European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #23
when
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudZERO View Post
PPF looks like a $800 starting point based off research. At that cost you might as well put the car on a truck.

Have any one of you done PPF or just drove it home?
you should be able to do just the bumper for around $500 ( at least here in texas) .
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #24
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Hey Gang,

Out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many of you decided to fly in to a different state and take delivery of your BMW M4 instead of putting it on a truck. Also how long was the drive and what did you do to make the best of it?

I am trying to figure out how crazy a New Jersey to Florida drive would be.
You also have the Amtrak Autotrain from DC to Orlando if you do not want to drive the entire way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
That's nothing. I flew out to Arizona to buy a car unseen and drove it back to Miami. It was one of the most exciting and memorable experiences. I can tell you that driving the I-10 through Texas was one of the most boring drives I've ever done in my life.
Dallas to El Paso is about 12 hours of torture.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #25
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
You also have the Amtrak Autotrain from DC to Orlando if you do not want to drive the entire way.
That sounds pretty cool! And expensive I imagine :-)
      01-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #26
The_Pippin
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
I was pretty picky too, just couldn't find anything closer to home. I hit WV around 11pm or so, really fun drive through the mountains with very little traffic. Almost ran out of gas in Winston-Salem, miscalculated the availability of gas in the wee hours of the morning. Really not that bad of a drive considering the distance and the fact I did it in one go. I was a little worried going in that sitting in the f80 seats (non-cp) for that long would be a painful experience, but was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable they were. No issues with back pain or anything. I test drove a few CP cars, my wife really hated the CP seats, and while I didn't hate them, I did find those weird cut-outs in the seat back to be uncomfortable.
Yeah I have a non competition package M3 as well. Those cut outs in the seats look cool but it takes away the lumbar support option, which is a big negative in long drives and comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #27
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

First, I suggest you pick up from the BMW Performance Center. Not only is it awesome to drive an M at their track, but it's also closer to home for you

I got my car from the Performance center, then drove it through the night back to Boston. It was so worth it!
As I planned to get PPF on the car I wrapped it in tape down there, then drove it straight to the PPF guy in Jersey.

Awesome experience, will definitely do it again
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #28
CaroleBaskin
Big Cat Rescue
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M4CS - Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
First, I suggest you pick up from the BMW Performance Center. Not only is it awesome to drive an M at their track, but it's also closer to home for you

I got my car from the Performance center, then drove it through the night back to Boston. It was so worth it!
As I planned to get PPF on the car I wrapped it in tape down there, then drove it straight to the PPF guy in Jersey.

Awesome experience, will definitely do it again
What tape?

Did you buy 3m ppf and do a self job before driving home?
      01-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #29
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

Quote:
What tape?

It was a combo of the track tape stuff and blue 3M tape. I have a pic somewhere that's pretty awesome

People must have been pretty confused seeing the car on the highway with mismatched tape all over it.

I try to do PPF on all the cars front end. Whenever I don't I end up with chips and then a respray is expensive and never looks the same
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #30
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Road trips back with a new car are the best. I got my e38 in Texas. I told some friends about it and they invited themselves along. We had a blast!. Drove back form DFW area to NJ over 2.5 days. One night in a motel. One night driving straight through. Spent some time in Memphis. Various shenanigans along the way. It felt almost like a Top Gear episode. Missed the Tail of the Dragon.. but an e38 was not the car for that anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #31
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
What tape?

https://www.trakktape.com/
DocL1921.00
      01-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #32
statelax3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS

My first E90M I flew from Charlotte to Chicgao and then flogged it the whole way home. 12 hours of just pure joy. I would never hesitate to do it again.
2011.75 E90 M3- sold
08 E90 335 FBO- sold
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #33
trendy26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

Quote:
Hey Gang,

Out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many of you decided to fly in to a different state and take delivery of your BMW M4 instead of putting it on a truck. Also how long was the drive and what did you do to make the best of it?

I am trying to figure out how crazy a New Jersey to Florida drive would be.
I flew from South Florida to Maryland for one of my prior M3's. Didn't drive it the whole way though. Drive it to West Virginia, put it on the Auto Train, which drops off around Orlando and drove the rest from there.....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #34
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Yep. This stuff works great. My friend uses it on his 2017 Ford GT.
      01-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #35
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

if its new then i'd ship it for sure. enclosed trailer with a hydraulic lift gate. you don't want to pick a cheap shipping company that's going to scratch your front lip driving it on and off the truck.

if its used then go ahead and throw some tape on it and drive it home. once you get to the Carolinas the streets should be clear of the winter crud. try not to follow too close behind any semi trucks.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #36
e36dreamer
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pippin View Post
I live in Raleigh NC and I just bought my F80 M3 on Dec. 27th, 2019. I flew up to Chicago and drove it home (900 miles). I thought about putting it on a truck but it cost too much and I've heard horror stories on the car getting damaged in transit.

I am a person that likes to take airplane instead of driving for anything over 3-4 hours. This was a 13 hour trip and I loved every minute of it. Driving in the new car and going through some WV mountains was awesome!
Same destination and general feeling about driving vs flying, but flew to Boston this summer to buy my F80 and drove it back over 2 days. It was awesome as I met with friends in NYC and outside DC as part of the trip so it was totally worth it.

I could have shipped it for about the same price, due to a hookup at a dealer here, but chose to fly on JetBlue and drive it back and do not regret enjoying the time alone in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:18 PM   #37
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I flew to Welt for Euro delivery and flew to SC for PCD redelivery and drove back to SoCal when I got my f80.

Just my $0.02, look at how much you save going used versus getting new with fewer options and if you can do the euro delivery.

The feeling of tearing into the throttle in 3rd when an unlimited speed section hits, and seeing all the cars GTFO of your way is a thing of beauty.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #38
Scott_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X5 35i, 16 F80 ZCP

I bought my F80 in Atlanta and my wife and I flew down and drove it back to MN about 1000 miles. Got a little rough when we hit north Iowa and got stuck in a snow storm on summer tires, but we made it. It was an awesome experience and renewed my love of the road trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #39
Laostuh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Bought my F80 in VA... Live in CA and personally don't have have the time to drive cross country so I shipped it. $1359 enclosed.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #40
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laostuh View Post
Bought my F80 in VA... Live in CA and personally don't have have the time to drive cross country so I shipped it. $1359 enclosed.
Cross country would be pretty rough. I almost bought a car in San Luis Obispo, was going to have it shipped back to NC. Then I discovered the utter ridiculousness of buying a car in CA and taking it out of state, don't recommend ANYONE do that, at least not from a dealer. The hoops you have to jump through is completely absurd, you can't even take delivery on the car in CA, it's delivered straight the shipper, can't touch CA roads or you'll have to pay the RIDICULOUS CA sales tax ON TOP OF your own state's t&l fees. Not too mention I also discovered that BMW of San Luis Obispo are a bunch of lying, cheating asshats. SOOOOOO glad that I ditched that deal.

My advice for anyone looking to purchase out of state is to do you due diligence regarding licensing, taxes, and DMV fees. When I bought my car from IL, the dealer did all the NC DMV paperwork for me, I paid *NC* taxes and fees, they gave me a 30 day plate, and I was on my way. Same for the 3 cars I've purchased from GA. NOT the case buying in CA at all, it is pure PAIN!
      01-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #41
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cross country would be pretty rough. I almost bought a car in San Luis Obispo, was going to have it shipped back to NC. Then I discovered the utter ridiculousness of buying a car in CA and taking it out of state, don't recommend ANYONE do that, at least not from a dealer. The hoops you have to jump through is completely absurd, you can't even take delivery on the car in CA, it's delivered straight the shipper, can't touch CA roads or you'll have to pay the RIDICULOUS CA sales tax ON TOP OF your own state's t&l fees. Not too mention I also discovered that BMW of San Luis Obispo are a bunch of lying, cheating asshats. SOOOOOO glad that I ditched that deal.

My advice for anyone looking to purchase out of state is to do you due diligence regarding licensing, taxes, and DMV fees. When I bought my car from IL, the dealer did all the NC DMV paperwork for me, I paid *NC* taxes and fees, they gave me a 30 day plate, and I was on my way. Same for the 3 cars I've purchased from GA. NOT the case buying in CA at all, it is pure PAIN!
I didn't take a car off the lot, but ordered a car through a CA dealer for pickup at the Performance Center. It was the easiest auto transaction I've ever had.
      01-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #42
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I didn't take a car off the lot, but ordered a car through a CA dealer for pickup at the Performance Center. It was the easiest auto transaction I've ever had.
Was it new? New car transfers are pretty straightforward from what I understand. I was looking for used, and wasn't comfortable buying something used sight unseen. Was going to fly out to check the car out first, then take a week in the area with family, then have the car shipped back. But CA laws don't allow for temporary tags for cars sold out of state without paying the 9% sales tax (our tax in NC is 3%). The dealer will lie to you and tell you that you'll get the CA taxes refunded when you actually register it in your home state, but it's simply not true. I called the CA DMV and they told me there's no way they are going to refund anyone anything, ever, regardless of where the car gets registered. From what I understood, private party sales are a different matter in that you can at least drive the car on CA roads for a short period of time (IIRC correctly, 1-2 days).
      01-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #43
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was it new? New car transfers are pretty straightforward from what I understand. I was looking for used, and wasn't comfortable buying something used sight unseen. Was going to fly out to check the car out first, then take a week in the area with family, then have the car shipped back. But CA laws don't allow for temporary tags for cars sold out of state without paying the 9% sales tax (our tax in NC is 3%). The dealer will lie to you and tell you that you'll get the CA taxes refunded when you actually register it in your home state, but it's simply not true. I called the CA DMV and they told me there's no way they are going to refund anyone anything, ever, regardless of where the car gets registered. From what I understood, private party sales are a different matter in that you can at least drive the car on CA roads for a short period of time (IIRC correctly, 1-2 days).
Yes ordered new car.

Could you take N.C. tags to CA with you to put on the car?
      01-16-2020, 02:38 PM   #44
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pippin View Post
Yeah I have a non competition package M3 as well. Those cut outs in the seats look cool but it takes away the lumbar support option, which is a big negative in long drives and comfort.
If you don't have the ZCP seats, how would you now? Or are you just guessing? Or you read what other people said?

I have a non-Comp 2016 M4 and my wife has a 2018 M3 ZCP. We did Euro Delivery on both cars and drove almost 2,000 miles each time in Europe in two weeks both times. The ZCP seats were no less comfortable than the non-ZCP seats.

Since then I"ve ridden or driven for thousands of miles in my wife ZCP. The lack of lumbar support, for me, and I have a bad back, isn't an issue.

Don't state something as a fact, if you don't have the experience to back it up.

Appreciate 0