BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #155
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post
This.

The number of failed crank hubs is likely very low to the overall total F80/F82 sold so they choose to repair individual cases as they come up which is a business decision. BMW AG is probably aware that the crank hub is close to threshold on the stock tune but they still choose to repair on a per need basis. I'm fine with this and if you spin it in stock form you are guaranteed a warranty repair. What I don't understand is tuning this engine knowing that this is a potential failure point that could be catastrophic which will very likely not be warranty covered. It's like walking around licking door handles, one of them is bound to be no bueno.

OP I hope you come out of this unscathed or at least as little as possible.

Good luck
It's not ok when a failure outside of warranty isn't covered. If they offered a 100k warranty like the koreans, i wonder if things would change?
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #156
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
It's not ok when a failure outside of warranty isn't covered. If they offered a 100k warranty like the koreans, i wonder if things would change?
I agree however if you haven't spun it in 80,000 kms or 4 years worth of driving it is very likely yours is not part of the small subset that would have failed and we still don't know how BMW will handle occurrences of stock cars whose crank hub failed past warranty and detonated the engine.
      11-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #157
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post
I agree however if you haven't spun it in 80,000 kms or 4 years worth of driving it is very likely yours is not part of the small subset that would have failed and we still don't know how BMW will handle occurrences of stock cars whose crank hub failed past warranty and detonated the engine.
I disagree. It's a design issue, so you can't say the part isn't likely to fail. You just never know if or when it will happen. Just like past warranty extensions on fuel pumps, water pumps, injectors, etc. BMW should extend the warranty on the crank hub and own up to the design flaw. Otherwise, they can just wait on the class action lawsuit in 5-10 years. They just aren't as worried about it because the S55 isn't a high production motor like the N54.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 01:25 AM   #158
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

I'd be surprised if bmw wouldn't cover 1-2 years out of warranty if this happened to a stock car.

The problem is, I'm not convinced this has or ever will happen to a stock car.

Unless it happened to my own - I would still have a hard time believing it.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11403.00
      11-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #159
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
I'd be surprised if bmw wouldn't cover 1-2 years out of warranty if this happened to a stock car.

Don’t know if you seen this thread
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1560274

And there are other threads documenting this problem in stock cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #160
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_X View Post
Quote:

Don’t know if you seen this thread
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1560274

And there are other threads documenting this problem in stock cars.
Two stock failures.

One manual one DCT.

Still not convinced I'm afraid.
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #161
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Two stock failures.

One manual one DCT.

There are a total of 9 stock failures (3 manual and 6 DCT) reported in that thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #162
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
Two stock failures.

One manual one DCT.

There are nine. You may deny it but the fact is that still happens to a stock car. There is one with less that 7k miles on it. Then take into account that those are the reported ones. Not everyone uses these forums.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #163
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I've read most of the threads on this subject. So 9 stock S55 engines with a slipped crank hub. This is the place where these issues show up as complaints. How many S55 engines are on the road? If the crank hub did slip most if the time the car just goes into limp mode and the engine is not lost. In addition, on cars with tuned DCT transmissions seem to be the most at risk of causing a failure. It seems to me that the risk is minimal. Famous last words, right? 🤪
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 02:48 AM   #164
Ilvez
Enlisted Member
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport, F10

Its difficult to find production numbers for F82/83 models. For F80 its 34677 globally. Its safe to say that M4/Convertible is at least as much so I think we can say that production of S55 engine is roughly 70 000 units. In addition there is M2 Competition models as well.

As only 650 members have responded to SCH poll, then by no means this is statistically representative sample out of which to make any decisions on

Stock car wise its safe to say that one should not worry about it too much. Even M4 GTS uses exactly the same hardware for crank hub so theoretically its good to go up to 500hp. Practically - I would do the fix before the first day car goes out of warranty. Or gets tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I've read most of the threads on this subject. So 9 stock S55 engines with a slipped crank hub. This is the place where these issues show up as complaints. How many S55 engines are on the road? If the crank hub did slip most if the time the car just goes into limp mode and the engine is not lost. In addition, on cars with tuned DCT transmissions seem to be the most at risk of causing a failure. It seems to me that the risk is minimal. Famous last words, right? 🤪
Appreciate 1
AlpsRider2854.50