Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-20-2020, 01:43 AM   #23
fpvsportsguy
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

So I went ahead and took apart the passenger side vent and put plenty of felt tape to the back of carbon fiber trim. The rattle is still there. So it's not the vent itself.

Next step would be to check the headliner that connects to the A pillars, as there are some creaking noises around the headliner edges too
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:51 AM   #24
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

At the top of the doors just next to the rubber seal, there is a Matt black plastic cover that goes from the door lock area up and around all the way to the mirror. My drivers door trim was making a tick tick noise that was separate to the usual shadow line creak. I wedged some paper underneath to make it right and the noise went away. It looks like shit but I don't care. To properly do it you need to remove the door panel, unscrew it and take it out, then apply felt tape underneath it and put it back in.

I have a tooth pick in between the plastic panel/cover where the fuse box is usually located on a lot of cars I the drivers side. Again kind of ghetto but it works.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #25
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hah$ View Post
My whole car rattles. I never noticed it until I started reading all these posts on the forum. Now I just live with it, but I don't understand how my wife's Merc has not one rattle, but both my M's rattle like crazy. Quality control needs to step their game up.
Co -Worker owns a C63s, rattle box. But you're right, it's unacceptable at this price point.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 09:08 PM   #26
fpvsportsguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Co -Worker owns a C63s, rattle box. But you're right, it's unacceptable at this price point.
It's really a result of the super stiff suspension on M and AMG cars. Rubber and plastic ages over time, so after a few years on bumpy suspension on bumpy roads and UV exposure, it's not too surprising that these rattles will appear over time. I've a SLK350 that had a relatively stiff suspension, though not as stiff as the M4, that had creaks all over the place until I sprayed gummi pledge and silicone grease everywhere. Our $80K car is basically a $35K car with a $45k engine/transmission crammed in. Can't expect too much out of the interior build quality.

The least noisy car I have is a 10 year old Panamera. Gotta give commend Porsche for basically not using any plastic on the trim pieces. Leather ages much better. Though I have test driven a cheaper 4 year old Boxter, that was also a rattle box.
Appreciate 1
DML967.50
      12-21-2020, 05:55 AM   #27
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Rattles will happen....only a matter of time. Such a great car I don't mind them..... had more of them in my carbon tub'd Italian scooter
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #28
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvsportsguy View Post
Quote:
It's really a result of the super stiff suspension on M and AMG cars. Rubber and plastic ages over time, so after a few years on bumpy suspension on bumpy roads and UV exposure, it's not too surprising that these rattles will appear over time. I've a SLK350 that had a relatively stiff suspension, though not as stiff as the M4, that had creaks all over the place until I sprayed gummi pledge and silicone grease everywhere. Our $80K car is basically a $35K car with a $45k engine/transmission crammed in. Can't expect too much out of the interior build quality.

The least noisy car I have is a 10 year old Panamera. Gotta give commend Porsche for basically not using any plastic on the trim pieces. Leather ages much better. Though I have test driven a cheaper 4 year old Boxter, that was also a rattle box.
My M3 and current 2020 M4 were & are as silent as it gets, go figure.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #29
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My M3 and current 2020 M4 were & are as silent as it gets, go figure.
Same here, my 2017 F83 does not creak or rattle over bumps or NJ craters or potholes.
Appreciate 1
DML967.50
      03-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #30
sds0918
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235 2015

Exact same thing is happening on my 2018 M4.
Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Makes me want to drive this ninety thousand dollar piece of junk off a cliff.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 05:47 PM   #31
RIPAMG
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Yas Marina

There are two gold color pins under the passenger side air vent, they will get loose and starts to rattle. I used some double sided tape to solid them and NO RATTLING! Fixed🤤
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #32
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Bump!

I've fixed just about every other rattles in my f83, and this passenger side vent rattle is the last one I'm chasing. I've sat in the passenger seat while my wife drove trying to find it, but could not definitively pin it to any single trim piece. I suspect it might be a loose bolt somewhere deep in the dash.

So far here's all the rattles/creaks I've fixed:
-window creak/crunch, gummy and silicone grease for all door seals
-a pillar creak, felt tape and silicone grease,
-rear ac vent creak, more silicone grease,
-center ac control creak, took the panel out and covered all the gaps in silicone grease
-convertible top groan, gummy on all roof panel rubber seals
-passenger footwell rattle, took the panel out, applied lots of felt tape
-12v port panel creak, you guessed it, more silicone grease

I guess my next step would be to actually pull the door and the dash apart to look for the loose bolt. Wish me luck.

Yes I'm quite OCD when it comes to rattles, and the stiff subframe is not doing me any favors.. But I'm THIS close to having a noise free cabin.
Haha, I spent good first two months or so after getting the car, addressing similar issues as yours on my F83. It is mostly free of noises now, every now and then I hear creaking on top as the car goes over bump, pulling in/out of angled driveway, etc, but expected.
Attached Images

15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i

Last edited by Bettertomorrow; 03-03-2022 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 05:20 PM   #33
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Felt tape and time is all it takes, get a roll from Amazon and get to know the car from the inside! LOL. These cars aren't like Japanese cars where they line every connector with felt tape. The plastics they use are especially hard as well. I lined everything with the felt tape and it's as solid as a tank. I only get a random rattle from the HUD here and there but I never removed or lined that. The CS damper coding I think helped out as well as the suspension is one step softer now in all modes.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 07:35 AM   #34
3lucidus
Eat Sleep Trance
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

felt tape around the locking door pins might fix your issue.
Appreciate 0