Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Vtt gc/gc+ turbo

Hey guys, recently acquired a dct m4 and looking into the VTT gc or gc+ turbo upgrade. Just curious if there are any current owners that could give feedback on them? Ill be going e85, PI, clutches, cooling ect.

Thanks!
(Sold) 2008 BMW M3 Coupe 6mt - VF-Engineering with Advanced fuel dynamics PROFLEX COMMANDER at 10psi 620/435@7800rm
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

You'd love the GC's. Spool and power... and cost for the performance are unmatched. If you're going to stay stock motor IMO stick with regular GC's, unless of course you like pushing super hard.

Some results thus far:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1660270
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #3
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
You'd love the GC's. Spool and power... and cost for the performance are unmatched. If you're going to stay stock motor IMO stick with regular GC's, unless of course you like pushing super hard.

Some results thus far:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1660270
Thanks for the feed back between the gc and gc+! On the gc+ will it be able to make peak power at redline? I might go gc+ bc down the road i might end up throwing in built rods and pistons. I noticed on the gc dyno for 93 redline power is slightly lower than peak power earlier in the powerband. I come from a s65 super charged motor car so peak power at redline is what im used to. Having this insane amount of tq on tap is amazing i will say!
(Sold) 2008 BMW M3 Coupe 6mt - VF-Engineering with Advanced fuel dynamics PROFLEX COMMANDER at 10psi 620/435@7800rm
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
luchocamp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M2LPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEastvold View Post
Thanks for the feed back between the gc and gc+! On the gc+ will it be able to make peak power at redline? I might go gc+ bc down the road i might end up throwing in built rods and pistons. I noticed on the gc dyno for 93 redline power is slightly lower than peak power earlier in the powerband. I come from a s65 super charged motor car so peak power at redline is what im used to. Having this insane amount of tq on tap is amazing i will say!
with GC you could make all the power to redline, that is tune related. You could make 800whp with GC . I do not now how much more hp or spool comapre with GC+.
instagram @luchocampusano YouTube Lucho Campusano
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2019, 02:45 AM   #5
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEastvold View Post
Hey guys, recently acquired a dct m4 and looking into the VTT gc or gc+ turbo upgrade. Just curious if there are any current owners that could give feedback on them? Ill be going e85, PI, clutches, cooling ect.

Thanks!
Cancel your order: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1669217
Appreciate 4
      11-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Cancel your order
A few years ago (2016-2017) we had some N54 turbine issues that were fully resolved quite a while ago. Ground up new turbines were sourced, GC2.0 was released, and we took care of the old customers. Current turbines are very advanced with no reported failures to date.

On this platform, there are tons of S55 GC’s in the field doing work! Turn them up and drive ‘em hard!

Chris
Appreciate 1
Mullypro300.50
      11-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #7
M3pedals
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
A few years ago (2016-2017) we had some N54 turbine issues that were fully resolved quite a while ago. Ground up new turbines were sourced, GC2.0 was released, and we took care of the old customers. Current turbines are very advanced with no reported failures to date.

On this platform, there are tons of S55 GC’s in the field doing work! Turn them up and drive ‘em hard!

Chris
i heard these were GC+'s on this car. Can you confirm?

GO TO 5:45
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Chris
That’s a very big statement. Now anytime there is a failure the joke’s on you. Hopefully there isn’t a need to revision 2, 3, 4 etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
What happened to this thread?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
VTT probably begged admins to delete it.

Way to go Chris, don’t address your rude customer service and instead get the thread deleted. Good move. Really going to convince everyone to go with your turbos now.
Appreciate 1
terahertz162.50
      11-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Way to go Chris, don’t address your rude customer service and instead get the thread deleted. Good move. Really going to convince everyone to go with your turbos now.
Can the admins do that? I'm thinking a settlement was reached with the OP and he removed it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can the admins do that? I'm thinking a settlement was reached with the OP and he removed it.
Yeah they can do that. They’re vendor biased.

Highly doubt they resolved it.

Chris says that it was an issue 3 years ago and nothing they could do but OP disagreed with it and showed proof

Last edited by aBMWfan; 11-15-2019 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Chris says that it was an issue 3 years ago and nothing they could do but OP disagreed with it and showed proof
Ah bummer! What about free speech! Haha jk.

Well regardless I do hope a positive situation comes out of all this.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #14
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Same but I can’t support them at this point
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #15
M3pedals
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same but I can’t support them at this point
What happened to you?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #16
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3pedals View Post
What happened to you?
Thank god nothing cause I decided to go with different brands for crankhub/ turbos. But when I was considering the VTT crankhub end of last year that’s when they had failure and then released a new version and offered the no spin guarantee. But at the end of day I’m 100% positive there would have been issues otherwise.

See the video above. They were so sure that first edition turbo was going to blow up and look what happens.

This isn’t a guessing game with engine mods. Not enough testing was done
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #17
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i heard these were GC+'s on this car. Can you confirm?

GO TO 5:45
Nope! Not us.

Quote:
That’s a very big statement. Now anytime there is a failure the joke’s on you. Hopefully there isn’t a need to revision 2, 3, 4 etc.
Bah. We're enthusiasts and made these turbos to be driven. We've been in the turbo business for over 40 years. The N54 turbine issue was unfortunate, but we embraced it as a learning experience and continue to push the envelope. Run 'em hard.

Quote:
Quote:

Thread was taken down by moderators as it was wrong section, and clearly an attempt to just spread some hate. It was pretty confusing to me to see a 2016 issue with N54 turbos brought up at the end of 2019 in the S55 section. I wrote in that thread to shoot me an email -directly- if he had any issues, but I don't think this was the goal; I haven't had any correspondence for almost 2 years with the guy. Not much I can do about that. We stand behind our products, yes, in 2016 we uncovered a bad manufacturing strategy that caused turbines to let go much earlier than we wanted. We covered anyone impacted by the turbines, even some guys with out of warranty issues or third party sales. That's standing behind your product. If someone chooses to not correspond with me, directly, which I reiterate many times on the forum and am doing so again here... well, I'm not sure why they wouldn't. Tony specifically hired me to help make the company better, and improve interaction. I pride myself on my professional interaction with our customers. Many of them keep in contact long after the sale, even as they change platforms. I don't get that many Christmas cards, but it has happened.

We're enthusiasts. We love turbos and modifying cars to make them more fun to drive. This is central to VTT.

Everyone is going to have some failures when pushing the envelope. That's part of the game (and that's why some guys stay stock; for the warranty). We understand this AND the desire to smile when you push the skinny pedal, which is why we put so much effort into consistently delivering products that perform and give you unmatched value for the dollar.

Quote:
No, unfortunately we had/have not been contacted by the OP. I would have tried to help him out same as I would anyone else had I been contacted and a dialog started. Zero input for the best part of 2 years and this out of the blue.

Quote:

The issue was on a different platform (N54) and indeed was discovered in late 2016/early 2017. Turbine problem was resolved. There are many potential causes for turbo failure or problems, and normally if anything comes up I systemically work through troubleshooting with the customer to figure out what's going on, why, and most importantly how to get them back on the road or track doing what they love. I understand the customers' frustration, but the only problems I can help resolve are those brought to my attention.

Quote:

Me too. Reading that thread wasn't the start to my day that I wanted. This is personal to me. I'm an enthusiast and I know what it's like to get burned by bum parts. Many years ago I was once stranded,10 o'clock at night, the night before Easter, 250 miles away from home with an angry soon-to-be-ex-wife wondering where I was as some "experimental" Subaru turbo seals gave up the ghost with less than 1000 miles of easy driving, once I got on the dyno. Cost me a bunch of money in labor, (a bummed ride home from a good friend), pain and hassle. We work our asses off to ensure that situations like that do not happen. The N54 turbine issue bothered us greatly, and caused us to look hard at what happened, how to fix it, and how to avoid that going forward. Now don't get me wrong, turbos aren't something you can improperly install and just send with no consequences (do your boost leak checks folks), but we made these things to be driven hard. So run 'em hard.

I will not continue to address this issue here. If someone has a concern, or wants to ask more details/figure out what happened, email me and I'm happy to start a dialog. If anyone has a VTT product that they have questions about, email me and I'll be happy to work with you. If anyone has an issue with their VTT product(s), email me and I'll do my best to make things right; even if it's a user-caused issue, we still bend over backwards to help people because we are enthusiasts (and competitors) through and through, that's central to our values, and part of what makes this job so much fun. We want the same thing. Bottom line, email me, even if just to say hi.

Stay positive,
Chris
Appreciate 1
farbmw420.50
      11-15-2019, 10:28 PM   #18
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
What happened to you?
Thank god nothing cause I decided to go with different brands for crankhub/ turbos. But when I was considering the VTT crankhub end of last year that's when they had failure and then released a new version and offered the no spin guarantee. But at the end of day I'm 100% positive there would have been issues otherwise.

See the video above. They were so sure that first edition turbo was going to blow up and look what happens.

This isn't a guessing game with engine mods. Not enough testing was done
In the aftermarket it's an absolute guessing game when it comes to parts and solutions.

There can be some testing but no where near as vigorous as a company like bmw. There simply isn't the budget to put much time and money into R and D followed by testing.

Theoretical concept to a prototype to a shop test car to limited numbers then to the customer.

If you think any of the crank Hub solutions have any kind of solid proof other than theoretical then I'm afraid you are putting to much faith in them. You are in part the tester and Guinea pig whether you like it or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 12:18 AM   #19
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
In the aftermarket it's an absolute guessing game when it comes to parts and solutions.

There can be some testing but no where near as vigorous as a company like bmw. There simply isn't the budget to put much time and money into R and D followed by testing.

Theoretical concept to a prototype to a shop test car to limited numbers then to the customer.

If you think any of the crank Hub solutions have any kind of solid proof other than theoretical then I'm afraid you are putting to much faith in them. You are in part the tester and Guinea pig whether you like it or not.
Single piece crankhubs have zero failures. I made the right choice
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 12:51 AM   #20
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:

Single piece crankhubs have zero failures. I made the right choice
Keeping the car stock - that's the right choice.
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2019, 01:29 AM   #21
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keeping the car stock - that's the right choice.
Noob. Putting your trust with the stock hub
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #22
M3pedals
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope! Not us.
I got a PM from another forum member who said he was looking into this video before buying and spoke to the shop FiveBar. The guy at the shop said that they were not allowed to discuss the specifics of what happened because the owner of the car had an NDA with VTT but to stay far away from Vargas products. Not sure why the guy would mention having an NDA with you guys and to stay away in the same sentence if it wasn't you guys...... sounds like it definitely was you guys.....
Appreciate 0