R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
usu335i
Keep it clean
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Anyone installed the Remus exhaust?

Are there any forum members out there running this exhaust? It looks like a quality piece and the price isn't too bad. I see a lot of people loving the AWE system which is good the see. Price is similar on the Remus and AWE and they are both down pipe back systems.
I've had my M4 since last fall and its now time to get an exhaust. Ive heard all the sound clips available on but don't see many for the Remus system...
What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

We have installed of bunch of the Remus exhausts. Great build quality, sound and fit. Also a plus is you get your choice of tips with carbon fiber being the most popular.

Here are some pics and sound clips

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
JoeKixxon715.00
      05-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

EAS installed the Remus full cat back exhaust on my car last week. I think it's a great exhaust. Although it can be aggressive sounding, it is not obnoxious. However, I do have my primary cats still in place. It would probably be noticeably louder with catless downpipes as it is unresonated.

I was looking at AWE, MPE and Remus. Ultimately, I went with Remus as I just liked Remus's tip options better. MPE is too expensive and disappointing that it's not all titanium like Akrapovic. On my Remus, I went w/ the 98mm straight cut black tips w/ CF accents. The good thing about Remus is, if you like chrome tips, I think the 102mm chrome tips are included at no addt'l cost.

Being in California, I was concerned about emissions. The Remus can be installed with or without secondary cats and resonators. I have the full cat back installed. However, I had EAS cut my stock exhaust at the mounting points for running the rear section only, which is 100% legal as it retains the resonators and secondary cats. When I need to smog the car, I can just install the stock mid pipes.

Build quality of the Remus is very good. Unlike the MPE, the pipes of the exhaust actually looks exactly like the pictures on the internet. I have the BMS can flap valve controller and it works perfectly w/ the Remus exhaust. With valves closed, it is extremely tame... virtually stock sounding. With valves open, it cracks, burbles and sounds really great. Very satisfied overall with this exhaust. Looks badass and I've gotten nothing but compliments from those who've seen/heard the exhaust.

Here's EAS's blog on the install for my car. Check out how nice the overall exhaust looks - just like the official product photos. You can also see the black straight cut tips. I could do without the white Remus logo, but oh well.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 05-12-2015 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 5
      05-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
usu335i
Keep it clean
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
EAS installed the Remus full cat back exhaust on my car last week. I think it's a great exhaust. Although it can be aggressive sounding, it is not obnoxious. However, I do have my primary cats still in place. It would probably be noticeably louder with catless downpipes as it is unresonated.

I was looking at AWE, MPE and Remus. Ultimately, I went with Remus as I just liked Remus's tip options better. MPE is too expensive and disappointing that it's not all titanium like Akrapovic. On my Remus, I went w/ the 98mm straight cut black tips w/ CF accents. The good thing about Remus is, if you like chrome tips, I think the 102mm chrome tips are included at no addt'l cost.

Being in California, I was concerned about emissions. The Remus can be installed with or without secondary cats and resonators. I have the full cat back installed. However, I had EAS cut my stock exhaust at the mounting points for running the rear section only, which is 100% legal as it retains the resonators and secondary cats. When I need to smog the car, I can just install the stock mid pipes.

Build quality of the Remus is very good. Unlike the MPE, the pipes of the exhaust actually looks exactly like the pictures on the internet. I have the BMS can flap valve controller and it works perfectly w/ the Remus exhaust. With valves closed, it is extremely tame... virtually stock sounding. With valves open, it cracks, burbles and sounds really great. Very satisfied overall with this exhaust. Looks badass and I've gotten nothing but compliments from those who've seen/heard the exhaust.

Here's EAS's blog on the install for my car. Check out how nice the overall exhaust looks - just like the official product photos. You can also see the black straight cut tips. I could do without the white Remus logo, but oh well.
Thanks for your response/review! I think the pictures show it as a quality piece. I plan on keeping my stock downpipes so I'm glad that you don't its too loud. would you say that the tone is very raspy or deeper/meaner sound?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usu335i View Post
Thanks for your response/review! I think the pictures show it as a quality piece. I plan on keeping my stock downpipes so I'm glad that you don't its too loud. would you say that the tone is very raspy or deeper/meaner sound?
With valves open, it is noticeably deeper than stock and perhaps slightly raspier. If anything I would prefer more of a high pitched MPE sounding rasp. But I like loud, angry sounding exhausts. If you don't like rasp, the Remus is for you as it has virtually no rasp.

With valves closed, it may as well be stock.

Also, when comparing this exhaust or any other for that matter, whether listening to sound clips on the internet or in real life, there are variables that can widely impact the sound. I would say the character of the Remus exhaust changes by a huge degree depending on a number of factors.

1. Cold start up - sounds super loud, rattlely, and unrefined - this is true of ANY exhaust I've heard on the F8x platform. This goes away after about 30 seconds, or with valves closed, is significantly reduced.

2. Overall sound volume - much louder in the first 1-2 minutes, then the exhaust settles down a bit and is not quite as loud. Once settled down, it is noticeably louder than stock, but very reasonable considering there are no secondary cats or resonators.

3. Drone - Frankly, I don't find the Remus exhaust to drone at all... but then again, I didn't find the stock exhaust to have any drone either w/ valves fully open whereas a few people on this forum have complained about that. I like hearing the exhaust all the time and having the option of completely quieting it w/ valves closed. IMO, valves open on the Remus doesn't drone at freeway speeds. If you think it does, close the valves, then for sure there's no drone.

4. Time, mileage and break in - I've only had the exhaust for a week and about 1-200 miles of driving. I fully expect the exhaust to get noticeably louder over the next 2-3K miles, just like w/ my stock exhaust.

5. Active Sound - I have mine completely coded off. All of my impressions are w/ it off. I hate active sound, especially w/ my aftermarket stereo, so I don't know how the Remus would sound in conjunction w/ AS. IMO, AS sounds 1000x worse than any perceived drone in the car.

Regardless of what exhaust you get, I would definitely recommend getting something to control the exhaust valves so add that to your budget. I still like the BMS can flap controller because it's plug and play (no cutting or splicing of wires at all), fully reversible, works reliably so far, actually has extra features - you can control exhaust valves AND also deactivate the active sound and change the brightness of your halos, etc. Definitely some very useful features.
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
With valves open, it is noticeably deeper than stock and perhaps slightly raspier. If anything I would prefer more of a high pitched MPE sounding rasp. But I like loud, angry sounding exhausts. If you don't like rasp, the Remus is for you as it has virtually no rasp.

With valves closed, it may as well be stock.

Also, when comparing this exhaust or any other for that matter, whether listening to sound clips on the internet or in real life, there are variables that can widely impact the sound. I would say the character of the Remus exhaust changes by a huge degree depending on a number of factors.

1. Cold start up - sounds super loud, rattlely, and unrefined - this is true of ANY exhaust I've heard on the F8x platform. This goes away after about 30 seconds, or with valves closed, is significantly reduced.

2. Overall sound volume - much louder in the first 1-2 minutes, then the exhaust settles down a bit and is not quite as loud. Once settled down, it is noticeably louder than stock, but very reasonable considering there are no secondary cats or resonators.

3. Drone - Frankly, I don't find the Remus exhaust to drone at all... but then again, I didn't find the stock exhaust to have any drone either w/ valves fully open whereas a few people on this forum have complained about that. I like hearing the exhaust all the time and having the option of completely quieting it w/ valves closed. IMO, valves open on the Remus doesn't drone at freeway speeds. If you think it does, close the valves, then for sure there's no drone.

4. Time, mileage and break in - I've only had the exhaust for a week and about 1-200 miles of driving. I fully expect the exhaust to get noticeably louder over the next 2-3K miles, just like w/ my stock exhaust.

5. Active Sound - I have mine completely coded off. All of my impressions are w/ it off. I hate active sound, especially w/ my aftermarket stereo, so I don't know how the Remus would sound in conjunction w/ AS. IMO, AS sounds 1000x worse than any perceived drone in the car.

Regardless of what exhaust you get, I would definitely recommend getting something to control the exhaust valves so add that to your budget. I still like the BMS can flap controller because it's plug and play (no cutting or splicing of wires at all), fully reversible, works reliably so far, actually has extra features - you can control exhaust valves AND also deactivate the active sound and change the brightness of your halos, etc. Definitely some very useful features.
Great review. Everyone's that heard/seen the Remus in person has really been impressed with the build quality and sound, it's an awesome exhaust at a fair price.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 01:11 AM   #7
caliM4
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Great review. Everyone's that heard/seen the Remus in person has really been impressed with the build quality and sound, it's an awesome exhaust at a fair price.
Hey Tom. I bought the Remus but my actuators don't line up for some reason. How do I reset the actuators so they line up again. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 02:18 AM   #8
Bryant@TMB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
+1 for the Remus exhaust! If you want aggressive, this is the exahust for you. We can help with install as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliM4 View Post
Hey Tom. I bought the Remus but my actuators don't line up for some reason. How do I reset the actuators so they line up again. Thanks.
Drop by and I can check it out - there it a sweep test that can be performed to reinitialize the valves.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Remus exhaust for the F8x is a very popular option, probably the most popular one for us. As mentioned above it is a high quality product that offers a very aggressive sound without being obnoxious. In my opinion the catback exhaust exhaust offers the perfect balance for a an aggressive daily driver.
If you are looking for a quieter sound, Remus Axle back is a good option as well.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

What made you pass on the AWE? I'm leaning more towards AWE at this point because of pricing and the high praise from owners but I really like the CF Remus exhaust tips
      05-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
What made you pass on the AWE? I'm leaning more towards AWE at this point because of pricing and the high praise from owners but I really like the CF Remus exhaust tips
I really liked the straight cut black tips of the Remus exhaust. I have an AW M3 with black and CF accents. Just added the CF m-perf rear spoiler and I felt the gloss black 98mm tips looked better than the black chrome tips of AWE.

Given the fact that both were cat back, both are valved and would be running basically a straight pipe from cat back, I assumed both would sound fairly similar. So, I went for Remus. Another benefit is Remus can be configured with muffler only so you can still pass CA emissions w/ stock secondary cats and resonator in place by just bolting back in the mid pipe. I plan on keeping my car for a while and wanted the option of more easily dealing with emissions issues. Still not a big hassle w/ AWE either as you can just bolt back in the stock exhaust - assuming you were able to keep or store it somewhere. With my stock exhaust cut, it was easily transportable and stored at home.

Can't go wrong w/ either system though as build quality, sound quality, etc. are both top notch. Really these two exhaust systems are the best deals going for true cat back, no-cutting required, exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Remus exhaust for the F8x is a very popular option, probably the most popular one for us. As mentioned above it is a high quality product that offers a very aggressive sound without being obnoxious. In my opinion the catback exhaust exhaust offers the perfect balance for a an aggressive daily driver.
If you are looking for a quieter sound, Remus Axle back is a good option as well.
Hey Mike - Thanks for your help. I wanted to buy from you but went w/ a local vendor as my regular mechanic wouldn't do the install and I needed to find a good, mod-friendly shop.

Another great thing about going w/ the Remus axle back is, if it's not loud enough, you can always just buy and add the mid-pipe later.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #14
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

One last thing - if you like 102mm chrome, slant cut tips, I believe Remus comes w/ those tips as standard. You only have to pay a little more for the 98mm straight cut brushed silver or black tips or the carbon fiber tips.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Hey Mike - Thanks for your help. I wanted to buy from you but went w/ a local vendor as my regular mechanic wouldn't do the install and I needed to find a good, mod-friendly shop.

Another great thing about going w/ the Remus axle back is, if it's not loud enough, you can always just buy and add the mid-pipe later.
No worries, glad you are happy with the exhaust

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #16
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

or add the Macht Schnell EVC module to control the exhaust valves.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #17
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
or add the Macht Schnell EVC module to control the exhaust valves.
Totally agree that valve control is critical for any of these exhausts... Of course once you hear how awesome the car sounds, valves end up being kept open 100% of the time anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 05:22 AM   #18
skate0518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46-E85-E92-F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremepower View Post
A quick video of the remus exhaust. Video was pretty rushed, so please excuse the quality

just saw you guys post it ! Now sounds better after 1 week !
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #19
pacmansilva
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Would the Remus downpipe back exhausts fit with Akra downpipes? How loud would it be with downpipes + these nonresonated ones? Would it be too loud for most?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #20
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmansilva View Post
Would the Remus downpipe back exhausts fit with Akra downpipes? How loud would it be with downpipes + these nonresonated ones? Would it be too loud for most?
The exhaust valves can account for noise control - it sounds awesome both open and closed. Wit hthe EVC module, you can turn on/off the valves at the touch of a button.

No problem on the Akra downpips with Remus. Fits perfectly.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #21
F80 M Freak
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 m3

Quote:

Hi, are you experiencing any drones fromt he Remus? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #22
F80 M Freak
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 m3

one more question, how much less does the Remus cat back system weights?
Appreciate 0