Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #309
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Nick -- how do you factor trailbraking into this (or perhaps you implicitly are)? Are you assuming the driver is trailbraking at the point of brake release? I ask because generally trailbraking would delay full release of the brake, instead of advancing it sooner as you suggest -- but appropriately performed trailbraking would help to rotate the car and mitigate understeer to some extent, all other things equal (right?)
Hi J, point of the feedback I was getting was that I shouldn’t be thinking of the trailing brake as the way to rotate the car and sent the minimum speed at the corner entry.

I should release the trailing brake sooner so there’s more entry speed, initiate a 4 wheel slide (and use catching that small slide to rotate the car) and let the tires sliding dictate the min speed.

In the data logs, coach was still decelerating while already on maintenance throttle because he was entering in a 4 wheel slide, whereas I was decelerating using the trailing brake and getting to gas later. This cost me exit speed loss of 1-2 mph and that compounded into the next section of track and was a big time loss for me. Looking forward to practicing more at next sonoma open test on 2/20
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #310
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Hi J, point of the feedback I was getting was that I shouldn’t be thinking of the trailing brake as the way to rotate the car and sent the minimum speed at the corner entry.

I should release the trailing brake sooner so there’s more entry speed, initiate a 4 wheel slide (and use catching that small slide to rotate the car) and let the tires sliding dictate the min speed.

In the data logs, coach was still decelerating while already on maintenance throttle because he was entering in a 4 wheel slide, whereas I was decelerating using the trailing brake and getting to gas later. This cost me exit speed loss of 1-2 mph and that compounded into the next section of track and was a big time loss for me. Looking forward to practicing more at next sonoma open test on 2/20
Got it... obviously you're a way better driver than me!!! For my own curiosity, the mechanism by which you generate your said 4 wheel slide is some combination of the effect of trailbraking, just throwing the car into the corner, and maybe a little power oversteer? I'm probably overthinking this, but I find it an interesting exercise to break this stuff down into smaller pieces. Helps me learn. And thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:05 PM   #311
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Got it... obviously you're a way better driver than me!!! For my own curiosity, the mechanism by which you generate your said 4 wheel slide is some combination of the effect of trailbraking, just throwing the car into the corner, and maybe a little power oversteer? I'm probably overthinking this, but I find it an interesting exercise to break this stuff down into smaller pieces. Helps me learn. And thanks!

J, i’m still getting up the curve myself. Using a cheapo miata that’s super durable, with full safety gear and a proven setup plus a good data setup has helped me a grow a lot last year versus using a street car like f80 or 911 turbo that was super powerful and too expensive for me to crash (so I didn’t want to max out the corner entry)

Please take a look at this video from a recent test at Sonoma. Note that the coach’s time earlier in the day was 1:59 so I am 8+s off the pace.

4:50 is an example of what you asked about when I entered t3. I pretty much am tossing the car in and then catching it. (I did release the throttle too early and coasted into the corner)

5:00 is an example of the technique gap I posted about when I’m entering t4. . I turned in with a trailing brake and set the min speed with the trail braking. My correction did not come until after I picked back the throttle at the apex. I am working to release the brake earlier and use a small slide to set the min speed and car angle.

At 5:15 I am doing a better job mid corner of t6 getting the car to the limit mid corner but I still used the brakes at entry of t6 to set the min speed, instead of sliding it through right from the entry.

Hope this helps, and if Maynard or other members want to critique coach the vid, please feel free. I would welcome the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #312
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
J, i’m still getting up the curve myself. Using a cheapo miata that’s super durable, with full safety gear and a proven setup plus a good data setup has helped me a grow a lot last year versus using a street car like f80 or 911 turbo that was super powerful and too expensive for me to crash (so I didn’t want to max out the corner entry)

Please take a look at this video from a recent test at Sonoma. Note that the coach’s time earlier in the day was 1:59 so I am 8+s off the pace.

4:50 is an example of what you asked about when I entered t3. I pretty much am tossing the car in and then catching it. (I did release the throttle too early and coasted into the corner)

5:00 is an example of the technique gap I posted about when I’m entering t4. . I turned in with a trailing brake and set the min speed with the trail braking. My correction did not come until after I picked back the throttle at the apex. I am working to release the brake earlier and use a small slide to set the min speed and car angle.

At 5:15 I am doing a better job mid corner of t6 getting the car to the limit mid corner but I still used the brakes at entry of t6 to set the min speed, instead of sliding it through right from the entry.

Hope this helps, and if Maynard or other members want to critique coach the vid, please feel free. I would welcome the feedback.
Cool, thanks much for the theory/video correlation. Admittedly a little hard for me to discern visually what you're referring to at first glance, but I plan to spend some more time looking at those turns and where your brake/throttle inputs are.

Before getting into this stuff more a couple years ago, I never appreciated the degree of nuanced physics and theory that go into trying to be fast through corners. It's been fun learning these fundamentals and then trying to implement them in practice.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:06 AM   #313
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
. It's been fun learning these fundamentals and then trying to implement them in practice.
I’ve been toying with the idea of not running my car this year and renting it to friends and just using iracing. You can buy a 911 cup for like $20. Haha

Even cheap w2w added up. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:23 PM   #314
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for sharing the video! I like using Miata times as a benchmark for what I shoot for with my heavy (4200lbs) and low-hp (~190whp) wagon. The power to weight ratio is similar (although I think miatas still have a bit of a better ratio).

Do you think you can carry more speed in T10, or are you holding back because of the wall? I noticed that's one area where I thought you can carry more speed than me.

I went to Sonoma for my second time last Nov and my best was 2:04:51.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #315
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Thanks for sharing the video! I like using Miata times as a benchmark for what I shoot for with my heavy (4200lbs) and low-hp (~190whp) wagon. The power to weight ratio is similar (although I think miatas still have a bit of a better ratio).

Do you think you can carry more speed in T10, or are you holding back because of the wall? I noticed that's one area where I thought you can carry more speed than me.

I went to Sonoma for my second time last Nov and my best was 2:04:51.
Absolutely. My min speed in t10 should be more like 90mph instead of 80mph

I had a huge off at t10 a while ago and am chasing the seconds elsewhere before I tackle t10
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #316
CRRobert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Avus Blue ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Two sets of Apex flow formed wheels with no knurling, does come on their forged wheels though. Contrast with Bimmerworld, all of theirs, flow formed and forged, come with knurling.
Ok, looks like their website says they have upgraded them to have the knurling now when I just looked, so not sure when it shifted over. Will have to double check mine.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #317
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
J
Just glue that gas pedal on the floor man. Who ever needs to lift it in a Miata?

I think you know all the answers, like matching your coach's line and speed at all corners and braving up more (like we all need to). Nice that you have a coach and other drivers to get data from. I didn't have any reference like that so my reference was a GT3 video. The track looks lovely, hills and all the bumps and all that little bit of everything. T10 definitely looks dangerous!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #318
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve been toying with the idea of not running my car this year and renting it to friends and just using iracing. You can buy a 911 cup for like $20. Haha

Even cheap w2w added up. Lol.
Negative ghost rider. Lol! No way you’ll do that.

I told my wife at the end of 2019, I’d be taking 2020 off until May. I’m getting ready to do my second race of 2020 next weekend.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 1
nicknaz3187.00
      02-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #319
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Negative ghost rider. Lol! No way you’ll do that.

I told my wife at the end of 2019, I’d be taking 2020 off until May. I’m getting ready to do my second race of 2020 next weekend.
Yea, I have egg on my face from posting that BS.

Did testing in Jan, another test coming up next week, signed up for NASA norcal season opening in March, and a drift school that’s also in March.

At least I am using IRacing, like I posted
Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      02-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #320
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Great one.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #321
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
Anyone install a lightweight battery in their f8x for HPDE’s ? Couldn’t find one, but if there is already a thread discussing this...got a link ?
My F82 GTS has a lithium battery that is already pretty light. I'm pretty certain the regular F80/F82 also come with a lithium battery. I'm guessing the F87 comes with a regular lead-acid battery?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #322
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes....M2 has a VRLA AGM battery..same as f80/82 as far as I know....looking for a LW alternative.
Huh, maybe the F8x ZCP has the same lithium battery, the trickle charger I picked up had a lot of reviews from M3/M4 users.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #323
ment4t
Private
Rep
Drives: Track-Legal MW F82

All F8x have lithium batteries!
(although I am willing to be proven wrong)
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11478.00
      02-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #324
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes....M2 has a VRLA AGM battery..same as f80/82 as far as I know....looking for a LW alternative.
https://braillebattery.com/products/i48cx

I was looking into that for my p-car. Not super interesting in paying $5k for the oem motorsport version
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #325
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
https://braillebattery.com/products/i48cx

I was looking into that for my p-car. Not super interesting in paying $5k for the oem motorsport version
https://earthxbatteries.com/ could be another option. Local manufacturer for me in Colorado.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:16 PM   #326
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Hey guys, figured that instead of making a whole new thread, i will just ask here. Getting ready to do my second track day at Ridge Motorsports park on April 11th here in Pacific Northwest and wondering if my PSS tires will last 6 sessions (20 minutes each). Please let me know if i should just get new tires with camber plates or run my second ever track day like this and then get camber plates and new tires after!
Picture where you see a piece of while car is rear tire.
Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:36 PM   #327
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Hey guys, figured that instead of making a whole new thread, i will just ask here. Getting ready to do my second track day at Ridge Motorsports park on April 11th here in Pacific Northwest and wondering if my PSS tires will last 6 sessions (20 minutes each). Please let me know if i should just get new tires with camber plates or run my second ever track day like this and then get camber plates and new tires after!
Thank you
I've never been to ridge but these tires look good. I can't see any premature outer wear looking at them on my iPhone. Rears will last longer than the fronts. My MPSS lasted 3 auto-X's and 2 track days (ACS and Big Willow) before the shoulders were toast.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 02-20-2020 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
aswy6261.00
      02-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #328
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Thank you
That's still fine
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #329
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Thank you
That's still fine
Thank you for reply! What about wet conditions?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #330
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for reply! What about wet conditions?
They look good.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0