Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #45
lunden
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13 800RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
I'm also interesting in making the ZCP flash. And the reasons are that the ZCP car other DSC coding which should be better on the track. And I need my car to be 450hp with the DPs to take part in the time-attak competition. The gt3 class allow 450hp turbo hp with 1640 kg weight. So it is good to optimyze the car for the regulation шт this class.

And Also it is good to have different maps, like for DD, for Track day and for the drag. It would be nice to have this 3 types on the button - Comfort (DD), Sport (Track), Sport+ (Drag).
Why not GTS calibrations
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #46
lunden
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Sorry what is TCU? I have a complete list of ECUs on my F82, never encountered that one. Or did you mean Traction Control Unit, as in the DSC ECU?
TCU Transmission control unit, also referred as EGS.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #47
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunden
Quote:
Sorry what is TCU? I have a complete list of ECUs on my F82, never encountered that one. Or did you mean Traction Control Unit, as in the DSC ECU?
TCU Transmission control unit, also referred as EGS.
Thanks, on our cars it is EGS Electronische Getriebe Steuerung, Learn a new generic acronym everyday! It was in Note 3, should have remembered. Cool!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #48
lunden
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, on our cars it is EGS Electronische Getriebe Steuerung, Learn a new generic acronym everyday! It was in Note 3, should have remembered. Cool!
EGS is in german
Like ECU, it is referred as DME (Digitale Motor Elektronik).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #49
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunden
...EGS is in german
Like ECU, it is referred as DME (Digitale Motor Elektronik).
OT, I always thought ECU also stands for Electronic Control Unit not just Engine Control Unit, which would mean any unit in the car... That's why I like referring to the German acronyms, because most are displayed in German in ISTA/D and are car specific, like GHAS for the rear differential lock (don't ask me what it means in Deutsch). Sorry for derailing a bit! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 05:23 PM   #50
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Is there any chance this tool will let us 6MT drivers tweak the rev match function? For example: enable/disable rev matching in any drive mode, rev matching only on downshift, etc.

I desperately need these features.

Also, could this tool allow us to convert non-ZCP to ZCP?
THIS
      05-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #51
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4
Its super easy to do. I had mine out in literally 15-20 minutes. You just disconnect the front hose to the water cooler, loosen two little screws on the charge pipe couplers and pull the white plastic insert securing the charge pipe and the top comes off. No need to remove the cowl or the carbon brace. You use a long ratchet extension to take off the intake manifold bolts and pull it over to the side and you can reach down and disconnect the ECU connectors and the whole intake manifold with the ECU comes out. Done!
Now that would save some time. I'm surprised you didn't run into issues getting the intake manifold around all the sensor wires and harnesses.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #52
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Hey guys, here's a little sneak peak into some (close to 40 data channels) logging concurrently with bootmod3 of ~240+ available after we removed about half as not 'really' necessary to have. This is just an IDLE datalog to demonstrate quickly one of the critical aspects to custom tuning any car, being able to datalog.

Here's a link to the publicly viewable datalog up on datazap.me, a great log sharing website developed by one of our long time N54 community members, that many use out there for log viewing and exchange with their tuners:

http://datazap.me/u/bootmod3/idle-lo...-38&zoom=16-26

For those of you that haven't had a chance to monitor/view the inner workings of an S55, starting with an idle log is a nice way to start!

Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:06 PM   #53
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Holy crap! Nice!! I know you guys are constantly changing things still but thought I'd ask anyways, are logging units switchable from Imperial to Metric? No big deal just first thing that popped into my mind seeing the log. I say release it!! LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 12:09 AM   #54
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Quote:
Is there any chance this tool will let us 6MT drivers tweak the rev match function? For example: enable/disable rev matching in any drive mode, rev matching only on downshift, etc.

X 2!!^^ Please let us know about this?? Thx
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #55
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Quote:
A bit off topic, ... The most recent BMW software update 58.x introduce improvements to DSC amongst other ECUs to both car variants, read this thread and this thread (post 32 for DSC coding differences)

In order to flash the updates, you either ask the dealer/3rd party to do it, or your do it with the same software we code our cars with. I think maybe there is confusion between flashing BMW OEM software (updates many ECUs) and flashing 3rd party tunes/maps (mostly DME I think).

If a third party company says they offer a ZCP flash, including a HP increase, I'd bet that it is a custom tune for the HP increase, and not using BMWs tune as the latter uses a license key (FSC Enabling code) that is installed into ZCP cars to enable the ZCP software improvements. Whether some company claims they have hacked, cracked, defeated those checks is yet to be validated!

Note 14 in the first post, mentions it will be possible to flash back stock performance map (DME) but no mention of the capability to flash any other ECU (DSC, ICM, EGS, GHAS, ...) which is usually done with Esys (or ISTA/P by dealer).
Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #56
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:

Celestion we haven't looked at adjusting/adjustable rev matching functionality just yet due to priorities on our plate at the moment but rest assured we've got it in on the radar and we'll be looking into it for sure hopefully very soon.

There are 10s of thousands of calibration tables in the DME for many things defined by Bosch, calibrated at the factory by BMW. Anything from the typical performance tuning data to emissions handling to scaling of various sensors, dealing with wear/aging patterns for sensors such as O2s, torque management for traction management etc etc is in them. On top of that there is a layer of application logic that uses those tables and in most cases a feature will be adjustable entirely by adjusting a given feature's table data which is also changeable but far more complex.

Part of what we're working on is looking at that plethora of calibration tables, understanding table relationships and their values and how Bosch/BMW intended them to be used and creating a core subset of tables for tuners and enthusiasts out there to use to help custom tune each individual setup to get the most out of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #57
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Looks great! Let me know if you need someone to beta test in the hot Florida weather

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #58
Acree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting...

Coming from the Evo community where pretty much the entire community uses a completely opensource tuning solution...

TAKE MY MONEY.

Release it and I will buy it. This is amazing.

Past
03 MB E55 AMG, 16 Grigio Medio F80 M3, 11 E92 M3, 13 BRZ, 06 Evo IX, 05 350Z
Appreciate 3
      05-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #59
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Celestion we haven't looked at adjusting/adjustable rev matching functionality just yet due to priorities on our plate at the moment but rest assured we've got it in on the radar and we'll be looking into it for sure hopefully very soon.

There are 10s of thousands of calibration tables in the DME for many things defined by Bosch, calibrated at the factory by BMW. Anything from the typical performance tuning data to emissions handling to scaling of various sensors, dealing with wear/aging patterns for sensors such as O2s, torque management for traction management etc etc is in them. On top of that there is a layer of application logic that uses those tables and in most cases a feature will be adjustable entirely by adjusting a given feature's table data which is also changeable but far more complex.

Part of what we're working on is looking at that plethora of calibration tables, understanding table relationships and their values and how Bosch/BMW intended them to be used and creating a core subset of tables for tuners and enthusiasts out there to use to help custom tune each individual setup to get the most out of it.
Yeah that process sounds time consuming and difficult.....reminds of using Cheat Engine (memory scanner/hex editor/debugger) back when I was a wee lad. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that rev matching customization is of interest to the dev team!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #60
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
Coming from the Evo community where pretty much the entire community uses a completely opensource tuning solution...

TAKE MY MONEY.

Release it and I will buy it. This is amazing.
I'm hoping this will be like the F8x's version of ECUFlash! I'm warning you, the Bosch DME is very advanced, way beyond what Mitsubishi was using. I pray PTF knows what they're doing on deciphering these tables.

IG and Twitter: @CaryTheLabelGuy
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #61
M3SSY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 / F80 M3

Really hoping someone figures out how to get past the encryption without removing the dme.... your work is exciting though and I can't wait to see what the limits are with the stock hardware
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #62
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SSY View Post
Really hoping someone figures out how to get past the encryption without removing the dme.... your work is exciting though and I can't wait to see what the limits are with the stock hardware
I ain't holding my breath for that. Do it yourself and its an hour and send it overnight or give it to some local shop who can work with these guys or anyone else who knows how to unlock. Worst case scenario with any tune even piggybacks just grab yourself another ECU if you need to go into the stealer for some serious warranty shit.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #63
M3SSY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 / F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
I ain't holding my breath for that. Do it yourself and its an hour and send it overnight or give it to some local shop who can work with these guys or anyone else who knows how to unlock. Worst case scenario with any tune even piggybacks just grab yourself another ECU if you need to go into the stealer for some serious warranty shit.
That was actually my strategy in my b5 s4... I just bought a modded ecu and stuck it in and put my stock one on the shelf... never needed it, but my understanding was that was not possible with the f80
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #64
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Very nice!

Do you have full control of Vanos as well as logging for stft's, ltft's and full fueling scaling ability?
      05-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #65
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

So Epic!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 10:21 PM   #66
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Very nice!

Do you have full control of Vanos as well as logging for stft's, ltft's and full fueling scaling ability?
Yes sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Holy crap! Nice!! I know you guys are constantly changing things still but thought I'd ask anyways, are logging units switchable from Imperial to Metric? No big deal just first thing that popped into my mind seeing the log. I say release it!! LOL
Absolutely, both modes selectable in the app. We've made it so it defaults to the units default for a given country. DME though always communicates back in Metric and we do the necessary unit translation as well as trouble code description translation when reading codes out. We prefer tuning in Imperial though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
So Epic!
Appreciate 1