ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F82

Real Differences M4 2015 vs 2016 facelift 1

Hello, I was sure that I was going to buy an m4 since 2016 since at the end of 2015 with the update of the M3 things were also improved in the M4 (chrome strips in aerators) and now it turns out that I have seen a good unit of 3/2015. .

My question is ... what real differences are there between 2015 and 2016 (none with led taillights) but if there was something in the ac control and navi .. can you tell me exactly if it deserves the purchase of 2015 or better I keep thinking about 2016 or newer

I have seen a post where he says the changes .. but not in depth .. as for example the navi pro says that it is faster but already this one .. I would like real use opinions not what bmw said in his day ..

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I believe early 2016 production cars are the same as 2015's but with the new taillights. Late 2016 production cars have a newer version of idrive so you get CarPlay and some other apps. Navigation will probably be slightly updated too
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

There are minor differences. Some software changes and vehicle calibrations. The crank hub got an updated bedplate at some point. There are 5 bolt strut towers instead of 3 like on the 15.
The idrive system might be a newer version.

If you plan on modifying the vehicle the changes are mostly inconsequential.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM3 View Post
I believe early 2016 production cars are the same as 2015's but with the new taillights. Late 2016 production cars have a newer version of idrive so you get CarPlay and some other apps. Navigation will probably be slightly updated too
Thanks but the screen its the same resolution?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
There are minor differences. Some software changes and vehicle calibrations. The crank hub got an updated bedplate at some point. There are 5 bolt strut towers instead of 3 like on the 15.
The idrive system might be a newer version.

If you plan on modifying the vehicle the changes are mostly inconsequential.
vehicle calibrations I don't worry too much since the first one will go to bmw to update all the switchboards, later on I will update everything to gts bootmod and others .. Can you tell me more about the crank hub? I have already asked for the screw lock is something I will mount before increasing the power

I am interested in the real differences of the idrive .. if it has much more resolution or something really interesting I do not want to lose multimedia options the truth .. if it is only carplay I do not worry I'm from android
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Yeah it'll be the same resolution. They switched to touch screens a year or two ago and that's probably when the resolution was increased, if at all
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:02 AM   #7
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

gts bootmod and others .. Can you tell me more about the crank hub? I have already asked for the screw lock is something I will mount before increasing the power

I am interested in the real differences of the idrive .. if it has much more resolution or something really interesting I do not want to lose multimedia options the truth .. if it is only carplay I do not worry I'm from android [/QUOTE]

If you're going to program euro mdm, update calibrations, install a keyed crank hub,
Honestly just go whichever car has the best options you're looking for, like if you're hung up on the tail lights or the headlights, or the specific interior or options etc.
The engines and trans are all the same etc.

Performance wise as far as I know they are the same, with the exception of the cs being more than the zcp, and the zcp having slightly more performance than the base. In those cases it's mostly due to programming so if you're tuning and modding it doesn't matter unless you want the zcp seats, or the cs/GTS hood etc
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM3 View Post
Yeah it'll be the same resolution. They switched to touch screens a year or two ago and that's probably when the resolution was increased, if at all
I only cared about the first restyling that was still without led headlights or touch screen hehe, thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
gts bootmod and others .. Can you tell me more about the crank hub? I have already asked for the screw lock is something I will mount before increasing the power

I am interested in the real differences of the idrive .. if it has much more resolution or something really interesting I do not want to lose multimedia options the truth .. if it is only carplay I do not worry I'm from android
If you're going to program euro mdm, update calibrations, install a keyed crank hub,
Honestly just go whichever car has the best options you're looking for, like if you're hung up on the tail lights or the headlights, or the specific interior or options etc.
The engines and trans are all the same etc.

Performance wise as far as I know they are the same, with the exception of the cs being more than the zcp, and the zcp having slightly more performance than the base. In those cases it's mostly due to programming so if you're tuning and modding it doesn't matter unless you want the zcp seats, or the cs/GTS hood etc[/QUOTE]

First I will go to BMW to update all the switchboards but without doing anything special .. in the future if I will update everything to GTS or similar ..

I have the bolt capture of vtt what do you think of that?

I was only interested in some improvement or something important if everything is the same I think I will buy this unit that carries all the extras that could be dialed in 2015 .. but it has no wireless phone charge or something else that came out later .. yes the browser is much better in 2016 I preferred to wait for a 2016 .. that's why I asked

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
For the 2015 M3/M4, cars produced prior to September 2014 had a magnesium oil pan which used an aluminum Allen screw for the oil drain plug and the plug had to be replaced at every oil change.

After this date, BMW changed to either an aluminum or steel oil pan which uses the standard reusable 17mm steel drain plug and only the copper crush washer is replaced at every oil change.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #11
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Im looking 03/2015 unit
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #12
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

These are the only notable facelifts to look for, IMO:
2016 has ZCP, if you're looking at base then it it doesn't matter
2017 has newer iDrive
2018 has new headlights and tail lights (expensive to retrofit so if it matters to you a lot then you would want a 2018)