BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-30-2016, 02:35 AM   #1
djw007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i

NO Burble, NO Crackle, NO Pop, WHY???

I've gotta say i do like my car, however the lack of any sort of exhaust dynamics is a massive disappointment.

I've come from an F30 335I and the exhaust burble, overrun, and character of that car leaves the M3 for dead. (NOTE: I did have an MPE on the F30)
HOW is this possible? At what point did all the engineers and executives at BMW stand behind an F80 prototype and say "yeah, that's it, that sounds so sweet, everyone is going to go nuts over this"... I cant imagine that ever happened!!

It really is hard to believe considering they have engineers assigned to the development of the cars exhaust and sound. Even the ASD sounds dreadful, if your going to fake it at least make that sound nice!!!

SO, what do BMW go and do next after selling thousands of M3/4's over the first couple of years? They release the competition pack!! And low and behold.. the desired exhaust sounds magically appear.

What i find really disappointing is the fact that the exhaust dynamics are pretty much a matter of tuning, this i'm sure could of been easily achieved from day one.

Why did they hold this back?

I thought i was buying the ultimate BMW sports car, i like many others just assumed it was going to sound incredible, like an actual sports car. IT DOESN'T, and i'd love to know WHY?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
I've gotta say i do like my car, however the lack of any sort of exhaust dynamics is a massive disappointment.

I've come from an F30 335I and the exhaust burble, overrun, and character of that car leaves the M3 for dead. (NOTE: I did have an MPE on the F30)
HOW is this possible? At what point did all the engineers and executives at BMW stand behind an F80 prototype and say "yeah, that's it, that sounds so sweet, everyone is going to go nuts over this"... I cant imagine that ever happened!!

It really is hard to believe considering they have engineers assigned to the development of the cars exhaust and sound. Even the ASD sounds dreadful, if your going to fake it at least make that sound nice!!!

SO, what do BMW go and do next after selling thousands of M3/4's over the first couple of years? They release the competition pack!! And low and behold.. the desired exhaust sounds magically appear.

What i find really disappointing is the fact that the exhaust dynamics are pretty much a matter of tuning, this i'm sure could of been easily achieved from day one.

I thought i was buying the ultimate BMW sports car, i like many others just assumed it was going to sound incredible, like an actual sports car. IT DOESN'T, and i'd love to know WHY?
All comes down to preference and tuning. We unlock burble with a tune. Its just the OEM design of the vehicle. On my F80 when i had it i had MPE + DP and the thing sang a beautiful note but i never wanted it to burble or backfire. The M3/4 is an excellent car but when was the last time a manufacturer hit the nail on the head with the entire populations desires?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
mray
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GLC63AMGs, Mclaren 570s

I know where you are coming from. I think you should be able to get some cracks and burbles with the installation of a Mid Pipe which remove secondary cats, I would go that route as its the cheapest without going for a whole new exhaust..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
They kept the crack, burbles and pops for the Competition Pack.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
I've gotta say i do like my car, however the lack of any sort of exhaust dynamics is a massive disappointment...

We have a Certified HEX Tuning Dealer in Australia who can fix this for you with our
HEX Tuning - Features ONLY - Software File.

You can even go one step further and get our Stage ONE, which is all of the 'Features'
with the benefit of added power! (60-70HP and 90-100TQ, at the wheels!)

Here's a glimpse at the features offered with our software, which are the most authentic
and closely representative of the features found on the M4 GTS model available:

Appreciate 2
mray162.00
MasterP721.00
      11-30-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
Fugazii
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82/2022

If you buy a AMG priced at $100K you don't get it as well! My 911 Turbo modded with straight pipes is more quiet than my current M4 what can I say?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

OP, I 100% agree.

The non-ZCP F8x should have had the aggressive overrun AND M Sports exhaust (ZCP exhaust) from the beginning. The S55's exhaust note/tone wouldn't have gotten such a bad rap from EVERYBODY (especially press) had BMW spent more time on the exhaust note and tuning.

The M2 has plenty of overrun burble (not as aggressive as the F8x ZCP/GTS) as does the M235/240i, 335/340i with Performance/Sound Package and the base M3/M4 doesn't?

I'm very thankful I have a ZCP M4, I doubt BMW will ever offer a ZCP DME retrofit, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2020 M340i, 2019 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Just buy the M Performance exhaust. You'll get great burbles with no added tune!
      11-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #9
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalley View Post
Just buy the M Performance exhaust. You'll get great burbles with no added tune!
No you won't. I have an MPE, no burbles or overrun. It does sound nice and deep..but not what the OP is referring which is the one thing I hate as well.
Not interested in unlocking DMEs and risking warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #10
G1n Mast3r
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Individual F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
No you won't. I have an MPE, no burbles or overrun. It does sound nice and deep..but not what the OP is referring which is the one thing I hate as well.
I probably will, after my warranty ends :P

But to answer the OP, I like the burbles and wish I had them but now that unlocking DME's has provided less than adequate results from dealers flagging and causing warranty issues, I'll stay away for now. An exhaust helps a little bit, as it makes the stock Overrun much more noticeable, it's still is not a substitute for tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1n Mast3r View Post
I probably will, after my warranty ends :P

But to answer the OP, I like the burbles and wish I had them but now that unlocking DME's has provided less than adequate results from dealers flagging and causing warranty issues, I'll stay away for now. An exhaust helps a little bit, as it makes the stock Overrun much more noticeable, it's still is not a substitute for tune.
The stock overrun is almost non-existent.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #12
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
More than likely referring to the F8x queef/fart on acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #13
DavidGP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG F80 6spd

Tons of burbles and crackles with DP's and JB4, valves open driving through parking lots. Sounds natural too, not forced and overdone.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:01 PM   #14
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

my 15' didn't burble but my 16 burbles and sometimes backfires. both had akra evo installed. Car is not a ZCP and no DPs.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 12:53 AM   #15
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by egalley View Post
I have the MPE and definitely get the burbles and overrun once the engine has warmed up a little. It sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 01:53 AM   #16
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
ZCP with MPE is the best combo IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 03:26 AM   #17
djw007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i

Seems to me a lot of people are disappointed by this.

It's unfortunate there's not a simple fix, for me i certainly don't want to risk an AM Tune and a voided warranty.

The exhaust option is probably best but they are just ludicrously overpriced!

Maybe BMW will see to this with a software update and some goodwill for its loyal customers and early adopters. But i definitely wont be holding my breath.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #18
G1n Mast3r
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Individual F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
That's true. I'll agree with that it's nothing compared to ZCP or GTS, but I can clearly hear overrun. Albeit it could me just me though. My AWE Nonres does crackle and pop ever so slightly, But as CaryTheLabelGuy says it's basically nonexistent.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #19
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

I think it is kinda funny we are complaining about lacking a behavior that is actually an undesirable effect. Any noise made during overrun is due to unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust system. This is not how an internal combustion engine is supposed to work. The overrun burbles and pops were common in carbureted and older port injected engines because the metering of fuel was less controlled. Our engines are high precision direct injected affairs which would prevent that kind of waste. Any overrun noises that are added to the S55 will be the result of artificially changing the tune to make it less efficient.

P.S. The "fart" that the S55 makes is actually the result of an anti-lag system designed to keep the turbos spooled during gear changes. If we really wanted the absolute best performance from the engine you would get constant farting during overrun rather than little burbles.

Just seems funny to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #20
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
I think it is kinda funny we are complaining about lacking a behavior that is actually an undesirable effect. Any noise made during overrun is due to unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust system. This is not how an internal combustion engine is supposed to work. The overrun burbles and pops were common in carbureted and older port injected engines because the metering of fuel was less controlled. Our engines are high precision direct injected affairs which would prevent that kind of waste. Any overrun noises that are added to the S55 will be the result of artificially changing the tune to make it less efficient.

P.S. The "fart" that the S55 makes is actually the result of an anti-lag system designed to keep the turbos spooled during gear changes. If we really wanted the absolute best performance from the engine you would get constant farting during overrun rather than little burbles.

Just seems funny to me.
Personally speaking, I would prefer a more exotic sound to the exhaust and as silly and tacky as it sounds, burbles/cracks help with that. The car should stand out in the way it sounds. It stands out in every other way, looks/performance etc..

I bought a special car, I would like it to sound like one.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #21
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
It is all preference.

I prefer not catching unwanted attention from everyone, including cops and douchebag drivers.

It is nice to have the option but I don't want my M4 to sound like a F-Type. I don't like the crackling and burbling, it gets irritating for me.
Judd11.00
      12-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #22
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

I've heard the burbles in person...not too much of a fan. But i guess it's loudness and frequency can be controlled by whatever tune it's on. I have an AWE non-res exhaust (which does remove the secondary cats) and my "burble" is perfect with NO tune I don't have a ZCP M4 or any tune. Sounds great! I have, however, also heard a stock ZCP car and it does sound pretty good too.