GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-01-2024, 05:27 PM   #23
noone
Second Lieutenant
201
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Thx, I’ve got PPF on the entire front clip. I’m over the PPF craze to be honest. I’m pretty sure I’m going to find cut marks when I remove it in a few years. Plus yellow spots on the film that won’t come out from bug or tree stains.

Thx for the responses. The other thread I’m on says that tire wider tire width doesn’t necessarily give more griip, so a lot to consider. Appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 05:40 PM   #24
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
137
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: '17 F80 MGM
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Central FL

iTrader: (1)

Yeah I saw, I've personally tested standard * s 285 MPS4S and 295.

This is the best setup hands down, it adds loads more grip and is not too much for the rim it's close to perfect IMO. Stock setup is very stretched
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 06:07 PM   #25
noone
Second Lieutenant
201
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

And you run the 265 up front, correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:49 PM   #26
noone
Second Lieutenant
201
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Pulled the trigger on a set of PS4S on my stock ‘18 ZCP with 666M rims.

265/30 front and 295/30 back.

Couldn’t be happier. Love the wider 295s over the stock 285s.

Looks nasty!
Appreciate 1
pokerface432.50
      03-25-2024, 10:45 PM   #27
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
137
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: '17 F80 MGM
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Central FL

iTrader: (1)

Glad you love it agree it looks great, car puts power down so much better too which was most important to me!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 05:36 PM   #28
quikM2
Captain
Canada
372
Rep
743
Posts

Drives: 2017 Jahre M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Just to clarify as I am in the same situation as discussed above - my PSS are done and I'm ordering new PS4S and will get the star spec rears. The best size which doesn't rub on a comp edition with 666M wheels is the 295/30/20. How about the front? Are most running the oem 265 or going up one to 275?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 10:18 PM   #29
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
137
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: '17 F80 MGM
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Central FL

iTrader: (1)

Go 265 up front 275 is way too wide for the standard with up front width in PS4S and feels awful. Keep in mind a PS4S is typically wider than the same size PSS
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 02:10 AM   #30
noone
Second Lieutenant
201
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Stock BMW ZCP on 666M 20" wheels.

285 30 BMW * spec PSS is 11.4" wide.
295 30 generic PS4 tire is 11.9" wide.

So it's a half inch gain in width exactly.

IMO, I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference in rear traction from the stock PSS 285 30 to the 295 30 P4S from what I can remember when the car was new. But I've only put about 50 miles in the new tires thus far.

But it does look nicer for sure from the rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 08:55 AM   #31
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
2483
Rep
5,953
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Stock BMW ZCP on 666M 20" wheels.

285 30 BMW * spec PSS is 11.4" wide.
295 30 generic PS4 tire is 11.9" wide.

So it's a half inch gain in width exactly.

IMO, I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference in rear traction from the stock PSS 285 30 to the 295 30 P4S from what I can remember when the car was new. But I've only put about 50 miles in the new tires thus far.

But it does look nicer for sure from the rear.
There’s a MPSS* on TireRack that has a section width of 11.9” (see pic below). Why are you comparing section widths, not tread widths? Also, the section width of a tire varies with the width of rim the tire is mounted on. Tire Rack and other online resources have measured section widths of the same tire when mounted on different wheel widths. The rule of the thumb is for every 0.5” of increasing wheel width, the tire section width increase by 0.20” (within limits for a given tire). For example, the MPSS 295/30-20 below shows it has an 11.9” section width when mounted on a 10.5” wheel. However, you plan on running a 295 on its lowest allowable wheel width of 10” which would reduce the section width to 11.7”. Furthermore, the corners of the tire tread width gets flatter (i.e., effective increased tread width) as you increase wheel width; i.e., a tire is better supported by a wider wheel (within tire wheel width limits). There are a large number of online resources (articles and videos) discussing the use of wide tires mounted on their min allowable wheel width and they all prove a wider tire on a narrower wheel reduces grip and increases lap times. A 295 on a 10” wheel isn’t the best combo.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
alex23642935.00
      04-15-2024, 09:52 AM   #32
quikM2
Captain
Canada
372
Rep
743
Posts

Drives: 2017 Jahre M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Is there not a * ps4s in the 295/30/20 size? I am looking for those and can't find them online. Does anyone know the sku if they have those? Or is the only * option the 285?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 10:20 AM   #33
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
2483
Rep
5,953
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Is there not a * ps4s in the 295/30/20 size? I am looking for those and can't find them online. Does anyone know the sku if they have those? Or is the only * option the 285?
There is no MPS4S 295/30-20 *spec tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 10:42 AM   #34
quikM2
Captain
Canada
372
Rep
743
Posts

Drives: 2017 Jahre M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

So the reviews are still more positive to go with the 295 over the star spec 285?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 05:13 PM   #35
quikM2
Captain
Canada
372
Rep
743
Posts

Drives: 2017 Jahre M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
There’s a MPSS* on TireRack that has a section width of 11.9” (see pic below). Why are you comparing section widths, not tread widths? Also, the section width of a tire varies with the width of rim the tire is mounted on. Tire Rack and other online resources have measured section widths of the same tire when mounted on different wheel widths. The rule of the thumb is for every 0.5” of increasing wheel width, the tire section width increase by 0.20” (within limits for a given tire). For example, the MPSS 295/30-20 below shows it has an 11.9” section width when mounted on a 10.5” wheel. However, you plan on running a 295 on its lowest allowable wheel width of 10” which would reduce the section width to 11.7”. Furthermore, the corners of the tire tread width gets flatter (i.e., effective increased tread width) as you increase wheel width; i.e., a tire is better supported by a wider wheel (within tire wheel width limits). There are a large number of online resources (articles and videos) discussing the use of wide tires mounted on their min allowable wheel width and they all prove a wider tire on a narrower wheel reduces grip and increases lap times. A 295 on a 10” wheel isn’t the best combo.
So to clarify again before I order you are saying the 285* will perform better on the 10 inch 666m wheel? the 295 might look better and technically put more rubber / grip down but overall the 285 is best with the oem size wheel? thanks for bearing with me
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 05:19 PM   #36
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
2483
Rep
5,953
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
So to clarify again before I order you are saying the 285* will perform better on the 10 inch 666m wheel? the 295 might look better and technically put more rubber / grip down but overall the 285 is best with the oem size wheel? thanks for bearing with me
Yes. A better way to look at it is you’ll use 100% of the 285 and it will have good support by the wheel whereas you won’t get 100% out of the 295 on a 10” and it will be less forgiving at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 01:10 PM   #37
pokerface
Colonel
pokerface's Avatar
Canada
433
Rep
2,527
Posts

Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Pulled the trigger on a set of PS4S on my stock ‘18 ZCP with 666M rims.

265/30 front and 295/30 back.

Couldn’t be happier. Love the wider 295s over the stock 285s.

Looks nasty!
Hi

Just confirming - 265/30/20 PS4S non-Star fronts on 666, no rubbing on F80? did you have to run spacers?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 06:00 PM   #38
quikM2
Captain
Canada
372
Rep
743
Posts

Drives: 2017 Jahre M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Hi

Just confirming - 265/30/20 PS4S non-Star fronts on 666, no rubbing on F80? did you have to run spacers?
265/30/20 is the oem front size so definitely not
Appreciate 1
pokerface432.50
      04-17-2024, 11:21 AM   #39
pokerface
Colonel
pokerface's Avatar
Canada
433
Rep
2,527
Posts

Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
265/30/20 is the oem front size so definitely not
Thank you, I shall give it a go. picked up a front pair of non star spec and it seems to have some rubbing marks on the inside section of the tread, was wondering what was up with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 11:44 AM   #40
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
2483
Rep
5,953
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Thank you, I shall give it a go. picked up a front pair of non star spec and it seems to have some rubbing marks on the inside section of the tread, was wondering what was up with that.
There are two 265/30-20 MPS4S and the both have the same tread width, section width and rolling diameter. However, the MPSS *spec 265/30-20 has a tread with that is 0.5” narrower, but the same section width and rolling diameter, as the MPS4S tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 12:18 PM   #41
quikM2
Captain
Canada
372
Rep
743
Posts

Drives: 2017 Jahre M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
There are two 265/30-20 MPS4S and the both have the same tread width, section width and rolling diameter. However, the MPSS *spec 265/30-20 has a tread with that is 0.5” narrower, but the same section width and rolling diameter, as the MPS4S tires.
I was told there wasn't a star spec 265 and only a star 285.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 12:25 PM   #42
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
2483
Rep
5,953
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I was told there wasn't a star spec 265 and only a star 285.
There is a PSS *spec in 265/30. I was responding to the person saying his MPS4S has some sort of rubbing marks on the inside edge of the tire. I was making a comparison to the MPS4S non-*spec and the MPSS *spec (oem comp/cs tire). I did not say there’s a MPS4S *spec in 265/30.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 12:37 PM   #43
quikM2
Captain
Canada
372
Rep
743
Posts

Drives: 2017 Jahre M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
There is a PSS *spec in 265/30. I was responding to the person saying his MPS4S has some sort of rubbing marks on the inside edge of the tire. I was making a comparison to the MPS4S non-*spec and the MPSS *spec (oem comp/cs tire). I did not say there’s a MPS4S *spec in 265/30.
oh the supersports, yes got it, makes sense. At the end of the day those are the tires designed for the f80 and the ps4s are technically for the G. I am interested to feel the difference if any when I move from these old PSS to brand new PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 06:48 PM   #44
pokerface
Colonel
pokerface's Avatar
Canada
433
Rep
2,527
Posts

Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the confirmation.

I will check in with my outcome:

PS4S 265/30/20 and 295/30/20 + 666M + MP HAS. No spacers.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by pokerface; 04-21-2024 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST