European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

12-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Is it OK to let dealers know who they are competing against?

I am working a deal rt now and one dealer is giving me a good MF but another one won't and they want to know the name of the dealership that is giving me the better MF. Is it dangerous to my deal(s) to let the dealers know who they are competing with?
      12-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
M2 Pilot
Private
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, c8 Corvette

I wouldn't. How could that possibly help your side of the negotiation?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Pilot View Post
I wouldn't. How could that possibly help your side of the negotiation?
Exactly my thoughts. Just checking
      12-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #4
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I think they’re calling bullshit that you actually have a real offer from a BMW franchised dealership for a better MF. Refusing to divulge it probably makes them doubt you and stand firmer on their best offer.

I’m curious, what’s the thought process on how this info would hurt your negotiations? The only thing i can come up with is, they might call the other dealership (or BMWNA?) to give them shit and try to get them to rescind/change terms but that (a) feels stupid to even type, and (b) is collusion, and against anti-trust law.

I’ve taken deal sheets that dealers give me - with full terms, dealer name, VIN, options, everything - and emailed them straight to competitors and asked them to beat the deal. I find that it greatly speeds up the negotiation process, whether i end up buying or walking.
Appreciate 3
mrmoua2u655.00
AIRHEIR443.50
minn1914034.50
      12-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #5
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

Not dangerous at all. I do it everytime I plan to buy a car. If they want to earn your business and make a sale then they beat the price, if not, move on. You're the one holding the money. 🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      12-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I think they're calling bullshit that you actually have a real offer from a BMW franchised dealership for a better MF. Refusing to divulge it probably makes them doubt you and stand firmer on their best offer.

I'm curious, what's the thought process on how this info would hurt your negotiations? The only thing i can come up with is, they might call the other dealership (or BMWNA?) to give them shit and try to get them to rescind/change terms but that (a) feels stupid to even type, and (b) is collusion, and against anti-trust law.

I've taken deal sheets that dealers give me - with full terms, dealer name, VIN, options, everything - and emailed them straight to competitors and asked them to beat the deal. I find that it greatly speeds up the negotiation process, whether i end up buying or walking.
Well said.
How would you expect a dealer to beat the price of another dealer if you have zero supporting documentation except your word?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve taken deal sheets that dealers give me - with full terms, dealer name, VIN, options, everything - and emailed them straight to competitors and asked them to beat the deal. I find that it greatly speeds up the negotiation process, whether i end up buying or walking.
I've done the same thing. I want them to know I'm aggressively looking for the best deal and if they can't beat a deal I already have then don't waste my time.

I always tell any dealer "Give me your best price." I had one call me back to follow up after giving me his "best price" and when I told him that I went with a different dealer and what I paid, he said "But that's only $500. We could have come down $500." I told him, "So you lied when you said you gave me your best deal? Why would I do business with someone who lied to me? And you would have had to beat that $500, because I already had that deal."

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:46 PM   #8
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I've done the same thing. I want them to know I'm aggressively looking for the best deal and if they can't beat a deal I already have then don't waste my time.

I always tell any dealer "Give me your best price." I had one call me back to follow up after giving me his "best price" and when I told him that I went with a different dealer and what I paid, he said "But that's only $500. We could have come down $500." I told him, "So you lied when you said you gave me your best deal? Why would I do business with someone who lied to me? And you would have had to beat that $500, because I already had that deal."
Totally agree and had this happen to me many times. Once I get a price I come at them hard with “ oh your competition came with a way better price. So either beat these numbers rn or I’m getting up and going there right now. “
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:55 AM   #9
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for all the advice guys! I should have come here first before beginning shopping. Hoping to close something down this weekend before the rebates disappear.
      12-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:

That's ridiculous, who in their right mind would just lay all their cards on the table simply because a buyer asked for their "best price." Dealerships aren't there to provide you with a car at your desired price, they are there to sell you a car at a profit. I'm sure when you're selling something, you would immediately give your rock bottom price if prompted.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

^ Dealerships have incentives to gain customers and keep them. It isn’t like buying a Intake off the forums. A buyer can always refer to family and friends of the positive experience/purchase. Let’s not forget that when you purchase a vehicle, you return to do service with them which they get paid for..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #12
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedmyf80 View Post
^ Dealerships have incentives to gain customers and keep them. It isn’t like buying a Intake off the forums. A buyer can always refer to family and friends of the positive experience/purchase. Let’s not forget that when you purchase a vehicle, you return to do service with them which they get paid for..
I understand that, but for the dealership's "best price" be $500 below their original offer is not something to be offended over. By all means, play dealers against each other for the best price, but expect them to give you a competitive offer, not necessarily their "rock bottom" price.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      12-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #13
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedmyf80 View Post
^ Dealerships have incentives to gain customers and keep them. It isn't like buying a Intake off the forums. A buyer can always refer to family and friends of the positive experience/purchase. Let's not forget that when you purchase a vehicle, you return to do service with them which they get paid for..
I understand that, but for the dealership's "best price" be $500 below their original offer is not something to be offended over. By all means, play dealers against each other for the best price, but expect them to give you a competitive offer, not necessarily their "rock bottom" price.
Agreed. It would be better to just respond with "thanks but I have received a better off elsewhere" and let them either come down or let you go.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      12-30-2018, 11:36 PM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Quote:

That's ridiculous, who in their right mind would just lay all their cards on the table simply because a buyer asked for their "best price." Dealerships aren't there to provide you with a car at your desired price, they are there to sell you a car at a profit. I'm sure when you're selling something, you would immediately give your rock bottom price if prompted.
Ridiculous? It's worked just fine for me for over 50 years of new car buying. How many new cars have bought?

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:18 AM   #15
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

LOL to people who think dealers profit is as simple as MSRP-Invoice....but hey someone's gotta keep the lights on.

As for laying your cards on the table....you aren't buying a one-off phantom drophead coupe.

theres at least 6 bmw dealers i could get to in less than an hour.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:48 PM   #16
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Quote:
I've taken deal sheets that dealers give me - with full terms, dealer name, VIN, options, everything - and emailed them straight to competitors and asked them to beat the deal. I find that it greatly speeds up the negotiation process, whether i end up buying or walking.

Exactly. I'm not going to burn the dealer who gave me the best price by buying the car from a different dealer who only matched my prior deal. I would buy from the dealer who gave me the best price initially because that is the right thing to do.
      12-31-2018, 04:42 PM   #17
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ridiculous? It's worked just fine for me for over 50 years of new car buying. How many new cars have bought?
This guy is butthurt because a dealership wouldn't give their "rock bottom" price on the first email. They dared to submit an offer, to a stranger over email, that was a whopping $500 over their true lowest price. Remember, the dealership has no idea if this is a serious buyer or some tire kicker wasting their time. Sure, you can get a decent deal if you email a few dealerships and pick the lowest bid, but don't expect every dealership to take the bait and fawn all over you based on ONE random email. There are customers in the showroom who they can sell to.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #18
ChuMpion3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT (x2)

So long as the dealer isn’t the same family or really far away, I give the name. These dealers hate losing something to the guy down the street.
Appreciate 0