BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #67
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

I may be in the minority, but I do not miss the HUD, and I'm glad I didn't get it. I have it in the X5 M, but I tend to look way ahead of the car so I can get a better read on traffic, and my focal point is way beyond the HUD display most of the time.

It is handy for a quick check of your speed, but with the seating position in the M3 vs. the X5, that's not as much of an issue. The line of sight to the cluster is perfect, instead of an actual glance down.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #68
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
I find sat nav instructions in HUD the coolest tech feature of the car by far. Sure, I didn't buy an M4 to follow sat nav around the city, but I was really impressed how well it works in practice.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #69
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
I find sat nav instructions in HUD the coolest tech feature of the car by far. Sure, I didn't buy an M4 to follow sat nav around the city, but I was really impressed how well it works in practice.
I thought I would miss that feature from the X5, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the same information is displayed in the instrument cluster of the non HUD cars.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #70
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
There is a way to alter the tilt and angle and it makes all the difference in the world for polarized sunglasses.

I first got into the car and, like you, could see nothing. My SA actually knew how to play with it and adjusted it at pickup. Zero problems ever since seeing the HUD with polarized glasses on.
Would you happen to know where/how to find this in the menu? I don't have my car yet, but taking note of things to do when I receive it.
      02-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #71
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
Would you happen to know where/how to find this in the menu? I don't have my car yet, but taking note of things to do when I receive it.
Yes, please do tell. It's a mystery to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #72
kriegs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
100 percent agree! Nav on HUD is the best especially combined with voice. No margin for error
      02-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #73
HOUSE Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

How can you say no to this...?!

The future is indeed here. haha!

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #74
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Will try to figure it out.

SA did it during drop off (along with a million other things, like set the HK sound equalizer, etc, etc etc) so I will have to play around and find it.

Will post back when I figure it out.
      02-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #75
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

To add to this thread, my HUD screen just got a big dead pixel or a group of them that is a blaring white dot on the screen to the right of the speed. Its a big white spot in the middle of an otherwise "clear" area. Its so distracting I turned the HUD off entirely, and I really don't miss it.

It has now been off for a total of 2 weeks. When you turn it off the navigation still shows in the dash so its really not that big of a difference. Also, the music menu stuff shows in the same spot, so you just have to look down to the speedo/tach and not all around the car, which is just marginally more distracting then focusing close on the HUD.

I have no intention of putting in a service request until my scheduled 10k service as I really don't miss the HUD, and I'll just have the thing replaced at that time.

If anyone else has a pixel burnout or anything like that on their HUD then definitely keep us posted. I wouldn't call it a flaw or anything, these things happen with LED and LCD screens all the time and I'm sure its going to be covered under warranty.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #76
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM-Houston View Post
Personally I always thought they were a stupid idea... until I got my M3. Now I don't know why I didn't get it years ago. I love the different displays. Yes you can have times when it is difficult to see everything but all in all I find it very useful.
This.

I dont think I can drive another car without it after having it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #77
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
It's in iDrive - which takes about 2 minutes to click through end-to-end. Are you not finding it in your iDrive menu?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:43 PM   #78
kriegs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSE Motorsports View Post

what a coincindence that you posted this as I was born and grew up in Scranton and used to live in LA in the early '90's
      02-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #79
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
It's in iDrive - which takes about 2 minutes to click through end-to-end. Are you not finding it in your iDrive menu?
For tilt, no. Have you actually found it, can you post how, I don't see it. Not near my car where I can turn the manual upside down for the info, but as my previous post, in the Hud area I see some parameters but not something that represents "tilt".
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #80
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
For tilt, no. Have you actually found it, can you post how, I don't see it. Not near my car where I can turn the manual upside down for the info, but as my previous post, in the Hud area I see some parameters but not something that represents "tilt".
It's called rotation. It's under the HUD settings menu, right next to brightness and height.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #81
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSE Motorsports View Post

You see that on the Split Nav Screen
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #82
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Quote:
It's called rotation. It's under the HUD settings menu, right next to brightness and height.
+1, just checked it out - I can take a video if you still can't find it. On ED I had moved mine all the way to the bottom and rotated it clockwise so the bottom is level with the road rather than the hood. Just my preference but I have tried rotating back but always end up with the clockwise rotation.

I have the polarized glasses problem but I can still see it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #83
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand that. But that only moves it clockwise or counter clockwise....does nothing for polarised lenses. Many posts back someone stated the solution was that the tilt of the Hud could be adjusted. Tilt to me refers to the angle of the bottom vs the top looking at an image head on. The way you can tilt a screen on the headrest of the monitor in the seat in front of you on an airline, because someone stated they have to tilt their head back or make adjustments in the angle they look at the Hud with polarised lenses.
I have not seen where in Idrive this can be adjusted.

....and I can see the Hud with polarised lenses, but just barely. Take them off and it's clear and vibrant.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #84
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 IR F80

Hey guys, on a somewhat related note, is there a button on the steering wheel or dash to switch between the different HUD displays? I know I can switch it in the iDrive, but I am wondering if there the right or left track-wheel can be used to switch between M View, Navigation etc. I just got my car, less than 40 miles on it, so it's a newbie question.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #85
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
You can program different views to M1 and M2 buttons, so if one of them is set to standard and the other one to M View, then you can switch between them using the steering wheel. This will also change your other settings for suspension etc. however.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #86
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I understand that. But that only moves it clockwise or counter clockwise....does nothing for polarised lenses. Many posts back someone stated the solution was that the tilt of the Hud could be adjusted. Tilt to me refers to the angle of the bottom vs the top looking at an image head on. The way you can tilt a screen on the headrest of the monitor in the seat in front of you on an airline, because someone stated they have to tilt their head back or make adjustments in the angle they look at the Hud with polarised lenses.
I have not seen where in Idrive this can be adjusted.

....and I can see the Hud with polarised lenses, but just barely. Take them off and it's clear and vibrant.
Got it.

I didn't make that claim, and it doesn't make any sense to me, so I was just answering the "how do you rotate" it question.

Polarized light is not going to change if it's tilted top to bottom. Just the nature of polarization. I can't see how some kind of rotation is going to get around the issue.

What I would like to know, however, is how the GM HUD (full color) in the Caddy CTS is COMPLETELY visible through my polarized Costas, but the BMW one is not.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #87
Brindle101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY M4, AW M6, e92 m3, e46 m3..

Quote:
So last week I did the "Ultimate Driving Experience" here in Houston. It was a fabulous event, writeup in this thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1054898

I got to drive an M6 droptop after dark. It had the HUD, which I adjusted a bit for my tastes....but I still found it pretty bright. Does the HUD dim automatically when you turn the headlights on (or they go on by themselves)? I used the HUD in M mode most of the time, but found that it was kind of difficult to see the rev counter unless I was approaching redline. So I didn't see it as a true "rev counter" rather that more of a shift light type setup.

How do you find the radio and nav info displays? Too much info? Not enough?

I'm not so sold on this option having driven it again, especially as I wear polarized glasses and that washes it out.

Thanks.
You can dim it, but not auto dim.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #88
bimmerking818
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
So last week I did the "Ultimate Driving Experience" here in Houston. It was a fabulous event, writeup in this thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1054898

I got to drive an M6 droptop after dark. It had the HUD, which I adjusted a bit for my tastes....but I still found it pretty bright. Does the HUD dim automatically when you turn the headlights on (or they go on by themselves)? I used the HUD in M mode most of the time, but found that it was kind of difficult to see the rev counter unless I was approaching redline. So I didn't see it as a true "rev counter" rather that more of a shift light type setup.

How do you find the radio and nav info displays? Too much info? Not enough?

I'm not so sold on this option having driven it again, especially as I wear polarized glasses and that washes it out.

Thanks.
This is how u change the dimness of the HUD in my F30 not sure if it's the same with Ms I tho
Appreciate 0