-Tex steering wheel. 2 thoughts (1) the GT wheel is so chunky that it cuts off more than just the outside screens (why I'm going with the standard non-GT wheel) and (2) while I LOVE my alcantara steering wheel on my F80CS (even though it's matted a bit now and not the best to look at), I decided against optioning it for my 911 because nothing else in the car is race-tex (unlike my F80CS) so it felt a bit out of place for me. I know I could add other race-tex bits but decided to opt for the Sport-Tex seats instead as I loved the cloth seats on my wife's F80.

Did you get your allocation through Walter Porsche? That's where I got my allocation last week (I think I scooped up their last one). What SA did you use? Just found out today I'm tentatively scheduled for ED in early October!
I test drove at Walter's Ontario and went to Riverside yesterday. I got my allocation from another dealership. Mine will be a September build, December delivery.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree completely, but without many/any options to drive.....and thus, no point of reference, it's hard to really decide which direction is best with regards to SPASM. The 911 I drove weeks ago was a 991.2 without SPASM and the Lava Orange 992 didn't have SPASM either. I loved the way the 991.2 drove, so that's my only reference point. My connect has an AeroKitted base 992 without SPASM, so the only thing his car was good for was confirming that, A) I love the AeroKit, B) the base interior is unsatisfactory and C) the base stereo was sufficient......at the time. I heard the BOSE stereo in the Lava Orange car yesterday and immediately came home, ditched the Sport Design side skirts and optioned the BOSE.
Good idea on Bose for the side skirts. Re SPASM, do the PECLA Carrera S experience. There is a 20% discount right now for SoCal residents and it has the SPASM.
I'm considering PECLA. My connect suggested that as well.
Appreciate 3
Thescout134944.00
minn1913970.00
mahalom3163.00
      05-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #7447
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I legit don't know. When I picked up our Macan GTS, they showed me how many allocations they had for the GT4 (not Spyder) and around January/February delivery 2021. All 4 of their allocations were spoken for minus 1 as that was for me that I skipped out on. So, that was 5 total.

So far, all the talk from Rennlist and what I have been told by the GSM (with a grain of salt as even dealerships aren't told either) most dealerships have been given 1 or 2 barely for the start of 2022 Model year which is abnormal. And it may stay that way for the rest of the run for that year unless something changes. The dealership I work with have a wait list of 13+ people. There is no way they can get to everyone. That post I posted here about BH Porsche, that was the reason for the flip on price.

2022 will most definitely be the final year for the GT4/Spyder at the very least due to the 2023 change for cars when it comes to standard options having to include things that the GT cars don't have. Unless I have been told wrong on this part of course.
Wow, that's wild. Though not unbelievable. Porsche Carlsbad got 1 Carrera base allocation and 1 turbo allocation (both have lists 5-12 people long) for the rest of the year. They were expecting at least ~15-18 allocations spread throughout the range (which is still less than a quarter of their normal allocations).

Porsche San Diego got 6 for a C2S (all spoken for) a handful for the base and a handful for the other models. They normally get 2x-3x the allocations Porsche Carlsbad does.

Porsche Riverside only had 4 (I got one of them) for the C2S and only a handful of the other models.

Needless to say that if the bread and butter non SUV cars are tight on allocations, I cannot even imagine the GT cars.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24818.50
Arcades8136.50
minn1913970.00
      05-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #7448
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:

That's a bummer. I know you want that GT4. All of the dealers I've visited have zero GT car allocations as well. This market is tight.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8136.50
      05-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #7449
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's a bummer. I know you want that GT4. All of the dealers I've visited have zero GT car allocations as well. This market is tight.
Quote:
Wow, that's wild. Though not unbelievable. Porsche Carlsbad got 1 Carrera base allocation and 1 turbo allocation (both have lists 5-12 people long) for the rest of the year. They were expecting at least ~15-18 allocations spread throughout the range (which is still less than a quarter of their normal allocations).

Porsche San Diego got 6 for a C2S (all spoken for) a handful for the base and a handful for the other models. They normally get 2x-3x the allocations Porsche Carlsbad does.

Porsche Riverside only had 4 (I got one of them) for the C2S and only a handful of the other models.

Needless to say that if the bread and butter non SUV cars are tight on allocations, I cannot even imagine the GT cars.
Yup.

I have currently no clue what is about to happen. Obviously I wasn't expecting this to happen, nor did a lot of people at the moment but things happen. I have never done used cars so it will probably stay that way. I just... don't do used things.

I do have the option for the GT4 RS but with how ridiculous the ADM at the moment are for the 992 GT3, I don't know if I want to "play the game" per say.
Sedan_Clan24818.50
Thescout134944.00
minn1913970.00
irunalot1515.50
      05-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #7450
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
I'll add that. I do trust my dealership and they have always told me they will make things happen if I ask them to.

But they cannot avoid economics or the strained supply vs demand. That is something they cannot do. Even from a GSM standpoint, they cannot leave money on the table either as they would have to answer to the GM. So, even a GSM have limits.
Thescout134944.00
Sedan_Clan24818.50
minn1913970.00
irunalot1515.50
      05-17-2021, 05:22 PM   #7451
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

The part that kills me is late last year a GT4 was not problem at all. Now forget it, might as well be a GT3 or unicorn.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #7452
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
The part that kills me is late last year a GT4 was not problem at all. Now forget it, might as well be a GT3 or unicorn.
Agreed. Some dealers are treating GT3s and even GT4s as if though they are limited run Carrera GTs or 918s. Crazy times for sure.
Appreciate 1
irunalot1515.50
      05-17-2021, 05:35 PM   #7453
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
I got it.

Papers are being passed to me now.

Literally just now, GSM called me.
irunalot1515.50
minn1913970.00
Thescout134944.00
Sedan_Clan24818.50
Darth One6612.50
      05-17-2021, 05:37 PM   #7454
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'll keep trying but even I am thinking of taking the ADM pill and what I would tolerate. Of by the time I'm ok with a certain amount I can tolerate it will double.

For GT cars there is no choice except used. That market is at least 20% over sticker of the car when it was new.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      05-17-2021, 05:39 PM   #7455
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll keep trying but even I am thinking of taking the ADM pill and what I would tolerate. Of by the time I'm ok with a certain amount I can tolerate it will double.

For GT cars there is no choice except used. That market is at least 20% over sticker of the car when it was new.
You almost have to do ADM now due to the constraints it just depends on how much ADM you are paying.

Don't ask me how I know.
irunalot1515.50
minn1913970.00
      05-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #7456
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

That's what I was told 5-10 for a GT4 and the RS will be close to 50. The GT3s are in the 50 range as well. Was able to get closer to 20 on one, but that's it. Even at that price you gotta be lucky and quick.

Serious FOMO
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24818.50
minn1913970.00
      05-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #7457
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got it.

So you got the GT4?
Appreciate 1
Arcades8136.50
      05-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #7458
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I got it.

So you got the GT4?
Yup.

I'm going to ask my CA how many they ended up getting for this quarter but I'm going to guess my ballpark estimate of 1-2 is pretty much on point.
Sedan_Clan24818.50
minn1913970.00