Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #111
MNR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Pretty interesting OP. I’ve been following this since the beginning and am glad you got the car sorted out.

If you’re really curious on who owned your car prior to you, you can go to your service department and have them print out their warranty coverage/history document. When I was shopping I got my hands on this document and it showed the previous owners name and address. I’d be curious to know if this was a press car or perhaps promo car registered to BMW NA.

Alternatively, if you have the window sticker you would be able to see the delivery dealer. I would again be very curious to see if it was a random dealer or BMW NA. Hell I would give the dealer a call and ask for any record they had regarding the car.

I suppose I may be adding fuel to the fire but I want to know how this slipped through the cracks as well!
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2020, 11:56 PM   #112
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
if DOT says no sedans can have rear privacy glass, how did this 30th jahre edition get a pass? my m2 shouldve came with amber turn signals then
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:46 AM   #113
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Do you think it is a coach builders model and the rear windows are actually ballistic rated!??Ooh the plot thickens....🧐
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:03 AM   #114
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Congrats, OP, finally got it sorted out.

Now you have a double unicorn car! Will sell well on BaT in a few years.
      01-17-2020, 06:34 AM   #115
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

This is one of the more entertaining mysteries that I've read on the bpost. Our hero ends up winning, but the cause of the problem is never fully explained, leaving room for a sequel.

I thought Tintking was all right - he acted in good faith and owned up to being wrong immediately. You guys should've been harder on the guy who did this:

OP: detailed post on how he bought a car thinking it was just tinted and after an extended saga realizes it's not tint
First response: just remove the tint, dude

OP: congrats on finally resolving it. Ever thought about blackmailing BMWNA for importing a car that violates regulations?
Appreciate 2
BMuu8.00
      01-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #116
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

I was actually really impressed with how honorable OP l00semarble was throughout this ordeal, and Tintking was actually very cordial as well. His intentions were good all along.

IMHO, a lot of the other posters here left a lot to be desired.

Welcome to the 30Jahre club OP
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
SD ///M42992.00
      01-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #117
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
I was actually really impressed with how honorable OP l00semarble was throughout this ordeal, and Tintking was actually very cordial as well. His intentions were good all along.

IMHO, a lot of the other posters here left a lot to be desired.

Welcome to the 30Jahre club OP
+1

Glad you got the car OP. Hope you enjoy it.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #118
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l00semarble View Post
I feel tintking was trying to help so I hold no ill will. His style is a little different but he was contributing with expertise. In fact I have decided to refuse the $1M and the car.

I'm just going to drive this M3.

I'll moment later on my impressions but after 150 miles or so today I like. The electric steering is the weak link so far regarding initial feel of the car. Not terrible but will take some getting used to.
I envy your stock S420 glasses..

ECS Tuning and my local parts guys, whom I know personally, confirmed the the S420 glass is restricted from being ordered to the US, so it's truly a unicorn.

Jesus himself could not convince BMW to legally ship it to the US, unless it's fitted for an SUV, so try not to break them or your new thread will be titled "BMW refuses to sell me a window"..

You sound like good peoples, glad it worked out for you.. Enjoy your new toy in good health!

ECS has no access to PUMA at a Dealership which is how it's ordered.
Before this thread goes to shit again, I'm asking in the most civil and humble manner possible; do you have anything to back up what you're claiming? Maybe a link or document I can show them..

Who do I have to speak to get them? I'm not even trying to challenging you, I honestly want to know to possible replace them on a 2020 M340i.

My parts guys is just a sales associate but his parts manager 100%, whom has the power to overwrite orders, confirms that it can't be ordered and Is even not coming up their system as an option.
I confirmed it today at a Dealership with a Service Manager.
Can you hint the state or location, if you don't want to give up the name? I can narrow it down.

My service manager honestly believes the CS is a M4 with a Dinan package, I don't trust him..
https://www.getbmwparts.com/p-side-w...sg-51357269558

I rest my case being proven correct.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      01-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #119
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I feel tintking was trying to help so I hold no ill will. His style is a little different but he was contributing with expertise. In fact I have decided to refuse the $1M and the car.

I'll moment later on my impressions but after 150 miles or so today I like. The electric steering is the weak link so far regarding initial feel of the car. Not terrible but will take some getting used to.

ECS Tuning and my local parts guys, whom I know personally, confirmed the the S420 glass is restricted from being ordered to the US, so it's truly a unicorn.

Jesus himself could not convince BMW to legally ship it to the US, unless it's fitted for an SUV, so try not to break them or your new thread will be titled "BMW refuses to sell me a window"..

You sound like good peoples, glad it worked out for you.. Enjoy your new toy in good health!

Before this thread goes to shit again, I'm asking in the most civil and humble manner possible; do you have anything to back up what you're claiming? Maybe a link or document I can show them..

Who do I have to speak to get them? I'm not even trying to challenging you, I honestly want to know to possible replace them on a 2020 M340i.

My parts guys is just a sales associate but his parts manager 100%, whom has the power to overwrite orders, confirms that it can't be ordered and Is even not coming up their system as an option.
Can you hint the state or location, if you don't want to give up the name? I can narrow it down.

My service manager honestly believes the CS is a M4 with a Dinan package, I don't trust him..

Oh that's nice, weird they're the only ones that have it available. I tried a few vendors and they all said no.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #120
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh that's nice, weird they're the only ones that have it available. I tried a few vendors and they all said no.
It's special order from Germany, as I stated.

The others just didn't want to deal with the Special Order hoops to get it.

I would also point out it's a Maryland Dealership that makes this more comical given the original issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      01-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #121
M3ILANA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ILANA View Post
How does it compare to this one in options and price? https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...lnPQ-yCTv19I4Y
You just have a run of the mill Jahre edition listed. Seems OP has the only unicorn 🦄 of all the Jahre editions. I would knock $30k off the car since it’s really not that special. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Quote:
How does it compare to this one in options and price? https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...lnPQ-yCTv19I4Y
You just have a run of the mill Jahre edition listed. Seems OP has the only unicorn 🦄 of all the Jahre editions. I would knock $30k off the car since it's really not that special. Lol
Thanks. I didn't read the whole thread but what makes OP car a unicorn?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 06:19 PM   #122
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. I didn't read the whole thread but what makes OP car a unicorn?

There's no Reader's Digest version...

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #123
l00semarble
Private
Rep
Drives: GT3RS, FocusRS, E400 wagon

I did a half ass paint correction and detailing of the car. I am really loving the color that changes based on angle of the sun.

I should post up some pics of the windows on clean, detailed car. They really do look different than tinted windows.

I'm really loving the car. I've had some awesome cars including the GT3RS but this M3 is just a really nice everyday package.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #124
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNR View Post
Pretty interesting OP. I’ve been following this since the beginning and am glad you got the car sorted out.

If you’re really curious on who owned your car prior to you, you can go to your service department and have them print out their warranty coverage/history document. When I was shopping I got my hands on this document and it showed the previous owners name and address. I’d be curious to know if this was a press car or perhaps promo car registered to BMW NA.

Alternatively, if you have the window sticker you would be able to see the delivery dealer. I would again be very curious to see if it was a random dealer or BMW NA. Hell I would give the dealer a call and ask for any record they had regarding the car.

I suppose I may be adding fuel to the fire but I want to know how this slipped through the cracks as well!
My dealer was not able to tell where the car came from - leading him to believe it was a BMW car (it spent a lot of time in NJ).

Last edited by doug_999; 01-21-2020 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: wrote auctioned in NJ, that was incorrect
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:17 PM   #125
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
My dealer was not able to tell where the car came from - leading him to believe it was a BMW car (it spent a lot of time in NJ).
Yet another case of dealer incompetence.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:37 PM   #126
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNR View Post

Special cars like that have designation in the VIN

For example

S901 General Special Inspection

S903 Fotofahrzeug (Photo Vehicle)

I used to know most of them but another one is for car shows and another for tv/film car, perhaps S905 and S907 iirc.

And often

S991 Control, Preseries

As well as

S9AD Lockable camouflage cover
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:32 AM   #127
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
Quote:
Splain please?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #128
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Splain please?
Meaning that this information is in DCSnet, with very few exceptions that i doubt would apply to a 30 Jahre car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #129
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Meaning that this information is in DCSnet, with very few exceptions that i doubt would apply to a 30 Jahre car.
So did you mean to write "Can't your dealer just look this up in DCSnet?"
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      01-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #130
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This thread shows all kinds of Dealer incompetence as multiple Dealerships on multiple subjects.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #131
VCO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI2

Really interesting to see the 420 glass is not normally available in the US, here in the UK it is pretty much the default choice, of the ~200 used F80 M3's for sale here currently, only ~4 are without the privacy glass option.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #132
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCO View Post
Really interesting to see the 420 glass is not normally available in the US, here in the UK it is pretty much the default choice, of the ~200 used F80 M3's for sale here currently, only ~4 are without the privacy glass option.
problem is the wheel is on the wrong damn side.
Appreciate 0