BPM
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #67
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2069
Rep
36,521
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I am really tired of my RS29s, they fade when pushing the car at an advanced level. We need PFC to hurry up and release 08's for this caliper.
If you are experiencing fade with the RS29, I am not sure if the PFC08 will fair any better? Are you ducting any air to your front brakes? Perhaps upgrade to a two-piece floating rotor with better vane design?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #68
bd307
Chef
bd307's Avatar
581
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Noob question.

Drove on track with the OEM pads. After the event driving on the street, the steering and brakes shake when braking around 40 mph so obviously something is not right on the rotors and pads.

Are there residuals left on the rotors from these OEM pads that I am supposed to clean them out with a few heavy braking on the streets or just driving normally for few weeks and the residuals would be gone?

I do not believe the rotors could be wrapped so quickly.

Considering RS29 with the next outing.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 04:55 PM   #69
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2069
Rep
36,521
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Noob question.

Drove on track with the OEM pads. After the event driving on the street, the steering and brakes shake when braking around 40 mph so obviously something is not right on the rotors and pads.

Are there residuals left on the rotors from these OEM pads that I am supposed to clean them out with a few heavy braking on the streets or just driving normally for few weeks and the residuals would be gone?

I do not believe the rotors could be wrapped so quickly.

Considering RS29 with the next outing.
You may have exceeded the operating temp of the OEM pads and left some deposit on the rotors. How do the rotors look? Do you see any uneven spot, may look like the pad material has smeared over?

You can either remove the rotors and have the machined(just a few thousands will usually do it) or a cold track pad(depending on the compound) may be abrasive enough to clean the surface .

Did you do a cool down lap?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #70
bd307
Chef
bd307's Avatar
581
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
You may have exceeded the operating temp of the OEM pads and left some deposit on the rotors. How do the rotors look? Do you see any uneven spot, may look like the pad material has smeared over?

You can either remove the rotors and have the machined(just a few thousands will usually do it) or a cold track pad(depending on the compound) may be abrasive enough to clean the surface .

Did you do a cool down lap?
Here is how one of them look. I guess this is called uneven.



I always do a cool down lap end of each session plus few minutes of poddock driving without touching the brakes.

Would the RS29 be able to "smooth" these out with some cold driving?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #71
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2069
Rep
36,521
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

I do see some deposits on your rotors. It's definitely from overheating or the OEM pads. Unfortunately a cool down lap or even two would help with the deposits. RS29 will have much higher maximum operating temperatures and pad deposit will be unlikely. In addition, when the pads are cold, they are slightly more abrasive to help clean the rotor up on your return trip from the track and ready for OEM pads reinstallation.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #72
stonecliff
Private First Class
15
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 Volvo XC90 R  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Would the RS29 be able to "smooth" these out with some cold driving?
Very likely. While I haven't tried to clean up a rotor with the RS29, in my experience the RS29 does a nice job cleaning up deposits on the way home from the track and I suspect it would do so here too.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #73
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2069
Rep
36,521
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecliff View Post
Very likely. While I haven't tried to clean up a rotor with the RS29, in my experience the RS29 does a nice job cleaning up deposits on the way home from the track and I suspect it would do so here too.
Yes, track pads tend to be more abrasive when cold and the RS29 is no exception. A few applications of the brakes when cold should remove most deposits.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #74
bd307
Chef
bd307's Avatar
581
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys. Now come the decision of which pads to go with.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #75
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canuckles's Avatar
Canada
85
Rep
315
Posts

Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: British Columbia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Noob question.

Drove on track with the OEM pads. After the event driving on the street, the steering and brakes shake when braking around 40 mph so obviously something is not right on the rotors and pads.

Are there residuals left on the rotors from these OEM pads that I am supposed to clean them out with a few heavy braking on the streets or just driving normally for few weeks and the residuals would be gone?

I do not believe the rotors could be wrapped so quickly.

Considering RS29 with the next outing.
FYI

I had several track days in 2016 and was just told during my last servicing that my brakes are warped. I had awful shake after my track days, which subsided somewhat. But the shake or pulsating feeling, particularly when coming to a stop, has never gone away.

My initial thought was pad deposits and it certainly is a contributing factor. Just make sure you do not exceed thermal limits.

I am yet to test new pads but will for this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #76
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2069
Rep
36,521
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckles View Post
FYI

I had several track days in 2016 and was just told during my last servicing that my brakes are warped. I had awful shake after my track days, which subsided somewhat. But the shake or pulsating feeling, particularly when coming to a stop, has never gone away.

My initial thought was pad deposits and it certainly is a contributing factor. Just make sure you do not exceed thermal limits.

I am yet to test new pads but will for this year.
You were using OEM pads? If you can see pad deposits, you want to clean that off right away, either with a set of abrasive brake pads, machine the rotors or HD scotch brite cleaning pad/steel wool/sandpaper. The longer that deposit sits on the surface the more likely chance they will cause judder. Your rotors still could be perfectly true.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 12:27 AM   #77
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9063
Rep
15,462
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckles View Post
FYI

I had several track days in 2016 and was just told during my last servicing that my brakes are warped. I had awful shake after my track days, which subsided somewhat. But the shake or pulsating feeling, particularly when coming to a stop, has never gone away.

My initial thought was pad deposits and it certainly is a contributing factor. Just make sure you do not exceed thermal limits.

I am yet to test new pads but will for this year.
a little and you'll find plenty of threads on the topic.

Your rotors are very unlikely warped. Rotors as sturdy as the ones found on the F8X just don't warped that easily. You most probably only have uneven pad deposit on your rotors, despite what your BMW service guy is telling you. Most BMW service personnel are clueless regarding pad deposit and uneven pad deposits present the exact same diagnostic symptoms as warped rotors. I am in very good terms with my service manager at my dealer, and he had never heard about uneven pad deposit until I told him about it. A few weeks of regular street driving will eventually wear off the uneven deposit. This can be accelerated by using a more abrasive track pad on the street.

Don't just take our word for it, read this excellent article by Stoptech: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #78
bd307
Chef
bd307's Avatar
581
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
a little and you'll find plenty of threads on the topic.

Your rotors are very unlikely warped. Rotors as sturdy as the ones found on the F8X just don't warped that easily. You most probably only have uneven pad deposit on your rotors, despite what your BMW service guy is telling you. Most BMW service personnel are clueless regarding pad deposit and uneven pad deposits present the exact same diagnostic symptoms as warped rotors. I am in very good terms with my service manager at my dealer, and he had never heard about uneven pad deposit until I told him about it. A few weeks of regular street driving will eventually wear off the uneven deposit. This can be accelerated by using a more abrasive track pad on the street.

Don't just take our word for it, read this excellent article by Stoptech: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
I just ordered a set of RS29. Should arrive this week and will be installing it this weekend.

With the RS29 installed, should I just drive it slowly and let the abrasive pads to clean up the deposits from my oem pads then do the bed-in or do I just go to do the bed-in for the RS29 right away? Not sure if it matters though.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #79
Cajun1
Private First Class
Cajun1's Avatar
41
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: M4!
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orange, CA

iTrader: (0)

My situation with OEM pads was similar to yours and the Pagid's helped clean the rotors. I did not bed them but did drive for 300 miles to a track event which seemed to improve the situation. Bedding happened during my first session and pedal feel improved as the day progressed. I'm back to OEM pads now and happy with the outcome. It's probably not quite as smooth as day one but acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 05:12 PM   #80
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9063
Rep
15,462
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
I just ordered a set of RS29. Should arrive this week and will be installing it this weekend.

With the RS29 installed, should I just drive it slowly and let the abrasive pads to clean up the deposits from my oem pads then do the bed-in or do I just go to do the bed-in for the RS29 right away? Not sure if it matters though.
Yes, absolutely ensure you have no more uneven pad deposit before you bed the RS29. Otherwise, you'll just end-up with an uneven RS29 bedded layer.
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #81
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2069
Rep
36,521
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Yes, absolutely ensure you have no more uneven pad deposit before you bed the RS29. Otherwise, you'll just end-up with an uneven RS29 bedded layer.
Clean surface is the key. Most brake vibration complaints are from uneven deposits of pad material.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #82
bd307
Chef
bd307's Avatar
581
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

I think I read CanAutM3 daily his set of RS29.

Who else daily their RS29 or am I crazy? How's the life of the rotors thus far for those who daily their RS29?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #83
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9063
Rep
15,462
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
I think I read CanAutM3 daily his set of RS29.

Who else daily their RS29 or am I crazy? How's the life of the rotors thus far for those who daily their RS29?
Yes, I daily the RS29 in the summer. They are quite livable despite the occasional peep and the slap in forward-reverse transitions.

As for rotor wear, I end-up having to replace the rotors because of excessive cracks before they get too thin. So it is not really an issue.
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 1
bd307580.50

      02-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #84
bd307
Chef
bd307's Avatar
581
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Yes, I daily the RS29 in the summer. They are quite livable despite the occasional peep and the slap in forward-reverse transitions.

As for rotor wear, I end-up having to replace the rotors because of excessive cracks before they get too thin. So it is not really an issue.
Thanks. What caused the cracks in the rotors?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #85
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9063
Rep
15,462
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Thanks. What caused the cracks in the rotors?
Heat stress from extensive track use. Perfectly normal
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #86
Lojs
Lieutenant
Lojs's Avatar
Germany
220
Rep
482
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Berlin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Thanks. What caused the cracks in the rotors?
Heat stress from extensive track use. Perfectly normal
Do you have a picture? What do you consider excessive?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #87
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
9063
Rep
15,462
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojs View Post
Do you have a picture? What do you consider excessive?
When I have a crack that interconnects two cross drill holes or one that extend to the outer edge of the rotor, it is the signal to replace.
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #88
wigaster
First Lieutenant
wigaster's Avatar
220
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 AW 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
I think I read CanAutM3 daily his set of RS29.

Who else daily their RS29 or am I crazy? How's the life of the rotors thus far for those who daily their RS29?
Ummm you can daily your RS29s if you don't mind sounding like a school bus when you drive around. You can put all the anti-squeal paste you want it won't matter. I can't wait to take my RS29s off after track days.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST