EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Closed Thread

02-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #199
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Maybe but that is completely out of the context anyone here is talking about. I'm not talking (and neither is anyone else) about your grandmas car and the ideal weight distribution for her needs.

We are talking about performqnce cars that will be driven on the track, and driven hard. For performance applications there is no benefit, only significant drawbacks to such a front bias, especially on an extremely heavy car

Your entire persona here appears to be focused on being a contrarian. Don't twist the facts and make up a new discussion point that had nothing to do with the threqd. The discussion was explaining one reason, weihjt distribution, that the s4 was inferior to the m3 on track and in high performance applications.
Contrarian? Twisting facts? Haha whatever you say man.
Well to some degree you are muddying the waters here. You came into this discussion and started adding components that had nothing to do with the discussion (...the latter being a behavioral trait of gee-m-w). The core of the discussion was a comparison of the S4 and the M3 from a performance standpoint, not marketing materials, pedestrian driving habits, global warming or my grandmother's dentures.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #200
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh335i View Post
Well the whole s4 vs m3 thing is to me, 5 second delta around that top gear track is a huge difference... so that comparison never existed imo.

But the V8 through the speakers is a joke about bmw playing exhaust/engine notes thru the stereo.

And the analogy i made of the new M being a further developed 335i is not about the lap times, it is about the direct similarity in drivetrain (tt i6) with the application of new tech and features. By M appointments i was referring to tweaked suspension, rear diff, body work, tuning, and (hopefully i imagine this goes without saying) a cooling system that is actually effective on the track.
The top gear track is more of a large format autocross. I wouldn't equate it to any normal 13 turn, 2.5 circuit like most of the tracks we walk about in the United States.

I agree that the M3 times will build on or derive from the 335i.
      02-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #201
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w
Quote:
Well the whole s4 vs m3 thing is to me, 5 second delta around that top gear track is a huge difference... so that comparison never existed imo.

But the V8 through the speakers is a joke about bmw playing exhaust/engine notes thru the stereo.

And the analogy i made of the new M being a further developed 335i is not about the lap times, it is about the direct similarity in drivetrain (tt i6) with the application of new tech and features. By M appointments i was referring to tweaked suspension, rear diff, body work, tuning, and (hopefully i imagine this goes without saying) a cooling system that is actually effective on the track.
The top gear track is more of a large format autocross. I wouldn't equate it to any normal 13 turn, 2.5 circuit like most of the tracks we walk about in the United States.

Either way the S4 loses (...be it 5 seconds or 20 seconds), so just stop trying to equate its performance to that of an M3. Your car is equivalent to a 335i. Nothing more!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #202
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
You did not drive it on the track or at all. You are just a keyboard racer, keep things in perspective.
Yes, my brakes turned blue and heat checked from driving to work. Probably because 101% of the weight is over the front wheels.
Attached Images

02-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #203
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

For once.....READ WHAT IS BEING SAID TO YOU. He was referring to the RS5 in your "crown gear" example. Geez you are a nincompoop.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #204
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Either way the S4 loses (...be it 5 seconds or 20 seconds), so just stop trying to equate its performance to that of an M3. Your car is equivalent to a 335i. Nothing more!
If an M3 is a tuned 335i and an S4 is a tuned S4 are they equivalent? Asking for a friend.
      02-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #205
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Comparing the B8 S4 to the f80 M3 from a performance standpoint on a track is silly if your metric is "lap time", which is generally *the* metric lol...the new M3 will wipe it's ass with the S4, not even close.

I think the crux of most of West's posts on the subject is: "is the f80 M3 $20k better than the B8 S4", which is based on his bare bones S4 and the heavy options + lack of discount he expects to get on the M3 (which is pure speculation).

Honestly, it's a stupid debate to begin with because none of these purchases are "value" propositions, and any objective comparison is heavily influenced by personal bias (he says "I need carbon brakes and LED headlights"). He further muddles the debate by talking about how "there is no difference between them on the track because everyone is learning" or "nominal weight distribution means nothing because it is sprung and will change as you drive" or (fill in blank with other random point).

You guys just have to stop taking him so seriously...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #206
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w
Quote:
If an M3 is a tuned 335i and an S4 is a tuned S4 are they equivalent? Asking for a friend.
Dude! What are you talking about? My point was referencing THE LAP TIMES.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #207
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For once.....READ WHAT IS BEING SAID TO YOU. He was referring to the RS5 in your "crown gear" example. Geez you are a nincompoop.
OK I want to make sure I have it straight. The assertion is I go there plenty, but of all the times I've only ever driven my own car. There has never been an opportunity to drive another car, either to show someone something about their own vehicle or to demo a car owned by a dealer or factory.

You guys crack me up. You act like I've never sat behind the wheel of an M car. I'll take one out next weekend just to make sure I'm not missing anything. There's a 2010 E90 M3 sedan I can get my hands on for a few laps.
      02-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #208
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23
Comparing the B8 S4 to the f80 M3 from a performance standpoint on a track is silly if your metric is "lap time", which is generally *the* metric lol...the new M3 will wipe it's ass with the S4, not even close.

I think the crux of most of West's posts on the subject is: "is the f80 M3 $20k better than the B8 S4", which is based on his bare bones S4 and the heavy options + lack of discount he expects to get on the M3 (which is pure speculation).

Honestly, it's a stupid debate to begin with because none of these purchases are "value" propositions, and any objective comparison is heavily influenced by personal bias (he says "I need carbon brakes and LED headlights"). He further muddles the debate by talking about how "there is no difference between them on the track because everyone is learning" or "nominal weight distribution means nothing because it is sprung and will change as you drive" or (fill in blank with other random point).

You guys just have to stop taking him so serious...
I think I'm finally understanding your closing point. You cannot reason with the unreasonable.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #209
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w View Post

And Hockenheim is also a large format autocross I guess...

I'll give you one thing You provide good entertainment with your posts around here
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #210
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
OK I want to make sure I have it straight. The assertion is I go there plenty, but of all the times I've only ever driven my own car. There has never been an opportunity to drive another car, either to show someone something about their own vehicle or to demo a car owned by a dealer or factory.

You guys crack me up. You act like I've never sat behind the wheel of an M car. I'll take one out next weekend just to make sure I'm not missing anything. There's a 2010 E90 M3 sedan I can get my hands on for a few laps.

Still not getting that they are talking about your claimed track excursion in the RS5
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #211
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And BTW, the M3 is far from a "tuned" version of a 335i when it comes to the track. You of all people should know. Maybe the engine is based on the same block, and the car based on the same chassis, but that's where the comparison stops.

- Solid link suspension;
- At least 300 lbs lighter;
- Active rear differential (same as audi sports diff);
- Much stiffer chassis (which you complain about with your S4);
- Twin-turbo with higher revving internal and extra 100 HP;
- Option for double-clutch box (much better than audi S4 offering);
- Bigger brake kit properly setup for track;
- Lightweight driveline tech;
- Added cooling infrastructure;

You've already modded your S4 with revo 100 tune, APR front cooling system, BBK, milltek exhaust, full EC suspension upgrade, adjustable control arms..and had your "achievement unlocked" alignment of -3 deg of camber. So you have easily spent 10k on all those "upgrades", not including your $200/hr pro race shop installation, and bet your car hangs with stock e90 M3 on the track, but the f80 will be another animal.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #212
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23
Quote:
And BTW, the M3 is far from a "tuned" version of a 335i when it comes to the track. You of all people should know. Maybe the engine is based on the same block, and the car based on the same chassis, but that's where the comparison stops.

- Solid link suspension;
- At least 300 lbs lighter;
- Active rear differential (same as audi sports diff);
- Much stiffer chassis (which you complain about with your S4);
- Twin-turbo with higher revving internal and extra 100 HP;
- Option for double-clutch box (much better than audi S4 offering);
- Bigger brake kit properly setup for track;
- Lightweight driveline tech;
- Added cooling infrastructure;

You've already modded your S4 with revo 100 tune, APR front cooling system, BBK, milltek exhaust, full EC suspension upgrade, adjustable control arms..and had your "achievement unlocked" alignment of -3 deg of camber. So you have easily spent 10k on all those "upgrades", not including your $200/hr pro race shop installation, and bet your car hangs with stock e90 M3 on the track, but the f80 will be another animal.
All that and the lowly E36 M3 is still spanking him. Hilarious stuff!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #213
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
"Tweaked" suspension? The car has a uniquely wider track f+r for one thing.
"Tuning"? Read up on the S55 vs N55 differences.

Since analogies are the rage: A Carrera 2 isn't a GT3.

Drob23- great posts and advice.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread