Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #111
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List

i'm not a fan of red but those are actually nice finds imo. nice job.

i built an orange one once with black/grey stripes and i almost pulled the trigger on it. so tempting.
      06-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #112
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i'm not a fan of red but those are actually nice finds imo. nice job.

i built an orange one once with black/grey stripes and i almost pulled the trigger on it. so tempting.
Can't believe the 2nd link is $13.5k under MSRP. As far as pulling the trigger, I'm not sure I could do it unless I had a solid stable already, but that massive V10 is tempting
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #113
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Jag XF-R? Or even the F-type?
F-type isn't a bad suggestion for his price range. They now offer a manual in the supercharged 6, with rear wheel drive. That car sounds amazing. It isn't NA, but supercharger has more of instant-on feeling than the turbo powerplants OP dislikes.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #114
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
F-type isn't a bad suggestion for his price range. They now offer a manual in the supercharged 6, with rear wheel drive. That car sounds amazing. It isn't NA, but supercharger has more of instant-on feeling than the turbo powerplants OP dislikes.
it's not practical though which is why i suggested the XF first. My boss has an XF-R, christ, 550HP and sounds MEAN.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #115
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
it's not practical though which is why i suggested the XF first. My boss has an XF-R, christ, 550HP and sounds MEAN.
But one hell of a fatty fat fat. If the M4 is heavy, the XK and F Type are obese.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #116
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was just going to mention a Viper as well but I see it has already been brought up. Not sure what they go for in Canada but the Gen 5's are gorgeous.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #117
tcpsoft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
+1 on the Lotus Exige or Elise, though you can almost get two for the price of a 981 Cayman S.

CPO 991 Carrera S?

2015 M3 DCT (sold)
2008 Lotus Exige S240 - too many mods to list (sold)
2007 Lotus Exige S (RIP)
2006 MINI Cooper S (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #118
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235i View Post
+1
+3 or 4 or whatever the number is now

Ive also driven both and the 1M is a huge downgrade to anything with a Cayman badge on the back especially a current gen Cayman S or GTS.

Sounds like is you can't go to a 911 staying with a Cayman S/GTS or GT4 are the only options without the car being a downgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #119
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
+3 or 4 or whatever the number is now

Ive also driven both and the 1M is a huge downgrade to anything with a Cayman badge on the back especially a current gen Cayman S or GTS.

Sounds like is you can't go to a 911 staying with a Cayman S/GTS or GT4 are the only options without the car being a downgrade.
Im sure you would think even a bugatti veyron or koeniggsegg agera are a downgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 11:55 PM   #120
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I feel sad driving a downgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #121
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Im sure you would think even a bugatti veyron or koeniggsegg agera are a downgrade
Ok, we are talking sensible here, not fantasy.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #122
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

For those interested here's an update and more info. In my original post I said I ruled out the C7, here's more info on that:
I ended up owning a 2015 Corvette C7 for about 3 weeks. I contemplated that car for quite some time. Even though I was absolutely in love with my 981 when I first got it, once it became the new normal, my propensity to change cars much too frequently set in and I was on the hunt.
I had a brief test drive back of the c7 in November 2013, and while the car was impressive in some respects, I certainly wasn't left with the sense that I had to have one and make the change from my 981. But as time went on and the luster of my 981 dulled, my affliction to get something new and shiny grew worse and so in January of this year I ordered a 2015 C7 specced as follows:
Lt1 with Zf1 package (z51 wheels, tires, spoiler)
artic white on black, 7 speed, performance exhaust, carbon flash painted mirrors and rear spoiler.

I picked the C7 up early June, about 3 weeks after I sold the CS. I enjoyed the first drive home, the novelty of the v8 sound and power brought me back to my youth and my days of 5.0 mustangs. But soon the differences between the CS and the C7 began to creep into my consciousness and I was beginning to realize that I wasn't enjoying the C7 as much as I enjoyed the CS. I will write a detailed comparison at some point but for now I will say I didn't like the quality of the sound of the engine as much as the CS, the v8 sounds good but not as a good as the howl of a flat six. I found aspects of the car crude and coarse compared to the CS. The lack of visibility was annoying (you can not do a shoulder check on the driver's side blindspot and must rely on mirrors only). The precision and refinement weren't at the same level in so many different aspects, shift quality, throttle response, steering feel and response. The size of the car was cumbersome. I missed the turn in and balance of a mid engine car. Body movements weren't as controlled. In so many ways the car was just not as joy or grin inducing.

When I first got my CS, I lusted after driving like never before, I couldn't get enough of the car. That did not happen with the C7, but rather I in fact wished I still had my CS. And so I tried to get it back! A local Porsche dealer had bought my car it was still for sale. I advertised the C7 and sold it in about 3 days (the demand for the car is incredible in Canada as it is hard to come by up here), but alas my old car sold the day before I sold the C7!
I was pretty bummed at that point as I knew this meant a wait for another 981. But in the end I did ok. I managed to find a dealer who had a "frozen" order that was still changeable and I jumped on it. This means instead of waiting until October as I was told by other dealers, I should have my 2016 CS by late august!

It is specced as follows:
white, black interior
6 speed manual
20 inch Carrera s wheels with matte black finish
x73 suspension (thanks for everyone's input on that!)
sport design steering wheel
model delete and smoker's package

a pretty basic S but I can't wait to get it.

so in the end I guess currently there is no other move from a 981CS, at least for me...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #123
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Curious...why didn't you go for the GTS instead?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #124
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
just a guess but it's an unnecessary cost difference and the availability of him finding a frozen order to modify. never underestimate instant (or slightly delayed) gratification.

obviously, i'm a fan of the CS and instant gratification. lol
      07-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #125
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
For those interested here's an update and more info. In my original post I said I ruled out the C7, here's more info on that:
I ended up owning a 2015 Corvette C7 for about 3 weeks. I contemplated that car for quite some time. Even though I was absolutely in love with my 981 when I first got it, once it became the new normal, my propensity to change cars much too frequently set in and I was on the hunt.
I had a brief test drive back of the c7 in November 2013, and while the car was impressive in some respects, I certainly wasn't left with the sense that I had to have one and make the change from my 981. But as time went on and the luster of my 981 dulled, my affliction to get something new and shiny grew worse and so in January of this year I ordered a 2015 C7 specced as follows:
artic white on black, 7 speed, performance exhaust, carbon flash painted mirrors and rear spoiler.

I picked the C7 up early June, about 3 weeks after I sold the CS. I enjoyed the first drive home, the novelty of the v8 sound and power brought me back to my youth and my days of 5.0 mustangs. But soon the differences between the CS and the C7 began to creep into my consciousness and I was beginning to realize that I wasn't enjoying the C7 as much as I enjoyed the CS. I will write a detailed comparison at some point but for now I will say I didn't like the quality of the sound of the engine as much as the CS, the v8 sounds good but not as a good as the howl of a flat six. I found aspects of the car crude and coarse compared to the CS. The lack of visibility was annoying (you can not do a shoulder check on the driver's side blindspot and must rely on mirrors only). The precision and refinement weren't at the same level in so many different aspects, shift quality, throttle response, steering feel and response. The size of the car was cumbersome. I missed the turn in and balance of a mid engine car. Body movements weren't as controlled. In so many ways the car was just not as joy or grin inducing.

When I first got my CS, I lusted after driving like never before, I couldn't get enough of the car. That did not happen with the C7, but rather I in fact wished I still had my CS. And so I tried to get it back! A local Porsche dealer had bought my car it was still for sale. I advertised the C7 and sold it in about 3 days (the demand for the car is incredible in Canada as it is hard to come by up here), but alas my old car sold the day before I sold the C7!
I was pretty bummed at that point as I knew this meant a wait for another 981. But in the end I did ok. I managed to find a dealer who had a "frozen" order that was still changeable and I jumped on it. This means instead of waiting until October as I was told by other dealers, I should have my 2016 CS by late august!

It is specced as follows:
white, black interior
6 speed manual
20 inch Carrera s wheels with matte black finish
x73 suspension (thanks for everyone's input on that!)
sport design steering wheel
model delete and smoker's package

a pretty basic S but I can't wait to get it.

so in the end I guess currently there is no other move from a 981CS, at least for me...
I think the c7 would have been more enjoyable if you had a Z51.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:17 AM   #126
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white M235i

991 C2S. I just bought a 2012 with 9000 miles for the same price as a new cayman s
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:28 AM   #127
ethanjoon
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6MT, E90 330i 6MT

Lotus Evora
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #128
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
GTS is still about 10K more based on the config of my S and a GTS (here in the Great white north)
I don't like alacantra (yes I could delete it, but you're paying for it in some sense)
I don't need the sport exhaust, the stock exhaust works for me
I can get the S sooner and I suspect I got a better discount on the S than I would have got on the GTS
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 07:52 AM   #129
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
I think the c7 would have been more enjoyable if you had a Z51.
no doubt, the Z51 would have better handling and body control, but a lot of the other aspects of the C7 which didn't work FOR ME, would still be there
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #130
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@tpc View Post
991 C2S. I just bought a 2012 with 9000 miles for the same price as a new cayman s
can't find that here in Canada
a cpo 2012 S with that mileage would go for about 20k more than the 981CS I configured.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 11:32 PM   #131
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

CPO 991 Carrera S makes the most sense for you
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #132
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

2015 Corvette vs 2014 Cayman S

Here is my review of the 2015 C7 I owned for 3 weeks. My prior car was a 2014 Cayman S.

My C7 was specced as follows:
I put about 300 km on it in 3 weeks. I completely respected the break in period and so never floored it and never took it over 4000 rpm.
My impressions

exterior aesthetics: Obviously very subjective, but I found the looks of the car in artic white with black wheels appealing enough to look back at the car when walking away. The car certainly gets loads of attention. Much more so than the cayman, and I had the 981 when it first came out. People take pictures of the C7 and slow down or catch up to get a better look. People are also much friendlier to you in the C7, people talk to you and engage you much more so than the cayman.

interior: I don't focus much on a car's interior, but there is no question in my mind that I preferred the cayman's interior look and feel and ergonomics

ride: the C7 with base suspension is actually very impressive in its suppleness and composure over bumps, definitely superior to my CS with 20 inch wheels and the stock suspension

body control and movement: the base C7's body control is not as composed as the cayman's. Its nose dives much more noticeably. But I suspect the Z51 would be quite different in this regard.

size: the C7 is noticeably bigger than the cayman in feel, even though parked side by side it doesn't look all that much bigger (aside from the large rear). I found the width of the car and its large back took away from my enjoyment of the car. I probably would have got more used to it, but somehow that big hood in front of me took away from my feeling of being connected to the road.

engine sound: The v8 sounds good with the performance exhaust. But it doesn't sound as good as the howl of a flat six. I found myself thinking, really this v8 doesn't sound much different than the v8 in a truck, which is enjoyable in its own right, but not as enjoyable to my ears as a flat six.

engine performance and power: the C7 really shines in this area. There is torque and power at any rpm level. You can pass at will. It's like the car is on a slingshot. It felt noticeably faster than the CS WHEN I REALLY LAYED INTO IT. As I said I never floored the car, but I did go 1/2 throttle and it moved really well with that throttle input. But at lesser throttle inputs, it actually didn't feel that much quicker than my CS. Apparently due to all the torque, GM has mapped the throttle (even in track mode), in such a way that it's not truly progressive, i.e. 25% of throttle input does not equate to 25% of engine power. This is noticeable and takes away from the engine's enjoyment. But when you lay into it, the car really does move, and that is a lot of fun.

handling/steering: in anything but track mode, the steering feel and sense is pretty bad, but in track mode it is decent, and not something that is glaringly different from the cayman. The handling of the base c7 could not compare to my cayman, but I knew that going in. The base car feels more floaty, less planted. The z51 would I think offer a much better handling experience.

shift/clutch action: pretty decent actually, maybe not quite as fun as the caymans, but enjoyable and well done.

throttle response: the C7 definitely pales in comparison to the cayman in this area. I swear I could sense some lag, almost akin to a turbo (but not as evident obviously) when I hit the pedal on the C7, almost like the car's torque management system is deciding if its safe to release all that torque. The throttle was not nearly as crisp and precise as the caymans.

visibility: overall not too bad in the C7, definitely more of that sitting in a bathtub feeling than the cayman but not so bad that I would say it felt enclosed or annoying, you can't check your driver's side blind spot with a shoulder check, but I eventually got used to using the side mirror to do so.

fit and finish: I am not a great judge of things like body alignment etc, but I didn't notice anything glaring, aside from a horrible chemical smell inside the car that still existed after 3 weeks (not new car smell, but a toxic smell) and I did notice that the doors would often not close properly and had to be reshut.

Overall in the end all the little differences in the C7 added up to a noticeably less enjoyable experience than my Cayman S. When I first got my cayman, I could not get enough of the car. I literally had a grin on my face driving it and I had to talk myself out of driving it all the time. I started going for joy rides with no particular destination, which I hadn't done since I was a teenager.

None of that happened with the C7. There is no doubt it is still a very fun car to drive. But I have to say that in comparison to my cayman (and even its predecessor my z4 coupe), it still feels a little less refined, precise and buttoned down. It has a coarseness and gruffness to it. In the fine details, you feel this and you feel less connected to the car and the road. It just did not bring as much as driving joy and for me that's what a car is all about.

Hope this helps those considering the C7, YMMV. There are a lot of "euro car drivers" who seem to have a different experience with the C7 and say it doesn't offer less refinement, precision and quality than the European marques and they are quite impressed with it. For me it hasn't quite reached the levels of the Europeans and I could feel it in the finer details and subtleties, and that made it less enjoyable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0