ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-18-2020, 02:31 AM   #1
WESTCOASTTRADING
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Coupe

Oil change interval still shows in 10k due after driving 1k miles

I just had oil change service at dealership and it was showing 10k interval for oil change due.
Now I drove almost 1k and still shows 10k. it hasn't been reduced at all.
Is something wrong with this?
anyone with similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

The estimate will decrement in 1000 mile steps. It will not count down exact miles. Also, I feel required to chime in that 10k miles is too long between changes lol.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

^ what he said. Once you get down to 500 miles or so the interval will change more often but before that it only moves in 1k mile increments. Also, its not mile for mile for 10k miles meaning it will take into account driving habits, fuel consumption, trip duration, etc. So if you drive 2k miles cursing down hill with the wind at your back and light throttle the interval may not change at all and still say 10k miles until next service. But if you go straight to the race track and put 500 miles of hard driving on the car it may tick down to 9k miles even though you have driven less than 1k miles since your last service.

You can read more about condition based service in your owners manual.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
^ what he said. Once you get down to 500 miles or so the interval will change more often but before that it only moves in 1k mile increments. Also, its not mile for mile for 10k miles meaning it will take into account driving habits, fuel consumption, trip duration, etc. So if you drive 2k miles cursing down hill with the wind at your back and light throttle the interval may not change at all and still say 10k miles until next service. But if you go straight to the race track and put 500 miles of hard driving on the car it may tick down to 9k miles even though you have driven less than 1k miles since your last service.

I feel like it doesn't really account for driving habits. I drive in stop and go all the time and it still reads X miles until next service. The X miles drop as I drive more miles, and it doesn't instantly drop further due to the stop and go and gas mashing I do.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:

I feel like it doesn't really account for driving habits. I drive in stop and go all the time and it still reads X miles until next service. The X miles drop as I drive more miles, and it doesn't instantly drop further due to the stop and go and gas mashing I do.
It does account for driving conditions. You are not going to see it drop in real time by mashing the gas lol.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

I have a fuzzy recollection that "condition" is really just based on fuel use, and it does not consider short drive cycles vs long drives at temp.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
WESTCOASTTRADING
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Coupe

Quote:

I get it, I was literally driving like grandma, super easy on the throttle for 1k miles the clock went down by 100 miles, now it's showing 9900 lol
Appreciate 0