Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-29-2019, 04:51 PM   #23
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post
Here's an M4 GT4 race car with an Eisenmann X-pipe, resonators on the back and sounds great

The point is; if you don't join the midpipes in an X or collector and the exhaust doesn't pass through resonators with the valves open like most aftermarket systems, they'll never sound good and will retain the farty and raspy sound.

That does sound quite good.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #24
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Here's a stationary video clip valves open

Definitely sounds different, smoother overall but now the real test is to rev that baby higher to see how it sounds. Good job so far.

I guess I'm the minority here but I really love the way the S55 sounds especially in ZCP/CS form.
Appreciate 3
      09-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #25
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXiMUS View Post
Quote:

Definitely sounds different, smoother overall but now the real test is to rev that baby higher to see how it sounds. Good job so far.

I guess I'm the minority here but I really love the way the S55 sounds especially in ZCP/CS form.
Agreed. I feel like the revs are low but it doesn't sound different. I love my S55 with MPE on my CS.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #26
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrae26 View Post
Agreed. I feel like the revs are low but it doesn't sound different. I love my S55 with MPE on my CS.
Keep in mind this exhaust is catless and if you fit catless downpipes and remove the secondary cats with the MPE, it sounds absolutely dreadful. The MPE doesn't make power either and this exhaust makes 35hp. The MPE advantage is lighter weight as the stock rear muffler is pretty heavy and I'd think the MPE would also sound good with this resonated midpipe.
Appreciate 1
Andrae26851.00
      09-29-2019, 09:45 PM   #27
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrae26 View Post
Keep in mind this exhaust is catless and if you fit catless downpipes and remove the secondary cats with the MPE, it sounds absolutely dreadful. The MPE doesn't make power either and this exhaust makes 35hp. The MPE advantage is lighter weight as the stock rear muffler is pretty heavy and I'd think the MPE would also sound good with this resonated midpipe.
I would definitely be interested in adding this to the MPE. My MPE is fully stock no modifications. I've heard some horrible ones with the cats removed. If you get the chance do some more videos with some drive byes.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 10:22 PM   #28
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Thanks for sharing video. Sounds decent at best for downpipes but usually DP makes the S55 sound even worse. Still doesnt sound better than AA midpipe but to each their own.. you got a dyno before and after showing the 35hp gains or where did you get that?
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2019, 06:18 AM   #29
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
Would like to see the dyno graph for that. Very interested in this. An actual drive by of the exhaust would be nice also. Also, what are the dimensions of the resonators?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #30
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

So you removed the H pipe (crossover) completely? or you made perforations under where you welded in the plate?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:09 PM   #31
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
BINGO!
You are correct sir. I did that with an old F80 M3 I had in 2016. I just bought another one and I'm on the path to 'fixing' the sound my new to me 2016 M3.
BMW also shot themselves in the foot with the placement of the secondary cats, because they aren't equal distance from the primary cats, then on to the resonator where all that unequal horseshit blatty noise gets to mix together so everything on the F80 is garbage sound wise. And every exhaust maker hasn't ever come up with a solution except to make it louder.
I can't wait for a single turbo kit to come out so I can get rid of all that crap....or make one myself

I'll be done with my F80 sound project later this week, and I'll post pics/video
100% agreed, especially the bolded parts. Quality over quantity hasn't been an aftermarket S55 forte yet, everything just makes that boxy/buzzy sound louder, or louder with less rasp, but still the buzzy/boxy character. Strange after being on the market since 2015 that no one has figured out the "easy" fix is simply equalizing the lengths to equalize the exhaust pulses merging with each other from both banks.

Until someone fabricates equal-length downpipes or equal-length mid-pipes prior to both banks merging, its like beating a dead horse and chasing after something that isn't going to happen. The mid pipes currently on the market only merge two unequal-length exhaust pulses, cancelling raspy, but keeping that still buzzy/boxy sounding nature.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #32
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

It smooths the sound out, but it’s not a desirable tone.
      10-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #33
dtmwerksm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 Mineral White/Shakir

Congrats, now it sounds like a Honda with a fart can.
2003 BMW M3 — Carbon Black on Black, 6MT - Sold
1995 BMW M3 Coupe — Cosmos Black on Black - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #34
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Here's an M4 GT4 race car with an Eisenmann X-pipe, resonators on the back and sounds great

The point is; if you don't join the midpipes in an X or collector and the exhaust doesn't pass through resonators with the valves open like most aftermarket systems, they'll never sound good and will retain the farty and raspy sound.

I dont agree. I made my own exhaust which completely isolates each side. I have one resonator on each side midway on the exhaust, along with small vibrant mufflers at the end. No fart, no rasp at all
M3anPower175.50
      10-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #35
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

lol just buy a new car if your so unsatisfied with the sound..

does my f80 with remus+aa+tune sound a little buzzy; popcorny; and like late stage emphysema patient. sure; sometimes it sounds pretty good. sometimes the burbles sound amazing; sometimes popcorn. sometime when accelerating to to 5k rpm sound menacing; other times sounds muted and a large fart at upshift lol

if a gt350 drives next to me; the lightbulb always goes off; why didn't I just get that.

sound is very important to me; probably a lot more than even most memebers on this fourm. but there are many other factors to the car.

tbh that exhaust clip sounds stock; even with my full exahust setup youll never truly change its character. and im okay with that. most people probably hate your exhaust anyway
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #36
alfanatix
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
The S55 M3/M4 engine sounds farty and raspy for 2 reasons. The farty V6 twin exhaust sound is caused by the exhaust manifold split with twin turbos and isolated outlets and the 2 midpipes needs to be joined into 1 to blend out the farty V6 note and this is what AA etc do with the single midpipe.

The raspiness is caused by stock resonator being too small and not packed with sound deadening so it's an open chamber resonator with an H pipe that emphasises raspiness. To get rid of the raspiness you "must" use perforated tube resonators packed with sound deadening preferably stainless wool as it doesn't burn out like fibreglass.

With catless downpipes, you need 4 12" resonators 4" diameter in the midpipe to control noise with the valves open and create a smooth rasp free note. The reason all the aftermarket exhausts sound nearly as bad as stock but louder, is they don't use resonators or the resonators they use are too small and not packed with effective sound deadening material.

This setup sounds magic with catless downpipes and stock rear muffler but unfortunately it seems that everyone is trying to get a decent note out of the S55 exhaust with straight un-resonated pipe and it's impossible! This is simply "old school" exhaust technology I've used to make V8's sound great that works just the same on the S55 engine as I expected.
Why i cant see the picture?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #37
depaulhifi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
100% agreed, especially the bolded parts. Quality over quantity hasn't been an aftermarket S55 forte yet, everything just makes that boxy/buzzy sound louder, or louder with less rasp, but still the buzzy/boxy character. Strange after being on the market since 2015 that no one has figured out the "easy" fix is simply equalizing the lengths to equalize the exhaust pulses merging with each other from both banks.

Until someone fabricates equal-length downpipes or equal-length mid-pipes prior to both banks merging, its like beating a dead horse and chasing after something that isn't going to happen. The mid pipes currently on the market only merge two unequal-length exhaust pulses, cancelling raspy, but keeping that still buzzy/boxy sounding nature.
Call me a cynic, but if it were really just as "easy" a fix as equal length downpipes and midpipes, I'm pretty sure the big-ticket exhaust manufacturers like Akra, Eisenmann, et al would have built a system around it ages ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #38
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB

I have had multiple exhaust set ups on this car, from the x-pipe and 2 magna flow set up, to the the AA mid pipe, to the full AA pipe, to the AA mid to the comp exhaust, to the AA mid pipe with Eisemman rear. I recently had just the dinnan rear and it sounds great. I wanted more volume and I replaced the stock secondary resonators with the small magna flow race mufflers keeping the stock H-pipe resonator and wow the car is absolutely sounding amazing. I'll post a clip later, but from all the other set ups I would agree that having the correct amount of resonators and material does work wonders on the rasp.

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #39
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB

Also that being said the tone of my exhaust it much different than yours.

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #40
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Meh, to each his own. I happen to enjoy the sound of my exhaust setup with AA mid. It doesn't sound nearly as bad as you try to make it seem.
      10-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #41
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayamFSU View Post
I have had multiple exhaust set ups on this car, from the x-pipe and 2 magna flow set up, to the the AA mid pipe, to the full AA pipe, to the AA mid to the comp exhaust, to the AA mid pipe with Eisemman rear. I recently had just the dinnan rear and it sounds great. I wanted more volume and I replaced the stock secondary resonators with the small magna flow race mufflers keeping the stock H-pipe resonator and wow the car is absolutely sounding amazing. I'll post a clip later, but from all the other set ups I would agree that having the correct amount of resonators and material does work wonders on the rasp.
Let me hear it
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #42
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by depaulhifi View Post
Call me a cynic, but if it were really just as "easy" a fix as equal length downpipes and midpipes, I'm pretty sure the big-ticket exhaust manufacturers like Akra, Eisenmann, et al would have built a system around it ages ago.
There is a lack of room for packaging the piping without resorting to unusual methods unfortunately. But yeah, the solution is "simply" equalizing the piping between both banks prior to them merging, it will allow for a smoother tone similar if not the same as the n54.

It doesn't just apply to the S55 though, it pretty much pertains to any engine/exhaust configuration, with other factors that change the character of the "tone" (overlap induced staccato-like sound etc etc). Some examples:

Ever wondered why a 5.0L in a ford F150 sounds different and more "truckish" then a 5.0L in a Mustang? Its because the f150 has unequal-length downpipes that merge on the passenger side, making the drivers side downpipe longer, and not allowing for equally spaced pulses. Or even why the 3.7L in the f150 sounds different than the 3.7L in the Mustang V6.

Or even a 1995 Nissan Maxima(prior cars eons ago for me), the OE downpipes were equal-length (smoother sounding, think n54 as an example), but aftermarket downpipes were unequal in length with the front bank longer than the rear bank, which changed the sound to a more S55-like, obviously not the exact same sound, but just an example of how important it is for sound quality of equalized pulses on both banks.

Again there are other factors that contribute to sound, however this is the piece where I would start at that will completely change the overall character of the sound quality.

Last edited by spool twice; 10-02-2019 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #43
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayamFSU View Post
Please do post a clip!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #44
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
And really? You're going to compare a v8 sound to the s55? Let me tell you man.. you can do a hack job and just chop off any rear muffler on a V8 car to hear sounds that you will never, ever hear from our beloved S55.
This, times a zillion
Appreciate 0