R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #45
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
Cross country would be pretty rough. I almost bought a car in San Luis Obispo, was going to have it shipped back to NC. Then I discovered the utter ridiculousness of buying a car in CA and taking it out of state, don't recommend ANYONE do that, at least not from a dealer. The hoops you have to jump through is completely absurd, you can't even take delivery on the car in CA, it's delivered straight the shipper, can't touch CA roads or you'll have to pay the RIDICULOUS CA sales tax ON TOP OF your own state's t&l fees. Not too mention I also discovered that BMW of San Luis Obispo are a bunch of lying, cheating asshats. SOOOOOO glad that I ditched that deal.

My advice for anyone looking to purchase out of state is to do you due diligence regarding licensing, taxes, and DMV fees. When I bought my car from IL, the dealer did all the NC DMV paperwork for me, I paid *NC* taxes and fees, they gave me a 30 day plate, and I was on my way. Same for the 3 cars I've purchased from GA. NOT the case buying in CA at all, it is pure PAIN!
I don't find buying a car from CA is painful at all, let the dealer handle all paper works and you only need to pay your local sales tax since you are out of State. Beside CA cars is salt free.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #46
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
First, I suggest you pick up from the BMW Performance Center.
You bought your car new and specified PCD. The OP appears to be buying a car from a dealer in NJ. The car has already been delivered to that dealer, so he doesn't have this option. The dealer is not going to ship the car to the PC so that the buyer can experience PCD.

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11403.00
      01-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #47
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Yes ordered new car.

Could you take N.C. tags to CA with you to put on the car?
Nope. CA doesn't have any kind of inter-DMV agreements with other states, at least not with NC. Dealerships are not allowed to let you take possession on ca roads unless you pay ca sales tax. Furthermore, title transfers take FOREVER from CA, so it could be several months before you can legally operate YOUR car in your home state, as you won't be able to title in your home state without the CA title. The whole thing is pretty retarded and backwards. Given what I learned, it's the last place I will ever buy a car from.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #48
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I flew to Welt for Euro delivery and flew to SC for PCD redelivery and drove back to SoCal when I got my f80.
The feeling of tearing into the throttle in 3rd when an unlimited speed section hits, and seeing all the cars GTFO of your way is a thing of beauty.
That's exactly why I recommend Euro Delivery and we've done this for our last three cars. Nothing, and I repeat, nothing compares to driving on the Autobahn, especially in little to no traffic in an unlimited section. And the best part is, in Germany, the cars do GTFO of your way, because they know how to drive and to stay right unless passing, a concept that, because of self-entitlement, people here just can't seem to comprehend,

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11403.00
      01-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #49
e36dreamer
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
My advice for anyone looking to purchase out of state is to do you due diligence regarding licensing, taxes, and DMV fees. When I bought my car from IL, the dealer did all the NC DMV paperwork for me, I paid *NC* taxes and fees, they gave me a 30 day plate, and I was on my way. Same for the 3 cars I've purchased from GA. NOT the case buying in CA at all, it is pure PAIN!
This is solid advice. Do your homework when buying out of state after you find the car you want and have a deal in place.

My experience 'importing' my car to NC was a little bumpy, but in the end it all worked out. The dealer acted like they could not get me a 30-day temp NC plate and apparently MA is one of the last states that doesn't do 30-day tags, so my choice was register it in MA (I don't live there) or .

I managed to make it work (read: I didn't get pulled on the way so no one noticed) and when I got home I went to the DMV and got a plate without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #50
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
That's exactly why I recommend Euro Delivery and we've done this for our last three cars. Nothing, and I repeat, nothing compares to driving on the Autobahn, especially in little to no traffic in an unlimited section. And the best part is, in Germany, the cars do GTFO of your way, because they know how to drive and to stay right unless passing, a concept that, because of self-entitlement, people here just can't seem to comprehend,
Not only that, but here people feel personally offended you drove by them at a higher speed
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42989.50
      01-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #51
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

NJ-FL is longer than I've ever done, but as long as we're sharing I did get my TT RS from a dealer in Atlanta. I did a one-way car rental instead of flying, though. Agree with the others that a road trip home in a new car is pretty fun, especially when the trip home can include a short detour to the Tail of the Dragon (which during your trip you might be able to swing?). We made Killboy's weekly highlights and everything.
      01-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #52
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you don't have the ZCP seats, how would you now? Or are you just guessing? Or you read what other people said?

I have a non-Comp 2016 M4 and my wife has a 2018 M3 ZCP. We did Euro Delivery on both cars and drove almost 2,000 miles each time in Europe in two weeks both times. The ZCP seats were no less comfortable than the non-ZCP seats.

Since then I"ve ridden or driven for thousands of miles in my wife ZCP. The lack of lumbar support, for me, and I have a bad back, isn't an issue.

Don't state something as a fact, if you don't have the experience to back it up.
Everyone is different obviously. I spent 30 minutes driving a CP car and the cutouts made my ribs sore. I always leave the lumbar adjustment on the minimum, so the lack of adjustable lumbar didn't bother me. I honestly don't understand why they have the cutouts at all, doesn't really seem to serve a purpose. If they are going to have cutouts, they should have at least put them somewhere logical so you could use proper track belts if you so desired.
      01-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #53
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Everyone is different obviously. I spent 30 minutes driving a CP car and the cutouts made my ribs sore. I always leave the lumbar adjustment on the minimum, so the lack of adjustable lumbar didn't bother me. I honestly don't understand why they have the cutouts at all, doesn't really seem to serve a purpose. If they are going to have cutouts, they should have at least put them somewhere logical so you could use proper track belts if you so desired.
Yes, everybody is different. I understand that all shapes and sizes can't fit comfortably in the same space. I'm 5'9", 175 pounds, and I don't have a problem with them. Sorry your experience was not optimal.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #54
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
The best part is when someone or when you move over and then you can both do a roll on race to vmax

I like the tail of the dragon and other ideas here, but my $0.02 would be to do track days across whatever type of delivery you do. I did spa and ring during Euro, but could not get Cota or other track days to line up on redelivery.

Any other way of getting a new bmw does indeed feel suboptimal.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #55
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The best part is when someone or when you move over and then you can both do a roll on race to vmax

I like the tail of the dragon and other ideas here, but my $0.02 would be to do track days across whatever type of delivery you do. I did spa and ring during Euro, but could not get Cota or other track days to line up on redelivery.

Any other way of getting a new bmw does indeed feel suboptimal.
Awesome! In 2016 I was with a group and we did track days at Nurburgring Nordschleife, Circuit Park Zandvoort, and Spa. It was definitely the trip of a lifetime! If you're going to buy a new BMW, Euro Delivery is the only way to do it!

(BTW, some photos of the 2016 trip can still be seen on Facebook with this hashtag: #CentennialMTour. Mine is the Sakhir Orange M4, kind of stands out among all of the blue, white, and gray M2s, M3s, and the other M4)

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #56
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! In 2016 I was with a group and we did track days at Nurburgring Nordschleife, Circuit Park Zandvoort, and Spa. It was definitely the trip of a lifetime! If you're going to buy a new BMW, Euro Delivery is the only way to do it!

(BTW, some photos of the 2016 trip can still be seen on Facebook with this hashtag: #CentennialMTour. Mine is the Sakhir Orange M4, kind of stands out among all of the blue, white, and gray M2s, M3s, and the other M4)
Having said all this, PCD redelivery was underwhelming and I would not recommend it to experienced track users with a long drive home.

The “track” is like a kart track and it’s a novice program (like, never driven the track at all) that’s super basic.

I had some regret about this on my drive home to SoCal. The cost of the travel to PCD would have been better spend on track days at home.

Is there redelivery at Thermal these days?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #57
Laostuh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Quote:
Was it new? New car transfers are pretty straightforward from what I understand. I was looking for used, and wasn't comfortable buying something used sight unseen. Was going to fly out to check the car out first, then take a week in the area with family, then have the car shipped back. But CA laws don't allow for temporary tags for cars sold out of state without paying the 9% sales tax (our tax in NC is 3%). The dealer will lie to you and tell you that you'll get the CA taxes refunded when you actually register it in your home state, but it's simply not true. I called the CA DMV and they told me there's no way they are going to refund anyone anything, ever, regardless of where the car gets registered. From what I understood, private party sales are a different matter in that you can at least drive the car on CA roads for a short period of time (IIRC correctly, 1-2 days).
You can ask the dealer for a '1 way temp registration' which would allow you 24hrs to get car driven out of Caifornia. Not sure how easy it is to get but my dealer has done it on one of our deals.

Once you're out of California will anybody really stop you to check?

Not sure if still exists though as that was a couple years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #58
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Having said all this, PCD redelivery was underwhelming and I would not recommend it to experienced track users with a long drive home.

The “track” is like a kart track and it’s a novice program (like, never driven the track at all) that’s super basic.

I had some regret about this on my drive home to SoCal. The cost of the travel to PCD would have been better spend on track days at home.

Is there redelivery at Thermal these days?
My wife and I went to the Performance Center East for a 2-day M School in October 2014. The M School is definitely more than just the delivery experience. It was pretty cool at the time, even though I had driven several SoCal tracks for several years before that in various cars. We've been back a couple of times, the last time at the 50th Anniversary BMW CCA Oktoberfest last October, where we did a partial-day "M Experience" event. I don't remember the track being that short! If I lived within a 10-12 hour drive from PCE, I'd do PCD because, why not, and it's free! Maybe a 2-day road trip away, but farther than that and it loses its appeal.

I've been to the Performance Center West at Thermal a bunch of times, once for a free "M Track Days" and a bunch of other times with either the San Diego or LA BMW CCA chapters for low-cost one-day "M Experience" events. We have another one coming up a week from Saturday. I won a 1-day M School in a raffle here on Bimmerpost and my wife and I went to PCW in November 2017. BMW now has access to some of the longer main tracks at The Thermal Club, so the track is more interesting. The best thing about events at the Performance Centers is that it's their cars, their tires, and their gas, all for a relatively low price! BTW, the half-day "M Track Day" that I attended for free several years ago now costs $495! You can do some 2-day HPDEs for less than that!

When PCW finally finished their permanent B&M building at Thermal (in 2018?), there was some speculation that they might do deliveries there but they have stated that "this will not happen in the foreseeable future". They're leasing the land that they're located on from The Thermal Club, there's no real "showroom" like at PCE, and they really don't have the ability to store and prep customer vehicles there.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #59
Ray Khan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Audi S4 6MT, 2019 X3 M40i

Doing PCD on 4/1 and then driving back to Boston. Bringing a roll of track wrap and hoping for decent weather. May be driving top down with heat cranked and seat heaters on high.
      01-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #60
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Khan View Post
Doing PCD on 4/1 and then driving back to Boston. Bringing a roll of track wrap and hoping for decent weather. May be driving top down with heat cranked and seat heaters on high.
Don't forget the heated steering wheel too!
      01-16-2020, 06:43 PM   #61
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherM4n View Post
NJ-FL is longer than I've ever done, but as long as we're sharing I did get my TT RS from a dealer in Atlanta. I did a one-way car rental instead of flying, though. Agree with the others that a road trip home in a new car is pretty fun, especially when the trip home can include a short detour to the Tail of the Dragon (which during your trip you might be able to swing?). We made Killboy's weekly highlights and everything.
This time of the year isn’t the best for the Tail of the Dragon.
      01-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #62
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My wife and I went to the Performance Center East for a 2-day M School in October 2014. The M School is definitely more than just the delivery experience. It was pretty cool at the time, even though I had driven several SoCal tracks for several years before that in various cars. We've been back a couple of times, the last time at the 50th Anniversary BMW CCA Oktoberfest last October, where we did a partial-day "M Experience" event. I don't remember the track being that short! If I lived within a 10-12 hour drive from PCE, I'd do PCD because, why not, and it's free! Maybe a 2-day road trip away, but farther than that and it loses its appeal.

I've been to the Performance Center West at Thermal a bunch of times, once for a free "M Track Days" and a bunch of other times with either the San Diego or LA BMW CCA chapters for low-cost one-day "M Experience" events. We have another one coming up a week from Saturday. I won a 1-day M School in a raffle here on Bimmerpost and my wife and I went to PCW in November 2017. BMW now has access to some of the longer main tracks at The Thermal Club, so the track is more interesting. The best thing about events at the Performance Centers is that it's their cars, their tires, and their gas, all for a relatively low price! BTW, the half-day "M Track Day" that I attended for free several years ago now costs $495! You can do some 2-day HPDEs for less than that!

When PCW finally finished their permanent B&M building at Thermal (in 2018?), there was some speculation that they might do deliveries there but they have stated that "this will not happen in the foreseeable future". They're leasing the land that they're located on from The Thermal Club, there's no real "showroom" like at PCE, and they really don't have the ability to store and prep customer vehicles there.
Yes, pcd redelivery was a 4 day trip for me, so really wasn’t worth it.

For the cost of that air ticket + road trip accommodations + gas, I could have done an SM competition weekend.

But I wanted to max out the M delivery experience and am glad I did it once, as I think the OP should.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:52 PM   #63
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pippin View Post
Quote:
Funny. I did the exact same thing back in early September, though it took me a little over 11 hours only stopping for gas. Dealer for you? I purchased mine from tambat at BMW of Northridge. Awesome guy, awesome dealership experience!
I was really picky in the color, packages, and 6mt. I found it near Chicago at BMW of Barrington.

Music and podcasts kept my drive going and I stayed in WV for 5-6 hours to sleep but got going at 6am and got to see the beautiful sunrise in the WV mountains
This dealership always gets some smoking cars. I bought my wife's SUV there
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:34 PM   #64
Tintking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP AY convertible

In my opinion PPF is a great way to protect your paint and wise investment on a new car or a preowned in excellent condition. I’ve seen too many nice cars with chipped and pitted paint on the bumper and hood. But if you’re not bothered seeing these things when you’re up close or when you are cleaning,waxing and detailing your car then save the money. OP as someone else said, if you don’t want to pick up some new chips on your way home and you’re not ready to spend the money on PPF ,you should at least temporarily protect it and then decide later if you want to do PPF. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #65
The_Pippin
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36dreamer View Post
Same destination and general feeling about driving vs flying, but flew to Boston this summer to buy my F80 and drove it back over 2 days. It was awesome as I met with friends in NYC and outside DC as part of the trip so it was totally worth it.

I could have shipped it for about the same price, due to a hookup at a dealer here, but chose to fly on JetBlue and drive it back and do not regret enjoying the time alone in the car.
That's awesome man! Yeah the dealership in Chicago for me paid for my flight up there from NC and also picked me up from the airport. Everything worked out perfectly and I didn't think I would, but I quite enjoyed the 12-13 hour drive home.

Would do it again in a heart beat.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #66
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep
Drives: 2022 Imola Red II G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudZERO View Post
Hey Gang,

Out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many of you decided to fly in to a different state and take delivery of your BMW M4 instead of putting it on a truck. Also how long was the drive and what did you do to make the best of it?

I am trying to figure out how crazy a New Jersey to Florida drive would be.

It all depends on what type of person you are. Generally if you just want to get into any M than stay local. If you are the type of person that is specifically lookin for a certain color or options then broaden your search locations.

Last November I ended up flying out to Minnesota to purchase a 18 Austin Yellow F80 and drove it 26 hours back to Florida. I drove it because it was snow bird season and it would have taken about a month to month and half to get it. I have no regrets what so ever. It was the best / worst drive of my life lol but worth getting what you want. I actually documented it on my Journal page if your interested.

YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/c/TheDailyDriven/featured
Appreciate 0