Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #67
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELPhilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Anxious to hear some real-world reviews given the traction issues the F8X has with stock power output. The $2500 likely much less than the PPK will be (although I'm sure extras will be thrown in).
Yeah, this. My F82 will just spin its wheels in first and while shifting into 2nd. more power won't make much of a difference at legal speeds.

Also, what happens with launch control when you make more power? does it adjust or will it be useless?
My wheels always chirp shifting from 1-2, 2-3 and even 3-4. Thought it was a manual problem but I guess not
      09-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #68
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Thanks again to Dinan for running the S55 on an engine dyno and providing the data. I honestly thought we would never get this data. Very cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #69
SabreE82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey M-Sport 135i

That's a huge mark up. Even considering the benefit of an intact warranty, given such little gains at the wheels...

Not to mention people have been messing around with their cars and having them regularly serviced under warranty with no issues for years.

Still entertaining the fact that not long ago they mocked the use of piggyback type tuners vs flash only. It's good to see the open minded approach nonetheless, now of they could figure out a reasonable pricing strategy
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #70
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Try getting a 42 hp gain out of an S65 for $2500
Easily Done. A tune, X-Pipe and Pulleys will net you over 42hp.
Deja vu...
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #71
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Don't have the M3...yet. But this thread is making me want to dyno my 550i stage 2 dinan. Stock is 400/440 but the dinan I have claims 501/585 hp/tq. Curious to know what I'm really putting down. I know my butt dyno says it's damn fast. Too fast sometimes.

This is cool cuz my lease is up soon and I'd likely get my M3 from the dealer Dinan installed before I pick it up
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #72
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
Thanks again to Dinan for running the S55 on an engine dyno and providing the data. I honestly thought we would never get this data. Very cool.
Do we have confirmation of it having been on a engine dyno?

If so, this would be a game changer!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #73
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Quote:
Do we have confirmation of it having been on a engine dyno?

If so, this would be a game changer!
No he hasn't answered my question yet .
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #74
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

As others have pointed out, why does the chart stop at 6500rpm?

We see the stock power curve is still rising at 6500rpm, while the modified power curve is falling!

It would be interesting to see what the gains where at 7000 and 7300rpm for instance...

Also which dyno was this on, and if it was the Dynapack. What was the whp?

The Dynapack is a hub based dyno with the obvious advantage of eliminating the slip of tires to the drum and also eliminating a lot of inertia from acceleration. It's supposedly also superior for repeatability vs a Dynojet or other chassis dynos. But, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't a Dynapack only measure WHP and doesn't have the ability to measure drivetrain losses? There is no drum, or other rotating assembly, which can be used to measure a drivetrain loss (of sorts). If correct, that means a set % has been applied to the measured WHP from the Dynapack. Correct?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #75
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Dinan, legitimate questions...

Have all efforts towards a flash been put on halt or are you still exploring this option?

Also, what makes that route so difficult in the case of these modern BMWs?

Also, will there be a Race Gas Stg in the future?
      09-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #76
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Patiently waiting for an answer to my original question

Where did the 481 hp come from?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #77
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
If you look at the format of the data it's presented in a table with 500 rpm steps. This is how for example superflow engine dynos present data as far as I've seen. The graph does not look like a chassi dyno graph, it looks like it's constructed from the table data. It seems most likely that it is engine dyno data. I guess only a straight answer from Dinan can make us 100% sure though. However it's good enough for me while we are waiting or if the answer is not provided.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #78
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
If you look at the format of the data it's presented in a table with 500 rpm steps. This is how for example superflow engine dynos present data as far as I've seen. The graph does not look like a chassi dyno graph, it looks like it's constructed from the table data. It seems most likely that it is engine dyno data. I guess only a straight answer from Dinan can make us 100% sure though. However it's good enough for me while we are waiting or if the answer is not provided.
Not that I know the answer, but the Dynapack (which isn't a chassis dyno like a Dynojet) also uses increments of 500rpm:

http://www.dynapackusa.com/power.htm

(Haven't figured out how to attach photos on the app yet...)

And just like a engine dyno, a Dynapack can be run in steady state AFAIK

Dynapack explained better here:

http://www.dp-engineering.nl/dyno/faq/

http://www.dynapackusa.com/tech.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #79
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

I just scheduled my install for Tuesday the 30th at Reeves in Tampa. I'm going to have my 1,200 service done, and then immediately have Dinan installed. I don't care about what the dyno says. I am much more interested in drive ability. I'll be sure to let everyone know my thoughts after the install. Shoot, I spent $12,000 for the Powerkit on my 911, so $2,500 for factory-like reliability seems cheap to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #80
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Sorry for the delayed response. Been a hectic day with this release. So many questions and I will do my best to answer what I can...

1.) We use a Dynapack chassis dyno and a DTS engine dyno for all of our testing. Like most OE's, we publish our crank numbers, not wheel horsepower numbers, simply to keep things as accurate as possible. Dinan test multiple cars with multiple runs and averages them so no one chassis dyno test would be representative. When we compare our engine Dyno Data to our chassis dyno data we find that most if not all chassis dyno including ours overstates the lower RPM torque values. Our chassis dyno does not do a coast down for inertia and friction corrections. If we are using the chassis dyno once we have performed multiple Chassis dyno runs and averaged them we apply different correction factors to each RPM to correct for these inflated Torque numbers. All this is done to ensure the most accurate reporting to our customers. We list both Stock and Dinan numbers using the same corrections to ensure the comparison is fair. If we are using the Engine Dyno the data is just averaged over multiple runs to get a fair average performance. With both the engine dyno and chassis dyno we ensure the room is as close to standard weather conditions as possible and all dyno runs are performed in the same weather window to ensure comparisons are fair. In most cases Dinan Dyno numbers will be lower than those you will get at low RPM because of the inaccuracy at low RPM previously mentioned. Also in most cases Dinan's numbers will be higher at hi RPM because of the work we do to ensure proper heat exchanging that we find almost no one does. A few years ago, we put together a really in-depth article on our dyno process and how even slight variables can affect the outcome of any test.

http://dinancars.com/dinan-university/ - (Dynamometer Testing and The Modern BMW Engine)

It's a long article, but it gives you a really detailed looks at the process with a conclusion that has a good breakdown of what we covered. The most accurate thing we can say is that we've observed over 36 years of tuning, with most models we've tested, that the drivetrain loss is between 6.5 and about 12 percent. It’s not as simple as a percentage, as it varies on car, transmission, RPM, vehicle speed and a myriad of other variables.

3.) After 6500 RPM there is a slight tapering until redline just like you would see on any dynojet or other dyno. It just was not illustrated so that the bulk of the curve and the peak numbers / gains were clearly defined on the chart. There is nothing hidden to redline as some may seem to think.

4.) BMW's as of recent are definitely under rated. There is no denying this and there is nothing to be gained from reporting a false gain and inflating numbers. It would ultimately come back and lead to problems including a tarnished reputation. This is why we list the factory rating as well as supply a graph with what we actually measured at stock compared to the tune. In the past such a distinction was not needed with naturally aspirated engines as these numbers for the most part were in line with the factory ratings. It should be noted however that the M3/M4 is by far the most underrated BMW we have come across. The M cars in general seem to be drastically underrated where the non-M cars are much closer in line to what they are factory rated (still underrated, but typically by a trivial amount in comparison).

5.) For the question on different maps and what not. We are in development on a iapp/android that will enable the end user to control different maps via bluetooth. Outside of the normal stages of tune we are also planning on offering multiple other pre-programmed maps including something akin to a race gas map which would be optimized for 100 octane fuel. For example here is a comparison on the M235i and various stages that we put out a couple weeks ago for rough comparison's sake. Please note all emissions standards are maintained for all stages.

Name:  D440-1605-ST1_2_loers.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  133.5 KB
Name:  M235_Stage2_lores.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  138.1 KB
Name:  M235_Stage_Race_lores.jpg
Views: 2156
Size:  139.6 KB

6.) Bottom line with Dinan is we offer a factory matching warranty which no other North American tuner does. We stand behind our product and back it by giving said warranty. We feel we also give the most polished product out there that maintains the drivability you expect from Bavaria's finest. To safely deliver smooth usable power across the power band so you can enjoy this additional 'oomph' throughout the life of the vehicle (whether you are daily driving or tracking the car) is our number one goal. We pride ourselves on drivability. Unfortunately this is not quantifiable by a number like horsepower or torque. The only way to accurately gauge this variable is by the butt dyno and the smile that comes across your face when driving. The beauty of Dinan is that we have dealers across the country and a fair amount of them have demo cars so that you can feel the Dinan difference first hand. For those that are interested in this tune or for those that are skeptical on Dinan in general I would encourage you to go to an authorized dealer and have a test drive (chances are it won't be an M3/M4, sorry) just so you can experience for yourself this difference.

And no, you won't scare us away with questions / comments. We are here to stay. The whole point of the forums for us is to deliver news and answer questions the best we can. Hopefully, along the way, educate a few people. But, that said, everyone has their opinion and is entitled to it. Hopefully it is delivered in a tasteful form, but that may be wishful thinking. =)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #81
M4LAKA
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp

I called my local Dinan Dealer(budds bmw) and the gentleman who picked up who was very helpful couldn't provide me exact answers to my questions, and said he would call Dinan in the morning again to see if it's more then a 40hp gain to the wheels so I can order it. I will post when I find out. I can have it installed within 2 weeks which is great.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #82
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I just scheduled my install for Tuesday the 30th at Reeves in Tampa. I'm going to have my 1,200 service done, and then immediately have Dinan installed. I don't care about what the dyno says. I am much more interested in drive ability. I'll be sure to let everyone know my thoughts after the install. Shoot, I spent $12,000 for the Powerkit on my 911, so $2,500 for factory-like reliability seems cheap to me.
Please let us know what you think. In the end, user reviews are what are important. We are sure you will be pleased with what our tuning solution offers.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #83
M4LAKA
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Please let us know what you think. In the end, user reviews are what are important. We are sure you will be pleased with what our tuning solution offers.

Sorry about what may seem like a stupid questions, but what are the peak gains you saw with the tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #84
solstice
Major General
Rep

Thank you so much for the response. Can you confirm that the S55 was put on the engine dyno as part of the testing of this product? It does sound like you test all tunes on both the chassi and engine dyno but I wasn't sure if I read it right.

Also isn't dts and superflow the same company now under the superflow name?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #85
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparta1 View Post
Sorry about what may seem like a stupid questions, but what are the peak gains you saw with the tune?
Definitely a stupid question.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14
      09-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #86
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

If uou only ran the car on the chassis dyno...how do you come up with drivetrain loss?

And how does the losses from the e9x compare to the f8x

FYI I agree that the evidence all points to the car being well underrated, quite honestly it seems obvious.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #87
AutoPG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Ordered today. I'll report with my butt dyno.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #88
Dieselmd
Private
Rep
Drives: MW SO M4 DCT. EB M235i

Firstly, thank you to Dinan for pursuing this project. Bmw encrypted ECU's have proven to be the toughest to crack yet so much so that Cobb Tuning won't be offering an AP for this car.
According to the employee I spoke with today and I quote," BMW since 2012 have equipped these cars with Level 10 NSA Encryted ECU's. Can we crack it, yes but it is not worth the time and effort".
These are painful ECU's so those that take the countless hours to test, tune and provide the enthusiast with options should be supported. I would like to think that the guys who have been part of this community for a while know who the good ones are and those that blow smoke up peoples' @$$-$.

Again, thank you to those who continue to work to provide us with more solutions with the cars we all love!
Appreciate 0