Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #2223
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOR View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I'm actually leaning towards MPHAS. I assume that a full coil-over system will give better results, but having the suspension under warranty is more important in my opinion. I got a dedicated track set of HRE wheels 18x10 ET25 and will be running a square setup with 275/35 NT01 tires to be able to rotate them. How much was the installation for you? Is the bodyroll and overall stability improved with MPHAS compared to stock ZCP? And do I really need those camber plates? I'm assuming to have 12-15 track days per season.
I already replied to most of your queries in the PM you sent me. It seems like you'll keep on asking until you get the answer you want . If you've already made up your mind, just do it .

As I replied in the PM: camber plates are a must, especially with 12-15 track days per year and with NT01; lowering springs or coilovers certainly are not.

No one has been able to confirm the spring rates of the MP-HAS thus far. However, the consensus seems to be that they have the same rates as the CP springs. The improved grip and reduced roll is the result of the lowered center of gravity that results less weight transfer.
Can't comment on spring rates but after driving stock ZCP suspension vs MPHAS back to back on COTA the MPHAS was much better by being more planted with way less body roll. If the spring rates are the same the improvements must be either from the lowered stance/lower center of gravity or that the suspension simply has less room to travel.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #2224
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Can't comment on spring rates but after driving stock ZCP suspension vs MPHAS back to back on COTA the MPHAS was much better by being more planted with way less body roll. If the spring rates are the same the improvements must be either from the lowered stance/lower center of gravity or that the suspension simply has less room to travel.
Answer: lower center of gravity

If it were because of reduced suspension travel, it would translate in a very choppy ride as the suspension would be constantly riding on the bump stops.
      01-05-2019, 09:48 PM   #2225
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
So you installed the MPHAS on an otherwise stock ZCP?

If so, how has your experience been on real world roads?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #2226
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Quote:
So you installed the MPHAS on an otherwise stock ZCP?

If so, how has your experience been on real world roads?
The BMW M Trackdays has both stock ZCP and a few MPHAS cars during the event. Lucky folks snag up the M performance upgraded cars.

I'm pretty happy with my car's ride but I upgraded a bunch of things as soon as the break in service was done so I can't really give a comparison between it before and after.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #2227
dinonz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

I'm having the MP HAS installed next Wednesday - and gotchas or "while you're in there" things I should be aware of?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #2228
gman_newyork
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I'm having the MP HAS installed next Wednesday - and gotchas or "while you're in there" things I should be aware of?
There should be no issues. Pretty straightforward install. The only thing that I would recommend is that you have the dealership set them to BMW recommended heights and once the car "settles" you can adjust from there. You will also want a 4 wheel alignment. I had mine done after the installation and then took it back two weeks later for them to double check the alignment after the car settled.

I came from a non EDC car and I felt an immediate difference in the ride. It's much smoother, feels more planted, improved handling (due to lower center of gravity) and that awful front wheel well gap is gone. Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #2229
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ask them to apply beta link between the rear adjuster piece and the car so that it doesn't spin when attempting to adjust the height.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:11 AM   #2230
Mrbangis
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 GrigioTelesto

Would BMW void the warranty if for example it was installed by reputable shops that we know of in the forum?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:13 AM   #2231
Mrbangis
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 GrigioTelesto

Which dealerships in have you guys gone into in the SoCal area?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #2232
dinonz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman_newyork View Post
There should be no issues. Pretty straightforward install. The only thing that I would recommend is that you have the dealership set them to BMW recommended heights and once the car "settles" you can adjust from there. You will also want a 4 wheel alignment. I had mine done after the installation and then took it back two weeks later for them to double check the alignment after the car settled.

I came from a non EDC car and I felt an immediate difference in the ride. It's much smoother, feels more planted, improved handling (due to lower center of gravity) and that awful front wheel well gap is gone. Enjoy
Yeah - was planning on getting the recommended heights, and going back for a second alignment after adjusting them in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #2233
figure99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 - ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbangis View Post
Would BMW void the warranty if for example it was installed by reputable shops that we know of in the forum?
I know this was discussed & debated earlier in this thread... I believe the consensus was only the parts will be covered under warranty in that case (assuming you bought them from an authorized dealer/merchant). Labor will be covered as well if the dealer installs them.
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #2234
figure99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 - ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Ask them to apply beta link between the rear adjuster piece and the car so that it doesn't spin when attempting to adjust the height.
Definitely ask, but be prepared for them to say they will not do it since it's not explicitly stated within the install instructions from BMW. Hopefully you can convince them anyway... because it can be a royal PIA to adjust them without it. I need to adjust mine again, will probably borrow my friend's spring compressor just in case.
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #2235
mindspin311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I bought my kit second hand and will install myself. RIP warranty.
      01-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #2236
scott13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 | BSM | 6MT

The installation manual indicates that "in general the car must be upgraded to the latest I-level" prior to install. But is that necessary for a car with passive suspension? I'm having these put on next week and don't want to risk have my coding blown out by a flash upgrade unless it's really necessary. Can't think of any good reason why the flash would be necessary on a car without EDC???

Speaking of installing these on a car with passive suspension...anyone have any feedback on the before/after? Seems like many (most) have these on cars with EDC.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #2237
AMOR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott13 View Post
The installation manual indicates that "in general the car must be upgraded to the latest I-level" prior to install. But is that necessary for a car with passive suspension? I'm having these put on next week and don't want to risk have my coding blown out by a flash upgrade unless it's really necessary. Can't think of any good reason why the flash would be necessary on a car without EDC???

Speaking of installing these on a car with passive suspension...anyone have any feedback on the before/after? Seems like many (most) have these on cars with EDC.
If you don’t have EDC - better get coilovers. MPHAS makes more sense to retain damper control.
Appreciate 1
scott13207.00

01-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #2238
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:

In principle no, there’s no need to upgrade software on a non-EDC car.

MP-HAS were specifically designed for the EDC dampers. I recall reading folks that reported installing them on non-EDC with satisfactory results. However, as others have pointed out, if you’re going through the trouble, might as well get full coil overs and have the dampers matched to the springs.
scott13207.00

01-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #2239
scott13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOR View Post
If you don’t have EDC - better get coilovers. MPHAS makes more sense to retain damper control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
In principle no, there’s no need to upgrade software on a non-EDC car.

MP-HAS were specifically designed for the EDC dampers. I recall reading folks that reported installing them on non-EDC with satisfactory results. However, as others have pointed out, if you’re going through the trouble, might as well get full coil overs and have the dampers matched to the springs.
Thanks all for the info. I'm actually currently on coilovers, but am looking to try something new. Trust me...it's a long, frustrating story.

Anyways, I thought the MP HAS might be an interesting option to try out instead of rolling the dice with a different coilover kit. I guess I assumed the MP HAS springs would still be well suited for the non-EDC dampers. But maybe that wasn't a fair assumption? Guess I'm about to find out...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #2240
scott13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Regarding the optional/required hardware kit...

Many thanks to PushinRice for posting the parts list for the hardware kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushinRice View Post
These are the extra parts on my invoice from the install:

$68.88 with BMWCCA discount

But just in case there's anyone else out there with my level of OCD that likes to confirm that all the proper bits and pieces were shipped prior to install, here's a pic of what came in the kit I ordered. Looks like they only sent me 1 of the 2 gaskets, but I'm guessing I should be able to get the other one pretty easily.

---
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
rakusak120.00

01-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #2241
mindspin311
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Many thanks to PushinRice for posting the parts list for the hardware kit.

But just in case there's anyone else out there with my level of OCD that likes to confirm that all the proper bits and pieces were shipped prior to install, here's a pic of what came in the kit I ordered. Looks like they only sent me 1 of the 2 gaskets, but I'm guessing I should be able to get the other one pretty easily.

---
These are the supposed 1 time use bolts that need to be replaced?
      01-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #2242
scott13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
These are the supposed 1 time use bolts that need to be replaced?
Yep. To be very specific, this is the ~$65 bundled hardware kit from getbmwparts (Tischer BMW). I'm having my local shop do the install rather than my dealership, so figured it couldn't hurt to get the kit just in case they didn't have the parts on hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 03:32 AM   #2243
Ed_rx7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

Any spring rates for these?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #2244
mindspin311
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep. To be very specific, this is the ~$65 bundled hardware kit from getbmwparts (Tischer BMW). I'm having my local shop do the install rather than my dealership, so figured it couldn't hurt to get the kit just in case they didn't have the parts on hand.
Can you post a link? I can't seem to find it myself.