Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #89
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

That interior looks very nice!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #90
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

I'm not sure how this wont immediately take share from the M3. I thought it was going to be $90k car. At this price you really have to look in the mirror and ask why you'd buy a M3 instead.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #91
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 981 Boxster S; 3 pedals

Interior looks nice. Exterior looks like a Kia fucked a Mazda and spit out this ugly bastard child. And what is up with the style of AR's wheels. Gotdamn they are hideous.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #92
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
That interior looks very nice!
If it were a Honda....
In this league I think the interior will be the weakest link. I don't think Alpha just has the finesse for interior amenities and personalisation you're going to find with the germans. You just look at the seats, not enough adjustment, the interface is an after thought and can expect connectivity/compatibilty issues with android and iOS phones.
There has been little to zero talk of the interior. The exterior is a bit of a toss up, the head lights look like weird alien eyes, and "un-Alpha Romeo" like. It almost looks outdated already.
But it does perform and sound great, but at 35 psi in stock trim gives me reliability concerns over the long haul and leaves little room to mod the engine from that standpoint, unless the block is solid unobtanium.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #93
dgp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bicycle...

I wonder if the comp package m3/4 will run similar ring times as the Alfa. After all M5 comp package was 10s quicker at the ring than a base m5, so perhaps a comp package m3/4 may run around 7:38-7:42. Time will tell.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #94
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
If it were a Honda....
In this league I think the interior will be the weakest link. I don't think Alpha just has the finesse for interior amenities and personalisation you're going to find with the germans. You just look at the seats, not enough adjustment, the interface is an after thought and can expect connectivity/compatibilty issues with android and iOS phones.
There has been little to zero talk of the interior. The exterior is a bit of a toss up, the head lights look like weird alien eyes, and "un-Alpha Romeo" like. It almost looks outdated already.
But it does perform and sound great, but at 35 psi in stock trim gives me reliability concerns over the long haul and leaves little room to mod the engine from that standpoint, unless the block is solid unobtanium.
From the pics above the interior looks damn good.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #95
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

this is one car i'd be worried about the reliability....

nice looking car and beautiful wheels.

wow.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 05:23 AM   #96
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Ftype R, M4

Quote:
If it were a Honda....
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 05:57 AM   #97
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The interior I like a lot, it seems to be very high quality and seems to be focused towards driving a car... the exterior... I have no idea whats going on there... interior I like more than C63 but exterior is just as bad as C63 imho.
      11-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #98
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erind View Post
lols....auto correct must have zapped that one in and I didn't realise, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #99
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Ftype R, M4

Quote:
lols....auto correct must have zapped that one in and I didn't realise, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #100
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

To me, it looks better in grey than that red launch color.

Appreciate 1
      11-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #101
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl
To me, it looks better in grey than that red launch color.

[IMG]http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-cont...12-876x535.jpg[/IMG]
Damn right, that's the color right there! With these wheels it would look even better IMHO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #102
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
I'm not sure how this wont immediately take share from the M3. I thought it was going to be $90k car. At this price you really have to look in the mirror and ask why you'd buy a M3 instead.
First off, a $90k M3 makes absolutely no sense to me. That is 1.5x the price of the base car, and IMO there is a wasted $15k in there somewhere.

But to answer your questions, here are some of the things that could kill its sales in the market. The M3 is a daily driver for the vast majority of people. The seats, the BT integration, the suspension comfort, engine and turbo lag etc. all these are things that are expected to be perfect in a $70-80k car. If they are not, it will erode buyer confidence. The specs are meaningless. A paper car can only be driven on paper, just take a look at how well the 4C is doing.

Also as someone else mentioned reliability will be a huge concern on a brand new unproven platform and engine, from a manufacturer which has suffered from it severely in the past. At least with BMW if the engine blows they will give you a new one, but what will Alfa after sales support be like? no one knows, depends on the amount of cash they are willing to invest. So far, their dealerships are few and far between.

Speaking for myself, I would perhaps be tempted to overlook these concerns and give it a chance, to try it out 2-3 years on a lease, if the numbers ar reasonable. I wouldn't buy one that's for sure. And if it leases $300 more than an M3, then I would be tempted by a 911 instead.

So I seriously doubt this is an M3 killer, at least sales wise.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #103
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
First off, a $90k M3 makes absolutely no sense to me. That is 1.5x the price of the base car, and IMO there is a wasted $15k in there somewhere.

But to answer your questions, here are some of the things that could kill its sales in the market. The M3 is a daily driver for the vast majority of people. The seats, the BT integration, the suspension comfort, engine and turbo lag etc. all these are things that are expected to be perfect in a $70-80k car. If they are not, it will erode buyer confidence. The specs are meaningless. A paper car can only be driven on paper, just take a look at how well the 4C is doing.

Also as someone else mentioned reliability will be a huge concern on a brand new unproven platform and engine, from a manufacturer which has suffered from it severely in the past. At least with BMW if the engine blows they will give you a new one, but what will Alfa after sales support be like? no one knows, depends on the amount of cash they are willing to invest. So far, their dealerships are few and far between.

Speaking for myself, I would perhaps be tempted to overlook these concerns and give it a chance, to try it out 2-3 years on a lease, if the numbers ar reasonable. I wouldn't buy one that's for sure. And if it leases $300 more than an M3, then I would be tempted by a 911 instead.

All great points.

I wouldn't write it off either though. On paper it is the best competition I've ever seen to the m3. There are several M3 owners that are bashing it and I can't help but think they are a little sore in their private bits.

It should be an extremely balanced car, at least from what we see from the specs and all the key numbers are there.

All I'm saying is when the numbers first started coming out for the car a few months ago I thought it was going to be priced more like a M5, so I was pleasantly suprised to see the starting price in M3 territory.

The m3 is a great car but all the competition is basically superior at this point in terms of not only straight line speed, but track speed, driving involvement and all the other intangible fun bits. It's something that we all need to accept.

That leaves us with brand loyalty, interior and looks as the factors why one would buy am M3 over the competition. Interior and brand would keep me from buying anything Cadillac makes because I'm shallow and I don't want a Cadillac.

The c63 amg is freaking amazing but just gets to pricey for me if I were to get it with all the options I'd want. It does have a superior interior to the m3 though and the brand is a wash

That leaves me with the Alfa. I think it scores above the m3 on all these factors but that's personal taste I guess.

Unless alpha completely screws this up it's going to do well and win a lot of comparos against the c63s and Cadillac with the M3 remaining in last until they refresh it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 02:07 PM   #104
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

This car doesn't compete with a 911. Does a m5 compete with a 911 because it leases >$300 than a M3? That's irrelevant. These are 4 door performance sedans.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #105
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo View Post
I'm gonna be the hater for this car. I know Jalopnik has the horny's for this car, but I think it's butt ugly in every way. It looks like an Abobo from the Double Dragon video game and a bloated M3 gave birth to it.

But its jalopnik. It's full of empty rhetoric.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #106
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Damn that's a low ring time, probably almost as low as the time it takes to break down after driving off the dealer lot...

All jokes aside, that's a mighty impressive number. Too bad it looks awful, both inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 12:20 AM   #107
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This car doesn't compete with a 911. Does a m5 compete with a 911 because it leases >$300 than a M3? That's irrelevant. These are 4 door performance sedans.
Not really. They are 4 seat cars that you can track and daily drive. The 911 is very much like that, just costs $3-400 more to lease. Or maybe even more, I haven't checked.

The M5 is not a track car, it's heavy and murders brakes and tires. I walk all over them at the track.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 12:37 AM   #108
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The m3 is a great car but all the competition is basically superior at this point in terms of not only straight line speed, but track speed, driving involvement and all the other intangible fun bits. It's something that we all need to accept
I'm not quite willing to accept it. I just don't see it materialized on track. Forgive me for saying this, and I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but you don't sound like someone who has done a lot of track days. Or driven most of these cars.

Until I see a well driven Caddy or AMG blow past me on track, I'll keep the M. With pads and tires, it's an incredible track machine. 2 seconds here or half a second there over 2 flying laps doesn't necessarily translate into an advantage over 30 min session. I've seen so many of these "cars of the moment" slow down after a few laps, or break down and cry like little girls, it has forever convinced me to be very skeptical. The depth of engineering is phenomenal in the M, in the actual gritty reality not in a glossy magazine.

Quite honestly if I didn't need 4 doors and seats, I'd get a C7. It's the only car in this price range that can offer something above the M3 performance wise - in the right hands and with the right mods.

I do agree the Alfa looks promising, and I can't wait to test drive it. But the Italians can be so full of crap sometimes, I'll wait and try to make an informed opinion.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 3
      11-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #109
gearboxtrouble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
I'm not quite willing to accept it. I just don't see it materialized on track. Forgive me for saying this, and I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but you don't sound like someone who has done a lot of track days. Or driven most of these cars.

Until I see a well driven Caddy or AMG blow past me on track, I'll keep the M. With pads and tires, it's an incredible track machine. 2 seconds here or half a second there over 2 flying laps doesn't necessarily translate into an advantage over 30 min session. I've seen so many of these "cars of the moment" slow down after a few laps, or break down and cry like little girls, it has forever convinced me to be very skeptical. The depth of engineering is phenomenal in the M, in the actual gritty reality not in a glossy magazine.

Quite honestly if I didn't need 4 doors and seats, I'd get a C7. It's the only car in this price range that can offer something above the M3 performance wise - in the right hands and with the right mods.

I do agree the Alfa looks promising, and I can't wait to test drive it. But the Italians can be so full of crap sometimes, I'll wait and try to make an informed opinion.
Great comment. I'd hold the adulation for some actual reviews of the new Alfa as well as some longer term reliability testing. Ferrari have been known to pull numbers out of the air in the past. That said this looks amazing and could be really special. If everything ties out, I will definitely consider one to cover the gap between my M4's warranty running out in 2019 and the next gen M4.

The competition as it exists is very good but the M3/4 is still winning most of the comparisons. For track work its likely still just as fast or faster over one lap and will eat the competition alive over multiple laps because of much better cooling. For daily driving its still very comfortable and has a decent interior with all the tech you need. In a straight line drag race it still beats or equals most of the competition in most comparisons. The C63S arguably has the better engine and the ATS-V arguably has the better chassis but the M3/4 is still the most complete package.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #110
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice informative presentation on that very promising car:

Appreciate 2