Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #23
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
Any experience moving from an OTS stage 1 to a custom tune (91 Octane), without using a dyno? Worth it?
OTS maps are very good, but if you're trying to extract the max, I suggest going with a custom tune regardless of the fuel type.
      11-06-2019, 01:48 AM   #24
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 Si, BMW M4 comp. BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///FastEuro View Post
I want to give a special S-O to Cary Jordan for dialing in my 93 Octane and Full E85 tunes. Dyno result speaks for itself, but just as important is the smooth, stocklike drivability. Starting with an hour long phone call explaining the process step by step, Cary has been extremely professional. Even with the car not performing optimally at first due to stock plugs and filters, Cary didn't hesitate to reconnect for another dyno session and perfect the tune. So anyone that is looking for stellar custom tuning with outstanding customer service, I highly recommend JordanTuned.

https://www.facebook.com/19467726956...ndex=0&sfns=mo
Hi! When you say stock filters, do you mean the filters in the stock airboxes were a limiting factor or did you use any other intake system? And if you just changed the filters, do you have the Before and after numbers?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #25
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4 FUN View Post
Quote:
I want to give a special S-O to Cary Jordan for dialing in my 93 Octane and Full E85 tunes. Dyno result speaks for itself, but just as important is the smooth, stocklike drivability. Starting with an hour long phone call explaining the process step by step, Cary has been extremely professional. Even with the car not performing optimally at first due to stock plugs and filters, Cary didn't hesitate to reconnect for another dyno session and perfect the tune. So anyone that is looking for stellar custom tuning with outstanding customer service, I highly recommend JordanTuned.

https://www.facebook.com/19467726956...=0&sfns=mo
Hi! When you say stock filters, do you mean the filters in the stock airboxes were a limiting factor or did you use any other intake system? And if you just changed the filters, do you have the Before and after numbers?
Correct, I'm running stock system with BMC drop in's. Filters definitely helped, we've seen at least 10+ whp before further tuning. Remember there are two filters in each box (paper and charcoal).
      11-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #26
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
OTS maps are very good, but if you're trying to extract the max, I suggest going with a custom tune regardless of the fuel type.
This!

Not just extracting the most power, but also fine tuning the driveability for YOUR specific car and YOUR specific driving habits/preferences/conditions

OTS tunes are fine, but are inherently generic to appeal to the most number of people but offering nothing specific (obviously)
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #27
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Quote:
This!

Not just extracting the most power, but also fine tuning the driveability for YOUR specific car and YOUR specific driving habits/preferences/conditions

OTS tunes are fine, but are inherently generic to appeal to the most number of people but offering nothing specific (obviously)
It's really incredible when I think about it, I gained 175 whp and the car still feels smooth as stock.
      11-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #28
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
It's really incredible when I think about it, I gained 175 whp and the car still feels smooth as stock.
Yes. Best $500 I've spent on this car...a custom tune
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #29
ckendri
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - F82

Have to agree with everything in this thread. Completed the CaryTheLabelGuy (Jordan Tuned) process today with full E85 S2 Hybrid tune. Smooth as stock, pours on the power, and great service.... very happy customer!
      03-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #30
LINF83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

I have been with Cary for more then a year and my car never have any issues !! Great tuner and ez to work with.
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2020, 11:43 PM   #31
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Cary is awesome!
Appreciate 2
LINF83852.00
chen0.00
      03-04-2020, 11:48 PM   #32
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Cary is awesome!
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #33
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post
No dyno required. I've worked with him the last several months getting 93 and E85 dialed in using nothing but various logs obtained in accordance with his instructions.
What was that process like? What software do they ask you to do? They ask you to load up bootmod3 and just do some pulls then send them some logs or do they use different hardware/software?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:57 PM   #34
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored View Post
What was that process like? What software do they ask you to do? They ask you to load up bootmod3 and just do some pulls then send them some logs or do they use different hardware/software?
No special software. At a minimum, just flash the map (or map revision), log with bm3 and get 3 good WOT pulls along with some routine driving, request an update and add comments about drivability, issues, etc. New map revision follows within the next day or so. Repeat cycle until it's dialed in.

I've been running the full E85 tune for a few months now. As the ambient temps warm up and tires get tackier, my smile grows each day.
      03-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #35
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Wow, strong powerband. Looks like shifting at 6k rpm will keep you in the meat of the powerband and probable accellerate the fastest in the straight line.

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #36
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Wow, strong powerband. Looks like shifting at 6k rpm will keep you in the meat of the powerband and probable accellerate the fastest in the straight line.
Yeah sure pulls hard man, stock turbos are little limited up top with full E85, so I just shift little sooner with DCT FTW. There's no building in this thing 💪💨
      03-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #37
ckendri
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post
No dyno required. I've worked with him the last several months getting 93 and E85 dialed in using nothing but various logs obtained in accordance with his instructions.
It's super easy in BM3, and I had all of my tune revisions turned around in 24 hours. Cary was fast and efficient. As others have said, it is a simple process that can be done by getting clean logs to him. Just takes 3 pulls 3000-7500 in 3rd along with normal street driving for each log. Traction is the only enemy, so I even mixed in some 7500RPM pulls in 4th to maximize traction throughout.
      05-11-2020, 07:29 AM   #38
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Can you do Full E85 tune with stock dp and still run a strong tune... i don't track the car but drive spirited as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #39
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki View Post
Can you do Full E85 tune with stock dp and still run a strong tune... i don't track the car but drive spirited as a daily driver.
it's still a strong tune but you will be losing 30-40 whp

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #40
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
it's still a strong tune but you will be losing 30-40 whp
Hmm... my experience was actually different.

I was tuned with F80Paul full E85 aggressive tune, 26psi and I was running Akrapovic cat-less downpipes.

Well, I was kinda over the noise so I decided to switch back to stock downpipes, afterwards I did a few datalogs and sent them to F80Paul expecting at least a couple of revisions, but surprisingly everything was still perfect according to the logs. The car actually felt a bit quicker according to my butt dyno with the stock downpipes!

To put that to the test, I did some DRAGY 60-130 pulls and amazingly I was able to consistently shave off a tenth of a second with the stock downpipes compared to catless downpipes. With the exact same E85 tune.

Is my car a freak or are stock downpipes not restrictive at all unless you go over 600whp?
Appreciate 2
Tricki215.00
      05-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #41
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbAS55 View Post

I was tuned with F80Paul full E85 aggressive tune, 26psi and I was running Akrapovic cat-less downpipes.

Well, I was kinda over the noise so I decided to switch back to stock downpipes, afterwards I did a few datalogs and sent them to F80Paul expecting at least a couple of revisions, but surprisingly everything was still perfect according to the logs. The car actually felt a bit quicker according to my butt dyno with the stock downpipes!

To put that to the test, I did some DRAGY 60-130 pulls and amazingly I was able to consistently shave off a tenth of a second with the stock downpipes compared to catless downpipes. With the exact same E85 tune.

Is my car a freak or are stock downpipes not restrictive at all unless you go over 600whp?
Interestingly, I never tested both setups.

I spoke to Cary before I got the custom map and he recommended that I get a higher flow downpipe.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #42
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Interestingly, I never tested both setups.

I spoke to Cary before I got the custom map and he recommended that I get a higher flow downpipe.
I always reference this video.

Completely stock, only E85 tune and he is running 10.7@133 which is just as fast as guys running E85 and downpipes. If I recall, the black F80 he is running against is also E85 but with downpipes.

Appreciate 3
      05-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #43
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki View Post
Yes, you can, and you can even do it for free with MHD or BM3 (via their Support channel). Refer to https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1654586

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbAS55 View Post

I recall reading a post somewhere from Halim, where his team observed no significant power increase by switching to catless downpipes.

The main thing you want to keep an eye on is blowing out the honeycomb in the secondary cats as shared here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=92

Also, if you're running ethanol fuel, you may want to do some quick reading on its long term effects against the catalytic converter.
Appreciate 1
dcpatters250.00
      05-12-2020, 09:15 AM   #44
red_guapo
Private
Rep
Drives: Black M4 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82Vanja View Post
is this with oem plugs? or you had to swap to colder plugs. i'm running oem plugs right now, wondering if i have to swap them again to run this tune?
Appreciate 0