Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #89
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Crippling the OBD2 port shouldn't be marketed as an anti-theft device.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #90
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

SO which Piggyback unit makes the most rwhp? Piggyback as in NO Wire hacks.
      03-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #91
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP
hilarity ensues
Since you're in Canada, we can eventually meet.

So how are u liking your tune? It's been a while; any noticeable difference?
      03-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #92
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
What are the downsides? the OBD2 port could be permanently damaged?
      03-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #93
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
What are the downsides? the OBD2 port could be permanently damaged?
The OBD2 port is intercepted, making it useless for diagnostics while in use. Meaning one must remember to disable the module in order to a tech to perform a diagnostic scan if troubleshooting (not only related to DME).

Worst case scenario would be forgetting to turn off the module and a BMW tech spending time troubleshooting why a scanner isn't communicating properly.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #94
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
I mean the ability to read and clear diagnostic fault codes and output tuning data from the box itself. The Dinan install directions specify you need an external code reader to properly install the piggyback. Other piggybacks with CANbus have this functionality built in.
You can read codes, program vehicle, and retrofit functions with Dinan installed.
The "external code reader" you may be referring to is the Dinan programing computer.
The way the Dinantronics works is you install the complete harness and control module. Then the programing computer wirelessly programs the Dinan module with the performance software level that is chosen.
Nothing interferes with communication to the car.
I have programmed and installed many Dinantronic units with never an issue
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #95
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

I have personally never tuned, nor have any interest in modifying my stock vehicles from the engine perspective. But just for purpose of discussion (and my lack of knowledge) how would an Alpina tuned vehicle differ from many of these? I assumed they have all new ECU's created (and various other internals ie.. intercoolers/fuel pumps etc...) but I was just curious.
Reviews of the B3 for example, reflect they certainly do something right.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #96
Sales@Alekshop
Rep

Quote:
I agree with Tom

We do not like to tap into CAN bus on our customers cars. We use ESS E-Tronic due to the features, power and control they offer while not having to access CAN bus or crippling the OBD port.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #97
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
The OBD2 port is intercepted, making it useless for diagnostics while in use. Meaning one must remember to disable the module in order to a tech to perform a diagnostic scan if troubleshooting (not only related to DME).

Worst case scenario would be forgetting to turn off the module and a BMW tech spending time troubleshooting why a scanner isn't communicating properly.
But your valve control module wire taps in to the CAN BUS wires at the OBDII port too.

I always thought it would be required that a CAN BUS enabled tune would turn itself off it anything was ever connected to the OBDII port but now I understand why they have not enabled it that way. It's a sneaky way to block would-be car thieves. I would be willing to bet if users were to demand that the piggyback disable itself if anyone were to plug in to the OBDII port such a firmware revision or option would be quickly released. Has anyone ever asked for this?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #98
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
You can read codes, program vehicle, and retrofit functions with Dinan installed.
The "external code reader" you may be referring to is the Dinan programing computer.
The way the Dinantronics works is you install the complete harness and control module. Then the programing computer wirelessly programs the Dinan module with the performance software level that is chosen.
Nothing interferes with communication to the car.
I have programmed and installed many Dinantronic units with never an issue
I meant for those who are installing the DTRONICS at home, or troubleshooting issues with their vehicles, it would be nice if the unit could clear diagnostic codes without the need of plugging an additional device in to the OBDII port. The piggyback has CAN BUS functionality but I can't find any evidence that it is being used currently. Maybe for S2 or S3?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #99
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Anyone got feedback on standalone ECUs?
      03-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #100
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
But your valve control module wire taps in to the CAN BUS wires at the OBDII port too.

I always thought it would be required that a CAN BUS enabled tune would turn itself off it anything was ever connected to the OBDII port but now I understand why they have not enabled it that way. It's a sneaky way to block would-be car thieves. I would be willing to bet if users were to demand that the piggyback disable itself if anyone were to plug in to the OBDII port such a firmware revision or option would be quickly released. Has anyone ever asked for this?
Awron's Digital display is a good example of a passive mode, this is shown at 2:21 of the video below:

As soon as a diagnostic connector is plugged in, it goes into diagnostic mode. The Macht Schnell EVC module also is passive, leaving the OBD2 port open while in use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Anyone got feedback on standalone ECUs?
Testing as we speak. Once these become mainstream, piggybacks will start phasing out.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #101
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
I meant for those who are installing the DTRONICS at home, or troubleshooting issues with their vehicles, it would be nice if the unit could clear diagnostic codes without the need of plugging an additional device in to the OBDII port. The piggyback has CAN BUS functionality but I can't find any evidence that it is being used currently. Maybe for S2 or S3?
I see what you mean.
Yes it wont do that at this current time.
But you would need a diagnostic to do fault reading, programing etc. from obd port regardless.
S1, S2, S3, etc are only a specific label the vehicle receives after "X" amount of Dinan items installed on a vehicle. It is not just a specific level of software.
Dinantronics may be able to do fault code reading/clearing in the future when the Bluetooth app is available for customers. But that is not confirmed at all yet. From what I know, the Bluetooth feature will allow the user to switch between maps and a valet mode

Last edited by A Frankfurt; 03-30-2015 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #102
Steveo
Captain
Rep

Can you still code or flash ECUs with JB4 connected/hooked up?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #103
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Will COBB have a tune for this car soon?
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #104
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDIVISION View Post
Will COBB have a tune for this car soon?
Cobb had said they were not working on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #105
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Can you still code or flash ECUs with JB4 connected/hooked up?
Yes just needs to be set to map0

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #106
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Any more updates OP?

Have you switched in the ESS tune??
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #107
pigwet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80, CP, DCT

Updates as of late.

I still haven't installed the new JB4 OBD cable as I ran into a few difficulties after my first attempt. So right now it is still "tapped" into the CANBUS in engine bay. Power is still fantastic even in hot weather.

I also sent in my old ESS module for a new one that does not have the battery drain "feature". I may install it after next oil change but I've been very busy.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #108
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Any more updates OP?

Have you switched in the ESS tune??
I've run both JB4 in map1/2 and ESS e-tronics in stage 1/2. If you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer them.

JB4 OBDII connector does not seem like it was tested at all on 6MT cars. Frankly I feel like a stepchild running 6MT with JB4 these days. The power is great but the features always seem to be more buggy on 6MT cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #109
pigwet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80, CP, DCT

I finally switched to the ESS tune and I have to say what everyone else has said - it is very smooth and pulls just as hard as the JB4. I was somewhat skeptical of the smoothness claim as it came from people who had automatics but I would argue it is also applicable to manuals.

So far I've tried the linear (1) and normal (3) maps on 91 octane with no plus or minus in boost. Where I really notice the difference is in the low end - below 3000 rpm. There is a noticeable power/torque increase compared to the JB4 and it follows up with smooth ripping power as you increase in RPM. I'm quite impressed.

Aside from having to splice wires and all that with the JB4, I actually found the ESS a bit more difficult to install. The CAM sensor was tricky to remove (performed with long skinny flat head) and to install (really tight area if you don't remove the intake pipes which I did not).

So the saga continues...
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #110
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I've run both JB4 in map1/2 and ESS e-tronics in stage 1/2. If you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer them.

JB4 OBDII connector does not seem like it was tested at all on 6MT cars. Frankly I feel like a stepchild running 6MT with JB4 these days. The power is great but the features always seem to be more buggy on 6MT cars.
Thanks I may hit you up with some questions. I also have 6MT. What do you have in your car currently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigwet View Post
I finally switched to the ESS tune and I have to say what everyone else has said - it is very smooth and pulls just as hard as the JB4. I was somewhat skeptical of the smoothness claim as it came from people who had automatics but I would argue it is also applicable to manuals.

So far I've tried the linear (1) and normal (3) maps on 91 octane with no plus or minus in boost. Where I really notice the difference is in the low end - below 3000 rpm. There is a noticeable power/torque increase compared to the JB4 and it follows up with smooth ripping power as you increase in RPM. I'm quite impressed.

Aside from having to splice wires and all that with the JB4, I actually found the ESS a bit more difficult to install. The CAM sensor was tricky to remove (performed with long skinny flat head) and to install (really tight area if you don't remove the intake pipes which I did not).

So the saga continues...
Thanks for the update. Soooo..... which one will you keep?

Also, have you noticed any more traction issues with ESS over JB4?

I had just about eliminated JB4 for myself, since I wanted mainly a 'set it and forget it' tune that offered max reliability. JB4 seemed to allow the most tinkering, Dinan the least (and is too expensive); ESS might have been just right. But then one of the forum members switched from ESS to JB4, saying ESS wasn't very linear or had some problems or something. And I also realized you can just tinker JB4 to make it very conservative. Which left me even more
Appreciate 1