GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Stoptech 2-Piece Aero Brake Rotors for your F8x M3 M4

StopTech® AeroRotor® Replacement Kits (ARK) are designed to replace your vehicle's original factory rotors, while retaining the factory brake calipers. Although the ARK is the same diameter and thickness as the factory rotors, it offers improved cooling, braking, and handling.

The directional, floating AeroRotors allow independent expansion of the rotor and hat without "coning," thanks to elongated drive pin holes. ARK components include AeroRotor friction rings with patented internal vane design, pre-assembled to billet aluminium AeroHats with directional stand-offs that optimize cooling airflow.

The patented AeroRotor vane design pushes up to 80% more air than factory rotors for better cooling and reduced fade on the track.

The aircraft-grade aluminum hats and 2-piece AeroRotors are up to 8 pounds lighter than stock rotors, allowing faster acceleration and deceleration, and improved handling.

StopTech AeroRotors are available slotted or cross-drilled. These slots or holes allow better dissipation of heat, friction material and debris, assuring that fresh pad material is in contact with the rotor every time the brakes are applied. An optional anti-corrosion, zinc finish is available for customers in cold climates, where salt and chemicals are used to melt snow and ice. The zinc coating also benefits customers who prefer no visible surface rust on the vanes and outer circumference of the rotors.

StopTech AeroRotors are 100% made in the USA.

StopTech AeroRotor Rings

The patented 2-piece AeroRotor assembly uses uniquely designed and patented AeroVanes® inside the disc to optimize airflow through the rotor. This improved directional design minimizes turbulence and flows up to 61 percent more air than any other rotor tested. The result is up to 80 percent better airflow over original equipment rotors and 10-30 percent better airflow than other directional vane racing rotors currently available. Better airflow equals better cooling, and better cooling means less fade and better overall brake system performance.
StopTech AeroRotors also feature a proprietary alloy chemistry. By adding molybdenum to the gray iron, carefully targeting a narrow range of hardness and tensile strength values, and controlling the cooling rate of the rotor after casting, StopTech produces a friction ring with added crack resistance as well as improved functionality.

Super strong Inconel® drive pin washers - as used in aircraft engines and other racing applications - are practically impervious to oxidation or corrosion even at extreme temperatures.
Street rotors use a curved drive pin washer to add tension to the hat assembly, reducing rattle. Race applications use a flat washer that allows full freedom of movement between hat and friction ring.
StopTech AeroHats feature directional stand offs to further improve airflow and cool the rotor.

Elongated drive pin slots allow separate expansion of rotor and hat to resist coning.
Tapered slots allow evacuation of debris that might otherwise accumulate with straight-cut slots.
Drive pins used to affix the hat to the rotor have a slightly out-of-round hole and are self-locking. They withstand high temperatures much better than typical lock washers and allow drive pins to move freely, yet securely, as hat and rotor expand at different rates.

Drive Pins

In certain applications where packaging is an issue - such as on the Chevrolet Corvette - StopTech uses slant-head drive pins to provide improved clearance as pads wear.

Zinc Plating

Zinc Plating, available on StopTech AeroRotors, prevents corrosion. This is particularly useful in winter climates where road salt and other environmental factors may increase the likelihood of oxidation.

Front axle only

380 x 30 mm weighing in at 23.8 lbs.

For more information please go to the site below:

http://www.hpashop.com/Stoptech-Aero...h-Aero-F8x.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by HP Autosport; 08-06-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Sleeper
Rep
Drives: '16 MG F80

Nice. Between the Motons, the GIAC flash, and now replacement Stoptech rotors, it's been a decent start to the week!

I had very good experience on my track car with slotted Stoptech rotors. I would assume these would be equally good in both street and track applications.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Nice. Between the Motons, the GIAC flash, and now replacement Stoptech rotors, it's been a decent start to the week!

I had very good experience on my track car with slotted Stoptech rotors. I would assume these would be equally good in both street and track applications.
These have way better vane design to aid cooling and prevent fade. The two piece design allows the rotor and hat to expand independently. The assembly is also lighter than OEM to reduce unsprung weight and rotational mass.
Appreciate 2
davem3fan162.50

04-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
cw128
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Anyone know anywhere in the UK that I can buy these?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw128 View Post
Anyone know anywhere in the UK that I can buy these?
You can search Stoptech's site for UK dealers.

We can ship internationally as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 03:30 AM   #6
cw128
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
You can search Stoptech's site for UK dealers.

We can ship internationally as well.
Yeah I did try that but it said none found, which is odd as I know there are people selling stoptech kits here for other cars. Trying to avoid importing as it ends up costing a fortune in shipping and customs charges once it arrives in the UK
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:51 AM   #7
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw128 View Post
Yeah I did try that but it said none found, which is odd as I know there are people selling stoptech kits here for other cars. Trying to avoid importing as it ends up costing a fortune in shipping and customs charges once it arrives in the UK
I figure they will have the duty already added to what they sell across the pond.

US Postal Service shipping isn't bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep

Many of you asked about the actual photos of rotors because of the concern on the typical Stoptech BBK rotor annuls vs. the F8x rotor so here you go!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
J-rock4.50

05-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #9
baz171
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3 SS M Performance CF

Well a starting price of $1350 with out postage and import tax etc make these a straight no go for getting them to the UK.

As much as I'd love to have these, thats going to be the best part £1300. Stupid price for bells and rotors. M tax eat your heart out.

May as well go the whole hog and buy a BBK.
2014 F80 M3 / YMB / SS & CF interior / Black M437s / M Performance CF front splitters - CF boot lip - Electronic CF & alcantara steering wheel - CF & alcantara handbrake - YMB custom painted door cards & radio/CC surround - YMB custom painted engine cover
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #10
Dave 90TT
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

These are the same size as the stock rotors? In other words, do they work with 18" wheels, or not?
      05-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #11
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
These are the same size as the stock rotors? In other words, do they work with 18" wheels, or not?
Yes, these are the direct replacement for the stock rotors, but are lighter and stay much cooler under heavy usage.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #12
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz171 View Post
Well a starting price of $1350 with out postage and import tax etc make these a straight no go for getting them to the UK.

As much as I'd love to have these, thats going to be the best part £1300. Stupid price for bells and rotors. M tax eat your heart out.

May as well go the whole hog and buy a BBK.
Full blown BBK is $3695+ so these are at a fraction of the cost of a full BBK.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
Dave 90TT
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Yes, these are the direct replacement for the stock rotors, but are lighter and stay much cooler under heavy usage.
Lighter does imply less heat mass, so they might heat up faster. Something to think about.
      05-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #14
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Lighter does imply less heat mass, so they might heat up faster. Something to think about.
Weight savings are mostly in the hat area. The additional vanes and improved vane design are where head management is being done.

There are other benefits of having the two-piece design. Your wheel bearings will thank you for it later!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
baz171
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3 SS M Performance CF

Yes they are cheaper, not a faction of a BBK though. When you consider the BBK maybe be close to 3 times the price (Brembo GT kit is £3500 in UK) you have to look at the fact you get a top end set up with new 6 pot caliper and a much beefier rota at 34mm compared to 30mm thick. Oh and a set of pads.

It's a lot more than I can afford though :-(

But standard rotas and pad replacement can be had for $765 at the mo from GetBMWparts.

I can only feel that these Stoptech rotas will not last much longer or perform that much better than standard items given the same 30mm thickness. It's just not thick enough to support extreme high performance in the braking department.

Therefore at $1350 asking I don't think they hit the mark. Unless they come with a mileage guaranty and distortion warranty.
2014 F80 M3 / YMB / SS & CF interior / Black M437s / M Performance CF front splitters - CF boot lip - Electronic CF & alcantara steering wheel - CF & alcantara handbrake - YMB custom painted door cards & radio/CC surround - YMB custom painted engine cover
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #16
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz171 View Post
Yes they are cheaper, not a faction of a BBK though. When you consider the BBK maybe be close to 3 times the price (Brembo GT kit is £3500 in UK) you have to look at the fact you get a top end set up with new 6 pot caliper and a much beefier rota at 34mm compared to 30mm thick. Oh and a set of pads.

It's a lot more than I can afford though :-(

But standard rotas and pad replacement can be had for $765 at the mo from GetBMWparts.

I can only feel that these Stoptech rotas will not last much longer or perform that much better than standard items given the same 30mm thickness. It's just not thick enough to support extreme high performance in the braking department.

Therefore at $1350 asking I don't think they hit the mark. Unless they come with a mileage guaranty and distortion warranty.
Most people buying these rotors run track pads anyway so with a BBK they still need to add the price of pads on to of that. For comparison RS29 for the stock front caliper is $315, Stoptech is $432 and Brembo is a whopping $695.

Life is extended on both the pads and rotors when they are kept cooler.

I can't think of any BBK that has a manufacturer backed mileage and distortion warranty(only manufacturer defects), can you?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Thumbs up

Agreed^^ I'm so glad these clearly superior two piece floating rotors are available now for our F8X's as well! Realistically, with these now and good track pads and fluid you don't need a BBK $$$ at all for 99% of the tracks (and driving) one would undergo out there...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #18
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
Agreed^^ I'm so glad these clearly superior two piece floating rotors are available now for our F8X's as well! Realistically, with these now and good track pads and fluid you don't need a BBK $$$ at all for 99% of the tracks (and driving) one would undergo out there...
Right. There is always a few that compete or drive at a level that requires brakes beyond these two-piece rotor and race pads can offer. For the most of us, this is a fine upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #19
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep

Good feed backs on these rotors with Pagid RS29 pads!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #20
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Quote:
Good feed backs on these rotors with Pagid RS29 pads!
😊👍👍!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 07:50 AM   #21
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

What is the weight of the stop tech rotors? I can go weigh my OEMs to compare
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #22
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
What is the weight of the stop tech rotors? I can go weigh my OEMs to compare
23.8 each. That is also posted in the original post.
Appreciate 0