Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

06-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #67
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondula View Post
Thanks for all the supportive comments, It means a lot.

stupid comments are to always be expected on public forums, but not to the extent accusing me that I would make all this up and to make fun of my wife and I in our situation.
Public relations FAIL extraordinaire by BMW.

Accentuated by embarrassing commentary here on Bimmerpost.

You are owed some deep, serious apologies.

Hopefully you can look back on this experience as a time of bonding with your wife -- something akin to our ancestors being stuck between a rock and hard place.

Truly best wishes for BMW to get this sorted out properly for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #68
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Public relations FAIL extraordinaire by BMW.

Accentuated by embarrassing commentary here on Bimmerpost.

You are owed some deep, serious apologies.

Hopefully you can look back on this experience as a time of bonding with your wife -- something akin to our ancestors being stuck between a rock and hard place.

Truly best wishes for BMW to get this sorted out properly for you.
thank you so much for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #69
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
No problem Sir.

His update reveals that it's much more serious than a software issue. BMW is replacing the transfer case, but we're still trying to get clarification on whether that's referring to the rear diff/LSD or the transmission itself. I remember SMG II had issues too (..limp mode, not going into gear, etc.).
It is deff a prob with the transmission. It was stuck in park, any time I place it in any other gear, it would after 2 sec click back into park.. It seems to be a safety feature in dct bmw's to prevent further damage to the car.

There was a little fluid on the ground under the car near the front tires in the center. It was not leaking when I looked, but the ground was wet in a small area. Not sure what that means..

I have heard BMW replaced the entire DCT, they offer no repair.

I have no idea what the Transfer case entails, but apparently its expensive enough that my dealer has to get permission from BMW HQ to get the parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #70
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Can anyone explain what a transfer case is for a rear wheel drive car? I wonder if they are misusing that term.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #71
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
It is deff a prob with the transmission. It was stuck in park, any time I place it in any other gear, it would after 2 sec click back into park.. It seems to be a safety feature in dct bmw's to prevent further damage to the car.

There was a little fluid on the ground under the car near the front tires in the center. It was not leaking when I looked, but the ground was wet in a small area. Not sure what that means..

I have no idea what the Transfer case entails, but apparently its expensive enough that my dealer has to get permission from BMW HQ to get the parts.
Unless you confirmed it to be oil, the wet in that location is probably just condensation from the AC. Approval from BMW HQ is as I understand it pretty much standard procedure for warranty claims that isn't already in the database for a specific model of car. Thanks for the update btw.

It would be good to know what they mean with "Transfer case" on your car though.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #72
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

Thanks for the update. I know you'll keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #73
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Man this completely sucks on every level. I hope BMW takes care of you and answers your concerns about customer service BS.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #74
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:

Hopefully they have an M4 loaner. Probably too much to ask. Hopefully they step-up and make it right.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #75
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
M5 had an issue like this when it launched although no actual damage to the car. Software update fixed it. Happened to me on my first M5, M5 CP though has been bullet proof.

I was seriously spanking an M3 round the track yesterday, as were a number of others, none of them had any problems so hopefully this is a one off.

I am sure BMW will take good care of you.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #76
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

If they need to replace the transfer case (obviously we still have questions exactly what that means), it seems to me this is little beyond just a SW update.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #77
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Don, what a horrific ordeal, after reading your detailed account of the evening I can only add that I'm glad you both finally got some help and hope others never have to go through what you did.

BMWNA owes you big, stay on them, make the calls, write the letters and do not give up. Not to mention the car returned back to you in 100% working order.
      06-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #78
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
If they need to replace the transfer case (obviously we still have questions exactly what that means), it seems to me this is little beyond just a SW update.
agreed, but just noting its not the first time this has happened.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #79
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

This really sucks that the car is so bad off. I would ask to speak to the area BMW rep about the possibility of an exchange. Even if they won't exchange the car you have brought it to his attention and it could help with getting the issue resolved quicker? What break in method were you following? This M4 will be my first BMW and DCT. Is this a known issue being that these parts are on other cars?

Sorry for your troubles!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #80
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by accce View Post
This really sucks that the car is so bad off. I would ask to speak to the area BMW rep about the possibility of an exchange. Even if they won't exchange the car you have brought it to his attention and it could help with getting the issue resolved quicker? What break in method were you following? This M4 will be my first BMW and DCT. Is this a known issue being that these parts are on other cars?

Sorry for your troubles!
Can you invoke the lemon law?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #81
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

We know technology will eventually fail but customer service should never fail you. sorry you had to experience this bro. Hopefully BMW is tracking this thread and will get you some real help and relief.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #82
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Can you invoke the lemon law?
For one malfunction? Not just no, but hell no.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #83
kdphan
Captain
Rep
Drives: everything is gone!

wow really sucks to have this happen at 400miles on the ODO

OP - i would just ignore some of the stupid comments on this site.

Hopefully BMW comes through.

I'm afraid to get into a new M4/M235i due to all these "software" issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #84
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
For one malfunction? Not just no, but hell no.
I actually don't know anything about the Lemon Law but if there's peeps on here speculating about $13k+ in repairs, that doesn't seem like a pretty bad malfunction to me. At what point does lemon law come into play?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #85
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I actually don't know anything about the Lemon Law but if there's peeps on here speculating about $13k+ in repairs, that doesn't seem like a pretty bad malfunction to me. At what point does lemon law come into play?
usually after 3 attempts to fix the same concern in 30 days
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #86
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

Why I'm reluctant to buy another car with DCT...

Unlike the OP I called CAA right away when I split the pan on my DCT in March (2010 M3 coupe). We couldn't put it on the flatbed because it kept moving back to park. A second CAA guy came along and said that the interlock release on the DCT wouldn't work from MY 2010 on. A third guy showed up with a wrecker and very carefully towed me in to the dealer.

Parts from Germany were 3-1/2 weeks. To add insult to injury the dealer couldn't get the car out of park and charged me for two tows to move the car around!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #87
purdyawesome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3, 2014 F15 X5

Just a small, perhaps worthless suggestion- whenever I buy a new car, I make sure I have my salesperson's personal cell phone number. A direct line to the person that sold you the car may seem useless- but I can think of two occasions- one with MB and one with Infiniti- where I dialed the guy direct with issues shorty after purchase. Perhaps calling the salesmen would have helped- or not.... Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #88
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyawesome View Post
Just a small, perhaps worthless suggestion- whenever I buy a new car, I make sure I have my salesperson's personal cell phone number. A direct line to the person that sold you the car may seem useless- but I can think of two occasions- one with MB and one with Infiniti- where I dialed the guy direct with issues shorty after purchase. Perhaps calling the salesmen would have helped- or not.... Just a thought.
This is true. The salesmen can be your biggest advocates if they believe you will buy another car from them or refer people to them for more sales.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread