GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-12-2022, 08:10 PM   #1
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

reverse camera too bright?

I've noticed that the reverse camera on my 2018 m3 sucks. I was trying to reverse earlier today and I couldn't even see the white parking lines, it's as if the camera itself is showing too bright or saturated of an image. Is this common or expected? Anything I can do to improve or fix this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 08:43 PM   #2
Gray-M4-COMP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by yami sukehiro View Post
I've noticed that the reverse camera on my 2018 m3 sucks. I was trying to reverse earlier today and I couldn't even see the white parking lines, it's as if the camera itself is showing too bright or saturated of an image. Is this common or expected? Anything I can do to improve or fix this issue?
I would say take it to the dealer if you still have warrenty.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 06:17 PM   #3
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

im an idiot, he literally just turned the screen brightness down.

in my defense, my dad has a 2019 m550 and the screen is on max brightness and all the cameras are still crystal clear.

I feel like this is a design flaw, you should be able to keep max brightenss without degrading the camera image quality (maybe by adjusting contrast / saturation / etc).

Anyway, I also had some creaking issues so they cleaned up some stuff and fixed that as well
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2022, 03:21 AM   #4
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

if it's white color car, tape the bottom of the camera to hide bumper from the frame. Picture quality is downgraded because it's trying to compensate for bright bumper and everything else is over or under exposed. After that max brightness setting shouldn't be a problem.
Appreciate 0