Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

08-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #265
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

So I finally got fed up with my steering column cover rattling like crazy. I followed https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=231 and now its quiet. I just removed the top part, put felt tape into the suggested areas and put a bit of silicone grease on the sides of the panel that touch the outsides of the lower panel (i.e. the seam)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #266
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I'm not sure if this fix has made the rounds yet, but I had a creak from the A/C controls when going over uneven pavement (i.e. basically every road I drive on).

1. Start by removing the center dash trim piece by grasping from the top with your fingertips where the edge meets the dash and pulling gently toward the rear of the car. It will slowly slide back and you can dislodge the 2-3 brass prongs on the far right below the air vent with your fingers. They just pop out. There is a wiring harness connecting the temperature dial and hazard light button, but you need not disconnect them for this.

2. Using a small Torx bit (sorry, don't know the exact size, but am guessing T25), remove the two upper screws holding the A/C controls in place. They're normally hidden by the dash trim. Put the screws in the cupholder for safekeeping. The trim can slide back into the dash for now.

3. Using a small flathead screwdriver and a rag, gently pry down the trim below the A/C controls by inserting the screwdriver just below the A/C control bezel. The rag is to protect the bezel from scratches. The trim is just soft plastic and should easily pop free. A wire harness may be tucked into this panel depending on your model year, but it easily unhooks. The two bottom screws for the A/C controls should now be visible. Remove them and place them in the cupholder. All four screws are the same size.

4. On the back of the A/C controls, use adhesive felt to pad all four mounting points where the screws go through (it prevents the A/C controls from squeaking against the mounts). I also added some to the left and right side of the A/C control bezel because I think the integrated ambient light strip might have been a little loose. All adhesive felt is highlighted red.

4a. On the HK radio, there are two plastic pegs that stick out and go into holes in the AC controls to allow it to hang during mounting. Put adhesive felt on the tips of these pegs (highlighted red).

5. Installation is the reverse of the removal. Hopefully now the car can flex a little without causing any more creaking.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #267
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
I have a noise that seems to come from the center of the dash closer to the windshield. I did remove the HUD bezel and put felt tape on the metal tabs, but that did not eliminate the issue. If I put pressure with my hand on the dash, then the noise stops.
On mine, if I tap the center speaker grill I hear the rattle behind the instrument panel to the right (facing out the windshield) of the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #268
iooal3xooi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 comp

Is there any fix for the front centre console, I'm getting rattles from the wireless charging dock. Any guides on how to get it open? Have a feeling its the cables underneath.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #269
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I’ve had a terrible rattle from the rear seat area for a while now and I finally tore apart the rear shelf area to find it. Everything comes apart surprisingly easily and everything is just begging for some adhesive felt before it goes back together.

Following these instructions, I took the rear shelf and both c-pillar trim panels off:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...blind/HvqjwQoB

On the passenger c-pillar is a bracket for the side curtain airbags. The bracket is secured with several large rivets with heads about the size of a dime. One of the rivets was not sufficiently tight and allowed the bracket to rattle against the body.

Normally I would drill the rivet out and shoot a new one, but these were HUGE and I was concerned a piece might fall inside the c-pillar in an unrecoverable area and rattle forever. I tightened up the fit of the bracket by sliding small pieces of a breakable razor blade under the rivet head and sealing them in place with RTV. I also jammed a piece of a towel behind the bracket to make it fit really tight. Once the c-pillar is installed, no one will ever be the wiser.

I also installed adhesive felt in the following areas:

- The base of each c-pillar trim where it meets the rear shelf

- The three clips on each c-pillar trim to tighten them in their mounts

- The rear shelf support all the way at the back. The plastic shelf just sits on a series of “humps” and each of these just needed a 1” piece across the peak.

- There are wiring harnesses for a few control modules under the rear shelf and they are retained by plastic clips that loosely fit inside a metal bracket. Adhesive felt tightened that up.

- The speaker grilles got adhesive felt all the way around the edges and now they fit much tighter. The passenger one used to have a tiny rattle, but no longer.

- The rear seat bolsters are held in place with two large copper lugs at the base, both of which slide into metal holes and may rattle. Wrap the lugs with adhesive felt and install it.

After all of this, I can bang on almost anything in the rear shelf area and it sounds completely solid. It’s SO much better than before. I’m looking forward to my test drive on the way home from work tomorrow to see if it stays quiet.

Oh, and FWIW, I’ve used almost 40 feet of adhesive felt on the interior of my car.
Appreciate 4
      10-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #270
Villagers
Rep
Drives: 435i F36

Hey guys, Awesome thread and good write up. My dealer could not find rattles, and apparently the fixed three of them (just on paper) ! Anyways, found Rattles from Doom light but it is really hard to take off that inner doom light out, feel like I have to use metal screw driver (which I am afraid of using!). Would any good folks suggest any tricks? Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #271
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagers View Post
Hey guys, Awesome thread and good write up. My dealer could not find rattles, and apparently the fixed three of them (just on paper) ! Anyways, found Rattles from Doom light but it is really hard to take off that inner doom light out, feel like I have to use metal screw driver (which I am afraid of using!). Would any good folks suggest any tricks? Thank you !
I just did mine today. You have to use your fingers and car panel tools. Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Sunplustrade-...ar+panel+tools
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #272
jbed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 - ZCP - DCT - BSM/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iooal3xooi View Post
Is there any fix for the front centre console, I'm getting rattles from the wireless charging dock. Any guides on how to get it open? Have a feeling its the cables underneath.
Wedge some dense rubber foam (mine was from an obd port Bluetooth dongle packaging) on each side. After some trial and error on how large to cut the foam - make it snug - this solved all rattles coming from center console.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #273
hcx0627
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone

is your dealer in southern CAL?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #274
GKay
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

anyone have a glove box rattle/buzz?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #275
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

After a recent road trip on some very coarse road surfaces, my console and air vent trim was buzzing like crazy

I know my way around fixing these issues, having pulled everything waist height out of my evo x and sound deadening all the trim to reduce the resonance

For the f80 I applied focal bam to the air vent surrounds and more importantly the plastic that is plasti-welded to the carbon, that's where the buzzing is coming from. Adding sound deadening adds weight to it which reduces the resonance. Also added some felt tape over the clips for a tighter grip and stop that plastic vibrating within their clip holders

Did same for all the centre console trim (didn't take pics)

Also used opportunity to polish the carbon
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #276
David Howe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 f80

Centre console rattle

Hi

I have a rattle from my centre console on my 2015 f80. It's driving me mad and I'm hoping to find a solution. I have managed to isolate it to the leather part next to the cup holders, highlighted below, the noise stops when pressure is applied to the side of the trim.

any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #277
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Gummi Phlege to seal #1 quieted down my interior significantly! I was making the mistake of applying the gummi to seal #2 and it did nothing to quiet it down (tho my rubber seals look fantastic now ). Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 02:02 AM   #278
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

I followed the A/C vent DIY but that didn't fix my rattle. Turned out my rattle was coming from one of the metal fasteners on the trim piece. See photo:

One of my metal clips wasn't shaped properly and would have a metal-on-metal rattle when pinched. Used pliers reshape it. Rattle gone! So my suggestion for those doing the A/C vent rattle fix would be to check the metal clips by pinching them and ensure they don't make a metallic sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #279
TheirThere
867-5309
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP and E36 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
rubbing sound around doors:
i tried Gummi Pflege and it helped a little, but not enough.
teflon tape completely fixed the problem (dealership install).

service advisor said they have more issues with black trim rubbing opposed to other trims. maybe the finish is different?

Last edited by TheirThere; 09-29-2019 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #280
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Trunk lid light fixture rattles?

Does anyone know if it's possible to open up these light housings and take care of the rattles? If you knock / shake them, there's a bunch of rattling coming from them. My audio system makes it all rattle around, not very pleasant.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 03:11 PM   #281
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to open up these light housings and take care of the rattles? If you knock / shake them, there's a bunch of rattling coming from them. My audio system makes it all rattle around, not very pleasant.
You need to carefully cut the seam with a dremel (cutting blade for plastic - thin cut, works best) or similar, then reseal with headlight butyl when you're not. Pretty sure you cant bake the tailights like you can on the headlights. Its a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #282
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
You need to carefully cut the seam with a dremel (cutting blade for plastic - thin cut, works best) or similar, then reseal with headlight butyl when you're not. Pretty sure you cant bake the tailights like you can on the headlights. Its a PITA.
Ah, thanks. I'll skip that!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:21 PM   #283
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Just an FYI, I had a really bad rattle/vibration problem coming from my rear deck area on my F80 but the suggested rear seat solution didn't work.

Turns out it was the 3rd brake light not secured tightly. I am the second owner of the car and the rear window was tinted so I'm not sure if it was an OEM problem or the prior owner/shop didn't put it back properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:29 AM   #284
fpvsportsguy
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

Hi all, not sure if people are still following this thread, but I just wanna thank everyone for their super helpful contributions, as I was able to eliminate vast majority of the noise in my F83 M4.

However, I have just this last rattle that sounds like a screw is loose from the front passenger dash area that's driving me crazy as I can't seem to locate the source.

Here's what I've tried and eliminated through trial and error:
-removed passenger A pillar
-removed the CF dash/vent trim piece
-opened the glovebox and held it in place, as it feels a little loose when opened
-held the door lock pin, as it does make a little bit of noise if I wiggle it
-pushed against top of the dash as well as the side vents and windshield
-pushed against the passenger door and the led strips
-while stationary, opened and shook the passenger door like crazy
-held the footwell trims, which are a little squeaky if pressed
-played the cd test with 100-200hz through the speakers
-even drove with the convertible top and windows down, can still faintly hear the rattle at low speeds with quiet surroundings

I'm just about to pull all of my hair out as I just can't locate this mystery rattle. I've chased down just about all other noises in the car, but this one is becoming my white whale. It happens when I go over bumps and it rattles and reverberates for a bit after the bump, sounds like a loose screw as the reverberation is high in frequency, about 3-5hz by my rough estimation. It's somewhere around the front passenger area, I just can't locate where. Any help would really be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #285
spottedhyena
Deceptacon
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Thanks a bunch
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:13 AM   #286
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Hi all,

Having seen this thread I removed the snap in adapter from the centre console of my F82 and replaced it with the OEM rubber mat. Sadly, the buzzing is still there. It wasn't a wasted exercise as the adapter was of no use to me anyway.

Next on the list is to tape the edges of the trim as per solution #5.

What I would like to do is completely remove the whole centre console and tighten every nut and bolt in there and put it all back together but from what I've read here, it's a PITA of a job.
Appreciate 0