Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb BMW M3 / M4 Engine (S55): Deep Dive and Interview

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW M3 / M4 Engine (S55): Deep Dive and Interview
COMMENTS

The following comes courtesy of M-Power.com.

Also see:
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 1): The new M Servotronic.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 2): The Brake Systems.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 3): The new engine.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 4): Sound and Exhuast System.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 5): smartly light, rigid, precise.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 6): The new chassis.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 7): The Active M differential.

BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 3): The new engine.
Interview with M engineer Juergen Poggel.

April 22, 2014

Name:  engine1.jpg
Views: 39102
Size:  181.7 KB
Jürgen Poggel, Head of Development M Engines.

So a new engine has been developed for the BMW M3 and BMW M4?

Jürgen Poggel: Yes. The previous engine was a naturally aspirated V8. For the new BMW M3 and BMW M4 [full technical info], we in the M engine development department in Munich' Preussenstrasse have designed an M TwinPower Turbo inline six-cylinder design and readied it for series production.

What is special about this new engine?

In terms of functionality it is characterised by its turbo-typical constant high torque, which is available across a very wide band, from 1850 to 5500 rpm.

Its performance curve is outstanding: its maximum power is available over a wide plateau of 5500 to 7300 rpm – and its maximum engine speed is as high as 7600 revolutions per minute.

The engine represents the best of both worlds – turbo and high revs.

Name:  engine2.jpg
Views: 42881
Size:  353.0 KB
BMW S55 Engine

What are the benefits to the customer?

When the driver takes the engine up to 7300 rpm, full power is immediately available again after changing gear – precisely because the maximum power is available within an engine speed band of 1800 rpm. If the BMW M3 or BMW M4 is equipped with M double-clutch transmission, gear changing can be performed with no interruption to the driving power. The integral of power over engine speed is therefore considerably higher than it would be if the maximum power level were only available briefly as a peak value.

This results in a phenomenal impression of acceleration.

Name:  engine3.jpg
Views: 41956
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  engine4.jpg
Views: 167555
Size:  227.8 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 9.34.26 AM.jpg
Views: 151668
Size:  90.4 KB
History of power (red), torque (dark blue) und CO2 emission (light blue) of BMW M3 automobiles.

So how is the fuel consumption of this car?

If you take it to the peak of its power, you will get about the same consumption levels as the previous engine. When it is running at partial load, help is provided by the high torque level, which means that consumption in normal road traffic is easily two or three litres less. The consumption spread has moved downwards overall while average consumption levels are correspondingly and discernibly lower.

What had to be done to achieve this result from a technical point of view?

We subjected the engine to a consistent process of dethrottling. The intercooler that sits visibly on the engine is positioned directly in the line between the compressor and the intake system. Exhaust runs are also as far as possible rectilinear and dethrottled. This enables a high and broad performance plateau with lower consumption levels.

A particularly important aspect of power delivery in an M engine is its response characteristics…

Everyone who has tried out this engine has confirmed to us that here too, we have got our sums right. Both Timo Glock and Bruno Spengler, who helped us out with the final setup runs on the north loop of the Nürburgring, were thrilled.

What is this due to?

Even the naturally aspirated full load level extends to as much as 270 Nm. The car will remain in this range when you want to keep up the power in the vehicle when driving through various kinds of bends. You will not feel any delayed response of the turbo in such cases, for the simple reason that the turbo charger has not actually come into play yet at these speeds.

When accelerating out of fast bends, the car will enter the turbo range, and all measures have been taken to ensure a fast response. We use two small turbo chargers with a very high efficiency factor and a low moment of inertia. Plus the dethrottling leads to very low levels of flow loss.

Name:  image5.jpg
Views: 38549
Size:  285.4 KB
Turbine wheel.

This time there is no cross bank exhaust manifold as there was in M cars with the M TwinPower Turbo V8 engine?

Well, actually, from a functional point of view there is. We have created an optimum system for collecting the exhaust fumes from each set of three cylinders. The difference is that in this design the cylinders are in an in-line arrangement.

Name:  engine6.jpg
Views: 41024
Size:  210.1 KB

The response characteristics of a turbo charger is often assessed quite differently by different people. What could be the reasons for this compared with a naturally aspirated engine?

One difference is that with naturally aspirated engines, there is a stronger intonation of intermediate positions of the accelerator pedal. If you increase the acceleration slightly, the engine immediately sounds different. A naturally aspirated engine acknowledges the request for more power with a change in sound. But with a turbo engine, this is not resolved acoustically in such detail, because the noises on the intake and exhaust sides are heavily damped by the turbo. It is this lack of acoustic feedback that creates the subjective perception of the engine's response.

The entire drive train and its control system also have a major effect on power delivery. It is quite possible that due to the good response and high torque of the M TwinPower Turbo engines – if it is switched on – the control system comes into action to prevent any breakaway in the tyre adhesion. In such cases, the DSC acts precisely, to keep you directly within the slip limit. This can be easily observed in serpentine bends – the DSC only releases the power again to a large extent once you have passed through the curve. The control systems work so well that you can hardly tell that it is this system that is currently determining the maximum possible acceleration level. If you switch off DSC and activate SPORT PLUS, you can feel the outstanding response very clearly, and, for instance, make good use of it on the racetrack to influence driving dynamics using the accelerator pedal.

Name:  engine7.jpg
Views: 37051
Size:  308.4 KB

There are three driving modes: EFFICIENT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS. In terms of engine activity, do these simply alter the accelerator curve?

No. With an M automobile, racetrack use is always an essential factor. Here it is necessary in all cases to be able to control very high power outputs with great precision using the accelerator pedal. For us, this means that we would not even consider a mode in which a small pedal movement would produce a great leap in power. In such a case it would not be possible to produce a measured power output. Which is why we prefer to create a largely linear torque curve controlled by the travel distance of the accelerator pedal.

Name:  engine8.jpg
Views: 36893
Size:  163.1 KB

So what are the differences between the EFFICIENT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes?

In the SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, the waste gates remain closed under partial load and the mass flow is routed through the turbines, to ensure that the turbo chargers are already rotating at a higher base speed even in standby. Moreover, certain special engine control functions are brought into play that accelerate activation of the turbo chargers. This means that the car responds more closely to the accelerator in SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes.

Another important point is that we normally have to take the drive train into consideration when it comes to building up torque. As a rule, the engine is able to build up torque at a speed that is much faster than that with which the drive train can cope. You can imagine that the drive train then begins to behave like a torsion spring, which is first stretched out and then vibrates, resulting in juddering. To prevent such judders, it is necessary to dampen the engine's build up of momentum to allow a harmonic progression of its response characteristics.

Name:  engine9.jpg
Views: 40211
Size:  199.3 KB

The rigid drive train of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4 is, however, optimised for a fast build-up of momentum, similar to a racing car, with a carbon fibre drive shaft, rear axle rigidly bolted to the body, suitably dimensioned drive shafts, etc. This means that the rigid drive train is also an important factor of the spontaneous entrance of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4. In EFFICIENT mode, everything is more levelled out, with a high orientation towards comfort. In stark contrast is the SPORT PLUS mode, which pays absolutely no attention to any comfort factors. In SPORT PLUS, all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal – but this also requires someone behind the wheel who really knows what he is doing. In SPORT PLUS, everything is transmitted as sharply as a knife, in terms of what the engineering can do to facilitate fast lap times – whether in the engine, transmission, chassis or control systems.

Thank you very much Mr. Poggel – we look forward very much to seeing the new engine in the BMW M3 and BMW M4 for ourselves.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great technical info

I found a few parts especially interesting:

Quote:
One difference is that with naturally aspirated engines, there is a stronger intonation of intermediate positions of the accelerator pedal. If you increase the acceleration slightly, the engine immediately sounds different. A naturally aspirated engine acknowledges the request for more power with a change in sound. But with a turbo engine, this is not resolved acoustically in such detail, because the noises on the intake and exhaust sides are heavily damped by the turbo. It is this lack of acoustic feedback that creates the subjective perception of the engine's response.
I do agree that the sound phenomenon actually takes place, but it surely doesn't account for everything... It might help exaggerate the felt lag in response, but a engine with turbo lag will still have lag. However it will be interesting to see how the S55's response really is.

Quote:
Another important point is that we normally have to take the drive train into consideration when it comes to building up torque. As a rule, the engine is able to build up torque at a speed that is much faster than that with which the drive train can cope. You can imagine that the drive train then begins to behave like a torsion spring, which is first stretched out and then vibrates, resulting in juddering. To prevent such judders, it is necessary to dampen the engine's build up of momentum to allow a harmonic progression of its response characteristics.
Torque management is obviously nothing new, but interesting insight anyway

Quote:
The rigid drive train of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4 is, however, optimised for a fast build-up of momentum, similar to a racing car, with a carbon fibre drive shaft, rear axle rigidly bolted to the body, suitably dimensioned drive shafts, etc. This means that the rigid drive train is also an important factor of the spontaneous entrance of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4. In EFFICIENT mode, everything is more levelled out, with a high orientation towards comfort. In stark contrast is the SPORT PLUS mode, which pays absolutely no attention to any comfort factors. In SPORT PLUS, all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal – but this also requires someone behind the wheel who really knows what he is doing. In SPORT PLUS, everything is transmitted as sharply as a knife, in terms of what the engineering can do to facilitate fast lap times – whether in the engine, transmission, chassis or control systems.
All the reviewers have been warned, you need to be able to handle a performance car! Chris Harris, please step forward and drive the car please

Over on the M5 forum there is a debate concerning exactly this point about the M5

Last edited by Boss330; 04-22-2014 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

What's amazing is how wide the powerband is at the top for a turbo motor. This car will be amazing but as far as tuning goes, that is one small turbine wheel.
      04-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Good interview, I wished the question would have been asked how the engine response is rated vs the S63TU since it's an engine we all know and it would have given us a reference point to go with the theory.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
This is my favorite line:

"In stark contrast is the SPORT PLUS mode, which pays absolutely no attention to any comfort factors"
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Thanks for the post.

Some interesting take-away points.

Really excited to hear how someone who knows how to handle a car like this in Sport + mode evaluates the whole package.

Also, while I think the whole sound/feel about NA engines is a bit of a cop-out, sound is DEFINITELY linked to feel. Partly what makes 'feel' so subjective and different for everybody. Kind of like how smell is linked with taste...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

awesome!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
BlackCobra08
King Cobra
Rep
Drives: incoming GTS 4.0

I really enjoy reading these Deep Dive and Interviews. Will there be a part 4? I sure hope so, cause the wait for June/July deliveries is starting to turn into a time warp!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Great read, looking forward to PT 4!
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Wow. Just wow. That's ALOT more power at peak between gear changes and ALOT more power everywhere else too.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post

Wow. Just wow. That's ALOT more power at peak between gear changes and ALOT more power everywhere else too.

That is impressive gains through the rev range compared with the S65. Something I'm pretty sure can be felt by the driver

Last edited by Boss330; 04-22-2014 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
That is impressive gains through the rev range compared with the S65. Something I'm pretty sure can be felt by the driver
Yeah, we often talk about torque, but let me just express: When you floor it at 3000 rpms and you have either 160 or 235 hp on tap in a 3500 pound machine, there is an enormous difference. Yeesh, nearly 50% more power during everyday driving right on tap.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

The other thing he called out I thought was interesting: DCT gear shift changes result in no interruption in power delivery (i.e. amount of power on tap).

I presume that means the 6MT is going to see a more notable decrease in boost between gear changes. I realize this is normal, but, sigh.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #14
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
The other thing he called out I thought was interesting: DCT gear shift changes result in no interruption in power delivery (i.e. amount of power on tap).

I presume that means the 6MT is going to see a more notable decrease in boost between gear changes. I realize this is normal, but, sigh.
Thats exactly how it is in the N54 6mt, no idea how you could get around that. You do have to manually press in a clutch for a split second in order to remove load.
      04-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #15
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Nice interview with some good technical info. I do take issue with his comment about Sport +:

"With an M automobile, racetrack use is always an essential factor. Here it is necessary in all cases to be able to control very high power outputs with great precision using the accelerator pedal. For us, this means that we would not even consider a mode in which a small pedal movement would produce a great leap in power."

This certainly isn't the case in the E9x (just a throttle map, about as linear as a light switch.) I really hope what he is saying is true, since I am getting a manual and would like to be able to avoid the auto-rev matching feature without a hyper-sensitive throttle.
      04-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA

OMG...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Ok just one more comment on that power curve differential graphic.

To me, that is the difference I would expect going from a 4.0 liter v8 to a ~5.0-5.5 liter v8, at least from 1500-7000rpms. I mean, assuming the same level of power output efficiency in the S65, you'd need a displacement increase of 20-40% to mimic that power curve.

I've been reading the constant bemoaning about peak power for so long that I've gotten a little nonplussed with the total output.

This graphic just got me giddy like a school boy again
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #18
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, GT3, X7

The S55 is going to be a beast.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

So much info being published on the F8x Mx's lol, can't keep up with them.
      04-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Nice interview with some good technical info. I do take issue with his comment about Sport +:

"With an M automobile, racetrack use is always an essential factor. Here it is necessary in all cases to be able to control very high power outputs with great precision using the accelerator pedal. For us, this means that we would not even consider a mode in which a small pedal movement would produce a great leap in power."

This certainly isn't the case in the E9x (just a throttle map, about as linear as a light switch.) I really hope what he is saying is true, since I am getting a manual and would like to be able to avoid the auto-rev matching feature without a hyper-sensitive throttle.
+1

I am certainly excited about the auto rev match feature, but not if we can't defeat it without having sport plus throttle settings. That shit is useless on the E9X M3s. I can't imagine attempting to drive with that on at the track. I'd probably spin coming out of corners a lot more often.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #21
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Great interview, and awesome technical details.

Cannot wait to get behind the wheel of the S55.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #22
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Interesting that apparently throttle mapping doesn't get twitchy in Sport and Sport Plus, in stark contrast to the E9x, where Sport Plus is practically undrivable even on the road if you want any degree of precision, never mind the track. Looks like BMW is taking a page out of Porsche's book here. I drive in Sport on the road and Normal on the track (and fun back road driving) precisely because I like the quick-action throttle feeling on the road but need a more controllable throttle when precision really matters.

I do however wonder if the interview literally means that Sport Plus is just as linear as the lower modes or if it's just marketing speak and a more accurate explanation would be, "The higher modes aren't SO bad that it's not controllable at the track -- but they're still more twitchy." I hope not.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 04-22-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0