Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-18-2019, 05:24 AM   #1
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4 comp

2018 m4 zcp build

So I’ve officially began this build which should be completed in the next 2-4 weeks!

Started with bringing my car to a local tint shop yesterday to remove what was on the car already and reinstall 5% on the back three windows with 30% on the front driver/pass windows. That combo gives you privacy while not being “blacked out”. They did an excellent job and the tint edges up to the the front windows perfectly!!

Also I’ve ordered all exterior and interior parts I think the car needed for a clean oem+ look and they have started to arrive!! H&R sport springs showed up first followed by all the paint matched exterior pieces from ind-distribution...sapphire black front/rear reflectors, side vents and key hole covers as well as m performance carbon steering wheel trim with sapphire black over the silver surround.

Fed ex left me a door tag for my CS alcantara steering wheel, m performance carbon shift knob and shifter surround trim replacement I ordered from Bmwpartspro. I think that will clean up everything quite nice and give it the oem+ look I usually go for! Shipping from both companies was quick and all painted pieces were packaged well.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2019, 05:29 AM   #2
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Pics or it didn’t happen lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
JAL0988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i, 2022 X5 M50i

Seems like a great start. Keep us updated with pics!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL0988 View Post
Seems like a great start. Keep us updated with pics!
Will do!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Installed the m performance shift knob and trim surround today! The alcantara is a nice touch and it turned it really nice! Unfortunately I don’t have my tools here in the Midwest so I have to either buy what I need or bring tools from Cali. Either way I’m glad to officially start changing shit lol
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got the rear reflectors swapped out at my office yesterday afternoon! Fitment was equal to oem so anyone who complained didn’t pay attention to how the originals fit. Looks wayyyyy cleaner for sure! Going to do the front reflectors later today as well as my CS steering wheel! I ended up going to Home Depot to by a mechanics tool kit so I could install everything here myself ASAP lol. Also bought a big bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner and upper cylinder lubricant which I always do after I buy a new-used car. Just run it at 8oz per tank until it’s gone and the use it occasionally thereafter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Looks great! Keep up the good work!
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #9
figure99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 - ZCP

Great start beginning with the small things that really give it a clean look! My only critique is the tint... IMO keeping the the same tint on all the windows is the cleanest look. Personally a lighter shade (30-40%) all around looks best IMO. If you have dark interior 25% would be a good middle ground. Other than that it looks great!

Also, if you get the itch to start some performance mods the options are many... the itch never seems to go away haha. Start with the MP HAS to get rid of the wheel gap and improve handling. Best of luck!
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #10
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback fellas! I’m so used to California and trying to keep cops off my ass that I’ve always rocked lighter up front and 5% rear. I went with 30% on the fronts since legal limit is 25% here but still like the 5% on the rear for a bit more privacy. My girl likes to play in the car randomly so there’s that too lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #11
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lots of progress yesterday!! I had some free time in the afternoon so I got started by swapping the paint matched side vents. I taped off the area, removed the side markers/mounts and carefully prayed the vent tabs from behind the fender and removed them. Little sketchy but only took about 10 mins per side.

Then I started on the front reflectors which are a pita to get out! The how to vid made it look like they just fell right out but that’s not the case lol. Using heat to soften the sticky tape would have been easier but I just muscled them out. I was pushing so hard one of them actually broke in half lol. New pained ones went in easily and fit well after rolling off any excess adhesive with my finger.

My girl got back and wanted to help change the steering wheel so like any guy would assume they didn’t hear her right I asked huh? Lol. We went out and got to work. Followed a how to video as a reference while we went along and it went pretty smooth. The little clips are a pitd but aside from that it’s all pretty straightforward. Took about 30 mins or so and we had the guts swapped over and the new CS wheel back on! My girl did great and actually helped grab tools, looks at/messed with the clips and remembered how the wires we laid out inside the wheel. Any neighbors who saw her in a dress and heels helping must wonder what I’m doing right lol.

Once we got that done we grabbed alcohol and paper towels to clean off the emblems to prepare for the carbon overpays I ordered. I wanted to get rid of the blue and white on the bmw logo and this is my only option for the steering wheel. It came with precut pieces for every logo on the car so I figured I would try it for $8 before I bought $30 replacement emblems. Took a bit to line up the pieces perfectly, covering all the blue and white but it turned out really good! The carbon was 3m and fairly thick so it should last a long time. Still need to do the wheels but I will do that after I get back next week once it’s fully detailed.

So the only things left for me to do is change the paint matched lock covers, put carbon stickers on the bmw wheel logos and I’m going to swap to 2-piece rotors front and rear. I’ll be scheduling with tom@eas Monday to send my car to him for the performance build and I’m going to have him install the H&R lowering springs I have as well. Coming along nicely but I can’t wait for it to be a 700+whp monster!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

More pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #13
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Deposit placed yesterday for my build with EaS to get parts ordering underway!

Also ordered larger exhaust tips for my comp exhaust from supreme power, but they are 10 days out on lead time��
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 12:29 AM   #14
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Forgot how much I love this car!! After driving my c63s all last week and hopping in the m4 today, I honestly can say I like the m4 better!! They are fairly equal as far as having all options and both having each company’s performance seats...m4 is just more racecar !!

I ordered 2 piece floating front/rear wave rotors at the airport this morning on my way out of town for work haha. These rotors are from the same company I used on my c63s and I’ve had zero issues after daily driving, canyon ripping and Mexico racing for the last 6 months or so.

I’ll be doing some side by side comparison as far as looks are concerned, as well as getting some weight figures from both the new and oem rotors. They are expediting my shipping so I will have them in the next few days and will install them while I’m here for the week.

Also going to get the 295/30/20 ps4s put on the rears tomorrow morning and then a full mobil detail inside and out after!! Pics coming soon!

Last edited by BlownOne; 09-30-2019 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 06:43 AM   #15
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got the Michelin pilot sport 4s put on the rear yesterday morning then had my mobile detail guy (Mirror Image) meet me at the gym for a full interior/exterior detail!! He finished everything in about 2 hours and did a great job making sure everything was on point. For $105 the convenience factor and attention to detail was well worth it! Anyone in the Tulsa area should definitely give him a shout.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #16
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I typed a nice post with pics but the site freaked out when I tired to close the pic window so I lost everything����*♂️

Here’s the short version:

Bunch of updates
Painted comp muffler satin black
Installed Supremepower 90mm exhaust tips that showed up with paint flaws which is annoying since they’re $400
Oem muffler piping needs to be cut 3” or more so it’s not almost hanging out of the new tips
Installed 2 piece front/rear wave rotors
Software update from bmw
New wheels/tires
Attached Images

Last edited by BlownOne; 11-05-2019 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #17
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Before buying anything I looked at rotor options and had used Platz1 on my c63s with great results so I reached out to them. They have a super nice front and rear set of 2-piece wave rotors for our cars and a gear price at $1,500 for the entire set shipped to your door!

Packaged well upon unboxing and look even better in person! Side by side pics with oem rotors show a drastic appearance upgrade along with a more functional braking capabilities. I opted to remove the dust shields (I usually do this) as it takes away from the lines on the rotors edge. Fronts pop right off with 3 bolts but the rears are way more involved lol. I found out they are tied to the e brake and sit around the axle hub so I decided to trim them with a cutting wheel instead haha.

Got everything back together, went out and re bedded the pads after the coating wore off. They look good and work great, and are a very good option for anyone doing rotors!
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #18
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Rotor pics! Front then rear
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #19
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wheels were a pita to decide on because the 20” comps look so good. After tons of stalking the for sale section I ended up scoring a great deal from a member on a set of 19” Apex PS-7 wheels with re-11r tires that are in like new condition! They just arrived yesterday afternoon and I mounted them late last night. They look even better than the company wheels imo and I couldn’t be happier! Just need to get the lowering springs on to tighten up the fender gap, but that will happen next week along with a bunch of other stuff once my car arrives at EaS!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #20
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Great job on the build! Only thing is that, on your car, the CP wheels just fit so much better! It may be the murdered out look, but I liked that better haha. Keep the apex wheels for the track!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #21
B_davis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

I got excited when I saw the word "build" ... then I read the thread and it's bolt on carbon fiber bits, exhaust tips, and window tint.
Appreciate 2
      11-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #22
wdskukm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 and Model P3D

Enjoying this thread. Continue with the build. Looks great.