Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

AA Mid-pipe fitment issues. (pictures inside)

Hi all,

A few weeks back, I purchased an AA mid-pipe and got it installed but had some problems. During installation, couldn’t get the muffler side pipes to align and required me to shorten the muffler side pipe to about 1.3” and put some muscle in to get the muffler pipes aligned enough to put the coupler over it. Once tightened, it put strain on the hangers and pushed the single piece pipe to the side a bit which resulted in some rattling (not by the brace but in the tunnel where the second bend is). I had to go back under the car to wedge a spacer in the tunnel but that put further strain on the hangers and caused the muffle to be a bit mis-aligned from the back. I talked to AA (which are very helpful peeps) and they sent me replacements for the ball-joint to muffler pipes and installed them this weekend but still having the same issue. The muffler pipes don’t align organically and require some wiggling which puts strain on the hangers to get the coupler over them. Even with the muffler pushed up all they way up, the muffler pipe and the mid-pipe ball-joint pipe rub against each other and have to be forced.

All the hangers are installed in the correct position and the tightening order is correct (ball join gets tightened last). I’ve gone through many many adjustments and have spent 5 Saturdays under the car. I’m now wondering if the single mid-pipe piece is longer than it should or if it is slanted in some manner.

Has anyone experienced issues installing the muffler side pipes and noticed strain on hangers as well as misalignment of mufflers?

Car is 2018 M3 with ZCP package (stock downpipes), here are some pictures, any help and insight would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by hailpersia; 11-11-2019 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Hard to see what's going on but could it be possible the cuts you made to the OEM exhaust weren't at the correct areas? I've ran 2 AA mid pipes and both bolted on.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sorry to hear that OP, i suggest you reach out to Active Autowerke tomorrow morning. No fitment issues with this product

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #4
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Hard to see what's going on but could it be possible the cuts you made to the OEM exhaust weren't at the correct areas? I've ran 2 AA mid pipes and both bolted on.
I'm showing pictures of the hangers being pulled and the strain on them and they are when everything is fully bolted and tightened.

the other pictures show the gaps and position as well as how the pipes align with the muffler pipes.

the location of the cut is spot on and actually ever shorter than it should.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #5
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Sorry to hear that OP, i suggest you reach out to Active Autowerke tomorrow morning. No fitment issues with this product
I'm actually in discussion with them, they have been great.

I was just curious if someone had any insight or ran into a similar thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailpersia View Post

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

op,

Please Reach out to to our Support team if you are still having an issue. Cwong@activeautowerke.com
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Pictures are so bad lol, but from the first pic where the mid connects to the downpipe, it looks like its seated too far forward. Did you check the that the connection between the mid pipe and downpipe are properly seated on the stud and torqued?

That would probably be the first concern especially if everything is pushed forward.

For the connecting pipes to muffler did you try leaving the clamps from connecting to the mid slightly loose so they're connected but still room for adjustment? You can probably rotate the pipe into place to connect to the axle back.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #9
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
Pictures are so bad lol, but from the first pic where the mid connects to the downpipe, it looks like its seated too far forward. Did you check the that the connection between the mid pipe and downpipe are properly seated on the stud and torqued?

That would probably be the first concern especially if everything is pushed forward.

For the connecting pipes to muffler did you try leaving the clamps from connecting to the mid slightly loose so they're connected but still room for adjustment? You can probably rotate the pipe into place to connect to the axle back.
if you're referring to the rotation, the site rotates the pictures when I upload, not sure why. And the pictures are to specifically show the tunnel gap and the hangers only. I have a lot more pictures if you're curious to view them.

Regarding the "pushed forward", I had that inclination as well. However, the midpipe/downpipe connections are flush and torqued as they should. I've rotated it any which way and the ball joint piece is always tightened as the last step to allow for adjustment.

The purpose of the post was mostly to see if anyone had comments on the hangers and the stress on them. but the way the parts of this product and the stock parts in play, it's almost impossible to incorrectly install any of the pieces.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
if you're referring to the rotation, the site rotates the pictures when I upload, not sure why. And the pictures are to specifically show the tunnel gap and the hangers only. I have a lot more pictures if you're curious to view them.

Regarding the "pushed forward", I had that inclination as well. However, the midpipe/downpipe connections are flush and torqued as they should. I've rotated it any which way and the ball joint piece is always tightened as the last step to allow for adjustment.

The purpose of the post was mostly to see if anyone had comments on the hangers and the stress on them. but the way the parts of this product and the stock parts in play, it's almost impossible to incorrectly install any of the pieces.
Are you doing this on jack stands? If you could get a better angle to showcase the entire exhaust maybe I could point you in the right direction.

I commented about the pictures because yes we can see the issue but we can't see the big picture.

For the most part there are some units that do push the hangar forward with little stress and some that are a perfect fit. You can see here on if you zoom a bit on both pictures:

Appreciate 2
      11-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
Are you doing this on jack stands? If you could get a better angle to showcase the entire exhaust maybe I could point you in the right direction.

I commented about the pictures because yes we can see the issue but we can't see the big picture.

For the most part there are some units that do push the hangar forward with little stress and some that are a perfect fit. You can see here on if you zoom a bit on both pictures:

Thanks Justin for those pics.
Yes the car is on stands so hard to get the big picture view. I can try my best this weekend as I'm going take some measurements.

But what is there is those pictures is what I have going on too but a bit more pronounced. I'm not sure how well and long those hangers are going last and whether that strain may contribute to droning.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #12
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Based on your initial post it seems like you are following the right path around the tightening and aligning etc.

If applicable I would reach out to AA and see if they can ship u another unit even if it used for a trial fit. You pay the shipping etc but if indeed your original purchase is a dud they reimburse the funds for shipping both ways. I can appreciate it is frustrating and as others said hard to tell since on stands however imo the hangers are pulling a little to much for my liking.

Good luck and I'm sure AA will look after you.

Keep us posted and kudos for seeking assistance and not blaming the product in the first instance.
      11-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #13
Ilvez
Enlisted Member
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport, F10

These are pair of very tasty exhaust tips! Who makes them?

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvez View Post
REMUS

Appreciate 1
Ilvez24.00
      11-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Had the same problems this past week. I did the install with my mechanic on a lift and we had to put some pressure on exhaust hangers as well. Didn't line up as smooth as I thought it would but nothing is perfect. Getting some vibration now but I am sure its the stock oem brace thats rubbing sometimes. I will look under this weekend and see whats going on for sure.
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #16
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvez View Post

The pic features Remus Axle back with 102mm CF tips paired to Active mid pipe

Appreciate 1
Ilvez24.00