European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #89
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mpower.nick View Post
Hey can you give me an estimate on how loud this is compared to stock with valves unplugged? Thanks I think this may be one of the best systems for the money.
Sure. Compared to stock:

Cold start: stupid. If you live close to your neighbors and don't have a long driveway, sooner or later you're going to piss someone off. I live far away enough from my neighbors for this not to bother them, but if you have a typical cramped suburban or city lot and park close to the street, I highly highly recommend a valve controller of some sort. CGPrecision one should suffice.

Idling/regular driving: Once the car is warmed up after 1-2 minutes, this mod is so docile you won't even notice it. I believe I remember the car being quieter than stock when not going all out. Another benefit for manual transmission drivers - if you've run valves open, you may have noticed the shifter would vibrate around cruising RPMs, between 1500-2500. After doing cat/resonator swap, this vibration went away completely for me. Obviously the resonators are doing their job here.

Full throttle: Louder, but barely. The difference is tone here. Although technically the note is louder vs. stock with unplugged valves, most of the snarl/rasp is gone, so you're losing some volume there. But the trade off is a nice, smooth tone that doesn't make you cringe when you floor it next to a concrete highway divider for example.

That's about the most detailed I can explain it. I try my best to objectively review stuff like this, because it doesn't help if I exaggerate only for someone to try it and completely disagree. But my goals were simple. I wanted to eliminate as much rasp as I could, and if I got more volume out of it, that would be a bonus. It was either AA mid or this for me, and I thought this would be the safer option, given the mixed reviews on AA mid fitment. As long as you're not going into this expecting the world from 2 resonators, most people who perform this mod will be pleasantly surprised in my opinion.
It feels like an OEM-level mod, especially with stock valve function or a valve controller.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #90
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
I'm the member that spool twice is referencing. I fabricated an exhaust over two years ago that creates the 'correct' sound for an I6 engine. That first M3 I had got sold and I took the exhaust off. I dug it out when I bought another M3 last month and my initial exhaust attempt didn't sound right. I had to make the passenger side pipe longer so that's what I did. I'll put up a video tomorrow that shows it's sound characteristics. I'm still tweaking the layout I want (single dual-tip exit right now), but it now sounds good. I'm talking to an exhaust manufacturer here in the L.A area that may be able to produce it for me in quantity.
I'm doing this because the aftermarket with regard to exhausts for this M3 is f'ing sad. I think the state of exhaust choices for F80 M3 enthusiasts shows that all the companies don't want to do any real R&D and are just chasing $'s
I'm a big I6 enthusiast and have owned MKIV Supras, 335i's, old BMW 2800cs's, and a Dodge 3500 w/Cummins. I've even owned an old Ford truck with a 300ci I6 from way back in the 1970's and a BMW Bavaria (does anyone even know those ever existed?). I'm one of the few people that doesn't like the v8 sound. I prefer an Inline six, or pretty much any engine that is naturally balanced...... I just thought an exhaust company would've figured out why their exhaust sounds so bad, or even that there was an issue with the S55 by now....because I have

In my over 4 years with my f8x, having heard probably 20 custom setups ranging from resonator this, cat that, x pipe this, h pipe that etc. and all the other bolt on setups here, this is the best custom exhaust I've ever heard. Sound completely different than any other custom exhaust so far. Please post more videos.
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      10-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #91
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

Hey thanks for the feedback. In this initial video I used an old Pixel phone attached to a bumper mount and drove around my neighborhood at low speeds, ranging from idle to about ~3k rpm.
I'll make time as soon as I can for a full throttle pass as well as a couple of cruising passes. As far as I can tell the exhaust produces a howl at full boost similar to single turbo I6's I've come across
I'm making constant development changes so that takes my free time
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #92
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Good stuff, do you have a photo of the system as a whole? like an underbody shot or one of the system laid out?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #93
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
In my over 4 years with my f8x, having heard probably 20 custom setups ranging from resonator this, cat that, x pipe this, h pipe that etc. and all the other bolt on setups here, this is the best custom exhaust I've ever heard. Sound completely different than any other custom exhaust so far. Please post more videos.
Yeah, in some parts of the video you can hear some hints of 2JZ/RB26 tones which I think are the best sounding straight 6s around.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #94
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks for the feedback. In this initial video I used an old Pixel phone attached to a bumper mount and drove around my neighborhood at low speeds, ranging from idle to about ~3k rpm.
I'll make time as soon as I can for a full throttle pass as well as a couple of cruising passes. As far as I can tell the exhaust produces a howl at full boost similar to single turbo I6's I've come across
I'm making constant development changes so that takes my free time

Ok. Since it's possible, you've inspired me. Question though.

When you did your measurements for the length of the exhaust pipes, did you include the exhaust manifolds, or start measuring from the downpipes? Reason I ask is because if I can just pick up a spare set of stock downpipes and tell a fabricator to equalize the length according to the difference of the dp length before merging, that would probably make their job a lot easier than getting underneath the car to measure inaccurately.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #95
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Ok. Since it's possible, you've inspired me. Question though.

When you did your measurements for the length of the exhaust pipes, did you include the exhaust manifolds, or start measuring from the downpipes? Reason I ask is because if I can just pick up a spare set of stock downpipes and tell a fabricator to equalize the length according to the difference of the dp length before merging, that would probably make their job a lot easier than getting underneath the car to measure inaccurately.
I measured from each turbo's turbine side outlet. I think the difference in length between the downpipes is ~13-15in. I tried to avg. it out by measuring from different points on the circumference of the pipes...you'd have good luck getting the stock dp's off the car to measure from.
I can get under there and get some pictures later

The reason I'm still working on my design is because there is some resonance at 2k rpms and a hint of rasp at 5k rpms if the car isn't really hot. I'll try to make those two annoyances go away
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i

Last edited by RMDZidane; 10-21-2019 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
ntg442887.50
      10-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #96
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
I measured from each turbo's turbine side outlet. I think the difference in length between the downpipes is ~13-15in. I tried to avg. it out by measuring from different points on the circumference of the pipes...you'd have good luck getting the stock dp's off the car to measure from.
I can get under there and get some pictures later

The reason I'm still working on my design is because there is some resonance at 2k rpms and a hint of rasp at 5k rpms if the car isn't really hot. I'll try to make those two annoyances go away
I'm sure it's a lot of trial and error testing, but at least you recreated some hope for the S55 bubble gut fart sounds. Now if only a manufacturer would create these equal length downpipes...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #97
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
And tbh, best S55 sound is a stock Comp car. And I actually really like that bit of rasp as it reminds of the S54... Every other aftermarket variation makes it worse, imho.
I agree 100%. So far my stock exhaust with the valves open 100% of the times sounds pretty good. The issue then becomes when we add downpipes. That rasp becomes very apparent then. There is only one exhaust that has my attention but I haven't seen much about it. I like the Active Autowerks Signature exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #98
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
I'm the member that spool twice is referencing. I fabricated an exhaust over two years ago that creates the 'correct' sound for an I6 engine. That first M3 I had got sold and I took the exhaust off. I dug it out when I bought another M3 last month and my initial exhaust attempt didn't sound right. I had to make the passenger side pipe longer so that's what I did. I'll put up a video tomorrow that shows it's sound characteristics. I'm still tweaking the layout I want (single dual-tip exit right now), but it now sounds good. I'm talking to an exhaust manufacturer here in the L.A area that may be able to produce it for me in quantity.
I'm doing this because the aftermarket with regard to exhausts for this M3 is f'ing sad. I think the state of exhaust choices for F80 M3 enthusiasts shows that all the companies don't want to do any real R&D and are just chasing $'s
I'm a big I6 enthusiast and have owned MKIV Supras, 335i's, old BMW 2800cs's, and a Dodge 3500 w/Cummins. I've even owned an old Ford truck with a 300ci I6 from way back in the 1970's and a BMW Bavaria (does anyone even know those ever existed?). I'm one of the few people that doesn't like the v8 sound. I prefer an Inline six, or pretty much any engine that is naturally balanced...... I just thought an exhaust company would've figured out why their exhaust sounds so bad, or even that there was an issue with the S55 by now....because I have

I wonder what this would sound like if you had aftermarket downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #99
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Finally, the S55 can sound like a traditional i6 :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #100
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_X View Post
I wonder what this would sound like if you had aftermarket downpipes.
I'm probably going to find out. I just don't really like tampering with emissions. My next idea is to remove the rear muffler to get a rough estimation of how the exhaust would sound with open valves.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #101
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Finally, the S55 can sound like a traditional i6 :-)
Yes!
It's a bummer that the f80 M3 sounds so bad because it's performance is outstanding.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #102
///Mani
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Sure. Compared to stock:

Cold start: stupid. If you live close to your neighbors and don't have a long driveway, sooner or later you're going to piss someone off. I live far away enough from my neighbors for this not to bother them, but if you have a typical cramped suburban or city lot and park close to the street, I highly highly recommend a valve controller of some sort. CGPrecision one should suffice.

Idling/regular driving: Once the car is warmed up after 1-2 minutes, this mod is so docile you won't even notice it. I believe I remember the car being quieter than stock when not going all out. Another benefit for manual transmission drivers - if you've run valves open, you may have noticed the shifter would vibrate around cruising RPMs, between 1500-2500. After doing cat/resonator swap, this vibration went away completely for me. Obviously the resonators are doing their job here.

Full throttle: Louder, but barely. The difference is tone here. Although technically the note is louder vs. stock with unplugged valves, most of the snarl/rasp is gone, so you're losing some volume there. But the trade off is a nice, smooth tone that doesn't make you cringe when you floor it next to a concrete highway divider for example.

That's about the most detailed I can explain it. I try my best to objectively review stuff like this, because it doesn't help if I exaggerate only for someone to try it and completely disagree. But my goals were simple. I wanted to eliminate as much rasp as I could, and if I got more volume out of it, that would be a bonus. It was either AA mid or this for me, and I thought this would be the safer option, given the mixed reviews on AA mid fitment. As long as you're not going into this expecting the world from 2 resonators, most people who perform this mod will be pleasantly surprised in my opinion.
It feels like an OEM-level mod, especially with stock valve function or a valve controller.
I think this sounds great and exactly what I am looking for. Thanks a lot for your review. I am curious have you considered pairing it with an x-pipe?
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      10-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #103
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mpower.nick View Post
I think this sounds great and exactly what I am looking for. Thanks a lot for your review. I am curious have you considered pairing it with an x-pipe?
No, and most likely never will. I fail to hear the difference on any exhaust videos. Hell, the amateur iPhone video of my resonators sounds better than anything I've ever heard for this car period. But if for some reason I keep my car long enough, next exhaust mod is definitely the equal length matching shown above.

I've been trying to find a case for a RB26 in my life. But I just don't really find it practical or realistic to own a car with one in it. However, from what I just heard, that's damn close, and I'd be glad to own a modern car that was even 60% of the RB's tone. It's seriously making me consider removing my M3 for sale listing haha. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #104
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No, and most likely never will. I fail to hear the difference on any exhaust videos. Hell, the amateur iPhone video of my resonators sounds better than anything I've ever heard for this car period. But if for some reason I keep my car long enough, next exhaust mod is definitely the equal length matching shown above.

I've been trying to find a case for a RB26 in my life. But I just don't really find it practical or realistic to own a car with one in it. However, from what I just heard, that's damn close, and I'd be glad to own a modern car that was even 60% of the RB's tone. It's seriously making me consider removing my M3 for sale listing haha. We'll see.
I understand how you feel about RB26's. I had an R32 Skyline GT-R for a little while a few years ago. I purchased a Mine's front pipe for that car immediately because it didn't sound great with the stock configuration either I liked that car, but they're just so ancient at this point that there is no comparison with the modern characteristics our F80s have. That was the inspiration for my exhaust work on my M3. I'm trying to replicate the RB26 'melody' because it has the same turbo layout, so I think it can be done. That's what I'm trying to work towards
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #105
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand how you feel about RB26's. I had an R32 Skyline GT-R for a little while a few years ago. I purchased a Mine's front pipe for that car immediately because it didn't sound great with the stock configuration either I liked that car, but they're just so ancient at this point that there is no comparison with the modern characteristics our F80s have. That was the inspiration for my exhaust work on my M3. I'm trying to replicate the RB26 'melody' because it has the same turbo layout, so I think it can be done. That's what I'm trying to work towards
I'm 100% serious when I say you should start a Kickstarter for this project. I'd put 100% down and I'm sure many others would too. Even if you only make 20-30 of these people would wait for it. Could probably charge whatever you wanted too haha. I'm happy to be first in line, money in hand.
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3940.50
      10-21-2019, 09:21 PM   #106
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Quote:
I'm 100% serious when I say you should start a Kickstarter for this project. I'd put 100% down and I'm sure many others would too. Even if you only make 20-30 of these people would wait for it. Could probably charge whatever you wanted too haha. I'm happy to be first in line, money in hand.
2nd in line. Cash ready.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #107
///Mani
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
You also have a buyer in me!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 11:10 PM   #108
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Hey thanks guys. I appreciate it. I can fund a production run if/when I get there. I don't want to do anything until it sounds the way I want it and has the layout that I want. I'm in contact with two different exhaust manufacturers about making it, but I'm still in prototype/ R&D area with regards to a finished product.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      10-22-2019, 12:07 AM   #109
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Hey thanks guys. I appreciate it. I can fund a production run if/when I get there. I don't want to do anything until it sounds the way I want it and has the layout that I want. I'm in contact with two different exhaust manufacturers about making it, but I'm still in prototype/ R&D area with regards to a finished product.
Fantastic, we should do a bimmerpost member collaboration, we would all vote for exhaust tip designs before it goes to production.

Can't believe none of the major exhaust manufacturers could figure it out...and we have some heavy hitters too like Eisenmann, Akrapovich, Remus ect.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #110
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I did a quick mockup of the AWE track exhaust with your ideas in place. Please ignore my crappy MS Paint skills, but here's a summary of it:

- Removed X pipe near beginning of the system so the flow stays separated.
- Removed passenger side exhaust outlet and routed extra piping from passenger side to driver's side to make up for the front downpipe/driver's side exhaust being longer.
- Merged driver and passenger side into a 2 x 2.5 inlet and single exit muffler.

- Can you confirm that this is the general idea of your solution? Am I on the right track here?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0