European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #23
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
I just heard from Sales@RKautowerks that they're offering forged internals now for the S55, i think this is a very recent discovery, so might be worth chatting with them about.

I was thinking about it, but don't currently have HP ambitions above 650ish.

Instagram: @TouringM3
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8...LVuZzYvwGewezg
Appreciate 1
sly1types426.50
      04-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #24
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer2 View Post
Any feedback on Ghassan Automotive? They also offer built engine packages like Carbahn.
This a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      04-14-2021, 01:31 PM   #25
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
Quote:
Any feedback on Ghassan Automotive? They also offer built engine packages like Carbahn.
This a joke?
Must have been, or he was unaware of the shenanigans by Ghassan...

I'm now working with BMB Autowerke in NJ as I've received calls and PMs raving about Billy.

F80MGod has a usable spun motor that we've negotiated on. This will be the donor for a rebuilt block and head.
      04-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #26
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
This a joke?
LOL is that a thread about them that exploded? I need some entertainment. Link me brutha.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #27
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
LOL is that a thread about them that exploded? I need some entertainment. Link me brutha.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772496
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #28
Whatcoloristhat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772496
Don’t want to go off-topic but any way to resurrect this thread from the dead? Sounds like a fun thread relating to aforementioned shop

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704138
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #29
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Quote:
This a joke?
Haha, if I had it handy I would. They almost always end up in the customer being screwed, and someone always highlights that the owner is a pedo 💀
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #30
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

So as of right now the rods and pistons will be CP Carrillo and the gurus see the skirt and face coatings as worth it.
Mike.2041.00
      04-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #31
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP 6MT

What's up Jimmy, are you planning on using arp head studs and an oem gasket? I don't really think there are too many gasket options for the s55.
      04-21-2021, 06:43 AM   #32
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Greg View Post
What's up Jimmy, are you planning on using arp head studs and an oem gasket? I don't really think there are too many gasket options for the s55.
Not sure on the smaller parts yet. I'll let BMB advise me on what needs better pieces, like the studs or gaskets. I haven't seen many blown head gaskets in our S55 forums.
      04-24-2021, 05:40 AM   #33
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3 Non ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I'm planning a built motor and would like experienced input from those of you that have been through it before. My current motor is at 50K miles and has taken a lot of hard abuse by me over the last 35K miles. The last oil change showed some metal dust on my oil plug magnet, so I'm a little concerned about pushing harder (bigger turbos) without looking inside. My build work would be done by VAC Motorsports in Philly.

A buddy spun his crank hub but the motor still ran, and he's willing to sell it to me so I can use it as a working core. This way I can get all the building done on the core and then do a motor swap, instead of taking my car completely out of action for a couple weeks.

INTENDED OUTCOME:
Get my 6-speed into the 5 second range for a 60-130MPH fourth gear pull, and hopefully see a 10sec quarter mile dig at the dragstrip (and get told to leave!).

PLANNED BUILD:
- Disassemble donor motor, clean and inspect for core quality
- Mill block flat, torque plate, bore 0.5mm over and hone fine
- Machine for full circle thrust bearing
- New bearings with performance coating from VAC
- Polish crankshaft journals, install IP 1-piece hub, balance it
- New rods & pistons, hand balanced (which brand, what compression ratio?)
- Mill heads with stage 3 CNC street cut job, includes springs and valves
- Port match heads to intake and turbo manifolds
- EoS intake manifold with hand polished runners and port match (by me)
- The bigger EU5 injectors, HPFPs, LPFP and Hobbs switch
- Project Gamma front intake
- BMW flex-fuel (NGK F8S) plugs gapped to 0.021"
- More custom tunes by Paul Johnson, a 93o daily map plus an E85 race map

EXISTING EQUIPMENT:
- MST Intakes, Vargas silicone CPs, Wagner TMIC, ER aluminum J-pipe
- Vargas GC turbos with black ceramic coated manifolds (ordered)
- Ceramic coated ARM resonated no-cat DPs, and full 3.5in single AA exhaust
- Signature 11.5in rears with 325/30/19 Mickey Thompsons (ordered)

QUESTIONS:
- Any reason not to do the IP 1-piece hub fix, since things will be all apart?
- Does anyone have input on compression ratio for the new 0.5over pistons?
- Any other special considerations on pistons, like skirt or face coatings?
- Any benefit from the Schrick cams, or other valvetronic tricks (MILVS)?
- Will the 3.5bar or 4bar TMAP sensors be needed?
- Since my stock clutch and flywheel are at 50K miles would you replace with a new OEM or a Clutch Masters?
- When do driveshafts break?

I'm really looking for input from guys who have already done built motors!

-TJ
I'm on 3rd complete rebuild. You do NOT want to mill or sleeve S55 for numerous reasons. Have bore checked, if out of spec purchase new OEM short block. $3,800 directly from BMW, Turbo selection is not preferred (I will not comment publicly on this) been there done that. Get custom CP-CARRILLO pistons, rods with ceramic skirt, titanium coating, ACR rod bearings, full port head by HeadGames, Headgames/ASR head studs, Brisk spark plugs, stay stock compression use thicker oem head gasket (most builders don't even know there are two different thickness OEM head gaskets) no meth unless cooling only, Garrett tmic (Wagner will NOT fit if you run PI without cutting structural hood supports), any catless DP'S, no need to replace rear exhaust unless wanting to change sound, no performance gains with aftermarket, Shrick camshaft (gained 60whp just from just camshaft using stock injectors and HPFP), ditch PI and run aftermarket HPFP fueling kit with EU5 injectors(not Spool). With this 850whp+ on primary fueling only all day long. Stock intakes with BMC drop in unless looking for engine bling. 1,200whp rated rear axles DSS. 4bar tmap required. If that doesn't get you there PI for over 850whp which will produce 1,100-1,200 whp depending on turbos (VTT can't get you there). Mickey Thompsons are poor choice unless straight line racing. 305 is widest tire that will fit without modification I'm not aware of) Toyo R888r once at temp much more stable and safer. Halim tuning as he's the only one who has tuned cars to this level of hp and develops ALL BM3 maps. Not a knock on Paul as I have used him. Good guy, good tuner for 600-800whp but 5 second 60-130 is out of his wheelhouse in my opinion.

Not a knock on anyone personally as I'm sure people have had excellent results with some of these items. or a dig at any manufacturers but I've used almost every manufacturer of aftermarket parts, ALL turbos available to date except Garrett as not interested in their waste gate setup, tmic, heat exchanger, clutch, (I'm DCT) so I cannot comment on manual. A lot of aftermarket are hype/BS and have failed when pushed past 800ishwhp.

Finally which I should have mentioned first is have a specific whp goal for the car as that will determine what path you should follow. It sounds like you do with the 60-130 times but you're going to need closer to 900-1,000 plus to get there.

Wish you all t
Appreciate 6
irunalot1515.50
TopJimmy5394.00
guess2098515.00
sly1types426.50
      04-24-2021, 06:52 AM   #34
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer View Post
Andrew does good work, and can be trusted. I hear good things about VAC as well.

Figure you're into it 20K with pulling the motor and putting a new one in.
BMW parts needed to just drop and replace is without any upgrades is 2k (gaskets, stretch bolts, filters, fluids), a proper head job 4-5k, custom pistons and rods 6-7k, camshafts 1600, machine work (crankshaft balancing, polishing 1k). 2k axles, Depending upon turbos, DP'S, heat exchanger, tmic, clutches, etc is well over 20k. try $35-40k Depending on which parts are chosen. This does NOT include labor.
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5394.00
irunalot1515.50
      04-24-2021, 07:18 AM   #35
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
I haven't built any S55 engines besides the cylinder head, but from my experience building over 100 other engines, don't bother with the coated bearings. If you are getting enough cylinder pressure, or lack of oil flow to allow for bearing to journal contact, the coating isn't going to do anything to save your engine.

No reason not to do the IP 4 pin hub.

For the pistons, I would have your machine shop measure each cylinder bore for out of round and taper. Then they can ascertain the minimum amount of material needed to remove to get the cylinder perfectly round. This will help determine if sleeving is required for your power goal. Get a custom set of pistons made to fit exactly what is needed since you have time to build it properly.

Having tuned a few, Carbahn engines run very well, as well as Lang Racing built S55's. But I also recommend Billiam Mason. He has built a ton of S55's and has a ton of experience with them. If I didn't build my own motors, I would send mine to Billiam.

Coated pistons are a great idea. Having the heat insulating coating on the dome and a DFL on the skirts are definitely worth it.

You need the 4 bar TMAP sensors if you want to run more than 36 psig of boost.

If you are getting the cylinder head CNC ported, then you don't need to worry about cams or MILV's. The porting alone (if done properly) increases airflow significantly
Valve float occurs at 30psi. Must upgrade valves and springs at a minimum to boost higher. Has nothing to do with tmap. Recommend fully ported head with brass guides. If not doing PI or EU5 injectors and upgraded HPFP your injectors will fail as they're not designed to run at 100% duty cycles. This is why OEM injectors fail not because of E85 fuel. The stock fueling system is fully capable of running E85 100% all of the time. Unfortunately certain tuners will max out injectors for hp. Upgraded camshafts are a bargain for 60+whp.
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #36
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Awesome info!!! You rock!

Any experience fitting an EOS manifold and Wagner TMIC without hitting the hood?

If not doing PI/Meth would you skip the EOS and use the plastic OEM manifold?
      04-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #37
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome info!!! You rock!

Any experience fitting an EOS manifold and Wagner TMIC without hitting the hood?

If not doing PI/Meth would you skip the EOS and use the plastic OEM manifold?
I initially hired a paintless dent guy who tried a lot of a manipulation, bending, tweaking, etc and it was still rubbing against bracing. Ended up cutting the bracing. it's not enough to destroy the integrity of the hood just something that you should be aware of as the Wagner is obnoxiously tall..

I didn't bother with EOS as they didn't have a full kit at the time of my 2nd build.

Fuel-it was the only complete kit on the market at the time which included the LPFP

If not using PI you should be good with spacer if it's less than 1" thick. You are using a reputable builder and they should be able to confirm.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5394.00
      04-25-2021, 07:04 AM   #38
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman_newyork View Post
Valve float occurs at 30psi. Must upgrade valves and springs at a minimum to boost higher. Has nothing to do with tmap. Recommend fully ported head with brass guides. If not doing PI or Eu6 injectors and upgraded HPFP your injectors will fail as they're not designed to run at 100% duty cycles. This is why OEM injectors fail not because of E85 fuel. The stock fueling system is fully capable of running E85 100% of the time. Unfortunately certain tuners will max out injectors for hp. Upgraded camshafts are a bargain for 60+whp.
How does your car sound with those new Schrick Cams? If you have quite the input on them, you can leave them here at this thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums//s....php?t=1739240or make a new one since me and many others haven't seen much info on them.
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #39
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
Quote:
Valve float occurs at 30psi. Must upgrade valves and springs at a minimum to boost higher. Has nothing to do with tmap. Recommend fully ported head with brass guides. If not doing PI or Eu6 injectors and upgraded HPFP your injectors will fail as they're not designed to run at 100% duty cycles. This is why OEM injectors fail not because of E85 fuel. The stock fueling system is fully capable of running E85 100% of the time. Unfortunately certain tuners will max out injectors for hp. Upgraded camshafts are a bargain for 60+whp.
How does your car sound with those new Schrick Cams? If you have quite the input on them, you can leave them here at this thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums//showthread.php?t=1739240or make a new one since me and many others haven't seen much info on them.
I'm interested to know what these cams would do in a engine with stock turbos and upgraded turbos without a fully built engine. In past cars upgraded cams and ported heads always helped, even with super charged cars. Curious as to how much and how(power band) it will help the S55.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #40
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
I'm interested to know what these cams would do in a engine with stock turbos and upgraded turbos without a fully built engine. In past cars upgraded cams and ported heads always helped, even with super charged cars. Curious as to how much and how(power band) it will help the S55.
You can't really test this unless in a position of great funding to play and test (someone please sponsor me!). I don't see that anyone gets into the couple-grand of adding a cam unless they've built a head. If you built a head you probably built a bottom-end too, so you can max out your big turbos and E85 PI. Luckily gman_newyork seems to have experience across multiple builds, and he says +60HP.

For a stock setup you might try looking into the MILVS to get more lift without a full head job, but I wouldn't. IMHO these valve train tweaks are only of value after you've gone crazy with a built motor.
      04-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #41
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Hey gman_newyork, above when you say EU6 injectors did you really mean the larger EU5 ones from M5?

I think so because you say "PI or"...and mention HPFP and Spool (commonly used to supply the big injectors using a custom tune for fueling map).

Just checkin'...
      04-25-2021, 06:16 PM   #42
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey gman_newyork, above when you say EU6 injectors did you really mean the larger EU5 ones from M5?

I think so because you say "PI or"...and mention HPFP and Spool (commonly used to supply the big injectors using a custom tune for fueling map).

Just checkin'...
I'm not at liberty to share specifics but yes M5 EU5 injectors. As for HPFP fueling kit it's not Spool. Given the number of builds I've done I've developed relationships with manufacturers. This particular setup has not been released to the public yet but will be soon. I also have a 2018 X5M stage 3+ making 800awhp that was just recently finished and I meant EU5 as the X5M is EU6. Sorry for the confusion.

If you want to see the X5M it's on Instagram @xm5tuned. It's back in Dallas being retuned as we ran out of fueling so replaced oem X5M HPFP with F90 HPFP
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5394.00
sly1types426.50
      04-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #43
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
How does your car sound with those new Schrick Cams? If you have quite the input on them, you can leave them here at this thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums//s...hp?t=1739240or make a new one since me and many others haven't seen much info on them.
I don't want to come across as an assh@le but my wallet has been hit hard along with the learning/experimenting. You can decide if you want to believe me but I cannot share everything as I've signed non disclosures at times and am not willing to risk my legal liability.

The S55 is in another state currently and I'm not going to ask the builder to share sound clips until the car is delivered in June. I will say it's not American muscle sounding nor Supra with big camshafts as I would pass just due to my dislike of that type of sound.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5394.00
      04-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #44
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How does your car sound with those new Schrick Cams? If you have quite the input on them, you can leave them here at this thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums//showthread.php?t=1739240or make a new one since me and many others haven't seen much info on them.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How does your car sound with those new Schrick Cams? If you have quite the input on them, you can leave them here at this thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums//s...hp?t=1739240or make a new one since me and many others haven't seen much info on them.
Power increase is at the top end.
Appreciate 1
irunalot1515.50