GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-28-2018, 01:23 AM   #1
MSport28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / G30 540

Either I am the only person with 20/20 vision that is blind or my '18 M3 does not have an USB port. How is an $80k car missing this? I've searched these forums and there seems to be different placement options but mine is completely lacking - there is no audio connections or plugs of any kind in the shallow space called a center console, and the cubby in front of the cup holders is blank besides a cigarette lighter plug. How am I supposed to connect an iPod or device besides constantly steaming Bluetooth?

Speaking of that cigarette lighter plug, it doesn't work - my lighter-to-USB adaptor will not function when plugged in to that connection but works fine when I plug it into the backseat one. Thoughts?

2018 F80 w/ ZCP and Executive, for the record
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Can't speak for why there is no USB in yur 2018. I will say, however, that I never use the one in my 2016 M4, because the BT connections works so well. As to the lighter port, I'm sure the dealer can solve that problem, which could be as simple as a blown fuse. Hope you get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
This happened to me on ED. I was prepared to use the extra USB, but I brought a cheap cigarette USB plug as a backup. There was no extra USB (in glove box or under AC controls).

The cheap cig plug didn't work up front so I thought there was a problem. I checked the fuse and it was fine. The plug worked fine in the rear, however. I bought the OEM BMW USB cig/USB adapter and it works fine up front. Must be a slightly different size or shape that doesn't work with all USB adapters.

Long story short, depending on the options you may not have any additional USB slots aside from the armrest. Depending on the cigarette/USB adapter it might not work up front. Buy the BMW adapter (which is actually pretty nice, althought overpriced) and you will probably be fine.

Last edited by timhatimay; 05-28-2018 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: iPhone+wine = edit
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport28 View Post
Either I am the only person with 20/20 vision that is blind or my '18 M3 does not have an USB port. How is an $80k car missing this? I've searched these forums and there seems to be different placement options but mine is completely lacking - there is no audio connections or plugs of any kind in the shallow space called a center console, and the cubby in front of the cup holders is blank besides a cigarette lighter plug. How am I supposed to connect an iPod or device besides constantly steaming Bluetooth?

Speaking of that cigarette lighter plug, it doesn't work - my lighter-to-USB adaptor will not function when plugged in to that connection but works fine when I plug it into the backseat one. Thoughts?

You have full leather dash? If so USB is in the center console if not its underneath the HVAC controls (above the change tray) IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

The standard USB port is under the armrest. The USB port under climate control is only available if you paid for Wireless Charging.

Post photo of what you got.

Quote:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 11:27 PM   #6
MSport28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / G30 540

No full leather. I'm an idiot and the USB was hiding in the center console under a rubber cover thing that I don't think is even supposed to be there.

As for the cigarette lighter, the car is going into the dealer in a couple days for the 1200 mile break in service so I will see what the issue is.

Thanks all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhatimay View Post
This happened to me on ED. I was prepared to use the extra USB, but I brought a cheap cigarette USB plug as a backup. There was no extra USB (in glove box or under AC controls).

The cheap cig plug didn't work up front so I thought there was a problem. I checked the fuse and it was fine. The plug worked fine in the rear, however. I bought the OEM BMW USB cig/USB adapter and it works fine up front. Must be a slightly different size or shape that doesn't work with all USB adapters.

Long story short, depending on the options you may not have any additional USB slots aside from the armrest. Depending on the cigarette/USB adapter it might not work up front. Buy the BMW adapter (which is actually pretty nice, although overpriced) and you will probably be fine.
I had the same problem with some USB/12V adapters not working in the front port but working in all of the other ports. These were not cheap adapters, one was a Scosche and the other was a Belkin, IIRC.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 11:40 PM   #8
RazorM4
Rep
Drives: 18 F82 ZCP

Garage List
18 M4 ZCP  [0.00]
There is another cig plug under the glove box near the passengers lef foot. You might try your adapter on that one.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Just for the record, there are three 12V ports in the passenger compartment on my 2016 M4:
  1. One in the "ashtray" area of the front console
  2. One underneath the glovebox in the passenger footwell. I use this one for my phone.
  3. One in the back of the center console in the rear passenger area.
There's also one in the trunk, on the driver side.

There's also a USB port in the center console compartment. You can also add an additional USB port in the glove box which can be used for an additional music source. I run two iPods like this. There's a DIY in the F30 forum that's been referenced in the F80 forum as well.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #10
TheNazz
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
No full leather. I'm an idiot and the USB was hiding in the center console under a rubber cover thing that I don't think is even supposed to be there.

As for the cigarette lighter, the car is going into the dealer in a couple days for the 1200 mile break in service so I will see what the issue is.

Thanks all.
Did you ever find out what the issue was? I'm having a similar problem.
Appreciate 0