Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Yes these stock MPSS are pretty horrible. Especially when comparing to the AWD in the TTS. I already have 10k miles on them lol so I'm probably switching to cup 2's soon
Even on a stock'15 f80, the "lag" from a dig is the electronics holding back the torque to keep the PSS from turning into a smoke show.

if you don't mind me asking, would you stick with the same combo in the future?

I could see myself wanting the m4 to be the vert and the 911 to be the more focused fixed roof car (T, GT3, etc)
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      08-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #24
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Congrats on your TTS!
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      08-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #25
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
Yes these stock MPSS are pretty horrible. Especially when comparing to the AWD in the TTS. I already have 10k miles on them lol so I'm probably switching to cup 2's soon
Even on a stock'15 f80, the "lag" from a dig is the electronics holding back the torque to keep the PSS from turning into a smoke show.

if you don't mind me asking, would you stick with the same combo in the future?

I could see myself wanting the m4 to be the vert and the 911 to be the more focused fixed roof car (T, GT3, etc)
You're right. I could feel the lag being electronically controlled since it feels dead for the first second or two, then a sudden burst of power. It makes sense, but kind of scary at times when I'm trying to merge on a highway from a stop, and I do the merge and pray (pray that I pick up speed before getting rammed). I don't experience that with the TTS. Power is instantaneous from any speed or from a dig.

I think in the near future I'd stick with this combo but only because I don't track my cars. If I was tracking, I'd definitely go your route.

Biggest two limiting factors with convertibles is the road noise and reduced visibility. Which is why I'd have a hard time using a conv/cab as a daily, depending on miles driven.

More Porsche enthusiasts do think like you tho which is why the TTS coupe holds its value much better than the cab.
      08-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #26
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias View Post
Congrats on your TTS!
thank you!
      08-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #27
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

I'd give up my CS for a GT3 with zero hesitation.
Appreciate 2
paliknight2186.50
jmg18493.00
      08-20-2019, 12:58 AM   #28
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I'd give up my CS for a GT3 with zero hesitation.
GT3 is a sweet ass car. Idk if I could daily it though. I considered it but since I wasn't tracking, I felt it might be a waste.
      08-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #29
theplanner
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Awesome combination of drivers cars
Similar to u I hv a M3 comp as my daily and 991.2 manual GT3 as my weekend warrior.

On the note about lag in the M3, if u drive in all traction off mode, u will find the M3 is more pleasurable where throttle is very responsive with little to no lag. You just need to modulate the throttle with ur foot more intently...the engine is quite amazing for a turbo to offer such great responsiveness even at low rpm. Only other turbo engine aside the Porsche is the 488 that offers such responsiveness at all rpm range imho.

Porsche traction management is at another level compared to bimmers, as they r so unintrusive in isolation.
      08-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #30
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

I know the GTS is a little removed from the CS, but throttle in sport, traction control in MDM, transmission in sport+/manual is a pretty solid combination for driving around town. Throttle in sport+ if the majority of the driving is above 40mph. MDM keeps me from roasting the tires at a light, but you do have to modulate the throttle a bit in 1st through 3rd. I second the suggestion of picking up some Sport Cup 2s if you want more traction. I couldn't imagine trying to put down S55 torque through MPSS.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #31
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplanner View Post
Similar to u I hv a M3 comp as my daily and 991.2 manual GT3 as my weekend warrior.

On the note about lag in the M3, if u drive in all traction off mode, u will find the M3 is more pleasurable where throttle is very responsive with little to no lag. You just need to modulate the throttle with ur foot more intently...the engine is quite amazing for a turbo to offer such great responsiveness even at low rpm. Only other turbo engine aside the Porsche is the 488 that offers such responsiveness at all rpm range imho.

Porsche traction management is at another level compared to bimmers, as they r so unintrusive in isolation.
That's what I thought. The computer was limiting the CS to avoid traction issues. I didn't think of knocking it down to just MDM but might do that from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
I know the GTS is a little removed from the CS, but throttle in sport, traction control in MDM, transmission in sport+/manual is a pretty solid combination for driving around town. Throttle in sport+ if the majority of the driving is above 40mph. MDM keeps me from roasting the tires at a light, but you do have to modulate the throttle a bit in 1st through 3rd. I second the suggestion of picking up some Sport Cup 2s if you want more traction. I couldn't imagine trying to put down S55 torque through MPSS.
I definitely am considering this very soon! I have less than 1k miles left on the MPSS lol
      08-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #32
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That's what I thought. The computer was limiting the CS to avoid traction issues. I didn't think of knocking it down to just MDM but might do that from now on.

I definitely am considering this very soon! I have less than 1k miles left on the MPSS lol
So, I had euro mdm coded on my (base ‘15) f80 and it got sideways a few times when I was on a conference call going to work and not paying attention as much (eg right turn from a stop with lots of throttle). I don’t think it’s an overly sophisticated system in that it can still randomly activate at the track for no reason, and it won’t prevent you 100% from doing unwanted dumb stuff on the street. Maybe mdm has improved in your CS?

Just take it a DE and you can easily get ride of 1/3 of tread on your MPSS (I’m just kidding, it’s such a waste of time to track on those unless you’re new or if it’s raining)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:12 PM   #33
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:

So, I had euro mdm coded on my (base ‘15) f80 and it got sideways a few times when I was on a conference call going to work and not paying attention as much (eg right turn from a stop with lots of throttle). I don’t think it’s an overly sophisticated system in that it can still randomly activate at the track for no reason, and it won’t prevent you 100% from doing unwanted dumb stuff on the street. Maybe mdm has improved in your CS?

Just take it a DE and you can easily get ride of 1/3 of tread on your MPSS (I’m just kidding, it’s such a waste of time to track on those unless you’re new or if it’s raining)
I'm not sure. Supposedly it was improved, but I can't really tell.

Haha I'll just do some donuts in the lot.
      08-23-2019, 01:20 AM   #34
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Great combo. I do think for those of us lucky enough to have a weekend sports car, the F80 makes the best side kick. Just the perfect amount of sport and luxury.

Interesting your M3 is the hardcore track version, and the 911 is one of the softer more daily friendly ones (ie not a GT or RS track car).

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      08-23-2019, 04:56 AM   #35
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
It's a shame BMW USA elected to shod the CS with PSS in the US. A key point of the CS is that it was optimized around the added grip of the PSC2 on which it comes stock in the rest of the world.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-01-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      08-23-2019, 04:58 AM   #36
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure. Supposedly it was improved, but I can't really tell.

Haha I'll just do some donuts in the lot.
I had Euro MDM coded on my 2015 M4. The MDM on my M4cs is much more lenient and smooth.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      08-23-2019, 03:32 PM   #37
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
Great combo. I do think for those of us lucky enough to have a weekend sports car, the F80 makes the best side kick. Just the perfect amount of sport and luxury.

Interesting your M3 is the hardcore track version, and the 911 is one of the softer more daily friendly ones (ie not a GT or RS track car).
Agreed. The F80 is more than capable on its own for every category, but I went cab because I wanted a fun weekend GT cruiser. If I was a track rat, I'd have went TTS coupe or GT3!
      10-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #38
acr-c
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5

Cool thread. I have been daily driving my 2015 991.1 TTS for a little over the last year. This past week I picked up a 2018 M3 CP with a 6MT to come alongside the Porsche and take over daily duties.

Both are modded: My TTS is lowered on HRE P101s and has the full compliment of parts and tuning to make a Stage 3 out of her. The M3 is a Dinan S2.

So far, my impressions are that the M3 is more comfortable for daily use. The TTS is, of course, a lot quicker. I'll try to get the M3 out today for a little run and to see how she is...
      10-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #39
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Great combo, but I could be biased
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
pokerface428.00
Andrae26851.00
paliknight2186.50
      10-26-2019, 02:05 AM   #40
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
So you guys think launching on cup twos is that much better than the super sports? My launch in an M3 CS usually results in a smoke show :
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #41
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
So you guys think launching on cup twos is that much better than the super sports? My launch in an M3 CS usually results in a smoke show :
It's a proven fact. Cup 2's are stickier tires, but they're more expensive, more track oriented, and less suitable for the streets since, I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), they don't handle colder wetter climates as well as the MPSS or MP4S.
      11-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #42
theplanner
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
It's a proven fact. Cup 2's are stickier tires, but they're more expensive, more track oriented, and less suitable for the streets since, I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), they don't handle colder wetter climates as well as the MPSS or MP4S.
Yes u r correct, cup 2 r slippery when the tyres are cold, or wet/ cold conditions. So not ideal for Rd use...
      12-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #43
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes u r correct, cup 2 r slippery when the tyres are cold, or wet/ cold conditions. So not ideal for Rd use...
Cup 2 are just fine on public roads as long as you watch the tread depth when there is water around and I personally don’t use them below 35F

I have cup2 on my 911 and it is just fine for street use and commuting. It’s like an Re71r and other 200tw street tires
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321104.50
paliknight2186.50