Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #23
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
I'd be very interested in the AA exhaust, specially being a local guy, but dat price tho

maybe if they have a black-friday-special-price-for-old-local-customers-via-PM type of deal would make it more appealing

This exhaust wont be on the black Friday list his year. To new of a release and we can barely keep up with the demand making them in house.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #24
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus321 View Post
You are more then welcome to hear it anytime you are here

What part of nc are you from?
I live in pinehurst so I'm only an hour away. I'll definitely hit you up next time i'm up that way
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #25
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Heard it. Loved it. Will order once I get a car.

Thanks Marcus!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #26
Kr3st
Wheel Whore
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post

Thanks Marcus!
Order before.

It's all made by hand and you don't want to get at the end of the line. I ordered mine before my car even finished production.
      11-23-2015, 07:34 AM   #27
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Wait I just read OP again. You got instructions and a free t shirt?? I got hosed lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #28
Kr3st
Wheel Whore
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Wait I just read OP again. You got instructions and a free t shirt?? I got hosed lol.
Hahahaha.

Andrew, send me and DMK a shirt!

Don't make me call Rob on you!
      11-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #29
Maxis
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F83

Finally an exhaust that doesn't rasp.

11-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #30
marcus321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr3st View Post
Hahahaha.

Andrew, send me and DMK a shirt!

Don't make me call Rob on you!
Haha sure did!

IG: marcusnc1
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #31
marcus321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post

Thanks Marcus!
Nice meeting you, glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing yours when you get it .

IG: marcusnc1
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #32
A1PericoM3
Banned
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: F80 MW/SO

Just had the AA mid pipe installed on my F80 with no mufflers currently because my muffler delete's wouldn't mate up, but WOW!!!!! This mid pipe is no joke, was deff not expecting such a huge power increase! This car is scary fast and sounds amazing even with no mufflers or straight pipes on!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #33
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

Been busy as crap lately. BUT I got to meet up with the OP and hear this exhaust! It's really really sweet. He was nice enough to take me for a quick ride to hear how it sounds under normal driving conditions and not just revving in a parking lot. I thought the exhaust sounded really good. While I do wish there was a 'very quiet mode' with a valved option... It's not too loud until you really roll in to the throttle. On a day to day basis you would love this exhaust, esp if you drive with the valves open most of the time anyway.
      11-28-2015, 09:37 PM   #34
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Marcus I better get a ride in this car sometime lol. I know revving at cars and coffee is frowned upon so I didn't ask today, but the video sounds great! I love the deep rumble and lack of rasp. Good seeing you!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #35
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Active's sound is clean, but uninteresting and too muted. I've driven one because it sounded kinda cool on videos. Imho, it needs downpipes in order for it to sound interesting, on its own it's too quiet. Sort of reminds me of AWE's res version, also too quiet without DPs. From the outside it's not bad, but dude, inside, it's too muted.

Everyone seems to talk about rasp as bad thing, but imo, it's a good thing when done right. When you introduce the DPs to the Active system, it will add some modicum of rasp, which is a good thing on this system actually.

Here is one with DPs, and even then it's kind of tame inside the cabin windows down even...

Last edited by Class-of-2016; 11-29-2015 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #36
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2016 View Post
Active's sound is clean, but uninteresting and too muted. I've driven one because it sounded kinda cool on videos. Imho, it needs downpipes in order for it to sound interesting, on its own it's too quiet. Sort of reminds me of AWE's res version, also too quiet without DPs. From the outside it's not bad, but dude, inside, it's too muted.

Everyone seems to talk about rasp as bad thing, but imo, it's a good thing when done right. When you introduce the DPs to the Active system, it will add some modicum of rasp, which is a good thing on this system actually.

Here is one with DPs, and even then it's kind of tame inside the cabin windows down even...
Interesting take. I have downpipes and full AA. Still no rasp.

Too muted for you maybe but thats subjective. I think the volume is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:02 AM   #37
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interesting take. I have downpipes and full AA. Still no rasp.

Too muted for you maybe but thats subjective. I think the volume is perfect.
Subjective is the key term for sure What people should be posting are sweet videos showing what they're hearing. Can you post some fly bys and interior sound videos of what you're hearing? That would be great for everyone!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #38
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Subjective is the key term for sure What people should be posting are sweet videos showing what they're hearing. Can you post some fly bys and interior sound videos of what you're hearing? That would be great for everyone!
Yes, I plan to do more videos soon. I switched to Eisenmann downpipes over the weekend. Just to see if different downpipes really change the sound. I dont have enough seat time to comment yet.

I have posted two in the car videos of my AA with ER downpipes. One with the windows up and one with them down. I need to find a camera mount though its hard to film with a 6mt.

Up..

Down..

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #39
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

I really love this sound, how does it compare volume wise vs. stock with open valves? I am starting to think that even as a valveless option the AA still may be the way to go. I just am worried about the volume on that cold start in the morning at 5:30am with my catless DPs.
      11-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #40
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
I really love this sound, how does it compare volume wise vs. stock with open valves? I am starting to think that even as a valveless option the AA still may be the way to go. I just am worried about the volume on that cold start in the morning at 5:30am with my catless DPs.
Wont be any louder than a valved system with DP if not quieter. Remember no valves = all exhaust going through the mufflers always. Its quieter than AWE resonated with Dp on cold start for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #41
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I plan to do more videos soon. I switched to Eisenmann downpipes over the weekend. Just to see if different downpipes really change the sound. I dont have enough seat time to comment yet.

I have posted two in the car videos of my AA with ER downpipes. One with the windows up and one with them down. I need to find a camera mount though its hard to film with a 6mt.
Thanks for sharing! It's a clean sound as I mentioned before but too tame and muted in the cabin, and that's already with DPs I see + windows down, actually surprised it isn't more guttural, resonant in the cabin, it almost sounds deadened and hits a numb sound ceiling of growl.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #42
jayyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2016
Quote:

Thanks for sharing! It's a clean sound as I mentioned before but too tame and muted in the cabin, and that's already with DPs I see + windows down, actually surprised it isn't more guttural, resonant in the cabin, it almost sounds deadened and hits a numb sound ceiling of growl.
The true interior sound does not translate well in videos as cameras aren't able to pick up the deep note.You HAVE to experience it in person to really appreciate it. The AA exhaust note is definitely audible inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:31 AM   #43
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyp View Post
The true interior sound does not translate well in videos as cameras aren't able to pick up the deep note.You HAVE to experience it in person to really appreciate it. The AA exhaust note is definitely audible inside.
Per my above note, I've driven one . I guess you need it with DPs in order to make it sound like you say "in person", I guess they should come out with a non-res version that doesn't require DPs that adds another $500-$1000 to the price tag (i.e. ER DPs).

It's unfortunately too tame and muted for me, it's got to do with the tones in the cabin not reaching enough higher / varied notes probably - almost too clean...Deep is great, but like any great staccato exhaust note, there needs to be varied tones I think that you can hear individually, in harmony, to get that lovely note.

I wanted to see if others with different set-ups (plus other types of DPs) were hearing something different. You could be right about the recording, but it seems the other exhaust camps haven't really had a problem providing decent videos (akra, eisen, gthaus, awe, armytrix, etc.). AA isn't a newcomer without resources to record quality videos, so I'm surprised there aren't better ones available.

It would be great if you shared your videos too, just gives more options to listen to. I think the one I provided from YouTube is probably the best one I've heard (see above).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #44
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Per my above note, I've driven one . I guess you need it with DPs in order to make it sound like you say "in person", I guess they should come out with a non-res version that doesn't require DPs that adds another $500-$1000 to the price tag (i.e. ER DPs).

It's unfortunately too tame and muted for me, it's got to do with the tones in the cabin not reaching enough higher / varied notes probably - almost too clean...Deep is great, but like any great staccato exhaust note, there needs to be varied tones I think that you can hear individually, in harmony, to get that lovely note.

I wanted to see if others with different set-ups (plus other types of DPs) were hearing something different. You could be right about the recording, but it seems the other exhaust camps haven't really had a problem providing decent videos (akra, eisen, gthaus, awe, armytrix, etc.). AA isn't a newcomer without resources to record quality videos, so I'm surprised there aren't better ones available.

It would be great if you shared your videos too, just gives more options to listen to. I think the one I provided from YouTube is probably the best one I've heard (see above).
AA has no resonators. The difference once again is that its valveless and always goes through the muffler. Is it the loudest? No. Is it loud with DP? Yes.

All those other videos may be good too bad those exhausts sound raspy as hell in person. AA is the anti-rasp exhaust. If you want a raspy banshee get AWE.
Appreciate 0