GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #331
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Great info!

Mine goes back in tomorrow too.

Something else to think about, on the e46 M3, it has a resonator just on the drivers side front pipe. When you would delete the resonator on the drivers side front pipe (rear shorter bank), the sound becomes "unequalized/unbalanced" with Euro headers. It's as if the resonator "slowed" down the exhaust pulses on the rear bank to allow the front bank to catch up at the H-pipe about a foot downstream.

With that in mind, I wonder what happens if the same concept can be applied to us with just deleting the passenger side secondary cat?
I was actually contemplating trying that out on my car. I already have the secondary cat deleted with the magnaflow resonators in its place. I was thinking of adding one more to just the shorter side pipe so it would have a total of two resonators (or replace it with a longer one) on that side leaving the longer pipe alone.

My car
      11-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #332
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Well, I think if the driver's side can be cut and a 3.0 inch put in it's place for 1 meter, that you can keep the MPE fully in tact. You would probably need to delete the secondary cats though. The stock midpipe is definitely 1 meter up to MPE. Would need to double check if passenger side is 1.36 meters. If anything, I think that the H pipe would need to be cut and a X pipe clamped in - but the resale value of the MPE would tank - cutting up titanium and titanium welders are hard to find. Could always cut the MPE after the H pipe and get high quality sleeved clamps to put it back together without leaks.
Not too worried about cutting the MPE as I was going to do it to install the AA mid, I just wanted to leave the muffler in place as a single exhaust isn't really for me plus I do like the option to control the valves.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #333
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
I might be able to do that.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #334
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Exhaust shop needs to custom make a chamber box for me, they can't seem to bend the pipes for the x-pipe I purchased so the chamber box should do everything I need it to do (mix the exhaust pulse and not really for scavenging effects).

Plan B is to find another exhaust shop.

The only thing I don't like about the exhaust is the 2,000-2,500 truck-ish exhaust note in sport/sport + (like an all stock S55 exhaust), below and after sounds great, smooth, snarls, brassy. Once I can source an x-pipe or chamber box for me, it'll be essentially ideal.

Best of luck RMDZidane, it seems like you or your shop can make those bends with their machines, mine can't so Im stuck with the H-pipe still (for now)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #335
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Exhaust shop needs to custom make a chamber box for me, they can't seem to bend the pipes for the x-pipe I purchased so the chamber box should do everything I need it to do (mix the exhaust pulse and not really for scavenging effects).

The only thing I don't like about the exhaust is the 2,000-2,500 truck-ish exhaust note in sport/sport + (like an all stock S55 exhaust), below and after sounds great, smooth, snarls, brassy. Once I can source an x-pipe or chamber box for me, it'll be essentially ideal.

Best of luck RMDZidane, it seems like you or your shop can make those bends with their machines, mine can't so Im stuck with the H-pipe still (for now)
Delays are the worst. I couldn't make it to my fabricator on Monday due to the snowstorm, dropped it off yesterday and now my fabricator told me he needed more time. Will get back tomorrow. Suspense is killing me!! I'm so anxious to hear it.

Mine is a little different than RMDZ's - I'm merging the 2 pipes before the muffler into a single pipe, then to a considerably bigger muffler to a single exit. He's taking his time to measure the lengths to make sure it's right though, so I definitely appreciate the extra effort he's putting in. Firm believer in the "do it once, do it right" philosophy. Hoping tomorrow blows my ears away.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #336
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
It'll sound different for sure, like smooooth that I can't seem to capture in videos (aside from a truckish sound at small throttles in a 500rpm rev range but thats likely my h-pipe and OE exhaust lol)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #337
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It'll sound different for sure, like smooooth that I can't seem to capture in videos (aside from a truckish sound at small throttles in a 500rpm rev range but thats likely my h-pipe and OE exhaust lol)
I like it, your car sounds so pissed off. The tone also sounds more mechanical like in a German way. Very interesting nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #338
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:

Spool, the chamber is a great idea. Right behind the differential to blend the two pipes will work great I believe.

Good fabricators can cut bends to make the shape that is needed. Mandrel bending machines are REALLY expensive.
I found out when I did this in 2017 that when the exhaust length disparity was 3-7" the note became really unpleasant and flat. But when they were made closer to equal length it all really came together. That's what I'm trying to find the time to solve today and tomorrow with my midpipe design.

BTW, I think my M3 is somewhat cursed. Bad coilpacks, leaky intercooler, and today two nails in my tires.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #339
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Delays are the worst. I couldn't make it to my fabricator on Monday due to the snowstorm, dropped it off yesterday and now my fabricator told me he needed more time. Will get back tomorrow. Suspense is killing me!! I'm so anxious to hear it.

Mine is a little different than RMDZ's - I'm merging the 2 pipes before the muffler into a single pipe, then to a considerably bigger muffler to a single exit. He's taking his time to measure the lengths to make sure it's right though, so I definitely appreciate the extra effort he's putting in. Firm believer in the "do it once, do it right" philosophy. Hoping tomorrow blows my ears away.
nt, are you going to exit the exhaust on the passenger side? I'm looking forward to what you come up with. The bigger muffler will be an improvement I think because it's hard otherwise to tame the rasp. I've been scouring the 'net to look for small resonators/mufflers to help realize my crazy ideas
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #340
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
nt, are you going to exit the exhaust on the passenger side? I'm looking forward to what you come up with. The bigger muffler will be an improvement I think because it's hard otherwise to tame the rasp. I've been scouring the 'net to look for small resonators/mufflers to help realize my crazy ideas
Just got an update from my fabricator! pic attached.

Correct. He extended the passenger side pipe exactly 14 inches and crossed it over to the driver's side. From there, this will enter a Y pipe followed by a U pipe into a Magnaflow sport muffler (he ordered it, I went with his recommendation because I am willing to sacrifice volume for no drone). Finally, single exit out into a 4 inch "JDM fartcan" style tip on the passenger side.

The muffler we chose is roughly 80% the size of the stock muffler, so I'm expecting good results. Currently, we only have my existing Magnaflow 14156 resonators before the muffler, but we are prepared to add a second set of resonators if we get any undesirable characteristics. Single exits can get pretty loud, so we'll see how this goes before putting the second resonators in, or switching to a louder muffler if it's too quiet.

I will be picking up the car tomorrow, and I don't think I will be sleeping much tonight
Attached Images

Last edited by ntg44; 11-13-2019 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #341
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
That's going to sound epic!!! The "curve" that changed the S55 exhaust lol!
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3940.50
      11-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #342
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's going to sound epic!!! The "curve" that changed the S55 exhaust lol!
Let's hope so! If this doesn't sound anything less than amazing, I'm going to feel seriously defeated haha. Regardless, there is a silver lining to all this.

In a matter of 2 weeks, between spool twice, RMDZ, and me, we've come up with 3 legitimately different exhaust layouts to the standard M3/4/2C. Previously, it was either stock, a louder and crappier version of stock, or AA mid (again, props to AA for doing something different). I believe mine will sound significantly different than what we've heard thus far, so let's get some more members to share their ideas to push this forward! We can't all try everything because we're not all endless money pits, but every little iteration or contribution helps, and we can all learn from each other. The answer for equalized dual exit is out there - someone just needs to take everything we've learned so far and get us there. Although spool twice is definitely closest.

Not that I care, I'm embracing my single fartcan. Looking forward to sharing my opinion of the end result with everyone.
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3940.50
      11-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #343
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Someone has any good photoshop skills? Wonder how this car would look like with 2 tips as a center exit exhaust ala GT3. I’m pretty confident I can build a diffuser for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #344
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Rather than the exhaust sound, I like hearing engine note itself (which is what ASD synthesizes if not disabled). However the issue is it's a bit too quiet. Adding a loud exhaust doesn't seem to improve it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #345
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Let's hope so! If this doesn't sound anything less than amazing, I'm going to feel seriously defeated haha. Regardless, there is a silver lining to all this.

In a matter of 2 weeks, between spool twice, RMDZ, and me, we've come up with 3 legitimately different exhaust layouts to the standard M3/4/2C. Previously, it was either stock, a louder and crappier version of stock, or AA mid (again, props to AA for doing something different). I believe mine will sound significantly different than what we've heard thus far, so let's get some more members to share their ideas to push this forward! We can't all try everything because we're not all endless money pits, but every little iteration or contribution helps, and we can all learn from each other. The answer for equalized dual exit is out there - someone just needs to take everything we've learned so far and get us there. Although spool twice is definitely closest.

Not that I care, I'm embracing my single fartcan. Looking forward to sharing my opinion of the end result with everyone.
I'm going to build a complete OEM style aftermarket exhaust after I'm finished seeing what I can do with the stock muffler. I already got the plans ready and know exactly how it's going to be routed. The only variable is when I'll want to start that project.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #346
jimbob123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82 m4

Quote:
have a look at aero exhaust resonators/mufflers,ive used these in the past-very compact and excellent quality.
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      11-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #347
MR_X
Old guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Too fat of an azz IMO, might work for the shapeless coupe though
Have you seen the ass on a GT3RS? lol
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #348
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_X View Post
Someone has any good photoshop skills? Wonder how this car would look like with 2 tips as a center exit exhaust ala GT3. I’m pretty confident I can build a diffuser for it.
The foot motion trunk release is going to LOVE a center exit

Pisses me off enough just getting underneath the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #349
MR_X
Old guy
Rep

Quote:

That's a feature I don't use. I actually forget that is there. I think when I do think about it, it is a bit cumbersome because my hands are way too full and my balance is affected when I go to use it. I do get your point though.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #350
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:

I noticed on mine to get that feature to work reliably I kick more on the driver side. If I do it right in the center, it only works some times. My car is weird.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #351
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXiMUS View Post
I noticed on mine to get that feature to work reliably I kick more on the driver side. If I do it right in the center, it only works some times. My car is weird.
I'd rather not have the feature at all. It only opens when I don't want it to. I should look into disabling it.

I'm waiting patiently to hear from my fabricator with some good news. Today is the slowest day ever haha. So much anticipation. Exhaust should be done today, but I'd rather it be earlier than later obviously.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #352
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, I think if the driver's side can be cut and a 3.0 inch put in it's place for 1 meter, that you can keep the MPE fully in tact. You would probably need to delete the secondary cats though. The stock midpipe is definitely 1 meter up to MPE. Would need to double check if passenger side is 1.36 meters. If anything, I think that the H pipe would need to be cut and a X pipe clamped in - but the resale value of the MPE would tank - cutting up titanium and titanium welders are hard to find. Could always cut the MPE after the H pipe and get high quality sleeved clamps to put it back together without leaks.
Can you clarify?

Lets say before the OE crossover you simply place a 3" x 1 meter pipe on the longer side, is that sufficient?

Or does it have to be as follows:
3" x 1 meter + 2.5" x .36 meter on short pipes
3" x 1 meter on long pipes
The crossover pipes

What about the pipe length prior to that section? Like the length leading back to downpipes?
Appreciate 0