ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

01-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #45
rahrah
/// csl
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: e46 m3 csl

You my friend ... Is a bad ass
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #46
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Awesome! I wanted to test out my snows yesterday but being right outside of Philly there was too much accumulation on the roads to get through. I'd be plowing the roads for people! We got close to 20" I'd say.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #47
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm sure you love those Nokian's because the Hakkapeliitta's are THE BEST SNOW TIRES OUT THERE! I love them on my '14 Legacy, its an animal with those tires on in the snow.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #48
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Ok so you are one of those idiots that goes out on the roads for no reason at all when you need to be staying off them.

And then on the other hand you are one of the few geniuses who realizes just how important snow tires are.

Good read! I don't know whether to smack you, or salute you.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #49
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Ok so you are one of those idiots that goes out on the roads for no reason at all when you need to be staying off them.

And then on the other hand you are one of the few geniuses who realizes just how important snow tires are.

Good read! I don't know whether to smack you, or salute you.
Well, we didn't have any travel bans in effect, so ... I was just playing by the rules. New Haven didn't even have a parking ban until midnight last night.

If we all stay off the roads, who is supposed to be testing out snow tires in "real world" conditions? Sheesh ... can't you see that I'm doing all you bozo's sitting on your asses at home in the middle of a snow storm, a YUUUUGE favor?

Appreciate 5
      01-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #50
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE92M3 View Post
I'm sure you love those Nokian's because the Hakkapeliitta's are THE BEST SNOW TIRES OUT THERE! I love them on my '14 Legacy, its an animal with those tires on in the snow.

If a clown like me can make it through a snow storm, then pretty much everyone else should be good to go in Nokians. And they're perfectly fine in dry weather conditions. And practically no road noise. They are simply perfect for the purpose.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #51
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Awesome! I wanted to test out my snows yesterday but being right outside of Philly there was too much accumulation on the roads to get through. I'd be plowing the roads for people! We got close to 20" I'd say.
Yeah, you guys got so much more snow than us, and much earlier in the day. We didn't get real accumulation until noon Saturday. And it just went on a steady clip throughout the day. Not nearly as intense as your neck of the woods.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #52
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

So the bottom line from my experience, as far as driving a RWD on snow tires, in snowy conditions.

Would I recommend it? Yes, if you would like to enjoy your ///M car year round, and are able to control the urge to drive like you do on dry roads. It takes some discipline.

Is it superior to, or as good as an xDrive vehicle in all season tires, in comparable weather conditions? Hell. NO! Not even close.

So now that I got that out of the way, we can address RWD with snow tires as a compromise situation. Not ideal, but lets call it "adequate".

The Nokian tire performance was surely impressive, I must be honest. I had Michelin Alpins in the past on my e90, and they were far less capable. Kind of sucky, to be honest. But then again, it's hard to be so sure since we are talking about entirely different cars here, with 10 years (2006 330i vs 2015 M3) of drive train development, traction control systems, engineering and technology separating them.

But all that aside. I was impressed with the Nokian + f80 combination. Again, at no point did I feel threatened by the conditions, or get stuck and have to rock the car back and forth to get out. No shoveling either. Just really a smooth drive through otherwise brutal driving conditions.

Worthy of noting though is the vast difference in power delivery (and hence safety margin of error) with the car in Sport/+ (DSC off), vs comfort mode (DSC off).

I've tested this in many ways, as I've had all the time in the world to do so yesterday.

I was curious to compare: Accelerating from a stand still (say, at a traffic light). Accelerating from a roll (10-20 mph). Accelerating while changing lanes or maneuvering (fish tail). WOT from a roll.

Needless to say, you might kill yourself in such conditions DSC off and Sport/+, as there is very little time to react and counter the cars behavior. The torque surge is almost instantaneous, and ALL THERE.

In comfort mode , although still not a smooth build of power, seemed to be less abrupt, and at least allow time for driver input correction of course (counter steer, modulate throttle, ...). And I do realize that I am stating the obviously, but it was very rewarding to experience it and feel it for myself, with little-no interference from surface friction. Driving in such conditions is almost the same as having the car on a dyno. You give it just a tad bit too much power, and all of a sudden you have zero traction and can witness the change in revs at a much accelerated and instantaneous rate.

Having said all that, again, the f80 M3 on Nokians were both simply a blast in such harsh conditions. Braking distance, turn in grip, acceleration from a stand still, from a roll, acceleration form a full stop on an incline, braking distance, emergency braking, lane changes, all seemed to have been within acceptable or more than adequate levels.

The tire sizes I have on are 245/19/35 front, 255/19/40 rears. I am sure if I had smaller wheels (and maybe square setup), the performance would have likely been even much better.

Just some thoughts. If you have any question about these tires let me know, as I know they are not yet very popular.

Appreciate 6
      01-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #53
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Holy crap. Sure you weren't driving an STI with an M3 halloween costume on. That was a pretty impressive performance.
I will use this thread in the future, when someone asks about rear wheel drive in the snow.
Good post.

But eff that, so happy I don't have to deal with snow anymore, ever again(I'm a native NYer).
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #54
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Nice pics great to see u made it home safely, you took big risk but not sure how bad ur storm was in my area it was bad, 32" so no matter what winter tires u have on, u can easily get stuck : glad u made it
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #55
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Yeah, you guys got so much more snow than us, and much earlier in the day. We didn't get real accumulation until noon Saturday. And it just went on a steady clip throughout the day. Not nearly as intense as your neck of the woods.

Yup, too intense yesterday but I went out today and had some fun on the way to the gym the roads were still pretty covered and traffic was still low volume so I did some snowkyo drifting. I'm very pleased with the behavior of the car in the snow.. I was concerned that all the low end torque and DCT would make it a handful but it was very mild mannered and controllable.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #56
JSCO
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AMG GT

amusing read.....pretty funny how you think someone running in that weather is nuts but you intentionally driving into a storm is perfectly fine....ha...that shot of the 95 is very eerie...thanks for sharing...
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #57
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCO View Post
amusing read.....pretty funny how you think someone running in that weather is nuts but you intentionally driving into a storm is perfectly fine....ha...that shot of the 95 is very eerie...thanks for sharing...
Well I wouldn't be as upset if he had some kind of dedicated snow running shoes on. And maybe a locking knee differential. And a bit of traction control feedback mechanism.

But yeah, now that you point that out ... it's funny as hell!
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #58
turbologist
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Haha. Good read man!

You have some balls to be out there. I was questioning whether I should've been out there in our full size Range Rover.

Good to see you and the car made it back in one piece. Be safe...
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #59
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
That's nuts! How many inches did you guys end up getting around there? Geez!!!!
Around 24-30 inches
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #60
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo
So the bottom line from my experience, as far as driving a RWD on snow tires, in snowy conditions.

Would I recommend it? Yes, if you would like to enjoy your ///M car year round, and are able to control the urge to drive like you do on dry roads. It takes some discipline.

Is it superior to, or as good as an xDrive vehicle in all season tires, in comparable weather conditions? Hell. NO! Not even close.

So now that I got that out of the way, we can address RWD with snow tires as a compromise situation. Not ideal, but lets call it "adequate".

The Nokian tire performance was surely impressive, I must be honest. I had Michelin Alpins in the past on my e90, and they were far less capable. Kind of sucky, to be honest. But then again, it's hard to be so sure since we are talking about entirely different cars here, with 10 years (2006 330i vs 2015 M3) of drive train development, traction control systems, engineering and technology separating them.

But all that aside. I was impressed with the Nokian + f80 combination. Again, at no point did I feel threatened by the conditions, or get stuck and have to rock the car back and forth to get out. No shoveling either. Just really a smooth drive through otherwise brutal driving conditions.

Worthy of noting though is the vast difference in power delivery (and hence safety margin of error) with the car in Sport/+ (DSC off), vs comfort mode (DSC off).

I've tested this in many ways, as I've had all the time in the world to do so yesterday.

I was curious to compare: Accelerating from a stand still (say, at a traffic light). Accelerating from a roll (10-20 mph). Accelerating while changing lanes or maneuvering (fish tail). WOT from a roll.

Needless to say, you might kill yourself in such conditions DSC off and Sport/+, as there is very little time to react and counter the cars behavior. The torque surge is almost instantaneous, and ALL THERE.

In comfort mode , although still not a smooth build of power, seemed to be less abrupt, and at least allow time for driver input correction of course (counter steer, modulate throttle, ...). And I do realize that I am stating the obviously, but it was very rewarding to experience it and feel it for myself, with little-no interference from surface friction. Driving in such conditions is almost the same as having the car on a dyno. You give it just a tad bit too much power, and all of a sudden you have zero traction and can witness the change in revs at a much accelerated and instantaneous rate.

Having said all that, again, the f80 M3 on Nokians were both simply a blast in such harsh conditions. Braking distance, turn in grip, acceleration from a stand still, from a roll, acceleration form a full stop on an incline, braking distance, emergency braking, lane changes, all seemed to have been within acceptable or more than adequate levels.

The tire sizes I have on are 245/19/35 front, 255/19/40 rears. I am sure if I had smaller wheels (and maybe square setup), the performance would have likely been even much better.

Just some thoughts. If you have any question about these tires let me know, as I know they are not yet very popular.

Thanks for the honest feedback on xdrive vs RWD. My xdrive with Conti DWS tires is fantastic. I went through some nasty stuff today plowing snow with my front end through tight streets. Car was unbelievable and inspired so much confidence. I of course drive carefully.

I'm in the same boat as you as I will attempt to go year round with an M (if I can hopefully get in one when my lease is up). I've always had a backup car when I've had RWD cars. This thread is exactly what I needed!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #61
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Good for you for braving the winter conditions and going out in your M

I've been winter driving my E46M for years right by you with frequent trips to Canada and on PA4 Michelins which are high performance winters and less geared to deep snow.

As you say Mr Falafel, driving on a highway completely alone is eerie. During several blizzards on the way to/from Canada I am the only car in sight once it's late... not a very nice feeling

RWD cars drive surprisingly well with winter tires, after all that is the only thing connecting you to the road. The main issue you have are ramps, as in your car will not go up much of a ramp. Other than that, turnings and braking, no issues!

LSD equipped RWD cars are a blast in winter!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #62
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ARchitect
Jonas turned my M4 into a 5 series GT and my abarth into a literal snowball.

#ThanksJonas
That is nuts!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #63
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
thats a brave trip, i drove around town in pirelli sottozero series 2 and they were great, i got weird look from people that i didnt get stuck on every light

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #64
BlackCobra08
King Cobra
Rep
Drives: incoming GTS 4.0

Good story. Those roads are about the same as I've been driving my M3 around this winter here in MN. the f80 is pretty damn impressive in the snow for RWD, and I used to have a blue wrx just like the one you took a pic of. I'm rolling on pirelli sottozeros on 18"
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #65
64-bit
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 Ford Raptor - On Order

Got to ask... Have you done XPell or any other clear bra on your car?

What I hate the most about the winter is the salt and sand rocks flying on your bumper and hood. (Unless it is a lease, then who cares)
      01-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #66
NOITALL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

10/10. Light, enjoyable reading. You must be a cool guy.
Thanks for this!

By the way, I am running the same tires this year... Needless to say, I drive anytime anywhere. And, like you, I look for places where people dare not go. In my RWD. Never stuck.

I also have an F25. I like my RWD better. I've had snow up to the centre of the wheels, pushing it with the bumper...

Cheers!
Appreciate 1