ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #45
2SNAILS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blurple

Garage List
2018 F80  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2016 View Post
Per my above note, I've driven one . I guess you need it with DPs in order to make it sound like you say "in person", I guess they should come out with a non-res version that doesn't require DPs that adds another $500-$1000 to the price tag (i.e. ER DPs).

It's unfortunately too tame and muted for me, it's got to do with the tones in the cabin not reaching enough higher / varied notes probably - almost too clean...Deep is great, but like any great staccato exhaust note, there needs to be varied tones I think that you can hear individually, in harmony, to get that lovely note.

I wanted to see if others with different set-ups (plus other types of DPs) were hearing something different. You could be right about the recording, but it seems the other exhaust camps haven't really had a problem providing decent videos (akra, eisen, gthaus, awe, armytrix, etc.). AA isn't a newcomer without resources to record quality videos, so I'm surprised there aren't better ones available.

It would be great if you shared your videos too, just gives more options to listen to. I think the one I provided from YouTube is probably the best one I've heard (see above).
AA has no resonators. The difference once again is that its valveless and always goes through the muffler. Is it the loudest? No. Is it loud with DP? Yes.

All those other videos may be good too bad those exhausts sound raspy as hell in person. AA is the anti-rasp exhaust. If you want a raspy banshee get AWE.
Dmk08
Any chance we can get sum video of sum passes with ur car and the AA setup u have??
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #46
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans 335i View Post
Dmk08
Any chance we can get sum video of sum passes with ur car and the AA setup u have??
Yeah trying to find a "Camera Man" Hopefully I can get them done this week.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #47
jayyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

Quote:
Per my above note, I've driven one . I guess you need it with DPs in order to make it sound like you say "in person", I guess they should come out with a non-res version that doesn't require DPs that adds another $500-$1000 to the price tag (i.e. ER DPs).

It's unfortunately too tame and muted for me, it's got to do with the tones in the cabin not reaching enough higher / varied notes probably - almost too clean...Deep is great, but like any great staccato exhaust note, there needs to be varied tones I think that you can hear individually, in harmony, to get that lovely note.

I wanted to see if others with different set-ups (plus other types of DPs) were hearing something different. You could be right about the recording, but it seems the other exhaust camps haven't really had a problem providing decent videos (akra, eisen, gthaus, awe, armytrix, etc.). AA isn't a newcomer without resources to record quality videos, so I'm surprised there aren't better ones available.

It would be great if you shared your videos too, just gives more options to listen to. I think the one I provided from YouTube is probably the best one I've heard (see above).
I have shared my video on several threads so far:
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #48
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyp View Post
I have shared my video on several threads so far:
Cool! Thanks for sharing, this confirms for me it's a bit tame for my tastes (especially from interior vids). I like there to be more character in the exhaust note.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #49
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool! Thanks for sharing, this confirms for me it's a bit tame for my tastes (especially from interior vids). I like there to be more character in the exhaust note.
By more character do you mean sound like a ricer on steroids? Because thats what the other exhausts you listed sound like..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #50
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
AA has no resonators. The difference once again is that its valveless and always goes through the muffler. Is it the loudest? No. Is it loud with DP? Yes.

All those other videos may be good too bad those exhausts sound raspy as hell in person. AA is the anti-rasp exhaust. If you want a raspy banshee get AWE.
Hey thanks for your advice, that's good to know. Yup, too tame as I was saying to Jay...I've heard the others too, and think if anything MPE and Akra have that crazy tinny can / rasp sound going on more than the others out there. GTHaus and Armytrix even more so. AWE I would say is probably a good mix between both having deep notes and some rasp / pitch at high revs.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #51
mlovernotafighter
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

This is great, the thread I was looking for. IMO, I think the AA exhaust just sounds like an AWE resonated exhaust, maybe a tad different on redline, but same deep note.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #52
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlovernotafighter View Post
This is great, the thread I was looking for. IMO, I think the AA exhaust just sounds like an AWE resonated exhaust, maybe a tad different on redline, but same deep note.
As someone who has owned both I can say no way. AWE resonated is a good bit more raspy with downpipes. Well unless you lock the valves closed and force it through the muffler. Then it's pretty close to AA.

AA tips look way better.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #53
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks for your advice, that's good to know. Yup, too tame as I was saying to Jay...I've heard the others too, and think if anything MPE and Akra have that crazy tinny can / rasp sound going on more than the others out there. GTHaus and Armytrix even more so. AWE I would say is probably a good mix between both having deep notes and some rasp / pitch at high revs.
Cold start video today. Full AA + Eisenmann DP. I actually am getting a little more rasp with the Eisenmann than the ER. Not sure what changes that.

Appreciate 3
      11-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #54
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

Quote:
Cold start video today. Full AA + Eisenmann DP. I actually am getting a little more rasp with the Eisenmann than the ER. Not sure what changes that.

Sounds beast

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #55
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
By more character do you mean sound like a ricer on steroids? Because thats what the other exhausts you listed sound like..
you crack me up, it is like you cannot fathom how anyone has a differing opinion on the AA set up hahaha. you should totally work for AA!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #56
mlovernotafighter
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlovernotafighter View Post
As someone who has owned both I can say no way. AWE resonated is a good bit more raspy with downpipes. Well unless you lock the valves closed and force it through the muffler. Then it's pretty close to AA.

AA tips look way better.
Thanks for the feedback!

Actually referring to no DPs, not interested in adding it. Looks like the AA setup requires it to even sound aggressive enough, even then, that video of the "in cabin" sound is a bit quiet.

I do like the straight cut tips, but wouldn't be surprised if the other exhausts at that level followed suit with options, easy enough to offer.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #57
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Sounds great

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #58
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you crack me up, it is like you cannot fathom how anyone has a differing opinion on the AA set up hahaha. you should totally work for AA!
Actually its that Ive been crazy enough to own 5 systems already so I have a lot of first hand experience. Really trying to help weed out misconceptions for potential buyers as most info is posted by vendors. Ive wasted a lot of money I hope my fellow M owners can learn from my trials.

None of these systems are perfect I just think AA is the best sounding. Even though it is quieter. Best build quality is Akra/MPE.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #59
marcus321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Acura NSX

Quote:
Actually its that Ive been crazy enough to own 5 systems already so I have a lot of first hand experience. Really trying to help weed out misconceptions for potential buyers as most info is posted by vendors. Ive wasted a lot of money I hope my fellow M owners can learn from my trials.

None of these systems are perfect I just think AA is the best sounding. Even though it is quieter. Best build quality is Akra/MPE.
I agree with you on this as well. Best quality does indeed fall under Akra then very close behind is the MPE. I have heard 4 different systems so far and I just havent found one that sounds better then AA. Some of them got a really good start/idle but that is quickly ruined by the rasp when driven.

IG: marcusnc1
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #60
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

, but for trying to share the knowledge, that's so big of you bro.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #61
2SNAILS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blurple

Garage List
2018 F80  [9.75]
For those of you, who have the AA setup, is there any performance gains perhaps? Rumor is that the awe exhaust looses low end torque, not sure how factual that may be!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #62
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:

btw dmk.

What do you prefer for deep tones? AWE Resonated or AA?

I still want to know how much heavier this is compared to the MPE.
      11-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #63
jayyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans 335i View Post
For those of you, who have the AA setup, is there any performance gains perhaps? Rumor is that the awe exhaust looses low end torque, not sure how factual that may be!
I shit you not, I actually noticed a throttle improvement after installing the full AA exhaust. Mind you I did not expect any performance gains whatsoever, but I definitely did with this setup; it must be that single fat midpipe. A buddy of mine who recently installed the AA exhaust said the same thing as well.
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #64
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
btw dmk.

What do you prefer for deep tones? AWE Resonated or AA?

I still want to know how much heavier this is compared to the MPE.
I never ran AWE resonated or AA without DP. With DP AA is deeper and AWE is more raw.

If I never wanted to get DPs I would have kept M Perf. I really liked the way it sounded, great weight, and awesome finish/fitment. Its more of a scream like a banshee WOT though.

My suggestion is to try and hear them all in person. Its so hard to really tell by videos. None of them were what I expected after listening to videos.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:10 PM   #65
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
I never ran AWE resonated or AA without DP. With DP AA is deeper and AWE is more raw.

If I never wanted to get DPs I would have kept M Perf. I really liked the way it sounded, great weight, and awesome finish/fitment. Its more of a scream like a banshee WOT though.

My suggestion is to try and hear them all in person. Its so hard to really tell by videos. None of them were what I expected after listening to videos.
Ya... I haven't done that. I heard MPE but it was in Efficient pulling out of the dealership lol.
      12-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #66
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Building Systems Daily.

Last edited by SflBimmer8484; 12-02-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0