proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-28-2016, 10:35 PM   #23
N54MPower
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desborough View Post
I believe so maybe it's just the pipes but I thought it all was? Not sure now
The muffler is titanium, the pipes are stainless steel.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2016, 11:07 PM   #24
slavearm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5CE MBB/SS

I had the crack at the same place. Looking at your photos and mine, seems like they did a little too much grinding.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #25
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Same with me. I will take a look in the morning.
Sounds even better after almost 10,000 miles and I do enjoy it so I hope it is all good.
Appreciate 1
MW16M357.50
      09-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #26
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf46 View Post
Here is a hi-res of the split on drivers side, dealer ordered a new MPE. Should get it installed tomorrow.
holy shit that is bad. definitely manufacturing defect.

thanks for the pictures. will definitely keep an eye out on the mufflers. thank goodness i got mine at installed at the dealers to keep the warranty in tact.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #27
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Well, I should have read sooner, my loss I guess. I purchased a used MPE today with 18k on it and low and behold I ran downstairs to see if it was starting to split. Only on the right side on the can, looks like if I find someone who can weld titanium in my area this will be a quick fix. Even though there is no way this part could be out of warranty due to age of the newest exhaust possible, BMW will be no help to me (as usual).

#splitgate

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
fjabad47.50
      10-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #28
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Dinan

It really is disappointing for the cost of these units. No help for me from BMW either
      10-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #29
te37
Major
Rep

Quote:
It really is disappointing for the cost of these units. No help for me from BMW either
They are all stamped up with BMW logos and part numbers you would think it is something that could be traded in, hell ship it Germany and have it fixed and sent back or something.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #30
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Wow. These cracks are going to get worse too, unfortunately.

Somebody needs to take BMW to task over this bullshit. MPE is grossly overpriced as it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #31
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

so should anyone still buy a used mpe?
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #32
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
I would definitely request extensive pics before ever considering a used MP exhaust at this point.
      10-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #33
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desborough
Quote:
I would definitely request extensive pics before ever considering a used MP exhaust at this point.
It sucks because even if it is intact before the sale and cracks down the road. The warranty won't cover it because apparently I'm the second owner and it wasn't installed at bmw and blah blah. What a load of shit for a 7k exhaust. I was so down to pull the trigger on a used one
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #34
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desborough
Quote:
It sucks because even if it is intact before the sale and cracks down the road. The warranty won't cover it because apparently I'm the second owner and it wasn't installed at bmw and blah blah. What a load of shit for a 7k exhaust. I was so down to pull the trigger on a used one
That's where I am I can't produce a receipt for BMW since I'm the third owner of the car so they will not warranty it on that technicality. They will replace it if I can produce a receipt which I can't so it kinda sucks. Car only has 13k on it so and hasn't even been titled on the road 2 years yet so MP exhaust is definitely less than 2 years old. It is aggravating I don't think I would ever buy one used now. If you have documentation you are good for a replacement but without it you are screwed. Obviously there is some sort of design flaw
      10-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #35
te37
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Stay down with buying a used one, plus lets be honest for a second. The way this thing works is not under load the exhaust gasses go through the muffler can. Under load (heavy throttle) the valves open and the exhaust gasses bypass the muffler anyways. So the "cracking" we see should not affect the sound or performance. Should it be fixed: yes. Immediately: not necessary.

Now I have some one local that will be welding mine back up. The bad part is the can must come off the car to do so, so I will need a off day to drive the muffler can over to the shop with the GF's car. I will also post a rough estimate as to what it cost to repair then we can adjust the used MPE accordingly.

P.S. this exhaust sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #36
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
I made an appt at local dealership here in CLE Classic BMW. Grey area here is I am third owner to the car. Bought it with 6k, has 12 now. First owner leased it and turned it in 3 months later with 800 miles. Second owner put a little over 5k on it. Then I bought it. Car was originally titled in 12/14. So MP exhaust is warrantied for 2 years but I'm hoping that's not to original owner only? Hoping they can work it out for me. They have been really good to me on my 335i for service so far so I'm hoping they can help out here. If not it gets welded but I'm hoping BMWNA springs for a new unit and just swaps it out. For 5k exhaust I can't imagine this happens with only 12k mileage no way that's right
To answer your first post OP, unfortunately here in service I've seen two MPE's form hairline cracks around the welds(which is obviously unusual and abnormal) but in both cases we were able to parts warranty it simply because 1) the first guest had the MPE installed at the port and 2) the second guest actually purchased it at his local dealer. In your particular case it may not work towards your favor because it's an item that you specifically did not purchase but more so acquired it because it was already existent on your vehicle when purchased pre-owned. Your best bet would be to contact BMW customer relations and plead your case and see what they can do for you first and take it from there.
      10-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #37
te37
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
To answer your first post OP, unfortunately here in service I've seen two MPE's form hairline cracks around the welds(which is obviously unusual and abnormal) but in both cases we were able to parts warranty it simply because 1) the first guest had the MPE installed at the port and 2) the second guest actually purchased it at his local dealer. In your particular case it may not work towards your favor because it's an item that you specifically did not purchase but more so acquired it because it was already existent on your vehicle when purchased pre-owned. Your best bet would be to contact BMW customer relations and plead your case and see what they can do for you first and take it from there.
So would someone that purchased a used MPE be completely SOL? I mean it shouldn't matter how many hands the MPE has been through it is still a BMW part with a build quality issue. No possible incorrect install could crack the welds in this area.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #38
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService
Quote:
I made an appt at local dealership here in CLE Classic BMW. Grey area here is I am third owner to the car. Bought it with 6k, has 12 now. First owner leased it and turned it in 3 months later with 800 miles. Second owner put a little over 5k on it. Then I bought it. Car was originally titled in 12/14. So MP exhaust is warrantied for 2 years but I'm hoping that's not to original owner only? Hoping they can work it out for me. They have been really good to me on my 335i for service so far so I'm hoping they can help out here. If not it gets welded but I'm hoping BMWNA springs for a new unit and just swaps it out. For 5k exhaust I can't imagine this happens with only 12k mileage no way that's right
Ok I will try that thank you for the information
      10-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #39
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
So would someone that purchased a used MPE be completely SOL? I mean it shouldn't matter how many hands the MPE has been through it is still a BMW part with a build quality issue. No possible incorrect install could crack the welds in this area.
I wouldn't necessarily they're entirely SOL, however the chances of one getting it covered under warranty second hand may be difficult... Unless like I said it was either port installed or unless the original owner can give a copy of the purchase order to the next order(for this particular reason). Understanding that logically it doesn't make sense but like most businesses there is a protocol and guideline that has to be followed. Apparently based on this short thread, guess it's more common that I had imagined...
      10-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #40
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54MPower View Post
The muffler is titanium, the pipes are stainless steel.
Aren't they inconel?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #41
te37
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Aren't they inconel?
I don't think there is any inconel on the MPE system
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #42
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
Not that rare apparently. My friend checked his today and its cracked in the exact same spot.

Spend your money on an Akra Slip-on it seems..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #43
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Oh hell no, there went the MPE resale value......I will check mine. My ride is 2nd hand and it was already installed. Cracked or not gonna run it till it falls off
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #44
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Not that rare apparently. My friend checked his today and its cracked in the exact same spot.

Spend your money on an Akra Slip-on it seems..
Yeah it's unfortunate, guess it's more common here on the interweb... I've literally only seen two recently in my service department.