Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-31-2016, 04:23 AM   #67
stephenyj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M4

I literally just watched this video and I am a little sad about the results of the head to head. That being said, I feel the video is pretty objective and props to Chevy for making such a great car. Maybe I should just trade in my 80k piece of junk M4 for a beautiful sounding, better performing, and to some, the better looking Camaro SS.
I understand it is useless to compare modded cars to unmodded cars, but many of the problems that MT stated about the M4 can be fixed by throwing even more money into the car. A tune to "fix" the speed, exhaust to fix the sound, wheels and tires to fix the traction problems, and an aftermarket suspension system to fix the ride issues.
Sorry for the rant.... Honestly, it's not the first time the M4 has lost to a cheaper competitor but it does not stop me from loving the car. Or maybe I am just writing this so that someone can tell me everything will be ok.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2016, 05:23 AM   #68
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
FYI, after i coded the active (aka fake) sound off, the only difference was downshifting at low RPM. the car sounds exactly the same at wide open throttle and at higher RPM

active sound "issue" is overblown in my opinion, just like all the other "issues" (that are really "personal preferences") with the car
That's the thing. People shouldn't have to code anything. Should have an option whether you want it or not.
Appreciate 4
      03-31-2016, 05:46 AM   #69
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Right there with you on that one, I have ASD coded off as well and it's not big of a change
Agree to disagree. I coded off active sound and... It improved my enjoyment of the car by about 15-20%. It just sounds so much better now IMO.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:18 AM   #70
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
the car is completely disconnected and no fun to drive? where did you get that from from that video?
Where didn't you get that from the video? It was when Camissa was riding shotgun in the M4 and was talking about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #71
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
MT M4 vs Camaro

2015 BMW M4 vs. 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Head 2 Head Ep. 74 via MOTOR TREND News for iPhone

Donno what to make of the review but here it is.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 07:37 AM   #72
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Question is how much better is the 1LE? I guess we will need a rematch. 1LE won't be on runflats like the SS.
Agree it will probably be crazy good
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #73
Acturater
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenyj View Post
Or maybe I am just writing this so that someone can tell me everything will be ok.
Everything will be OK
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 08:41 AM   #74
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Now we hear this. I haven't even gotten my M3 yet, its' still on order . . . .
. . Wait maybe i'll go with the camaro instead and GM will send an SS to europe and i can do my upcoming ED in the Camaro
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 08:48 AM   #75
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973
The thing no reviewer can mention is, lets see how the Camaro feels in 5 years with 60,000 miles on it.

I had a 335 that was 6 years old with 50,000 miles on it and it felt and sounded exactly the same as it did when I bought it with 7000 miles on it 3 years prior.

That's the thing with the Americans, because they build them at a way cheaper price point, something has got to give and that is by the quality of the assembly of parts. So after a few years and 10s of thousands of miles, they loosen up, rattle, squeek, etc.

This isn't just BMW, Merc's, Audi's and Porsche's also are like this.
If that is the case you could buy another Camaro and still break even.
      03-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #76
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

All kinds of butt hurt in here. Who cares.
      03-31-2016, 09:20 AM   #77
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Right there with you on that one, I have ASD coded off as well and it's not big of a change
Agree to disagree. I coded off active sound and... It improved my enjoyment of the car by about 15-20%. It just sounds so much better now IMO.
No I agree with you I like it better without. I really think it makes the car sound less "weird"
      03-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #78
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Having more affordable cars encroach on premium/ exotic cars is not really a new thing. In fact, it happens all the time and it goes to show that people do not always buy cars solely based on performance and price.

Some examples off the top of my head:

- Nissan GTR is $100k - $150k and can spank almost any car costing less than $800k on the strip and track

- C7 Z06 is $100k and is the same example as the GTR

- BMW M4 ($75k) won a H2H against the Carrera S which was almost twice as much money and w/o a backseat

- GT350/top-end Camaros/base corvettes are all much more affordable then a lot of BMWs/MBs and some exotics

- Focus RS for $40k! Will probably smoke cars twice as much

Unless your main focus for buying a car is pure performance at 10/10ths all the time, then there will always be a market for the lesser 'value for performance' vehicles out there.

IMO, that Camaro in the video could be $20k and I still wouldn't consider getting out of my M4. The looks, the badge, the interior, the view from the driver's seat, the customer service at Chevy, the 'image', and other factors all play a part of that decision.
Appreciate 8
      03-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #79
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenyj View Post
I literally just watched this video and I am a little sad about the results of the head to head. That being said, I feel the video is pretty objective and props to Chevy for making such a great car. Maybe I should just trade in my 80k piece of junk M4 for a beautiful sounding, better performing, and to some, the better looking Camaro SS.
I understand it is useless to compare modded cars to unmodded cars, but many of the problems that MT stated about the M4 can be fixed by throwing even more money into the car. A tune to "fix" the speed, exhaust to fix the sound, wheels and tires to fix the traction problems, and an aftermarket suspension system to fix the ride issues.
Sorry for the rant.... Honestly, it's not the first time the M4 has lost to a cheaper competitor but it does not stop me from loving the car. Or maybe I am just writing this so that someone can tell me everything will be ok.
The M3/M4 are gorgeous cars, no one doubts that.

What they do doubt is how GM managed to make a car at 50% less price, having all luxury options BMW should have made standard on a luxury car at 81,000$ (video price) and almost beating the BMW M4 on that track by a couple milliseconds.

You would expect a bigger gap in time since it's an M, the M division was known to build cars that are like scalpels, precision driving and absolute feel to the road like the E92 M3 was.

They came out with the M2 and from what I hear, it has somewhat of that feel back.

The M4 GTS is another story, I feel this vehicle is a benchmark for the next generation of M3/M4 and I hope they get rid of the active sound and make a vehicle that will be once again the benchmark.

I'm sure M3/M4 owners love their car, and I'm not questioning your purchase, but you have to agree BMW needs to step up their game on many things.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 09:39 AM   #80
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Felt more like a rant on M3 than anything else, but some fair points were made. I'd agree that the company has gotten too cute (ASD, LED tails at LCI, etc...) and has lost some appeal recently. I don't agree the car is a boring drive.

$80k+ is a lot. Will probably buy a lightly used one in a year or so for ~$50k, problem solved
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #81
Vocans
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
The M3/M4 are gorgeous cars, no one doubts that.

What they do doubt is how GM managed to make a car at 50% less price, having all luxury options BMW should have made standard on a luxury car at 81,000$ (video price) and almost beating the BMW M4 on that track by a couple milliseconds.

You would expect a bigger gap in time since it's an M, the M division was known to build cars that are like scalpels, precision driving and absolute feel to the road like the E92 M3 was.

They came out with the M2 and from what I hear, it has somewhat of that feel back.

The M4 GTS is another story, I feel this vehicle is a benchmark for the next generation of M3/M4 and I hope they get rid of the active sound and make a vehicle that will be once again the benchmark.

I'm sure M3/M4 owners love their car, and I'm not questioning your purchase, but you have to agree BMW needs to step up their game on many things.
I cannot comprehend how that car was specced to $81k, I actually think they're wrong on the price. You can get an M4 with exec, leather, 19" wheels, CCB's and adaptive M suspension for less than $81k. Their test car had none of those options outside of CCB's although it may have had LED's.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about with regards to feel on the E92 M3. Everyone complained about steering feel on that car too.
      03-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #82
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Where didn't you get that from the video? It was when Camissa was riding shotgun in the M4 and was talking about it.
you know what fair enough, rematched the video, must have missed it.

i mean, if its steering feel, he's got a point imho. and if its not being able to disengage throttle blipping without going into sport + or being stuck in comfort, again, he's got a point
      03-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #83
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocans View Post
I cannot comprehend how that car was specced to $81k, I actually think they're wrong on the price. You can get an M4 with exec, leather, 19" wheels, CCB's and adaptive M suspension for less than $81k. Their test car had none of those options outside of CCB's although it may have had LED's.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about with regards to feel on the E92 M3. Everyone complained about steering feel on that car too.
For starters they give inaccurate info. They say the M4 base price is 69XXX. I suspect they know that they can get all of the stuff they are talking about for less than 81k (without CCB), but that wouldn't fit with the overall narrative. Or it is just lazy journalism again, which wouldn't surprise me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
you know what fair enough, rematched the video, must have missed it.

i mean, if its steering feel, he's got a point imho. and if its not being able to disengage throttle blipping without going into sport + or being stuck in comfort, again, he's got a point
Those are fair points......the rest of the "review," I obviously disagree with.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #84
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
IMO, that Camaro in the video could be $20k and I still wouldn't consider getting out of my M4. The looks, the badge, the interior, the view from the driver's seat, the customer service at Chevy, the 'image', and other factors all play a part of that decision.
Badge yes, interior yes (but maybe not for long) however customer service... I dunno about that one my 335 was literally the worst ownership experience of any car I have owned. Worst dealer service ever. Infiniti has actually been the best for me so far in regards to service. We actually also own a cadillac and the service at the cadillac dealer has been excellent (Infiniti still better) and they will also handle any issues with the camaro so that's where I will be taking it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 10:33 AM   #85
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

A few points quickly come to mind:
  • I'm paying $59k for my (stripped) M3 and I'm picking it up in Europe. Sweet
  • I've watched many F8x comparisons where the car is highly praised (including 911s, Corvettes, RS5s, etc.) Why/how is the car suddenly junk?
  • Won't repeat everyone else, but: style, quality, resale value, heritage, dealer/service experience, etc
      03-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #86
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Badge yes, interior yes (but maybe not for long) however customer service... I dunno about that one my 335 was literally the worst ownership experience of any car I have owned. Worst dealer service ever. Infiniti has actually been the best for me so far in regards to service. We actually also own a cadillac and the service at the cadillac dealer has been excellent (Infiniti still better) and they will also handle any issues with the camaro so that's where I will be taking it.
Hmm... I've had the opposite experience. Most BMW dealerships I walk into I am welcomed, free to roam alone, have a nice area to wait, nice loaners, blah blah... I've been to a few chevy dealerships and they treat me like a 15 year old kid as part of their jungle gym in there lol maybe I just hit a few bad ones
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 10:41 AM   #87
BIMPY3011
Private
Suriname
Rep
Drives: 1 Series

this won't come on the front page i guess
Appreciate 3
      03-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #88
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Do they mention build quality and a certain level of luxury in this video? Because I have significant experience driving a C7 Z06 and that's still not even close on those terms to the M car... this is less than half the price... not sure how that can be fixed.