Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Midpipe Quandary

I'm currently in the market for a single-midpipe upgrade for my 2015 non-CP F80 M3 - currently trying to decide between VRSF and AA. Both appear to be popular and effective at getting rid of the exhaust "rasp" and improving the overall exhaust sound. There is a price differential between the two products, and I'm wondering which one is the best overall choice for fitment and quality. I'm running stock downpipes and muffler with an Alpine Stage 2 tune and BMC air filters/charcoal delete - any insights and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey

Last edited by RoundelM3; 10-28-2019 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
DaytonaVioletM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
I'm currently in the market for a single-midpipe upgrade for my 2015 non-CP F80 M3 - currently trying to decide between VRSF and AA. Both appear to be popular and effective at getting rid of the exhaust "rasp" and improving the overall exhaust sound. There is a price differential between the two products, and I'm wondering which one is the best overall choice for fitment and quality. I'm running stock downpipes and muffler - any insights and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have the AA and the quality and fitment is 10/10. I believe they are running a special right now as well.
      10-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaVioletM3 View Post
I have the AA and the quality and fitment is 10/10. I believe they are running a special right now as well.
Thanks - I appreciate your comments.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaVioletM3 View Post
Are you running downpipes and/or aftermarket exhaust or stock other than the midpipe?

Curious about smell, sound, and feasibility of passing emissions readiness test (not sniffer) at various stages of mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Are you running downpipes and/or aftermarket exhaust or stock other than the midpipe?

Curious about smell, sound, and feasibility of passing emissions readiness test (not sniffer) at various stages of mods.
i have the AA mid pipe with stock cats and stock muffler and i love it, not to quiet doesn't stink. the quality is really good and the welds are pretty. but once your cross this path you will want more and more. i think about remus exhaust everyday lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #6
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebin View Post
i have the AA mid pipe with stock cats and stock muffler and i love it, not to quiet doesn't stink. the quality is really good and the welds are pretty. but once your cross this path you will want more and more. i think about remus exhaust everyday lol.
+1 !! i feel the same way
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
One other question - has anyone had to replace the "ring" gaskets at the flange where the midpipe meets the downpipes during installation?

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Just did aa pipe on non zcp and it's perfect. Yes to replace all gaskets. I just love the amplified bark when you let off the gas.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
Just did aa pipe on non zcp and it's perfect. Yes to replace all gaskets. I just love the amplified bark when you let off the gas.
Did you have any burbles or overrun now with this setup? Would love to hear a video
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redacre View Post
Did you have any burbles or overrun now with this setup? Would love to hear a video
I have non zcp and after install no burbles. Burbles come from tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 04:22 PM   #11
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I'm currently in the market for a single-midpipe upgrade for my 2015 non-CP F80 M3 - currently trying to decide between VRSF and AA. Both appear to be popular and effective at getting rid of the exhaust "rasp" and improving the overall exhaust sound. There is a price differential between the two products, and I'm wondering which one is the best overall choice for fitment and quality. I'm running stock downpipes and muffler with an Alpine Stage 2 tune and BMC air filters/charcoal delete - any insights and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
We designed the original F8x Single Midpipe A few years back with nothing but excellent feedback and reviews.. Any that look Similar to ours are just blatant knock offs with subpar fitment.

With that said we are running a great deal on them right now while supplies last

Big thanks to all that have supported us over the years!
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Quote:
We designed the original F8x Single Midpipe A few years back with nothing but excellent feedback and reviews.. Any that look Similar to ours are just blatant knock offs with subpar fitment.

With that said we are running a great deal on them right now while supplies last

Big thanks to all that have supported us over the years!
Wondering if you have any fitment tips for the full AA exhaust on an F87. I have taken it to 2 shops so far. The first shop the exhaust was fine for about 1 week until it began to rattle. The second shop fixed it a bit more and adjusted the fitment but it began to rattle again after 1 month. Also when I contacted your support email you all just told me to "adjust the bracket up and down"... which wasn't much help. I am almost certain it is vibrating against the center brace.

Also a big complaint is the fact that you all sent me exhaust tips which do not fit.. period....

Both shops asked me why I had the wrong sized tips, but you all send me those when I ordered the full exhaust system. Unfortunately I had to tack weld them on the ends due to the tips not being able to tighten onto the ends. I need to tack weld them some more because the tips still rattle due to an improper fit and a hack of a job tack weld to keep them on. (They are AA branded tips which came with the system)

Please pm me if you want any photos... also I know I didn't get a knock off since it was shipped from your facility, I bought it through another site though which is very popular on these forums. (Won't name blast them since it is out of their control)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #13
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

I added the AA midpipe a few weeks back with stock DP and stock rear, non-ZCP with BM3 93 oct stage 1 tune, running custom burbles not OTS. I like it.

I had pulled the exhaust valve fuses a year or so ago and have been running with open all the time with the stock set up and thought the sound was not bad. Only complaints were the seemingly more "nasal" tone as rpm climbs and the random brassy/rattle noise that seems to come on under hard accel at certain lower rpms. The AA midpipe addressed the nasal sound as it much more throaty and deep now. That other noise I can't seem to pinpoint and fix but I know is not AA mid related.

I had mine put in by the dealer as I was already in for service. I actually crawled under the car the week before and saw the level of rust on the fasteners and did not want the hassle myself. Ultimately The dealer had to replace gaskets and fasteners anyway but I'm at 46k miles in New England and I drive year round daily.

I looked at both the AA and others and chose AA primarily due to US made, reviews of others and the deal offered as a discount. I can't speak to the others in terms of quality and results but am enjoying the AA.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #14
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
Wondering if you have any fitment tips for the full AA exhaust on an F87. I have taken it to 2 shops so far. The first shop the exhaust was fine for about 1 week until it began to rattle. The second shop fixed it a bit more and adjusted the fitment but it began to rattle again after 1 month. Also when I contacted your support email you all just told me to "adjust the bracket up and down"... which wasn't much help. I am almost certain it is vibrating against the center brace.

Also a big complaint is the fact that you all sent me exhaust tips which do not fit.. period....

Both shops asked me why I had the wrong sized tips, but you all send me those when I ordered the full exhaust system. Unfortunately I had to tack weld them on the ends due to the tips not being able to tighten onto the ends. I need to tack weld them some more because the tips still rattle due to an improper fit and a hack of a job tack weld to keep them on. (They are AA branded tips which came with the system)

Please pm me if you want any photos... also I know I didn't get a knock off since it was shipped from your facility, I bought it through another site though which is very popular on these forums. (Won't name blast them since it is out of their control)

Lets get this solved! You have a Pm .
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #15
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

AA midpipe is great, but there are 3 tweaks that would make it better.

1) Flatten the pipe near the DP connection. It hangs lower than the chassis. Mine scrapes on tall speed bumps.
2) Flatten the pipe near the chassis cross brace. There is width there to do it in the chassis tunnel. Pipe flow area is huge and already exceeds that of the 2 outlet pipes. No reason you can't.
3) Bead blast the spherical joints near the rear diff or something else to increase COF (coefficient of friction). These slip and sag over time, requiring the pipe to be periodically adjusted (since it rattles on the cross brace). And no, I don't think shimming the cross brace is a good idea.

Otherwise great value, sounds good with the muffler valves open.

OP, I've got this setup with the Alpine Stage 2 with burbles and love it. Loud enough, not obtrusive, minimal drone.
      10-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #16
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Again - thanks for all your comments and experiences. Very valuable info.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #17
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

I've had mine for a few months now and absolutely love it! I have stock DPs, a non ZCP muffler, and a BMS stage 1; there are no smells at all and with the muffler valve closed it's not too much louder than stock but with it open it's nice and aggressive. With the valves open on a cold start, that's when it's really loud.

I ordered mine with the modified crossbrace and that made fitment a breeze with no shimming or anything required. I cut the stock exhaust with this cuttter which made getting a straight cut nice and easy. Here's a video from a track day where you can hear the exhaust.
Appreciate 1
Redacre362.00
      10-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #18
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I've had mine for a few months now and absolutely love it! I have stock DPs, a non ZCP muffler, and a BMS stage 1; there are no smells at all and with the muffler valve closed it's not too much louder than stock but with it open it's nice and aggressive. With the valves open on a cold start, that's when it's really loud.

I ordered mine with the modified crossbrace and that made fitment a breeze with no shimming or anything required. I cut the stock exhaust with this cuttter which made getting a straight cut nice and easy. Here's a video from a track day where you can hear the exhaust.
Sounds really good - AA or VRSF?

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #19
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post

Thank you! This is the setup I am leaning towards. Do you have burbles enabled in the stage 1 tune? I watched your YT videos (great track laps btw) but couldn't hear much on WOT. I'm trying to figure out how close I can make my non-ZCP sound to a ZCP in terms of burble/overrun.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #20
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Sounds really good - AA or VRSF?
AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redacre View Post
Thank you! This is the setup I am leaning towards. Do you have burbles enabled in the stage 1 tune? I watched your YT videos (great track laps btw) but couldn't hear much on WOT. I'm trying to figure out how close I can make my non-ZCP sound to a ZCP in terms of burble/overrun.
The Stage 1 is just the plug-and-play piggyback with no options, so no burbles enabled. In those videos you won't hear any; the only time I do is when letting off the gas after light acceleration at low speeds when the muffler valve is open. Based on how those sound though I'll be enabling mild burbles when I switch to a flash tune after my warranty is up.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #21
control_m4
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 2016 6MT BM3

Installed an AA midpipe earlier this summer and it sounds great, stock downpipes and stock axleback. 10/10 recommend.
Appreciate 1
RoundelM31816.00
      10-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #22
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

I have AA midpipes coming but I need recommendations for axle back exhaust to add on
Appreciate 0