Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #23
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsity View Post
Do we know whether ride height is lowered with AMS? Is the description largely the same as that on the regular 4er?
This option will not lower the ride height. For the F3x, the ride height is lowered by 10mm when you select either the adaptive suspension or the passive sport suspension. The standard F8x suspension is already lowered - possibly by even more than 10mm vs. the standard F3x suspension.

I agree with you on the complexity point, by the way. It's not that I don't think it will last or be reliable, or even that it's not worth the $900. I just don't feel like I will ever change the setting for one thing (as others here have already mentioned), and additionally for me the passive suspension has served me just fine in my past and current M3s, so I have no real desire to switch.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #24
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

I'm sure you all probably know this but it comes standard on the UK car.
      02-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #25
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Not if you're going coilover later. But it is good for the city. Used to always change them around. Now with kw cs the edc connectors are sitting in a box in storage. And i just click the edc error message everytime i drive.
Not unless your lowering with springs right? That is my plan.
Thats even worse than stock. Millions put into r&d and wasted to "look good"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #26
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
yep. worse handling and ride quality

makes zero sense to me, but....
      02-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #27
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:
yep. worse handling and ride quality

makes zero sense to me, but....
Gotta look good i guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #28
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
This option will not lower the ride height. For the F3x, the ride height is lowered by 10cm when you select either the adaptive suspension or the passive sport suspension. The standard F8x suspension is already lowered - possibly by even more than 10cm vs. the standard F3x suspension.

I agree with you on the complexity point, by the way. It's not that I don't think it will last or be reliable, or even that it's not worth the $900. I just don't feel like I will ever change the setting for one thing (as others here have already mentioned), and additionally for me the passive suspension has served me just fine in my past and current M3s, so I have no real desire to switch.
That should be mm not cm.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #29
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I'm on the fence on this option. The benefit is that damping is adjustable on the fly. The drawback is that it's added complexity, electronics, weight, and cost.

I just want the suspension which allows maximum adjustability and alignment options, and minimum understeer. It's not clear to me whether Adaptive M Suspension fits that criteria.

Do we know whether ride height is lowered with AMS? Is the description largely the same as that on the regular 4er?
this

im still debating
      02-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #30
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Quote:
I'm on the fence on this option. The benefit is that damping is adjustable on the fly. The drawback is that it's added complexity, electronics, weight, and cost.

I just want the suspension which allows maximum adjustability and alignment options, and minimum understeer. It's not clear to me whether Adaptive M Suspension fits that criteria.

this

im still debating
As most things, it is all about personal use and preferences.

For me it is a clear option that I want. What I enjoy the most about the M3 is that is a jack of all trades, it does everything very well. The EDC (or AMS now on the F8X) accentuates that aspect by having a comfortable daily driver and a sharp/stiffer car for the spirited drive or for the track. Further, the roads where I live are in pretty bad shape, it is got to have that softer setting. I have my default setting with most parameters on comfort and my M-Mode setting with everything dialled up. It gives a strong dual personality to the car when M-mode is engaged and EDC contributes to that.

The system does not add that much weight as is not that complex (electronically and mechanically simple, but complex to program well). It has proven perfectly reliable on my E92 M3 for 6 years.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-11-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #31
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I agree with what others have said. It IS a bit of a no-brianer, but then again, like some, I tend to 'just set it and forget it'.

I'm also a bit curious as to the actual mechanism of how it works (I have no idea how it works on the current M), and if there will be potential long-term reliability issues from a more complicated mechanism.

But, yeah, 99% I'm getting it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #32
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Gotta look good i guess.
The front gap is ugly, not sure why BMW feels like they have to leave huge gaps when Audi and MB are pretty low to start with.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #33
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
That should be mm not cm.
Doh! Believe it or not, I had previously typed 1mm. I changed it from wrong to wronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indus View Post
I'm sure you all probably know this but it comes standard on the UK car.
Indeed. But it is optional in Canada, and right now it looks like it will be an option in the US as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I'm also a bit curious as to the actual mechanism of how it works (I have no idea how it works on the current M), and if there will be potential long-term reliability issues from a more complicated mechanism.
Funny you should ask:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942225
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #34
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
I believe the stock springs are Eibach. If you put in aftermarket springs from Eibach they would still know all about the R&D

I agree springs make your car ride like hammered ass. I probably won't get this option with the plan to put some KW on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #35
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa
Quote:
Gotta look good i guess.
The front gap is ugly, not sure why BMW feels like they have to leave huge gaps when Audi and MB are pretty low to start with.
For a balance of comfort and performance?

You know the second they make it low and stiffer ppl will complain on here lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #36
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:
I believe the stock springs are Eibach. If you put in aftermarket springs from Eibach they would still know all about the R&D

I agree springs make your car ride like hammered ass. I probably won't get this option with the plan to put some KW on the car.
I dont necessarily agree as bmw would do the testing and eibach would supply the parts. And eibach wouldnt know the damper settings.

But like you i would pass for some kw. It actually rides better than the stiff setting as in over bumps it doesnt jolt the car around but rather soaks it in. Its amazing. Should come this way!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #37
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
This option will not lower the ride height. For the F3x, the ride height is lowered by 10mm when you select either the adaptive suspension or the passive sport suspension. The standard F8x suspension is already lowered - possibly by even more than 10mm vs. the standard F3x suspension.

this

I know that if I ever did get this option, I would never adjust the suspension after I have set it to the sport mode (or whatever it's called).. so I will most likely not get this option
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #38
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

I'll be honest....

.....I'm opting for it mainly for the buttons.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #39
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'll be honest....

Ha!

I'm the opposite on that. I would opt for a console-button-delete package if I could (I guess that would really be M Driving Dynamics Control delete). The two M buttons on the steering wheel are all I will ever need, and even those might be superfluous if the new MDrive has the ability to program Drivelogic (and perhaps DSC, if I decide to make MDM my goto mode for that) settings to the key for startup defaults. Unfortunately, I have a feeling it won't, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #40
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
I'll be honest....

Yep.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #41
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Ha!

I'm the opposite on that. I would opt for a console-button-delete package if I could (I guess that would really be M Driving Dynamics Control delete). The two M buttons on the steering wheel are all I will ever need, and even those might be superfluous if the new MDrive has the ability to program Drivelogic (and perhaps DSC, if I decide to make MDM my goto mode for that) settings to the key for startup defaults. Unfortunately, I have a feeling it won't, but we'll see.

I need that auto rev matching feature deleted please. Thanks BMW!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #42
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
I'll be honest....

Empty button slot for NOS buttons!!!!

(Joke)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #43
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Empty button slot for NOS buttons!!!!

(Joke)
...and retractable wheel mounted tire spikes.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #44
TheDeliverator
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A Singularity

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
...I agree with you on the complexity point, by the way. It's not that I don't think it will last or be reliable, or even that it's not worth the $900. I just don't feel like I will ever change the setting for one thing (as others here have already mentioned), and additionally for me the passive suspension has served me just fine in my past and current M3s, so I have no real desire to switch.
This may be a difficult comparison due to not knowing how stiff the standard suspension was on the e9x M's compared to the ZCP, but...

When I was in Amsterdam, the car would scrape the bottom of the front lip leaving the hotel's driveway, on all but the stiffest setting (even going under 1 mph). Granted (as mentioned), I don't know how stiff the standard passive suspension is but if it's less stiff than the Sport it may not prevent scraping.

V1C / Bel STiR+ / Integrated mirror display / AD08r f255/35 r275/35
/ IND Euro Bumper / MP Splitters / MP Steering Wheel

Last edited by TheDeliverator; 02-11-2014 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0