Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Spun Crank Hub with BM3

Hi,

I spun my crank hub last night. I was wondering if anyone that has run BM3 has been able to successfully warranty it. Im going to put it back to stock shortly. Just need to figure out if I can get away with flashing it back to stock or if I would need to get new ecu? Or maybe there is another alternative..

If anyone has similar stories feel free to share. Need as much info as I can get.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriyos_F82 View Post
Hi,

I spun my crank hub last night. I was wondering if anyone that has run BM3 has been able to successfully warranty it. Im going to put it back to stock shortly. Just need to figure out if I can get away with flashing it back to stock or if I would need to get new ecu? Or maybe there is another alternative..

If anyone has similar stories feel free to share. Need as much info as I can get.
Well you were aware of the risks so just pay for the repair out of pocket. The dealer will know the car had a tune even if you put in a new ECU.
      10-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
Well you were aware of the risks so just pay for the repair out of pocket. The dealer will know the car had a tune even if you put in a new ECU.
Oh I was def aware. But there are people who have done this and got away with it thru warranty. Might as well give it my best shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Oh I was def aware. But there are people who have done this and got away with it thru warranty. Might as well give it my best shot.
I just watched a youtube video of a kid who did this exact same thing and admitted to it on camera. BMW covered the repair. Hopefully they don't find his video and send him a fat bill for warranty fraud. Daddy wouldn't be too happy.

No guarantees, but I wouldn't be public about it if you get lucky.
Appreciate 2
minn1913965.50
      10-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
Jojipoji
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/15 gtr

What’s mods? Dct manual?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #6
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
I just watched a youtube video of a kid who did this exact same thing and admitted to it on camera. BMW covered the repair. Hopefully they don't find his video and send him a fat bill for warranty fraud. Daddy wouldn't be too happy.

No guarantees, but I wouldn't be public about it if you get lucky.
I saw that video as well. By the looks of it the dealer did it as a courtesy for him. His car had very little miles. I know some master techs at BMW but its not up to them to approve the warranty for a sch
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #7
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Nothing crazy, just downpipes and full E.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

Just my .02 but why do some people expect anyone but themselves to pay the price for a risk that they took with a lucid mind? When BMW covers this "as a courtesy" or because you commit fraud, then the rest of us pay the price later. I get it, spread out over many cars, it doesn't amount to much, but nonetheless, it gets passed to the next consumer.

Values systems in general are lacking. I hope the dealer tells you to go f yourself.
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11403.00
NSX2M41286.50
      10-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #9
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCFP View Post
Just my .02 but why do some people expect anyone but themselves to pay the price for a risk that they took with a lucid mind? When BMW covers this "as a courtesy" or because you commit fraud, then the rest of us pay the price later. I get it, spread out over many cars, it doesn't amount to much, but nonetheless, it gets passed to the next consumer.

Values systems in general are lacking. I hope the dealer tells you to go f yourself.

I appreciate the feedback regardless of the response. I am willing to pay for it out of pocket, but like everyone else in here, we would all try to get away with it thru warranty if possible.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the feedback regardless of the response. I am willing to pay for it out of pocket, but like everyone else in here, we would all try to get away with it thru warranty if possible.
I wouldn't. It's stealing. Why is stealing from a huge corporation different than stealing from your neighbor? If the SA knows the whole story and allows you to warranty it, so be it, but if you lie or conceal the truth, you're stealing. I'm not a goody two shoes, but if take a risk, I either win or lose. If I lose, I pay. If I win, I collect. Assess the risk, live with the outcome.

I know you're going to do what you want, but please don't state that "everyone" would try to commit fraud. They wouldn't.
Appreciate 4
nioh_lbbm21716.50
SYT_Shadow11403.00
      10-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I wouldn't. It's stealing. Why is stealing from a huge corporation different than stealing from your neighbor? If the SA knows the whole story and allows you to warranty it, so be it, but if you lie or conceal the truth, you're stealing. I'm not a goody two shoes, but if take a risk, I either win or lose. If I lose, I pay. If I win, I collect. Assess the risk, live with the outcome.

I know you're going to do what you want, but please don't state that "everyone" would try to commit fraud. They wouldn't.

You have a point, I shouldn't of been so vague. And I don't much see it as fraud as this is a manufactures defect that happens even to stock cars that BMW will not claim responsibility for. Just my opinion. Again appreciate all feedback, even the negativity.
Appreciate 4
      10-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #12
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:

Well said. It's like taking the bus but not paying the fare because it's going past your stop anyway.

In my practice I get asked everyday to commit insurance fraud. Some patients say that their previous dentist just billed their insurance and took what the insurance company paid. That is 100% fraud, and if a doctor is willing to rip off the insurance company, how good is the treatment that they are providing. I have fired staff for telling a patient that we can do that kind of billing.
SMGCFP583.00
      10-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have a point, I shouldn't of been so vague. And I don't much see it as fraud as this is a manufactures defect that happens even to stock cars that BMW will not claim responsibility for. Just my opinion. Again appreciate all feedback, even the negativity.
Look, you spin the hub, BMW should pay. Defect. However, when you mod, you know you void aspects of the warranty. You knew it, you did it, live with it. Or do what you want. I don't personally care, it just offends me when people assume they know and understand other people's values. Just because "everyone does it", doesn't make it right. Justify it if you must.

And I get that the justification is that the car would've broke perhaps even if you didn't mod. And, I'm not being negative. I'm being truthful.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #14
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Look, you spin the hub, BMW should pay. Defect. However, when you mod, you know you void aspects of the warranty. You knew it, you did it, live with it. Or do what you want. I don't personally care, it just offends me when people assume they know and understand other people's values. Just because "everyone does it", doesn't make it right. Justify it if you must.

And I get that the justification is that the car would've broke perhaps even if you didn't mod. And, I'm not being negative. I'm being truthful.
I understand where you are coming from and as previously stated I should not have been vague and say everyone. And if it matters the service adviser working on my car thru warranty will know the full details. But at the end of the day I am fully prepared to pay the price and live with my actions. Your values are clearly different and this is not something you would do. I however will try to get around paying if I can. And truthfully I appreciate the honesty cause that's just how it is. No hard feelings whatsoever.
Appreciate 2
SMGCFP583.00
AlterZgo1537.50
      10-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
Evren
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Coupe

It was stage 2 i think. Right?
And you didnt change anything on your engine before stage2 mod?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:27 AM   #16
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evren View Post
It was stage 2 i think. Right?
And you didnt change anything on your engine before stage2 mod?
No engine mods. Only downpipes and a stage 2 tune
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #17
Evren
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Coupe

Quote:
No engine mods. Only downpipes and a stage 2 tune
I see. I am really sad.

I wish you enforced the crank hub with vargas turbo part or changed the new strongest aftermarket crank hub. There are some solutions on the internet and this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #18
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evren View Post
I see. I am really sad.

I wish you enforced the crank hub with vargas turbo part or changed the new strongest aftermarket crank hub. There are some solutions on the internet and this forum.

I was not planning on keeping the car past spring. Hence I did not reinforce it. Lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #19
Modified_f80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 going G80 2016 Dodge scat

How did it happened? Were you cruising when it happened? Or the day after a spirited drive? Would you sharing?
2014 Audi S4
2004 Built Subaru WRX with GT35r rotated manifold 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #20
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

^^^ yeah. All those questions, and the transmission question that someone already asked. DCT or manual?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #21
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
^^^ yeah. All those questions, and the transmission question that someone already asked. DCT or manual?
DCT.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #22
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Did it happen in kick down? Did you flash the trans?
Appreciate 0